Milan's History Thread

Australiano1980

#RiseTheBorders
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Van Basten, Baresi, Savicevic, Gullit, Maldini, Romario, Zidane, Suker, Litmanen, Redondo, Rivaldo

joyrider

Il Moderati
Staff member
Reaction score
After Oscar Washingtons spell at Milan savicevic was never the same again

Australiano1980

#RiseTheBorders
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Van Basten, Baresi, Savicevic, Gullit, Maldini, Romario, Zidane, Suker, Litmanen, Redondo, Rivaldo
kaka and sheva also wasnt the same when they make their comebacks.. but in their primes.. i would choose savi without a doubt.

Mr. Milanista

Milanista since Birth
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Nesta, Zidane, Figo, Romagnoli
After hearing that Van Basten probably is the most complete forward of all time and watching the very few games I've seen with Sacchi there's no doubt I'd choose him.

joyrider

Il Moderati
Staff member
Reaction score
kaka and sheva also wasnt the same when they make their comebacks.. but in their primes.. i would choose savi without a doubt.

savicevic from red star with a young mihailovic was unstoppable

if i had to choose, i'd go for vanbasten

b@D~HorsiE

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Tendulkar, Maldini, Damon Hill, Gattuso, Leander Paes, Jim Courier, LT.

Last edited:

Massaro94

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maradona-Shevchenko-Zizou
honest question

in a parallel reality where we could get one legend from the past(who has played for milan) with exact the same quality skillset etc who would u choose??
a prime kaka, sheva, mvb, gullit, ibra, savicevic, weah, baggio, rui, any other.. (select only attackers )
i would go for mvb first place then sheva and then savicevic

If it was only one player then i'd opt for Baresi.

But you want only attacare :lol:

So for that I will have to go with Gullit.

Even after Milan's 1987 title win many Italians remained sceptical of Sacchi's methods. Before the final against Steaua, he brought an article by Brera with him into the changing rooms, telling his players: "The most famous Italian journalist says that the Romanians are masters on the ball, and that we need to wait for them to come at us before we try to strike them on the counter-attack. What do you guys reckon?" According to Sacchi's account, Gullit stood up and replied: "We will attack them from the first second".
https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2013/may/24/great-european-cup-teams-milan

To date it was one of the most lop sided finals of the UCL (even more so than 94). First of it's kind since the Madrid team from the late 50's. Gullits whole attitude towards football made it easier for Sacchi to implement his philosophy. Sacchi himself said Gullit was my #1

Here's the thing though. I only started following Football from italia 90... and Milan around 18 months to 2 years after that. So i'd missed most of Gullit n MVBs good work.

So out of that list, the one's i've seen more of in my lifetime i have to go with Shevchenko. In all my time of following Milan, I don't think I've ever been as happy in acquiring a player as the day when news broke we'd signed Sheva.

I knew exactly what we were gettin... a world class BOMBER. He'd just come off his best season in the UCL by guiding Kiev to a semi final and scoring 10 goals along the way. We signed him at the perfect time and he delivered from the get go. I think the game vs Lazio (4-4) is when most serie a fans started to take notice of him.

He absolutely terrorised Inter. Scored in 3 of the 4 UCL games we played against em. He never let me down.

He had it all :cry:

Weah was a bigger killer than savicevic, even bierhoff too

Savicevic , simone and massaro were different, not the same in the same line as above

But all of them had wc midfielders and defenders behind them

+ coaches with balls and management who was 100% committed and not having to battle lawsuits for screwing a underage girl

:star::star::star::star::star:

King George. Dude could win a game in a flash.

I just clocked something. We signed both Weah and Sheva right after they'd topped the UCL goalscoring charts. (Papin might also be a possibilty) :eek:

Imagine that happening today. Signing Messi or Cr7 the first season they'd topped the UCL charts :lol: Well that's what :b: was doing in the 90's. I know he's messed up in recent years. But it's hard to hate on el presidente after all those years he spoilt us rotten.

