Tennis

Should women be paid the same sum as men in Grand Slams?

• Total voters

Jasper

Maldini tier
Reaction score
Fav. Players
3; Marat Safin; Tiziano Crudeli; 2Pac; Christian Bale; Martin M??rsepp; Balotelli.
Ah, I see. Did you have to stop because of an injury?

I had a lot of (silly) injuries but nothing so serious that made me stop. Just lost my passion and got other interests.

Senatore_M84

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Clarence Clyde Seedorf
nadal_300x20025546.jpg

ooooo :eek::eek::eek::eek:

ezekiel2517

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Fav. Players
I lost the list.
after seeing Federer break that racket, i can tell he'd kick Nadal's ass in a street fight.

manutd fan

EPL Captain
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Eric Cantona, Paul Scholes, Van Nistlerooy, Valencia
I love how people talk about Federer only winning because Nadal has been injured.

What about last year when Federer had glandula feever, aswell as an injured back? He wasn't match fit that whole season.

It's also not Federer's fault that Nadal hasn't been good enough to make any US Open final either. The unfortunate thing is Nadal will probably get there as Federer is past his best and beat him, so all the Nadal ignorant groupies can wank all over him.

Also just because someone beats a guy a lot, doesn't mean he's better. His style could simply match up well against another guy. You have to look at the overall sucess, not the individual matches.

Senatore_M84

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Clarence Clyde Seedorf
All your points on federer are true. But it must also be stated, that he is 5 years his elder and during federer's PRIME run Tennis was probably the weakest its been in 30 years. Sampras always had top competition. He had lendl, becker, edberg when he came up. Aggassi, chang, ivanisevic, rafter later and he was still more or less dominant.

Who has federer had? Nadal is now 23 and starting to come into his own. But leyton hewitt? Roddick? I mean these r pretty mediocre competition.

Also just because someone beats a guy a lot, doesn't mean he's better. His style could simply match up well against another guy. You have to look at the overall sucess, not the individual matches.

thats crock. You make it sound like nadal loses all the time then beats federer. Nadal IMO is a prodigy, he is only teen to reach #2 in the world. He won the most tournaments as a teenager (16) and his game keeps evolving. He was a below par hard court player, now he's won australian and looks like he can win the US open (tournament least suited for his supposed strengthS).

Sampras by his 23rd bday won 5 majors, Nadal has 6. I just happen to see the drive in Nadal, that makes me think short of blowing out his knee, he will go down as greater than federer.

Edit: I guess my overall point is yes federer is a great player, but i don't think he's anywhere near the 'greatest' of all time. Which he seems to think he is.

Last edited:

Jasper

Maldini tier
Reaction score
Fav. Players
3; Marat Safin; Tiziano Crudeli; 2Pac; Christian Bale; Martin M??rsepp; Balotelli.
All your points on federer are true. But it must also be stated, that he is 5 years his elder and during federer's PRIME run Tennis was probably the weakest its been in 30 years. Sampras always had top competition. He had lendl, becker, edberg when he came up. Aggassi, chang, ivanisevic, rafter later and he was still more or less dominant.

Who has federer had? Nadal is now 23 and starting to come into his own. But leyton hewitt? Roddick? I mean these r pretty mediocre competition.

thats crock. You make it sound like nadal loses all the time then beats federer. Nadal IMO is a prodigy, he is only teen to reach #2 in the world. He won the most tournaments as a teenager (16) and his game keeps evolving. He was a below par hard court player, now he's won australian and looks like he can win the US open (tournament least suited for his supposed strengthS).

Sampras by his 23rd bday won 5 majors, Nadal has 6. I just happen to see the drive in Nadal, that makes me think short of blowing out his knee, he will go down as greater than federer.

This logic is simply ********. Federer has no competition while Nadal is is going to go down as all time greatest.

I have nothing constructive to say. I'm waiting for other discussions like this emerge how Gretzky isn't best of all times etc etc.

And quite honestly Damocles made a better argument with his Manutd is a small club essay.

Senatore_M84

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Clarence Clyde Seedorf
This logic is simply ********. Federer has no competition while Nadal is is going to go down as all time greatest.

I have nothing constructive to say. I'm waiting for other discussions like this emerge how Gretzky isn't best of all times etc etc.

And quite honestly Damocles made a better argument with his Manutd is a small club essay.

my point was i think his major crown is inflated because he didnt play good competition. I don't think he wins half as many if he play in early/mid 90s like sampras. I think he'd be consistantly edged out by sampras, becker, aggassi and on and on

I could be wrong cause its definitely early in there careers but guys like murray, djokovic along w/ federer who can still play make it tougher for nadal in next few years... as well as just make it more entertaining.

Nadal going down as greatest? Very early to say that, but its my opinion, he COULD. None of them r up to petey yet though.

manutd fan

EPL Captain
Reaction score
Fav. Players
You have to remember aswell, than grass is much slower these days. It's a small point, Nadal would never have beaten Federer on the grass of 10 years ago. Hell, even 5.

Nadal's game is based on running, it's a natural flaw to his game that he will pick up injuries. That's a weakness he has.

I believe Djockovic could be better than Nadal and especially Murray, but he hasn't got the mentality for it.

manutd fan

EPL Captain
Reaction score
Fav. Players

This :star:

Senatore_M84

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Clarence Clyde Seedorf
You have to remember aswell, than grass is much slower these days. It's a small point, Nadal would never have beaten Federer on the grass of 10 years ago. Hell, even 5.

Nadal's game is based on running, it's a natural flaw to his game that he will pick up injuries. That's a weakness he has.

I believe Djockovic could be better than Nadal and especially Murray, but he hasn't got the mentality for it.

but they arent. And that flaw should mean he should already be eliminated from US Open.

But he will win. Watch and see. then federer will cry again

dev1L

Milan Legend
Reaction score
bye bye Murray !

Cilic - Murray 7:5 6:2 6:2 :D

Quarterfinals

Federer - Soderling

Djokovic - Verdasco

Tsonga/Gonzalez - Nadal/Monfils

Cilic - Del Potro

Jasper

Maldini tier
Reaction score
Fav. Players
I see Murray gave Dent a bit a thrashing. As always, fuck you all :)

But now he's out. Saw last 4 games of the match - while commentators and probably every other person was thinking this is where the champions put on the final gear(and play their A-game) and we'll see it turning into a real match, Cilic totally dominated and washed Andy's hopes with every shot.

manutd fan

EPL Captain
Reaction score
Fav. Players
"Are you watching, are you watching, are you watching Scottish twats? Arrreee you watching Scottish twats?"

Not Calum though. He is an exception.

Axl

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
Very good performance from Cilic. Murray needs to stop pushing and start playing more aggressive tennis. Some great matches coming up tonight, especially Tsonga vs Gonzalez and Monfils vs Nadal. Serena also plays Pennetta.

Good point, I agree with that.

my point was i think his major crown is inflated because he didnt play good competition. I don't think he wins half as many if he play in early/mid 90s like sampras. I think he'd be consistantly edged out by sampras, becker, aggassi and on and on

I agree that Sampras had it tougher, however the disparity in their level of competition is a bit overrated. Lendl and McEnroe were 10+ years older than Sampras so they cannot be counted as rivals. Then by the time Pete hit his prime Edberg and especially Becker were fading(Becker was a ridiculously early bloomer, his peak was probably his teenage years). If someone wants to count these players as Pete's competition then you'd have to include Agassi for Federer as well. IMO both Sampras and Federer had to face one truly great rival in his prime(Agassi-Nadal). Though it's true that the field during the 90s was deeper.

Still, I don't think that Federer would be consistently edged if he played in that era, though he definitely wouldn't win as many GS. But it's also reasonable to say that Sampras and Agassi would also win fewer titles if he was around back then.

Last edited:

Calum1903

Milan Legend
Reaction score
But now he's out. Saw last 4 games of the match - while commentators and probably every other person was thinking this is where the champions put on the final gear(and play their A-game) and we'll see it turning into a real match, Cilic totally dominated and washed Andy's hopes with every shot.

Aye, from what I saw Murray was absolutely garbage. He's so inconsistent.

Congratulations to Cilic, he was by far the better player on the day.

"Are you watching, are you watching, are you watching Scottish twats? Arrreee you watching Scottish twats?"

Not Calum though. He is an exception.

I'm not a twat, so this doesn't affect me :cool:

The English did well in this tournament though, eh?

manutd fan

EPL Captain
Reaction score
Fav. Players
I am happy to say that a Manc has won 8 Grand Slams, winning all 4 slams.

dev1L

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Tsonga - Gonzalez 6:3 3:6 6:7 4:6

Serena - Penneta 6:4 6:3

serena-smash.jpg

Axl

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
Pennetta played well, it wasn't easy for Williams.

Tsonga-Gonzalez was easily the best match of the tourney so far, insane hitting by Gonzo.

Senatore_M84

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Clarence Clyde Seedorf
NAdal showing some heart after a bad start. Love him.

And he's a leftie, and as we all know, being left handed is a sign of creativity and genius :D :D

Charbel

"Il Capitano"
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, L.Ronaldo, Nesta, Ambrosini
NAdal showing some heart after a bad start. Love him.

And he's a leftie, and as we all know, being left handed is a sign of creativity and genius :D :D
Actually he's not, his uncle(trainer as well) wanted him to do the forehand using the left hand and the backhand mainly with the right hand, and his left hand developed ot be quite strong.

Senatore_M84

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Clarence Clyde Seedorf
i fell inlove with another teenager..... caroline wozniacki, not my standard type but anyway... impress showing for the girl

Axl

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
Impressed by her looks or her game? ;)

I don't find her game that great to be honest. She defends well and is very consistent but she doesn't have power or a 'weapon' in her game. She relies on opponents errors to win matches and against the really good players like Serena this won't work. What's your opinion on Oudin btw? IMO even though she lost to Wozniacki yesterday, she seems like a bigger talent.

Senatore_M84

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Clarence Clyde Seedorf
Impressed by her looks or her game? ;)

I don't find her game that great to be honest. She defends well and is very consistent but she doesn't have power or a 'weapon' in her game. She relies on opponents errors to win matches and against the really good players like Serena this won't work. What's your opinion on Oudin btw? IMO even though she lost to Wozniacki yesterday, she seems like a bigger talent.

i knew nothing about wozniacki till yesterday so i'll still say oudin is a big talent who has a good future ahead of her.

No one will beat serena, she is a man. Williams sisters= steroids. I personally hate serena too. Venus is a classy lady who would give me world class athletic children.

Serena has never been 'beat' she just messed up :rolls eyes::

TBH I don't find much joy in the womens game, cause the Williams sister r too powerful and its not fun watching them beat up little girls...

as for the bolded part, i think you know :D :D

Axl

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
I think Clijsters is the only remaining player that can trouble Serena, but she's coming off a 2+ year layoff and Serena looks in great form, so S. is definitely going into that as the favourite.

I don't like her personality either, but I have to admit that she is a great player, easily an all-time great. It's not just the power in the shots; her serve is awesome, she moves really well and when it comes to mental toughness and willpower she's light years ahead of the rest. Since Henin's retirement there isn't really anyone at that level who can challenge her(excluding matches on clay).

Anyway, looking forward to the 2 QFs tonight, should be good.

Del Potro vs Cilic

Nadal vs Gonzalez

Schedule