Rui Costa Plans Benfica Return

rony31

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
(SoccerAge)

01/24/2003. Milan playmaker Manuel Rui Costa says he plans to return to former club Benfica - but not in the near future.

"I still have a very strong bond with Benfica and it is a dream for me to wear their shirt again," he said. "I'll first win everything with Milan and then I'll even walk back to Portugal for that club.

"It could happen in two or three years, I don't know, but it will be an honour to fulfil the promise I made to finish my career with Benfica."

Reports in Portugal suggested that Benfica were to team up with sportswear company Adidas, and make a summer bid.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hmmm....I wouldn't mind if he got sold...we can use Rivaldo or Serginho in his position :devil2:

BTW, there's a longer article at planetfootball.com if u wanna read that one

mellanie

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Sandro Nesta
rony31 said:
Hmmm....I wouldn't mind if he got sold...we can use Rivaldo or Serginho in his position :devil2:

BTW, there's a longer article at planetfootball.com if u wanna read that one

instead I would mind it very very much...
but it's impossible... Rui has a contract till 2006 and only after 2006 he will go back in Portugal to end his career!

That's what he said

That's what he wishes (remember?? he's in Milan to WIN something... everything if possible... till now his awards are a bit poor)

That's what I pray for... 'cause I really love Manuel!!!
expecially after his shining game against Chievo!!!

mad4milan

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
rony31 said:

I guess you haven't seen him play this season...

I read about that yesterday on a Portuguese online newspaper... I panicked all day... He soothed my frightning state of shock by his statements today. Thank God!!

Even with the Adidas deal, Benfica can't afford him. They're not rolling in the money right now. Liverpool offered 45 million Euros for him at the beginning of the season & the way he's been playing this season: asking price up.

The only foreseeable reason that I see him leaving sooner than his contract expiring is "if" [they will of course] Milan wins the CL & the Scudetto. But, then again... He admitted several times that he wanted to go back to Benfica but only after his contract with Milan expires.

DonippoKakaShevdini

Santo Baresi
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Der Franco
I have no problem with selling Rui Costa after next season, or the 2005 season, but not this summer!!!!!!!!!!!

He has really found the form this year that made him the prince of Firenze. Yes, he undoubtably will play for Benfica someday in the future again, and we should not stop him from doing so....But, that day will not be soon, this I know.

The beautifully balanced Portuguese maestro will be wearing the rossonero colours for a few more years I do think.

:star: RUI :star:

shevagirl

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
Well i think that this is ok.
Rui wants to finish his carrer in Benfica and that is cool.That is his wish just like Pippo says that he wants to end his carrer in Milan,and i respect that,everyone should make his own choise.
But he is not going there now,there is time for that....first he will win everything and i supoust that he will leave us when his contract will expire........there is a lot of time till then and i'm not worry about that.
Ofcourse that i feel sorry that he won't be with us anymore.....but that is the way it is,and it has to be like that

rony31

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
mad4milan said:
I guess you haven't seen him play this season...

you're kidding right? he hasn't been showing us what he's capable of this season. the one good thing i've seen him do this season was that pass to sheva against Real. they didn't show the Milan-Chievo match here but i heard he played great, but seeing is believing, not hearing :tongue:

mad4milan

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Sure, it would be wonderful if Rui finished his career with Milan... I do admire the fact that he wants to finish in his own country, with the hometown club who gave him his first break, instead of going to Marketing Utd..........................And now, I'm turning my attention to:

rony31 said:
you're kidding right? he hasn't been showing us what he's capable of this season. the one good thing i've seen him do this season was that pass to sheva against Real. they didn't show the Milan-Chievo match here but i heard he played great, but seeing is believing, not hearing :tongue:

:eek: :conf: :devilcon: And Riva has?? Well, I could say the same for him: The only good thing I saw him doing this season was last week vs Piacenza... Come on!

Are you sure that you've seen Milan games & not Leverkusen?? Their jersey styles are roughly the same...

I don't know how many days that you've been suscribed to TLN.... I guess that you forgot to watch the games against Lens, Bayern & Deportivo too.

And if you're going down the "position comparison" road: Rui's a playmaker, Riva's an attacker - can't compare the two...

BTW, I saw this in the "Preferred Formation" discussion:

rony31 said:
------------------Dida------------------ (GK)
---Simic--Nesta--Maldini--Kaladze--- (D)
----------Gattuso--Serghino---------- (DM)
------------------Pirlo------------------ (M)
---------------Rui Costa--------------- (AM)
------------Pippo---Sheva------------ (F)
Hmmm... A certain name seems to be missing... You know that Rui wears #10 and Rivaldo #11, right?? Just checking :tongue:

juninho-paulista

rubro-negro
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Timmy Cahill and Mr. Leite
Rui's has probably played the best season while he's been here at Milan. You should watch his matches, very rarely you will see him play mediocre. Anyway, i like Benfica, my favourite Portuguese club, so for him to go there to end his career would be great to see, but not until 2006 when he ends his contract :cool:

rony31

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
hmmm, mad4milan, you made some good points :D btw, i didn't say rui costa was worse than rivaldo, cuz rivaldo hasn't done sh*t all with milan except against Piacenza. but still, Rui's yet to show what he's really made of this season and i think he can do much better. and btw, TLN doesnt require subscribing :tongue:

shevagirl

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
I'll just say that Rui is fantastic and wonderful playmaker.This season he is playing like never before,he is just great. :cool:

Reaction score
shevagirl said:
I'll just say that Rui is fantastic and wonderful playmaker.This season he is playing like never before,he is just great. :cool:

I Agree at All

Rui will leave in 2005 i think, cos he want to close his career in Benfica, and that's all..no chance to leave this summer :)

Red&BlackDevils

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
we all know how great he is this season. he have proven that he is great player after all those injureds and stuff. i hope he will stay here for longer. he is 30 and we need him for at list 1 or 2 years. and i think he will move to benfica to finish his carrer. but he said that he havent talk to them yet.

fbvanBasten

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
Since Rui himself does not want to end his career at Milan, I think Milan should get money from the club who wants Rui. With all the money we can get another playmaker to replace Rui.

THeJaMmi1

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
fbvanbasten - i think in the cases of players like rui, we should not treat them like meat and sell them off for the best possible deal...he is a model professional, no intention of hurting milan, and we should do the same