Votes: 1 5.3%
  • Lucas Biglia

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

jammin

pour l'éternité
Reaction score
I think with the current players, a change of shape to a 4-3-3 could be a smart idea. Robinho and Shaarawy prefer to play on the left and cut inside anyway, and I personally reckon that Boateng's best position would be a hybrid of a winger and a withdrawn forward on the right. Emanuelson did very well in that role against Chelsea as well.

--------------------Pato/Pazzo
Rob/Shaarawy--------------------Boateng/Emanuelson

Generally in a 3 man midfield, there needs to be a playmaker, a ball winner, and a transitional player i.e. a guy that moves the ball forward from midfield to the final third but could also win the ball back on a couple of occasions.

I think it's pretty logical that Montolivo is used as the anchor as he's the most intelligent midfielder on the roster, and the one most comfortable on the ball. Thus he should be the organizer in midfield and the one picking up forward runs with long passes or setting the tempo.

Now we had a potential world class ball winner in Flamini, if his brain absorbed the tactical implications of his role. 4 years passed by and he still didn't fully learn the trade, but he's still the best ball winner we have, and a pretty good one too. He's aggressive and isn't afraid of making tackles, and he runs his heart out. I think he should get a starting nod.

The most uncertain position for us would be the transitional player. Who to use there? It has to be someone relatively quick, an adept dribbler that could win one on ones, and with a decent eye for a pass. In my opinion, our best bets would be Emanuelson and Constant. If there's an extra midfielder Milan will sign, I can only hope he'd have the characteristics suitable for this role.

Emanuelson/Constant-----------------Flamini/Muntari
---------------------------Monty

The implications to this is: Where does that leave Nocerino? He has gained a lot of political power now. He's a national team player, he scored 11 goals last season and was one of the most used players, and the fans really love him. So he's an important figure that can not be benched. The problem is, he's not an adequate ball winner, he's by no means a playmaker, and as a transitional player he'd get to the box but to finish off chances not to lay them off.

Another big problem would be the full-backs. A 4-3-3 depends a lot on the crossing. The wide forwards we have all aren't pure wingers, thus crossing isn't one of their strengths. If we're stuck with Abate, he really has to evolve his crossing and I can only pray that they trust Didac this season. The guy will be exposed at the back, but so does Antonini, at least Didac could dribble forward consistently and has a decent cross, he could be a good attacking outlet.

So a 4-3-3 is by no means a no brainer for us, but it could be a very good option to consider.

You know how I'd line-up the team (at this very time of writing, based on the current squad)?

-----------------------------Abbiati
Abate---------Zapata-------------------Bonera---------Didac
----------------------------Monty
---------------Flams
----------------------------------Ema
----Boateng-------------------------------Robinho/El Shaarawy
---------------------Pato/Pazzo

And make no mistake, they'll lose and draw many games thus dropping lots of points on the way. And they're very likely to get schooled by top sides. But they'll play decent football and they'll grow together as a team. At least there will be a system in place and a real "project" that could be built upon. Like juve did last season, they built a system without eying a title and just focused on growing together as a team, and this season their market moves are to strengthen their weak spots. Milan should do that, that's proper re-building.
looks very nice. :star:

KPB and Binho drift out a lot to the wings so this formation should be natural for them. i was thinking whether KPB can play a sort of CR7 role, but with more defensive priorities and less ball-hogging.

Noce can sub in for Urby or start in smaller games when we need goals.

now to get our FBs on a full crossing training session for the next 5 days...

Danilo JBG

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Interesting. I haven't really thought of that, but do you really want to trust Boateng as the guy to supply the last pass to the forwards? If no other players are signed for this position, then definitely Boateng could be considered based on how Emanuelson and Constant occupy that role.

If we do end up signing Kaka though, I'd use him there. That would be one more reason to use the 4-3-3 IMO.

Yeah, I was assuming no other player would arrive, even though I think at least one will be signed until the end of the window.

