1/16 - Brazil (3) vs. Chile (0) - June 28th

Who will make the quarterfinals?

• Total voters

Sod-Lod

Milanese Dominator
Reaction score
Samba boys turn on style Brazil 3 - 0 Chile

Brazil turned on the style as they won 3-0 against Chile. Two quickfire goals in the first half from Juan and Luis Fabiano sealed the tie, before Robinho's cool finish sent Dunga's men into a quarter-final clash with Netherlands.

MATCH SUMMARY
Man of the Match: Juan - While Brazil's attacking trio will take all the plaudits again, the big centre back deserves his share of the praise after another impeccable game in defence. Juan opened the scoring for the Selecao with a prodigious leap and firm header, but it was his positioning and reading of the game that allowed him to snuff out a string of attacking moves launched by Chile's quick strikers. Will need to maintain this sort of form as the competition nears its final phase.

Brazil verdict: The five-time World Cup winners are looking formidable. Though this was a game they fully expected to win, they did so in a manner befitting their pedigree.

The protective screen of Gilberto Silva and Ramires limited Chile to few chances, yet both underlined their attacking instincts too.

With Kaka regaining a semblance of form, Robinho looking reborn from the player seen at Manchester City and Luis Fabiano in clinical mood Dunga's side underlined again that they are the team to beat in South Africa.

Chile verdict: Sadly, being neat and tidy in possession means little unless you can unlock the defence in front of you.

As with their game against Spain, Chile moved the ball intelligently, and with pace, but couldn't open up a mean Brazil defence.

Their gung-ho style caught up with them for two of the three goals; their lack of height the other.

They can go home proud of their efforts, and knowing they were beaten by the tournament's firm favourites.

Could do better: Mark Gonzalez - The former Liverpool winger underlined why the club were happy for him to leave. Despite seeing plenty of the ball in positions which could have hurt Brazil his delivery was consistently poor.

Moves broke down at his feet and the confidence he must have taken from his match-winning goal against Switzerland seemed to have evaporated.

Stat attack: Brazil are undefeated in 33 games under Dunga when Kaka and Robinho have played together, winning 29 and drawing four.

Congratulations for Brazil & its fans and hard luck to Chile & its fans!

ww

Banned
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Lugano, Raí, Rogério Ceni, Ambrosini, Gattuso
Omg I just wish that this WC were in the summer and Kaká's mom were wearing a bikini. What a hot bitch!

I found a photo of her.

Carol-and-Simone-Leite-caroline-celico-12474112-400-300.jpg

She's the zebra beside Kaká's biatch. I would bang both.

Congo Powers

⭐⭐
Reaction score
Fav. Players
B&G, RuiCosta, Pippo, Sheva, Stam, Kaka, Abbiati, Cassano, Mexes, TH19, RL10, KPB, 45, Krunic
could have watched this game...but brazil isnt rlly appealing 2 me this WC 4 sum reason.

oh ya brazil's 2 best players rnt in the squad

:o

Charbel

"Il Capitano"
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, L.Ronaldo, Nesta, Ambrosini
When someone gets hit on the foot. You don't dive around like that.

I don't see how you can really speak when you say that Kaka never dived at Milan.
I'm going to ask you to go watch the video, he didn't fucken dive. His leg got caught both ways...imagine the impact of that..he just fell for fucken sake.

Kaka' used to fall pretty very easily at Milan in my opinion, and fuck I was with that considering all the hard fouls he had to endure.
I think Kaka's high, look at his face.

He looked rather happy, something we haven't seen since his Milan days . :proud:

KujaIX

Mexes & Muntari fanboy
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Current team
Omg I just wish that this WC were in the summer and Kaká's mom were wearing a bikini. What a hot bitch!

I found a photo of her.

Carol-and-Simone-Leite-caroline-celico-12474112-400-300.jpg

She's the zebra beside Kaká's biatch. I would bang both.

Looks like a more stretched Sandra Bullock.

GreatKalu

I still believe!
Reaction score
could have watched this game...but brazil isnt rlly appealing 2 me this WC 4 sum reason.

oh ya brazil's 2 best players rnt in the squad

:o
Dunno Congo ... pretty damn effective team. Pato I can see in the squad easily ... but Dinho? I'm not to sure. So far, Dunga's proven that he was right so far.

No flair, no outrageous skill ... just precision effective football backed with Italian-like defending. Don't know how much they'll miss Ramires, but can't wait for Holland - Brazil.

KujaIX

Mexes & Muntari fanboy
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Current team
I'm going to ask you to go watch the video, he didn't fucken dive. His leg got caught both ways...imagine the impact of that..he just fell for fucken sake.

Kaka' used to fall pretty very easily at Milan in my opinion, and fuck I was with that considering all the hard fouls he had to endure.

He looked rather happy, something we haven't seen since his Milan days . :proud:

Sure Lucio's foot was caught. Did i say it was a dive? I'm just saying that Kaka used to dive all the time, yet you defended him. Like the dive against Chievo.

Charbel

"Il Capitano"
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Well Ramires was never a starting 11, but unless Elano and Melo will be still injured, then he will not be missed. That being said, he was pretty impressive - did what he had to do.

By the way, totally right on the Pato point. If he was playing instead of Robinho today, that right flank would have been on fire.

Kaka' was MOM.

Charbel

"Il Capitano"
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Sure Lucio's foot was caught. Did i say it was a dive? I'm just saying that Kaka used to dive all the time, yet you defended him. Like the dive against Chievo.

When someone gets hit on the foot. You don't dive around like that.

I don't see how you can really speak when you say that Kaka never dived at Milan.
No comment.

Congo Powers

⭐⭐
Reaction score
Fav. Players
B&G, RuiCosta, Pippo, Sheva, Stam, Kaka, Abbiati, Cassano, Mexes, TH19, RL10, KPB, 45, Krunic
Dunno Congo ... pretty damn effective team. Pato I can see in the squad easily ... but Dinho? I'm not to sure. So far, Dunga's proven that he was right so far.

No flair, no outrageous skill ... just precision effective football backed with Italian-like defending. Don't know how much they'll miss Ramires, but can't wait for Holland - Brazil.

yes..they r a good team.

but flair and outrageous skill is all i like..

Ghisolfa

SUN SEMPER CHI
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Baresi, Maldini, Baggio, Pirlo
The obsession with "diving" and accusing players who have been fouled of diving needs to chill out. This board is getting pathetic with these circular debates over whether Dempsey, Kaka, or whoever "dives" or doesn't dive.

No one likes to see simulation in the game, but getting your panties in a bunch every time a player falls to the ground is just a ridiculous thing to be so focused upon.

GreatKalu

I still believe!
Reaction score
yes..they r a good team.

but flair and outrageous skill is all i like..

Understood. Different tastes is all it is. I think flair/skill is entertaining, but doesn't necessarily guarantee trophies. At least not nowadays, with the way the game has evolved ... now, precision + efficiency are the order of the day if you want to be successful.

BTW ... I didn't see clearly, but didn't Maicon dive in the first half? You know, when the ref didn't award a freekick? I'm not too sure since I didn't catch the replay, and they never showed it again.

Charbel

"Il Capitano"
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Understood. Different tastes is all it is. I think flair/skill is entertaining, but doesn't necessarily guarantee trophies. At least not nowadays, with the way the game has evolved ... now, precision + efficiency are the order of the day if you want to be successful.

BTW ... I didn't see clearly, but didn't Maicon dive in the first half? You know, when the ref didn't award a freekick? I'm not too sure since I didn't catch the replay, and they never showed it again.
He did dive.

Ashish

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
R.I.P. Papa Berlu, G, R9, Nesta, Rui, Maldini, Gattuso, Robert Wieckiewicz, Brendan Gleeson
he dived in between two of the chilean defenders which happened right in front of the assistant ref
webb s a good ref

Ghisolfa

SUN SEMPER CHI
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Baresi, Maldini, Baggio, Pirlo

HE TOOK A DIVE??? PUT HIM BEHIND BARS!!!!
:head:

BTW, I think Webb did a great job that game in not falling for the simulation

Australiano1980

Empire of Brazil
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Van Basten, Savicevic, Gullit, Maldini, Romario, Zidane, Suker, Litmanen, Redondo
great game.. great great... thank you chile..

we past another stage.. slowly we getting there.. we gonna beat holland friday.. :)

right pedrito??? ;)

GreatKalu

I still believe!
Reaction score
He did dive.
Thanks. Of course, you wont be seeing those images anywhere near football shows, as it will harm the illusion that Brazil = harmonic football by the "Samba Kings".

Anyone have a clip of the dive? I'd like to have another look at it :D

rbrakhia80

its G b!tches !!!
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini , Nesta , Tiago Silva , Serginho , Kaka , dinho, Pato , Sheva , Seedorf...
Thanks. Of course, you wont be seeing those images anywhere near football shows, as it will harm the illusion that Brazil = harmonic football by the "Samba Kings".

Anyone have a clip of the dive? I'd like to have another look at it :D

Ok he dove so what's the point ??? He's a merda player but still one of the best RB if not the best in the world ...

Madridista

not exactly a lightweight
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Doku, Osimhen, Rafael Leao, Tonali, Rodrygo, Valverde, De Paul, Lautaro Martinez, Pogba, Fekir
This Brazil side is not balanced in terms of workmanship and skill. In 2006 there was too much artists running around and not enough workers, in 2002 it was the right amount of both. Right now Robinho is the only artist in the side and he is worse than Romario, Ronaldo, Rivaldo or Ronaldinho. Its just not enough, two or at least one more player like that was needed (Ronaldinho and/or Pato). Like this, yeah they are efficient as hell, but there will come a time in the tournament where they won't have the difference maker they need to unzip the tightest of defences. Still remember how they struggled in the opening game against tight defence, scoring a freak goal to open the scoreline, and it was North Korea ffs. Im not talking just about stuff like people expecting Brazil to play beautiful game (which is kinda like their moral obligation), or the fact that they are betraying their traditional values of winning and playing well. Having another magician or two in Ronaldinho and/or Pato would have simply improved their chances. It would have had a lot more benefits than harm on the team. Between 23 players, how much can the hardworking spirit ruined by just one or two additions? Dunga's stubbornness and inexperience can cost them the WC.

Sheva0172

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Shevchenko, Maldini, Pippo, Nesta
I agree, i was wondering what would happen if Kaká picks up a knock this week. We'll see Baptista and this whole line-up doesn't work anymore.

Charbel

"Il Capitano"
Reaction score
Fav. Players
This Brazil side is not balanced in terms of workmanship and skill. In 2006 there was too much artists running around and not enough workers, in 2002 it was the right amount of both. Right now Robinho is the only artist in the side and he is worse than Romario, Ronaldo, Rivaldo or Ronaldinho. Its just not enough, two or at least one more player like that was needed (Ronaldinho and/or Pato). Like this, yeah they are efficient as hell, but there will come a time in the tournament where they won't have the difference maker they need to unzip the tightest of defences. Still remember how they struggled in the opening game against tight defence, scoring a freak goal to open the scoreline, and it was North Korea ffs. Im not talking just about stuff like people expecting Brazil to play beautiful game (which is kinda like their moral obligation), or the fact that they are betraying their traditional values of winning and playing well. Having another magician or two in Ronaldinho and/or Pato would have simply improved their chances. It would have had a lot more benefits than harm on the team. Between 23 players, how much can the hardworking spirit ruined by just one or two additions? Dunga's stubbornness and inexperience can cost them the WC.
Agreed.

But, you're forgetting the point that Brazil are a "counter-attack" team this year ALA Milan 2007. They don't need that "amount" of skills in their team. That being said, it wouldn't have killed Dunga to bring Pato and Ronaldinho, but let's wait and see.

Christian

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Costacurta, Seedorf, Albertini, Inzaghi, SES, Montolivo etc.

Nope, don't agree with this. Non of the 'big teams' are particularly strong in defense. Netherlands is the kinda team this Brazil is made for, Argentina is coached by Maradona, they're not gonna sit back, neither are Germany or Spain. Uruguay and Paraguay are well organised, and particularly Paraguay could be a problem, but they're in the opposite bracket. Brazil already beat Uruguay twice in the qualifiers so don't see any reason why they couldn't do that again.

I just don't see the team, or the coach, who would just sit back against Brazil. Maybe only Portugal could try it (again), but I don't see them getting to the final.

In any case, with the amount of cards Kaká is picking up, it does seem silly at least not to bring Ronaldinho, Ganso or Diego.

GreatKalu

I still believe!
Reaction score
Agreed.

But, you're forgetting the point that Brazil are a "counter-attack" team this year ALA Milan 2007. They don't need that "amount" of skills in their team. That being said, it wouldn't have killed Dunga to bring Pato and Ronaldinho, but let's wait and see.
Milan were counter attacking in 2007? I don't think so. There's a strong difference between a pressure game and simply sitting back deep + waiting for opponents to come at you, so that you have more spaces to hit them on the break with quick players. Kaka' was the only player that had reasonable pace for us back then ... and he DID NOT win the UCL ALL BY HIMSELF.

We went to OT and dominated possession in the first half. In the second leg, United barely saw the ball for a 20 minute spell in the second half. Against Munich, we outplayed them in the San Siro ... dominating possession as well.

I'm sorry, but I disagree. Huge difference between Milan 07 and this Brazilian side. This Brazilian side reminds me more of Inter last season.
Nope, don't agree with this. Non of the 'big teams' are particularly strong in defense. Netherlands is the kinda team this Brazil is made for, Argentina is coached by Maradona, they're not gonna sit back, neither are Germany or Spain. Uruguay and Paraguay are well organised, and particularly Paraguay could be a problem, but they're in the opposite bracket. Brazil already beat Uruguay twice in the qualifiers so don't see any reason why they couldn't do that again.

I just don't see the team, or the coach, who would just sit back against Brazil. Maybe only Portugal could try it (again), but I don't see them getting to the final.

In any case, with the amount of cards Kaká is picking up, it does seem silly at least not to bring Ronaldinho, Ganso or Diego.
You know, there's been a lot of negative talk about Brazil going into this WC. At the end of the day, the result is what counts. If Brazil win, no one will be complaining about the style or type of football.

I was watching a pre-tournament interview with the great Carlos Alberto, and even he, a defender, discredited the squad that was selected. He said that to win a world cup, you need 4-5 brilliant players ... and Brazil only had one - Kaka'. I think his statements kind of reflect the criticism Dunga's side have gotten, but IMO its only a product of how the game has evolved.

I would argue that Brazil does indeed have 4-5 brilliant players in Lucio, Juan, Maicon, Cesar, Ramires ... these players are reliable. You can put your money on them doing their jobs with no fuss, in any situation. Everyone can see Kaka' being a shadow of the player he was for us, but yet Brazil is such a good team, working for one another, that their team performance isn't being affected by Kaka's drop in form.

They may come out looking agricultural to some, but in the end of the day, they get the job done. Maybe not in style, but the result is what matters.

I'm not saying I like it ... I'd rather have a more attack oriented team win it; one that plays the game more fluidly like Germany. But at the expense of winning? I don't think so ...

BTW ... look what I found:

Next generation in Samba skillz? :proud:

Last edited:

Charbel

"Il Capitano"
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Milan were counter attacking in 2007? I don't think so. There's a strong difference between a pressure game and simply sitting back deep + waiting for opponents to come at you, so that you have more spaces to hit them on the break with quick players. Kaka' was the only player that had reasonable pace for us back then ... and he DID NOT win the UCL ALL BY HIMSELF.

We went to OT and dominated possession in the first half. In the second leg, United barely saw the ball for a 20 minute spell in the second half. Against Munich, we outplayed them in the San Siro ... dominating possession as well.

I'm sorry, but I disagree. Huge difference between Milan 07 and this Brazilian side. This Brazilian side remind me more of Inter last season.
To start with, that's my point of view.
By "counter-attack" team, I mean a team who counts on goals coming from counter-attacks. Take a look at Brazil this year, they're dominating possession most of the time, and are not waiting back, but most of their goals are coming from counter-attacks. The team is built around the character of Kaka', whose on of very few in that team who can lead a counter-attack. Fabiano doesn't seem a player that can do that like Kaka', neither can Robinho. Now, let's take a look at Milan. Only Kaka' was able to do that, Sure, Kaka' didn't lead the way alone. He got a lot of help from Seedorf *See Robinho in Brazil now * . With a good support from midfield especially defensively from Gattuso *See Melo* ...and with a good hand from the fullbacks .
Sure the fullbacks right now are a much better upgrade that Oddo, well at least Maicon is, but there seems a lot of similarities that one cannot deny. First and most importantly being - a team built around "Kaka'".

Admittedly, Brazil's defense is better - when Milan midfield was stronger , but they do posses a lot of similarities.

They're far off Inter of the previous season. Inter just defended, Brazil aren't doing that. They failed a tad today at keeping that enormous amount of possession simply because they had 2 changes in their midfield, and Robinho was very much off-form.

Madridista

not exactly a lightweight
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Doku, Osimhen, Rafael Leao, Tonali, Rodrygo, Valverde, De Paul, Lautaro Martinez, Pogba, Fekir
True if Brazil win nobody will complain. But if they don't, and theres a huge chance for that as ever, since a world cup is a lottery and there are a ton of quality sides more than ever actually, there will be a shitstorm for betraying the traditional approach for a conservative style that hasn't led to fruition. After all whats the point of pragmatism if you don't reach your final goal?

I said it before, Dunga is playing with fire. Germany playing like they did against England can beat Brazil. So can Netherlands, they are playing with hard battling style with swift attacking as well. Argentina and Spain on their day can also beat Brazil very easily even without changing their tactical disposition. Kaka has been terrible and Robinho generally only truly shines against weaker opposition. A game changer like Ronaldinho or Pato could have made the difference in a 50/50 clash. And Dunga renounces that..for what exactly? team spirit? He would have had that with them on board as well.

A winning Brazil side always had the necessary balance of artistry and hard work. As football evolved the ratio of artists vs. workers has decreased, but right now there just aren't enough creative players and it seems its taking it to extreme. In 2002 it was perfect.

ww

Banned
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Lugano, Raí, Rogério Ceni, Ambrosini, Gattuso

Lol to Robinho. The player who never had a good game or scored a goal against Barcelona and their whore-pussy defense. And you talk like Robinho was better than Kaká, haha.

Somehow Robinho is a little useful with Dunga. Maybe because disciplinary style of Dunga makes Robinho more humble.

Dunga should had call a sub to Kaká and that's the only great and fair argument against the brazilian manager.

This sub should not be Ronaldinho at all. Dunga want tough players working and not a lazy star that just wait for the ball to come to him and then, maybe, make a great pass.

The player who most deserved to be called as Kaká's sub was Carlos Eduardo. I would say Carlos Eduardo and Ganso but Dunga likes to know their players before give them a huge role and he doesn't know anything about Ganso's personality.

Dunga won every single competition so far. When Brazil was losing by 2x0 against USA, that it's a very disciplined and have a nice defense, Brazil scored 3 goals and won it.

If the adversarie wanna keep the defense hard, this adversarie will also face brazilian's hard defense. The difference is that when it's hard defense x hard defense, Brazil use to win since the players know better how to work in small spaces.

About Julio Baptista, when Robinho got neutralized by uruguaian defense, Baptista was the one who fought and scored the winning goal.