Last edited:

Australiano1980

#RiseTheBorders
Reaction score
Fav. Players
savicevic from red star with a young mihailovic was unstoppable

if i had to choose, i'd go for vanbasten

Im a fanboy of MVB, but i would pick up someone from midfield to play today, i think mostly coz its been so long that we dont see a good midfield playing for milan.

joyrider

Il Moderati
Staff member
Reaction score
June 5th 1955 – There was a record victory for AC Milan, as their greatest winning margin in an away fixture came in the 8-0 defeat of Genoa. Gunnar Nordahl led the way for the Rossoneri with a hat-trick.

Juan Schiaffino and Amleto Frignani both grabbed doubles in the rout, with the remaining strike coming through Nils Liedholm. The victory put Milan within a point of the Serie A title.

Sorriso Sempre

Milan Legend
Reaction score
June 5th 1955 – There was a record victory for AC Milan, as their greatest winning margin in an away fixture came in the 8-0 defeat of Genoa. Gunnar Nordahl led the way for the Rossoneri with a hat-trick.

Juan Schiaffino and Amleto Frignani both grabbed doubles in the rout, with the remaining strike coming through Nils Liedholm. The victory put Milan within a point of the Serie A title.

we had Schiaffino and Nordahl in the same team.....like the best players of their nations history.
like having in the same team today luis suarez and zlatan(and even better)ofc Liedhold is like patrick Vieira of his day

Jasper

Maldini tier
Reaction score
Fav. Players
3; Marat Safin; Tiziano Crudeli; 2Pac; Christian Bale; Martin M??rsepp; Balotelli.
tumblr_o8tvb16Pm21r90nv2o1_1280.jpg

http://calciofication.tumblr.com/post/145973148635

seveners

Vinceremo
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Nesta, Sheva, van Basten, Inzaghi, Baggio, Costacurta, Gattuso, Maradona, Cantona
Nice one Jasper
:star::star::star::star::star:
Billy like a boss

Australiano1980

#RiseTheBorders
Reaction score
Fav. Players

Massaro94

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Dark Days

19.03.1996 - Bordeaux vs Milan 3 - 0

Zidane in azione contrastato da Baggio e Desailly. La partita finì con la vittoria dei Girondini per 3-0, grazie alla doppietta di Dugarry e al gol di Tholot.
ORGOGLIO CASCIAVIT e FORZA MILAN!

13331049_10154199590259929_3061136960333255743_n.jpg

That away shirt tho :love:

