Gennaro Gattuso Thread

When is the first clash between Gattuso and Zamparini?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MilanMB

Serendipity
Reaction score
"Grintusso" doesn't even make sense to me, one of the things I think we lack the most is grinta and a sense of urgency.

Jasper

Maldini tier
Reaction score
Fav. Players
3; Marat Safin; Tiziano Crudeli; 2Pac; Christian Bale; Martin M??rsepp; Balotelli.
Rome is a point behind us.

image.php

Reaction score
Some of these matches have been huge blows. True. But he didn’t deserve to be sacked neither.

What I appreciate most about Rino is that he works with what he gets without complaining or looking for excuses when it actually was so easy to do so. He is very protective to his squad and refreshingly honest whenever he speaks. Last bit not least the squad fights mail and tooth for him.

Meanwhile we are still missing very important pieces, especially in midfield, who were desperately needed in order to play that entertaining way we were praised from a lot of experts at the beginning of the season. Heck there were experts saying we play the most entertaining football in the whole league.

I mean without Biglia and Bonaventura we lost a lot of technique and creativity in midfield. Hakans incredible dump in form came also quite unexpected. Higuain since the Juve game and even before was nothing more than a shadow of himself. Our CBs being injured all at once didnt help us keeping clean sheets neither. Baka needed time to adapt. With all those injuries we had no bench to rotate.

Yet we are still here, on 4th place, with a coach deemed by many here as an imbecile. I dont know guys. In my books Rino is doing a phenomenal job only few could have reproduced if you look at all the circumstances that hit us at once.

I agree...look at what Sarri is doing with Chelsea...Sarri was deemed as the coach we should have picked up. People here are often so quick to jump to conclusions. One or two bad games, you're 2 points away from the 4th place and...Rino is a bad coach, sack him immediately LOL

Buske

Milan Legend
Reaction score
^There are many articles lately, from journos/ex players who think he is done miracle with the squad he has.

helloAgain

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
i don't mind people hating gattuso, he has some flaws. but stop with this constant nagging, we get it. people complain about higuain sulking but, this forum is on whole another level when it comes to complaining. making every other post on match thread about how we need to sack the coach is getting very annoying.

Qaas

Vi må tage det som det kommer
Reaction score
Fav. Players
KAKA, Maldini, Nesta, Dida, Inzaghi, Sheva, TSilva, R9, Raul, Casillas, Schmeichel, Messi, Zlatan
Some of these matches have been huge blows. True. But he didn’t deserve to be sacked neither.

What I appreciate most about Rino is that he works with what he gets without complaining or looking for excuses when it actually was so easy to do so. He is very protective to his squad and refreshingly honest whenever he speaks. Last bit not least the squad fights mail and tooth for him.

Meanwhile we are still missing very important pieces, especially in midfield, who were desperately needed in order to play that entertaining way we were praised from a lot of experts at the beginning of the season. Heck there were experts saying we play the most entertaining football in the whole league.

I mean without Biglia and Bonaventura we lost a lot of technique and creativity in midfield. Hakans incredible dump in form came also quite unexpected. Higuain since the Juve game and even before was nothing more than a shadow of himself. Our CBs being injured all at once didnt help us keeping clean sheets neither. Baka needed time to adapt. With all those injuries we had no bench to rotate.

Yet we are still here, on 4th place, with a coach deemed by many here as an imbecile. I dont know guys. In my books Rino is doing a phenomenal job only few could have reproduced if you look at all the circumstances that hit us at once.

I like everything about gattuso except his tactics in game. His post-match interviews are refreshing to hear/read and seeing him on the sidelines is nostalgic. I would really love for him to be a success at milan.. both he and us deserve that.

And i do agree with you regarding the injury crisis, but even with our “b-team” we shouldn’t have been dominated by the likes of frosinone.

Anyways we are in 4th right now, so I won’t complain... so far :D

Jasper

Maldini tier
Reaction score
Fav. Players
3; Marat Safin; Tiziano Crudeli; 2Pac; Christian Bale; Martin M??rsepp; Balotelli.
Anyways we are in 4th right now, so I won’t complain... so far :D

Should he be slandered/fired next time we don't play during the weekend tho?

Buske

Milan Legend
Reaction score
i don't mind people hating gattuso, he has some flaws. but stop with this constant nagging, we get it. people complain about higuain sulking but, this forum is on whole another level when it comes to complaining. making every other post on match thread about how we need to sack the coach is getting very annoying.

:thumbsup:

Luckily for us, king of complaining is not here atm (banned)

Qaas

Vi må tage det som det kommer
Reaction score
Fav. Players
KAKA, Maldini, Nesta, Dida, Inzaghi, Sheva, TSilva, R9, Raul, Casillas, Schmeichel, Messi, Zlatan
Official: Gennaro Gattuso Thread

Should he be slandered/fired next time we don't play during the weekend tho?

Depends on the mood

sheva

suso's dog
Reaction score
so after F+M's players and two mercatos we still have no attacking plan, and yet fans blame it on our players?

this Napoli team was the weakest we played in maybe 3 seasons, with the great Ruiz& Zielinski being a replacements for Hamsik& Allan, and yet Grittuso subs in Laxalt in order to.. play for the draw?

we could MAYBE get 4th place this season, but people who fool themselves by thinking we would achieve anything of value with this coach come CL\scudetto time are coming from a place of sentimentality, same sentimentality that got us Pippo, Seedorf and probably Oddo next, and killed their reputation.

so please let's keep our legends at their place, and hire competent coaches who can evolve us to the next level of being a champion team. Gattuso is a caretaker and nothing more, failed against Arsenal& Olympiakos LMAO.

and for fans who bring up 2-0 wins against Sampdoria levels teams as an example, exactly.

Colossus

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Zidane, Shevchenko, Ronaldo, Maldini, Nesta, Pirlo, Xavi, Scholes, Montolivo, Modric, Thiago Silva
so after F+M's players and two mercatos we still have no attacking plan, and yet fans blame it on our players?

this Napoli team was the weakest we played in maybe 3 seasons, with the great Ruiz& Zielinski being a replacements for Hamsik& Allan, and yet Grittuso subs in Laxalt in order to.. play for the draw?

we could MAYBE get 4th place this season, but people who fool themselves by thinking we would achieve anything of value with this coach come CL\scudetto time are coming from a place of sentimentality, same sentimentality that got us Pippo, Seedorf and probably Oddo next, and killed their reputation.

so please let's keep our legends at their place, and hire competent coaches who can evolve us to the next level of being a champion team. Gattuso is a caretaker and nothing more, failed against Arsenal& Olympiakos LMAO.

and for fans who bring up 2-0 wins against Sampdoria levels teams as an example, exactly.

Honestly, I don't know if Gattuso is the answer to our troubles long term.

But I'm not sure how much more another coach could get out of these limited players. Our team lacks speed, physicality, athleticism, passing quality, creativity, decision making, etc.

We literally do not have a single player capable of leading a counterattack driving with the ball, so a counterattacking gameplan is out of the window.

Then when teams press us really high we do not have the pace, passing quality or press resistance to threaten in behind them enough for them to respect us enough to drop their defensive line.

We are decent at deep buildup due to having composed defenders, but lack so much in the final third.

Gattuso can't tell these players where to pass in an attack, he can just set them up and direct them as to how to move on the pitch.

Gattuso somehow made a functional team with 2 ball to feet wingers in Hakan and Suso function with two mezz'ala having to cover immense amount of ground to be a functional attacking unit (Kessie and Jack)

With Jack injured, and Kessie having zero alternative, our lack of depth has made us run out of steam attacking wise. Paqueta seems like he can be a decent Jack alternative but he isn't going to drive a team forward.

Right now we have a pure destroyer at DM with zero passing range or tactical brain, a tired out of form box to box player, and a brand new Brazilian import in our midfield 3. Oh, and we have literally ZERO viable substitutes for any of them until Biglia and Jack return.

Then our front 3 is a crafty creative dribbler who is slow and lacks ability to get in behind defences, a young kid who lacks physical presence and combination play, and a slow, idiotic, shoot on sight player who has yet to score a goal in the league this season while playing in a front 3. Once again our only alternatives to our wide players are Fabio Borini and Samu Castillejo. That should say enough.

The only passable areas of our squad are goalkeeper and defence (and even the defence could potentially use an upgrade at CB and LB, but that isn't anywhere near the priority as the midfield and wide attacking areas)

What we are witnessing is a weak squad of players doing what they are capable of....which isn't very much.

With another winger and a midfield signing we could make a very good run for the top 4. Then we decide what to do about the coach IMO

But long term, the squad needs a lot of work.

General

Official RnB Mercato Stress Counselor
Reaction score
Fav. Players
People who Try Harder, semantics aficionado
"Grintusso" doesn't even make sense to me, one of the things I think we lack the most is grinta and a sense of urgency.

This

General

Official RnB Mercato Stress Counselor
Reaction score
Fav. Players
People who Try Harder, semantics aficionado

milanator

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Since Paquetá joined we are slowly but steadily improving in attack, such things don't happen over night.

helloAgain

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Honestly, I don't know if Gattuso is the answer to our troubles long term.

But I'm not sure how much more another coach could get out of these limited players. Our team lacks speed, physicality, athleticism, passing quality, creativity, decision making, etc.

We literally do not have a single player capable of leading a counterattack driving with the ball, so a counterattacking gameplan is out of the window.

Then when teams press us really high we do not have the pace, passing quality or press resistance to threaten in behind them enough for them to respect us enough to drop their defensive line.