I'm not saying that Brazil will win for sure. The next game will be tough and if Brazil face Uruguay and Germany in the semi and final, will be very hard games but I think that with "artists", Brazil would be just a timed bomb.

In 2002, Felipão received similar critics than Dunga receive now.

Redman10

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Dunga has won everything w/o those players and he is in the quarterfinals w/o those players. He been right thus far even if they don't win the WC IMO. In fact, I see similar teams adopting a similar motto in the future. The team >>> individual stars.

Charbel

"Il Capitano"
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Dunga has won everything w/o those players and he is in the quarterfinals w/o those players. He been right thus far even if they don't win the WC IMO. In fact, I see similar teams adopting a similar motto in the future. The team >>> individual stars.
You must admit though, what Capitan Lugano said above you makes a lot of sense. One of Dunga's biggest mistakes was that he never brought a true sub for Kaka'. Let's hope that Brazil don't face a situation where they'll play without Kaka', but...if they do...I do see them in a big problem..at least on the offensive end.

That being said, Dunga's won every tournament they participated in, with this squad...so people criticizing him should look at the record he has achieved.

GreatKalu

I still believe!
Reaction score
To start with, that's my point of view.
Yeah ... thats your point of view, and you're entitled to it. I just think that that Milan side was mostly based on possession football. We used to bore our opposition to death at times, and then hit them hard with Kaka'. It was a team that was mostly based on the technical ability of all the players - who all seemed very comfortable on the ball par Dida :tongue: - and basically one hard-man/battler in Gattuso.

This Brazilian side, however, is based on strength ... and I mean physical strength, stamina, hard work, etc. Of course, as expected with any Brazilian team, all players are very sound technically ... but its not their main emphasis. Its sort of like the icing on the cake - the cake being made of organization, covering one another's backs, massive work rate, etc.

I hope you at least get my point of view. They are very similar to Inter - three key players are identical - as you can't say Inter were without technical ability. Similar to how you compared Milan to Brazil, you could also compare them to Inter ... except, the key/important part being the defense, rather than Kaka'.

In other words, I don't think Brazil is built around Kaka'. They are build around a strong defense which lets them play the way they do. No strong defense, and they'd actually have to start playing football, keeping the ball, etc.
True if Brazil win nobody will complain. But if they don't, and theres a huge chance for that as ever, since a world cup is a lottery and there are a ton of quality sides more than ever actually, there will be a shitstorm for betraying the traditional approach for a conservative style that hasn't led to fruition. After all whats the point of pragmatism if you don't reach your final goal?

I said it before, Dunga is playing with fire. Germany playing like they did against England can beat Brazil. So can Netherlands, they are playing with hard battling style with swift attacking as well. Argentina and Spain on their day can also beat Brazil very easily even without changing their tactical disposition. Kaka has been terrible and Robinho generally only truly shines against weaker opposition. A game changer like Ronaldinho or Pato could have made the difference in a 50/50 clash. And Dunga renounces that..for what exactly? team spirit? He would have had that with them on board as well.

A winning Brazil side always had the necessary balance of artistry and hard work. As football evolved the ratio of artists vs. workers has decreased, but right now there just aren't enough creative players and it seems its taking it to extreme. In 2002 it was perfect.
I get your point ... just think you're not giving this team as much credit as they deserve. I guess time will tell how they will cope against tougher opposition ... I just don't see Holland's attack causing too much of a threat. Yes, obviously the highlight will be Bastos vs Robben, but I'm sure Dunga will be prepared for him. V. Persie hasn't looked sharp, and Kuyt is as agricultural as they get. Holland's defense was opened up a few times already, although like you said, I doubt they will commit as many men forward as Chile did. It will be interesting ...

Regarding 2002 being perfect, keep in mind that their opposition wasn't that great. They faced an average German side in the final, that too without their most influential player - average in the sense that it was a German side that was in transition. Other than that, the only real notable opponents were England where Dinho indeed did make the difference.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see. But from the evidence I've seen thus far, I think this side's no slouch in comparison to the great Brazilian sides of the past.

Last edited:

Schedule