joyrider

Il Moderati
Staff member
Reaction score
Good article

Whoever attended the Serie A fixture between once giants AC Milan and Udinese Calcio at the San Siro on Sunday afternoon will have taken note of a few things.
On the one hand, the ever splendid stadium and the sunny weather didn’t go unnoticed. On the other hand, an average team and an empty stadium capped off by a lack of support.
Because the passion, the real one, which used to characterise Milan and set it apart from other clubs in Italy in their heyday, has slowly but surely waned.
If it was already known that Milan no longer are the iconic squad with talismanic heroes from the 90’s or early 2000’s, nobody can now dispute the fact that more and more tifosi milanisti are walking away from their once beloved team.
The drop in attendances and the quietness of the mere 28000 fans on Sunday epitomize Milan"s demise.
The Curva Sud’s frosty relationship with the board has thickened instead of thawing.
The lack of transfer activity in the summer was the straw that broke the camel’s back. It has rubbed further salt in an already bleeding wound. Many players were monitored yet uncaptured. As always.
But apart from that, the sustain has gone. Whoever used to go to Milan games ten years ago like me couldn’t help but draw parallels between then and now.
Fans no longer encourage or sing the players’ name during the match. Apart from Donnarumma’s one of course.
His meteoric rise commands the respect of everyone.
When the speaker announced the team before the kick-off, most of the players’ names were met with derision and embarrassment instead of being roared.
Again with the exception of the prodigious goalkeeper, Bacca, Romagnoli and Bonaventura who were given a warm reception.
In addition, instead of buying the match kits of the current players, most of the Milan fans still wear jerseys from players of the past like Inzaghi, Kakà, Maldini, Ibrahimovic, Shevchenko, Baresi or Prince.
And how can one blame them?
Besides, these days the fewest get shirty over a missed shot or pass. The fewest whistle an underperforming player.
If ten years ago Clarence Seedorf wasn’t giving it his all by walking on the pitch, the members of the Curva Sud or Fossa dei Leoni didn’t hesitate to voice their discontent.
They’d tell him in no uncertain terms that they weren’t satisfied with his display. But now, they have given up. It is accepted that Montolivo or Abate don’t deliver.It’s normal when Abate fires a cross to the stands instead on Bacca or Adriano’s head.
It’s normal that Montolivo is wearing Baresi and Maldini’s captain armband.
No player apart from the above-cited 4 and the missing Niang turns on the supporters.
The shocking dip in membership and Jersey sales prove it.
When Udinese scored the winner two minutes from time, the goal didn’t send the stadium into a dark mood as it should have done.Neither would a late Milan winner have sent San Siro into raptures.
When Perica flicked in the winner i tifosi rossoneri shook their heads in dismay for a few seconds and left the stadium immediately afterwards.The reaction was one of “deja-vu”. Nothing new. We have already seen it many times.
The eight minutes of injury time the referee added on looked like an open training session. Apart from the twenty-two players and the stewards there weren’t many people present. The bulk of the fans was heading home.
Once upon a time fans never left the ground before the final whistle.Unless Milan were leading 4-0 they left a few minutes earlier in order to avoid the traffic congestion.And if Milan were trailing they'd give them all their support until the end.
But the alarming fact is that yesterday most of the faithfuls were not even disappointed or angry about the defeat.
“The only way we will play Champions League again is if they extend the number of Italian participants to eight teams”, some fans were saying in the wake of the 1-0 loss.
The mediocre squad, the confusion in the hierarchy, the shortage of incoming quality transfers, the poor treatment of former legends like Maldini and Ambrosini and the selection of former Inter Milan men Fassone and Mirabelli to build the new Milan made in China are unforgiving matter of facts.
It will take years and years for the old Via Novara to be packed with cars on match days.
Winning or losing no longer makes or breaks a day.Coming away with less than three points has become the norm.
It also makes no sense to get carried away after a (rare) win because no continuity will follow.Not much time will pass before the happiness will transform itself into despair again weeks later.
The atmosphere San Siro generates these days can be likened to the one in a funeral.Sadness reigns.Acceptance and resignation have taken over.
You cannot take the past back. You can shed a tear or two but it makes no sense to grieve.
If anything , accept what happened and move on.
The past is gone and the future is unpredictable.
While the present says that the once loyal fans’ love for the red and black colours is gone.
Milan, a side already deemed to be too weak to fight for silverware, are doomed to even more woes as the team will have to do with less and less fans in future.
The situation looks irreversible.And this is very alarming.

gaizka22

Apprentice father
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
van Basten, Maldini, Zidane, Baresi, Maradona, Boban, Baggio, Matthaus, Costacurta
Mattia Graffiedi, Roberto Colombo, Mirco Sadotti.

Massaro94

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
While the adopted Catalan is obviously best associated with Ajax and Barcelona, he also made one unofficial appearance for AC Milan in 1981.

The Rossoneri were stuck in Serie B for the first time in their history but Silvio Berlusconi was determined to grow his media empire with a pre-season international club competition called the Mundialito broadcast on the businessman’s Canale 5.

All of the fixtures were held over the summer at the Stadio Giuseppe Meazza and Ajax gave their permission for the great player to wear the Diavolo’s shirt in a friendly.

A 34-year-old Cruyff arrived to play one match in Italy agains Ajax’s great rivals Feyenoord who he would later join two years later.

The match ended 0-0 and the Netherlands international was removed at the start of the second half for Francesco Romano.

While it was not a vintage Cruyff performance, the Milan fans were happy enough to see a great represent their club on one occasion after previously crossing paths for the 1969 European Cup final where the Rossoneri beat Ajax 4-1.

17458124_1464070053623515_4412753708048817617_n.jpg

17426171_1464070016956852_5922787287488508801_n.jpg

17499429_1464069996956854_7897607373828230857_n.jpg

17342844_1464070003623520_9083133161207460036_n.jpg

17499239_1464070010290186_3565637231403384937_n.jpg

Grazie Presidente :proud:

Last edited: