Xavi Hernandez Thread

Wet Ones

Campione d’Italia
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Whoever helps make Milan untouchable
Well if Javier Hernandez can have one :rolleyes:

Champions League Analysis: The Importance Of Being Xavi - What Chelsea And Manchester United Were Missing

Not that we want to give Simon Cowell the satisfaction, but this country really does need more X-Factor.

Far from it being a disaster that there will be no English sides in the Champions League's final four, it has to be acknowledged that it's stark contrast from having three of the four in the last three seasons.

Europe hasn't improved that much.

Italy is still nowhere near its optimum level, Bayern are still a shadow of their former sides and even Lyon arguably still aren't as good as the dark horses led by Juninho, Michael Essien & Co earlier in the decade.

In truth, all four Premier League participants had ample chance for Champions League progress in their own way (though admittedly, Arsenal's chances were excruciatingly slim).

But in Manchester United's case above all others, the lack of ability to control the game when in controlling positions cost last year's finalists their place in this year's semis. And this, after falling in the weaker half of the draw, again.

Over both legs - but particularly last night - incisive wide play and emphatic finishing stormed United into promising leads, which were then surrendered by an inability to slow down the game in midfield, keep possession and make the opposition chase. Even before Rafael's disputed red card, the wheels showed signs of coming off. Bayern had already nicked one.

Nani and Valencia were sublime, Fletcher and Gibson were imposing, Rooney can't really be faulted, nor can Rio, Vidic or Van der Sar. Evra put his one blip from the first leg behind him and was his usual self and Rafael, while admittedly erratic at key moments, did not cost United the tie.

Michael Carrick in the centre of midfield seemed the one tasked with controlling the passing of the side - connecting defence with midfield and midfield with attack - but United looked disjointed and considerable responsibility has to fall on his shoulders. And as if that wasn't enough, it was even he who was out-muscled by Ivica Olic as Bayern edged their way back into the tie with a goal before half-time.

Chelsea suffered similarly. Inter almost seemed to outdo them for tempo, in what was an unexpected role reversal. Chelsea's midfield matched Inter's for industry, but it was Wesley Sneijder's creative genius that ultimately seemed to sway the tie in Jose Mourinho's favour.

Liverpool's group was deceptively strong, but by no means too tall an order to at least qualify. The Reds' failure to take control of any of the key group games invited waves of pressure onto them, which culminated in a series of late goals conceded that cost them their place in the Champions League. (Though Reds fans will be enjoying today for as long as they manage to overturn Benfica and maintain their status as the only big four team still in Europe.)

Worryingly, this is a problem that may plague Fabio Capello at this summer's World Cup, as well. England have a solid team but have never been able to impose themselves on top-quality opposition. Unless a particularly effective counterattacking system is put into place - of which there has been no suggestion as yet - then England are likely to meet their underwhelming end in similar style to the Premier League's big boys in this season's Champions League.

Arsenal don't have this problem. Cesc Fabregas, Tomas Rosicky and Samir Nasri are all more than capable of taking the reins in midfield - the skipper in particular can do it against any opposition.

Or, perhaps more accurately, almost any opposition.

Admittedly, Fabregas was not fully fit when Arsenal hosted his hometown club, Barcelona, but no one can out-Xavi Xavi himself. Cesc knows that as well as anybody.

This is the man who has been at the heart of the best Spain team of all time - at Cesc's expense - and also in both of Barcelona's incredible XIs of the past five years. The Rijkaard-Ronaldinho and Pep-Messi eras have had one constant of more significance than any other, and that is Xavi.

Where Barcelona did actually let things slip to an extent at the Emirates, Xavi was still imperious. And as if to prove his point, he did it again in the second leg, and was without doubt the reigning champions' best player, taking into account all 180 minutes.

He's 30, but is so unassuming that he has never been subject to the masses of transfer speculation, the first request for television interviews or labeled 'the one to watch' before the big games. He's so ordinary in appearance that, for all his talent, he probably wouldn't even get past the producers to make it on TV and face to face with Simon Cowell himself.

Luckily, Barcelona aren't run like prime time television. Xavi got his chance, and for over a decade, he has been making it all look so easy. It's part of his charm. A lot of his play is unassuming, but it's in the movement, awareness, tempo and that stupendous range of effortless passing that brings it all together.

The value and contribution of playmakers can often go unnoticed in a top footballing side, like Barcelona. Xavi is the difference between Barcelona being a dangerous side when they have the ball - like Bayern - to a side who are always dangerous, because they always have the ball. He is a pure midfielder, whose contribution is centred solely upon the almost intangible - the X-Factor - of giving Barcelona the style and rhythm that they have.

Paul Scholes made a magnificent footballing side of United in his prime, but was never utilised effectively by England. Michael Carrick has shown signs of similar quality, but never on the big stage. Frank Lampard and Steven Gerrard have many admirable qualities, but they don't align with Xavi's. It quite simply doesn't seem part of the makeup of English or even Premier League football at large to breed 'playmakers', yet the value of having one - a genuinely top-class one - will continue to make the difference at the highest level. Often between the good sides, and the truly great ones.

OneUnited

Reaction score
Nice to see the playground mentality remaining strong.

The man is brilliant. People can talk all they want about him benefiting from the players around him. The fact is, Barcelona wouldn't tick like they do if others were given his responsibility.

We're definitely suffering from not having a player of this mould, and, if it hasn't already, it will dawn on fans over the next couple of years just how valuable Scholes has been to us.

Az.

Se7en
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini,Shevchenko, Rui Costa, Gattuso, Pippo, Nesta, Ambrosini,Seedorf, Billy,Kaka,Beckham,Zlatan
Brilliant player and a top lad from what i`ve heard and seen of him.Really humble :star:

A Wild Homosexual

*Rejuvenation*
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Baresi - Maldini - Nesta - Jessica Alba
Now we r talking.
The most consistent player in modern football.

Edi

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini,Nesta,Kaka,
Xavi is the engine of this Barsa side but he hasn't been consistent all of his career.

It would have been good to see him perform outside of Barca and the La Liga so we can compare how good he really is...(basically the same arguments that were used against Messi:D)

Last edited:

Wet Ones

Campione d’Italia
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Xavi is the engine of this Barsa side but he hasn't been consistent all of his career.

It would have been good to see him perform outside of Barca and the La Liga so we can compare how good he really is...(basically the same arguments that were used against Messi:D)

Agree to an extent, however, unlike Messi, he has also excelled in a non-Barca system (Spain NT).

Wet Ones

Campione d’Italia
Reaction score
Fav. Players

LOL @ "baby's breath"

:proud:

Care to post anymore? Or is that the only thing that came up when you did the 'Xavi dive' search? :cry:

I'm proud none of our players have a history of diving :proud:

Who cares if the worst dive in professional football history was by a Milan player ;)

Hypocrite much? :rolleyes:

Edit: Our captain fantastic :proud:

No disrespect Mad but I honestly think you should STFu before talking about other dives ;)

Last edited:

Wet Ones

Campione d’Italia
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Pirlo never dived for a penalty :proud:

At least I'm hoping so ... :tongue:

Bartha lover much? :o

Please see my edited post ;)

Not a 'Bartha' lover. Just not a hypocrite ;)

Xavi = diving = limited

Edit: And how could Pirlo ever dive for a penalty when he hardly ever gets into the box???

GreatKalu

I still believe!
Reaction score
LOL ... I replied to your edit before you even finished editing :proud:

Since I knew you were going to pull the Ambro trump card :rolleyes: :D
Hypocrite much? :rolleyes:
What can I say. I plead guilty. For Milan, I'm a hypocrite. At least its better than being a hypocrite for Bartha :eek:

And btw, I wasn't referring to you. I was referring to a friend of yours who when Milan wins anything under Carlo, it was boring, lucky, etc. you name it. Yet, even if some were to point out that Henning and Merk played crucial roles in Bartha's recent successes, they still criticize Milan, yet continue being willful spermaholics for anything Bartha-related :proud:

Nice thread :tongue:

Wet Ones

Campione d’Italia
Reaction score
Fav. Players
LOL ... I replied to your edit before you even finished editing :proud:

Since I knew you were going to pull the Ambro trump card :rolleyes: :D

My fav trump card :D

What can I say. I plead guilty. For Milan, I'm a hypocrite. At least its better than being a hypocrite for Bartha :eek:

Well I'm not comparing you to them, but if I turned a blind eye to everything wrong with Milan, I'd be no different from certain fans from a certain overrated club that you've just replied to in the CL thread :D

And btw, I wasn't referring to you. I was referring to a friend of yours who when Milan wins anything under Carlo, it was boring, lucky, etc. you name it. Yet, even if some were to point out that Henning and Merk played crucial roles in Bartha's recent successes, they still criticize Milan, yet continue being willful spermaholics for anything Bartha-related :proud:

Nice thread :tongue:

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Barca didn't deserve it in 2006 and neither did they last year. This year however, there is no team that deserve it more. Unless of course Inter & the genius of Mourinho find a way to stop them.

When he does, its memorable ... not a pathetic act of disgrace :D

The battle of the youtube vids continues ... :proud:

I bet he was trying to pass it with his head. What lousy head control :head:

:D

:proud:

Last edited:

GreatKalu

I still believe!
Reaction score
My fav trump card :D
I don't know ... I find it honorable that he's taking up so many responsibilities this season. First Paolo and the captaincy, then doing all the running which our forwards don't do, in addition to his defensive responsibilities ... now, Kaka's diving. Respect :D
Well I'm not comparing you to them, but if I turned a blind eye to everything wrong with Milan, I'd be no different from certain fans from a certain overrated club that you've just replied to in the CL thread :D
There is a time and place to complain about Milan. This is not it :tongue:
I've said it before and I'll say it again. Barca didn't deserve it in 2006 and neither did they last year. This year however, there is no team that deserve it more. Unless of course Inter & the genius of Mourinho find a way to stop them.
Respect. I'd also tend to agree with you ... but I think thats mostly because the quality of football in this year's UCL has dropped. Anyway, its not over ... maybe Merk and Henning will get a new colleague :D
I bet he was trying to pass it with his head. What lousy head control :head:
Haha ...

... such precision, such movement, such hair :proud:

Even Fat Ronaldo would have been proud of that :eek: :D
Oh boy:rolleyes:
:D
Hehe ... what to say man. If he does defeat Bartha, he does deserve credit. Doesn't mean we can't stop insulting him though does it? :tongue: :D

MilanMB

Serendipity
Reaction score
I think the diving argument can't be used on any player... They ALL dive, goalies, defenders, midfielders, attackers and yes even coaches... I hate it, but almost every player dives or falls very easily. And also, this occurs in every league. But I guess, some of the fans on this site only watches milan games.

Wait, our divers then? Dinho nr 1, Ambro nr 2... even gattuso is a bitch sometimes.

Madridista

not exactly a lightweight
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Doku, Osimhen, Rafael Leao, Tonali, Rodrygo, Valverde, De Paul, Lautaro Martinez, Pogba, Fekir
Why not open a thread for each of the Barca players:rolleyes:

Sasha

The UNBANNABLE One
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Azzurri e Rossoneri
Pirlo's header is one of the most majestic I have ever seen. Thanks for reposting it. :star:

milan_my_love

▼•Moderator•▼
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Alessandro Nesta, Gianluigi Lentini, Marco Van Basten, Alberigo Evani, Paolo Maldini & IL Capitano
He is not a champion for nothing.

O, he's the linchpin of this Blaugrana team. Barça under Guardiola have proved time to time again they can win any game against any opposition even without their stars. Having said that, when all these stars combine together they makes a decent opposition or a strong opposition look like ordinary. There is none better than Xavi in the position he plays ATM. Plain and simple!

It actually amazes me how a champion of his quality is so less talked about. I know he's not ignored, just less talked about. I simply adore Trilly's vision (the oldbies remember) + I, personally don't compare Trilly with Xavi too often (due to my red and black glasses) BUT the calmness of Xavi is just phenominal.

I never intend to jump in to who vs who comparisons instead just give a credit when due. And Xavi is a maestro. :star:

dev1L

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Barcelona Playmaker Xavi Reveals He Considered Leaving The Club

The creative midfielder thought about a Camp Nou exit on a number of occasions...

Barcelona midfielder Xavi has admitted that he considered leaving the Blaugrana on a number of occasions during his illustrious career.

Now in his twelfth season as a first team player, the 30-year-old has established himself as an integral cog of the most successful Barca team in history and has taken his haul of medals to 12 at club level.

"Many times I thought about leaving Barcelona. In the early years, I knew there was a player ahead of me, Pep [Guardiola] and knew that I could not play too much, and I thought about it [leaving]," he told Canal +.

"I was a newcomer in the first team, only 17 or 18 years old and these comparisons did me no good. A couple or three years, too. It wasn't working, it was the era of [Frank] Rijkaard. Even now I do not know if the club had intended to sell me."

Xavi: I’ll never leave Barca

As the Spanish and European champions Barcelona prepare to come to Abu Dhabi to take part in the Club World Cup, one of their most integral players has pledged the rest of his career to the club.

Xavi, a graduate of the club’s youth academy and third in the Ballon d’Or, revealed in an interview with The National that he had turned down moves to AC Milan and Manchester United.

The Catalan team are renowned for their breathtaking attacking style and a flourishing youth system, which produced players such as Pep Guardiola, now the coach, Lionel Messi and club captain Carles Puyol.

Testament to that policy is the fact that three of Barca’s academy graduates were nominated in the top four of the Ballon d’Or, awarded by France Football for the world’s best player, with the Argentine striker Messi winning the trophy last week.

It is that philosophy that has prompted Xavi to declare: “I’ll never leave Barcelona. I’ve had offers to leave but I’m here for as long as possible.

“Milan, they wanted me when I was younger. And Manchester United, they didn’t make a direct approach but Alex Ferguson’s brother spoke to my agent. But I’d never leave.

“Money isn’t the most important thing and I’ve been a Barca fan all my life.”

Barcelona travel to Ukraine to face Dynamo Kiev in their vital Champions League game tomorrow before a Primera Liga trip to city rivals Espanyol on Saturday night. They will then fly to Abu Dhabi.

Sasha

The UNBANNABLE One
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Azzurri e Rossoneri
“Milan, they wanted me when I was younger. And Manchester United, they didn’t make a direct approach but Alex Ferguson’s brother spoke to my agent. But I’d never leave.
FU B&G! You suk! Why didn;t we sign him! Imagine this:

Dzeko---Torres

Gourcuff----------------Pato
Flamini--Hernanes--Xavi

:mad::mad::mad: :cry::cry:

akewander

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Kaka , Maldini, Zidane, Pato, Thiago silva, Gattuso.
Barcelona Playmaker Xavi Reveals He Considered Leaving The Club

The creative midfielder thought about a Camp Nou exit on a number of occasions...

Barcelona midfielder Xavi has admitted that he considered leaving the Blaugrana on a number of occasions during his illustrious career.

Now in his twelfth season as a first team player, the 30-year-old has established himself as an integral cog of the most successful Barca team in history and has taken his haul of medals to 12 at club level.

"Many times I thought about leaving Barcelona. In the early years, I knew there was a player ahead of me, Pep [Guardiola] and knew that I could not play too much, and I thought about it [leaving]," he told Canal +.

"I was a newcomer in the first team, only 17 or 18 years old and these comparisons did me no good. A couple or three years, too. It wasn't working, it was the era of [Frank] Rijkaard. Even now I do not know if the club had intended to sell me."

Xavi: I’ll never leave Barca

As the Spanish and European champions Barcelona prepare to come to Abu Dhabi to take part in the Club World Cup, one of their most integral players has pledged the rest of his career to the club.

Xavi, a graduate of the club’s youth academy and third in the Ballon d’Or, revealed in an interview with The National that he had turned down moves to AC Milan and Manchester United.

The Catalan team are renowned for their breathtaking attacking style and a flourishing youth system, which produced players such as Pep Guardiola, now the coach, Lionel Messi and club captain Carles Puyol.

Testament to that policy is the fact that three of Barca’s academy graduates were nominated in the top four of the Ballon d’Or, awarded by France Football for the world’s best player, with the Argentine striker Messi winning the trophy last week.

It is that philosophy that has prompted Xavi to declare: “I’ll never leave Barcelona. I’ve had offers to leave but I’m here for as long as possible.

“Money isn’t the most important thing and I’ve been a Barca fan all my life.”

Barcelona travel to Ukraine to face Dynamo Kiev in their vital Champions League game tomorrow before a Primera Liga trip to city rivals Espanyol on Saturday night. They will then fly to Abu Dhabi.

oh my god, why milan. why is it that we get linked iwth great players when their young and then fuck it up, veira , gourcouff cissokho are a few.
imagine we had xavi.

typical milan, get involved with great talent at young age and then turn a blind eye :rolleyes:

Ashish

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
R.I.P. Papa Berlu, G, R9, Nesta, Rui, Maldini, Gattuso, Robert Wieckiewicz, Brendan Gleeson
majestic player, best in what he does. keep playing like that champion, he control entire team, its his decision whether to attack or retreat, great thing about him is he can run up and down in th midfield and hold on to the ball fr a long time .

:star:

can anyone post his assist charts of this season and last?

Congo Powers

⭐⭐
Reaction score
Fav. Players
B&G, RuiCosta, Pippo, Sheva, Stam, Kaka, Abbiati, Cassano, Mexes, TH19, RL10, KPB, 45, Krunic
no swag. lame. short. ugly. if i knew him, would not be friends with him.

Senatore_M84

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Clarence Clyde Seedorf
no swag. lame. short. ugly. if i knew him, would not be friends with him.

Team Ugly/NO Style:
spanishboyslikepatterning.jpg

seriously awful fashion sense

Senatore_M84

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Clarence Clyde Seedorf
Last year he had a godly 29 assists in all competitions (20 in la liga) but then again he had messi, etoo and henry on great goal scoring form. So while his passing was brilliant, it certainly helps to have guys who will finish

His 12 this year in all competitions is also impressive. He seems to be playing a bit deeper. 12 for a CM is great

Schedule