If we end up signing Kaká, I really hope we go 4-2-3-1 with Robinho, Kaká and Boateng behind a striker, especially if the three of them are on form. I just don't know if we'd have a proper player to make the double-pivot with Montolivo properly. I have my doubts if Flamini can play that role, and Ambrosini can't handle all matches.

Also, I think Allegri should go for counter-attacking football against stronger sides in case Kaká arrives. Maybe even if he doesn't come. We've got some good players to explore this. Emanuelson, Boateng, El Shaarawy, Pato, Robinho...

ForzaSandro

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Yes, exactly. "Knowing Allegri".. He will stick to 4-3-1-2 for some time at least, is my hunch.

I can hardly blame him. How many times have we heard G say that's our identity? Allegri needs a job too like anyone else.

Sven

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah, I was assuming no other player would arrive, even though I think at least one will be signed until the end of the window.

If we end up signing Kaká, I really hope we go 4-2-3-1 with Robinho, Kaká and Boateng behind a striker, especially if the three of them are on form. I just don't know if we'd have a proper player to make the double-pivot with Montolivo properly. I have my doubts if Flamini can play that role, and Ambrosini can't handle all matches.

Also, I think Allegri should go for counter-attacking football against stronger sides in case Kaká arrives. Maybe even if he doesn't come. We've got some good players to explore this. Emanuelson, Boateng, El Shaarawy, Pato, Robinho...

Let's just copy Dunga:

http://www.zonalmarking.net/2010/03/03/analysing-brazils-fluid-system-at-close-quarters/

We don't have a Gilberto Silva though.

Christian

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Costacurta, Seedorf, Albertini, Inzaghi, SES, Montolivo etc.

Senatore_M84

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Clarence Clyde Seedorf
No spot for Boateng though assuming Kaka is coming.

boateng needs to up his game.

the way i see it, if kaka comes.... he's a sure starter, 1 of pato/pazzini is, montolivo is. We have 1 attacking spot and 2 midfield spots.

at the moment, robinho is certainly above boateng for attacking spot.

for the midfield spot, urby and flams are above boateng.

Australiano1980

#RiseTheBorders
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Van Basten, Baresi, Savicevic, Gullit, Maldini, Romario, Zidane, Suker, Litmanen, Redondo, Rivaldo
im not trying to provoque.. but i think the right thing to do is make money with boateng while we can.

Redman10

Milan Legend
Reaction score
I see a lot of mention of Pato and Pazzini combo up top. How is that suppose to work without a good midfield behind them?

Australiano1980

#RiseTheBorders
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Van Basten, Baresi, Savicevic, Gullit, Maldini, Romario, Zidane, Suker, Litmanen, Redondo, Rivaldo
I see a lot of mention of Pato and Pazzini combo up top. How is that suppose to work without a good midfield behind them?

maybe they will have a chance if allegri puts robinho instead of boateng.

GrandeMilan

G.O.A.T
Reaction score

Riccardo-Montolivo~2.jpg

Sven

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

Yeah, I don't see that either...
For me they've the same spot, and for Pato specially you always need a sub ready to fill in.

Maybe as a second half plan when we're down on the score.

Redman10

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Montolivo is good but there will be games when he will be unavailable through suspension or injury. There will be game where opposition will render him ineffective or he will have a poor game. So relying on him solely to make Pato and Pazzini work is a recipe for disaster.

Reaction score
We need at least two players who can alone create chances for our strikers

Senatore_M84

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Clarence Clyde Seedorf
For me they've the same spot, and for Pato specially you always need a sub ready to fill in.

pato/pazzo can work.

but not well with our current midfield. Unless we try a 4-4-2. Even then, we need someone opposite urby

Senatore_M84

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Clarence Clyde Seedorf
If we sign no one else, I actually think we should try using urby uptop next to Robinho (both are winger-ish forwards, and love switching sides), and try Boateng deeper.

Boateng is a better long range passer/defender than urby. And he can play the noce role of long runs.

Thinking...