We are decent at deep buildup due to having composed defenders, but lack so much in the final third.

Gattuso can't tell these players where to pass in an attack, he can just set them up and direct them as to how to move on the pitch.

Gattuso somehow made a functional team with 2 ball to feet wingers in Hakan and Suso function with two mezz'ala having to cover immense amount of ground to be a functional attacking unit (Kessie and Jack)

With Jack injured, and Kessie having zero alternative, our lack of depth has made us run out of steam attacking wise. Paqueta seems like he can be a decent Jack alternative but he isn't going to drive a team forward.

Right now we have a pure destroyer at DM with zero passing range or tactical brain, a tired out of form box to box player, and a brand new Brazilian import in our midfield 3. Oh, and we have literally ZERO viable substitutes for any of them until Biglia and Jack return.

Then our front 3 is a crafty creative dribbler who is slow and lacks ability to get in behind defences, a young kid who lacks physical presence and combination play, and a slow, idiotic, shoot on sight player who has yet to score a goal in the league this season while playing in a front 3. Once again our only alternatives to our wide players are Fabio Borini and Samu Castillejo. That should say enough.

The only passable areas of our squad are goalkeeper and defence (and even the defence could potentially use an upgrade at CB and LB, but that isn't anywhere near the priority as the midfield and wide attacking areas)

What we are witnessing is a weak squad of players doing what they are capable of....which isn't very much.

With another winger and a midfield signing we could make a very good run for the top 4. Then we decide what to do about the coach IMO

But long term, the squad needs a lot of work.

our attackers are very isolated because our midfield carries zero goal-scoring/attacking threat. hakan not being able to score at all has added to our misery. paqueta and baka have helped cover two of our biggest concerns in the mid: creativity and physique. now paqueta and kessie needs to make their presence felt in the attacking department. i'm very optimistic on paqueta but kessie needs to get his hit together and be more adventurous. even if he loses the ball, he can still recover because of his dynamics.

i'm more optimistic for the second half of the season. baka, conti are like new addition. paqueta looks very promising and i liked what i saw from piatek.

Ronin

Milansochist
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Nesta, Gattuso, Rui Costa, Albertini, Serginho, Seedorf, Redondo, Ibrahimovic, Ronaldinho
One thing we need to improve ASAP is our set pieces. The commentators were saying that we're the worst team in top5 leagues at this criteria. Incredible...

Can't blame Rino for causing it, as it's been a problem for 4-5 years now. But, he's to blame for not improving it.

Goodfella

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Can't blame Rino for causing it, as it's been a problem for 4-5 years now. But, he's to blame for not improving it.

We were actually pretty good at it under Miha and Montella.

I also remember Rami scoring a few under Seedorf.

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Maldini, Buffon, Rino*Pirlo*Clarence, Sheva, Totti, Ibra, Pippo, Giacomo, Carlo, Il Dottore
Magnificent match. Most assured defensive performance I've seen from Milan since Allegri. Grazie Rino, you are becoming better and better.

Soldier_of_god

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
cr7, Kaka, sheva, zidane, pastore , zlatan ibra,T.silva, jovetic, Arjen robben, drogba, suarez
got to give him credit.

Fabio

U mirin brah?
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Kaká, Cafu, Ronaldinho, Pato, Dida, Gattuso, Balotelli, Borini, Honda, Saelemaekers
Perfect match. grazie rino

WILL2K

Magical Milan
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Pippo , Maldini , Kaka , Zizou ..
No one could have done better given the circumstances. Hats-off!

Goodfella

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Magnificent match. Most assured defensive performance I've seen from Milan since Allegri. Grazie Rino, you are becoming better and better.

Eh, we had just as good defensive performances, if not better, around this time last year.
But there's no shame in that. The whole team was a joy to watch during that period. IIRC we had the best or 2nd best defensive record in 2018 at some point.
We seem to once again be peaking after Christmas.

The grinta and mobility from Jan-Feb 2018 is back!

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Maldini, Buffon, Rino*Pirlo*Clarence, Sheva, Totti, Ibra, Pippo, Giacomo, Carlo, Il Dottore
Eh, we had just as good defensive performances, if not better, around this time last year.
But there's no shame in that. The whole team was a joy to watch during that period. IIRC we had the best or 2nd best defensive record in 2018 at some point.

We did have the best defensive record in the league for that period last year, but the movements never looked as fluid as last night. The improved quality of players play a big part - Bakayoko and 2019 Donnarumma are at a different level to our players from this time last year.

mrki

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
maldini, pippo, boban

Coz of the preparations and pause in winter. Lets see how much steam we will have.

Good that the form is ok coz now its roma and atalanta...

Ronin

Milansochist
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Nesta, Gattuso, Rui Costa, Albertini, Serginho, Seedorf, Redondo, Ibrahimovic, Ronaldinho
Grazie Grintactics!

Schedule