-------Pazzo
---Robi-----Urby
Boa--Monto--Flamz
------Defense

and for godsake flamini sit back, or heck, maybe even start Ambrosini for 60some.

jammin

pour l'éternité
Reaction score
how wonderful would it be Flamini gets back to his best (Arsenal form)? better than almost any signing we could make imo.

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Maldini, Buffon, Rino*Pirlo*Clarence, Sheva, Totti, Ibra, Pippo, Giacomo, Carlo, Il Dottore

You certainly need a sub for Pato - that's a chief role that Pazzini will fulfill. But I think we'll start Pazzo-Pato when both are fit, at least in the beginning. It can work as well. Basically it is a striker who would run in - Pato - and a striker who would stay in the box.

Pazzini makes us tactically more flexible in the attack.

Sage

Phase 3
Staff member
Reaction score
lets say we play a 4-3-3

who can we stick at RW? SES/robinho would work best at LW

urby at rw would make him an inverted winger a la robben, but urby hardly scores and it would limit his crossing.

I guess boateng could play at RW...

Redman10

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Urby and Robinho should go to the wings but they should be restricted to it. Both should have freedom to switch sides.

Anyway, I doubt Allegri change formations.

Australiano1980

#RiseTheBorders
Reaction score
Fav. Players
pato/pazzo can work.

but not well with our current midfield. Unless we try a 4-4-2. Even then, we need someone opposite urby

sadly is too late to trying the 442. but i think is the one that suits better this squad.

can we make money on him?

did madrid or psg want him? he can dance over there too.
he wont make here without ibrahimovic.. maybe a goal or a great play in 1 of 3 games.. but he won be the beast the ppl are expecting.

Urby and Robinho should go to the wings but they should be restricted to it. Both should have freedom to switch sides.

Anyway, I doubt Allegri change formations.

+1
and the team looks dead with 3 strikers.

Fiero

Reaction score
If we sign no one else, I actually think we should try using urby uptop next to Robinho (both are winger-ish forwards, and love switching sides), and try Boateng deeper.

Boateng is a better long range passer/defender than urby. And he can play the noce role of long runs.

Thinking...

-------Pazzo
---Robi-----Urby
Boa--Monto--Flamz
------Defense

and for godsake flamini sit back, or heck, maybe even start Ambrosini for 60some.

That's kinda recycling what I posted yesterday. :o

lets say we play a 4-3-3

urby at rw would make him an inverted winger a la robben, but urby hardly scores and it would limit his crossing.

Yep, Boateng as a right winger with Urby as the alternative.

The main question mark is who to use as the advanced midfielder? Montolivo is a lock as an anchor, and IMO Flamini is our best ball winner. If Kaka is signed, he'd walk into the 3rd spot.

Otherwise I'm thinking it would be either Urby or Constant. Huge gamble.

Tidalwave

Shredder
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Kaka' #22, Maldini, Nesta, Inzaghi, De Sciglio, Sheva, Ibra, Balotelli, De Rossi, Montolivo.
lets say we play a 4-3-3

:lol:

Tidalwave

Shredder
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Kaka' #22, Maldini, Nesta, Inzaghi, De Sciglio, Sheva, Ibra, Balotelli, De Rossi, Montolivo.
sadly is too late to trying the 442. but i think is the one that suits better this squad.

did madrid or psg want him? he can dance over there too.
he wont make here without ibrahimovic.. maybe a goal or a great play in 1 of 3 games.. but he won be the beast the ppl are expecting.

+1
and the team looks dead with 3 strikers.

but the midfielder now we have is too weak defensively (maybe attacking too)
counter attack will kill us in a few second.

Fiero

Reaction score

Why not? I think Boateng's best position would be a hybrid of a withdrawn forward and a right winger.

His best assets are physicality, technique and shooting. You'd want him to be in the opponents final 3rd, but not with his back to goal. In that position he could use his pace and dribbling skills + shooting of course, and help in defense by pressing and covering a lot of ground.

He tends to drift to the right anyway in the current setup, but moving him there would open a spot for a player with a better pass in the final 3rd, like Kaka.