Status
Not open for further replies.

vB9

Man with a Plan
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Schmeichel, Maldini, Maradona and ME
@Goodfella

Dont remember Sacchi all that well. Capello? Look at his personnel, the trequartistas you speak of were good as strikers... they interchanged almost... still more than the alone striker deployed by Gattuso.

Carletto? The benched was shared by him and :b:

Zaccheroni won with mostly 2 upfront

I dont remember Sacchi at all - I know Milan from 1992 onwards.

Last edited:

rossonero1

Milan Legend
Reaction score
If Milan aren’t in the CL and Gattuso is retained then it’s clear as day this Elliott project is a joke.

rossonero1

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Inter will not win the league next year even if Conte coaches them

You’re acting like the sky is falling when Milan have had the best season and stable leadership in YEARS

My friend, you are losing touch.

Stable isn’t the best word if Leo walks out the door after 1 season. :lol:

vB9

Man with a Plan
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Leo wanted SMS... they refused him.

'They' being Milan

Neruda

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini,Nesta,Zidane
Honestly Carlo Milans squad was best suited for a narrow formation so i dont see the problem. 4321 in particular

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vB9

Man with a Plan
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Honestly Carlo Milans squad was best suited for a narrow formation so i dont see the problem. 4321 in particular

the 1-2 or 2-1 upfront is a different style of football. The middle guy of the 3 in midfield isnt the creative force but a holding type the 2 either side are box to box... and the top 3 are playing around the box which is dangerous and thats wot you want! Fuck wud you want an attacker playing near the corner flag for... not gonna score from there!

Last edited:

Congo Powers

⭐⭐
Reaction score
Fav. Players
B&G, RuiCosta, Pippo, Sheva, Stam, Kaka, Abbiati, Cassano, Mexes, TH19, RL10, KPB, 45, Krunic
carlo had 3 god tier midfielders that could retain possession...so he played them all at the same time. seedorf/ruicosta/pirlo enabled him to play 2 strikers, he changed it when kaka replaced the portuguese and added another dm for the striker

the formation is predicate on the players, whoever the coach is

vB9

Man with a Plan
Reaction score
Fav. Players
This is the poorest era of footballers! No great defenders... no great mids.

I mean truly great.

Congo Powers

⭐⭐
Reaction score
Fav. Players
B&G, RuiCosta, Pippo, Sheva, Stam, Kaka, Abbiati, Cassano, Mexes, TH19, RL10, KPB, 45, Krunic
The middle guy of the 3 in midfield isnt the creative force but a holding type the 2 either side are box to box... and the top 3 are playing around the box which is dangerous and thats wot you want!

but carlo's entire tenure was built on the the middle guy of the midfield 3 being the creative force.....
:monto:

vB9

Man with a Plan
Reaction score
Fav. Players
but carlo's entire tenure was built on the the middle guy of the midfield 3 being the creative force.....
:monto:

I was talking modern-day why we shud play that formation. Pirlo was an accidental discovery, he was tried as trequartista.

How many times did Carlo play Pirlo and a trequartista with 2 additional strikers? Most times it was a striker and Kaka as SS... the time he did play with 2 strikers Kaka was called back to midfield.

Goodfella

Milan Legend
Reaction score
@Goodfella

Dont remember Sacchi all that well. Capello? Look at his personnel, the trequartistas you speak of were good as strikers... they interchanged almost... still more than the alone striker deployed by Gattuso.

How was that a 4-3-1-2 though? Let alone an "outdated form of 4-3-1-2 with classic trequartista and two conventional CFs".

Savicevic had the versatility, which a natural born CF lacks.

Zach deployed a 3-4-3 or 3-4-1-2 and Weah was pretty versatile.

I'm not a fan at all of the way the team plays under Rino.

Congo Powers

⭐⭐
Reaction score
Fav. Players
I was talking modern-day why we shud play that formation. Pirlo was an accidental discovery, he was tried as trequartista.

How many times did Carlo play Pirlo and a trequartista with 2 additional strikers? Most times it was a striker and Kaka as SS... the time he did play with 2 strikers Kaka was called back to midfield.

the only times that carlo did not play 2 strikers in 02/03 was when sheva was injured

the next season it was 2 strikers, tomasson more often than pippo because injury

all this time rui costa was the #10(!or kaka!) and pirlo regista

Last edited:

vB9

Man with a Plan
Reaction score
Fav. Players
How was that a 4-3-1-2 though? Let alone an "outdated form of 4-3-1-2 with classic trequartista and two conventional CFs".

Savicevic had the versatility, which a natural born CF lacks.

Lets not pigeon hole those players... SS, CF, trequartistas... bs FM/modern day terminologies. Point Im trying to make is that they were attacking players who played near the goal.

Players I remember were Ganz, Simone, Massaro, Papin, Sav... they played lot mins together. Thats the point... numbers upfront!

Wot does a 12y.o know of formations... wot Im saying is I dont recall Milan with a lone striker!

Congo Powers

⭐⭐
Reaction score
Fav. Players
the time he did play with 2 strikers Kaka was called back to midfield.

no..in later seasons kaka was placed as a striker and a midfielder (ambrosini) was put on

Neruda

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini,Nesta,Zidane
This is the poorest era of footballers! No great defenders... no great mids.

I mean truly great.

I fear it can only get worst

vB9

Man with a Plan
Reaction score
Fav. Players
the only times that carlo did not play 2 strikers in 02/03 was when sheva was injured

the next season it was 2 strikers, tomasson more often than pippo because injury

all this time rui costa was the #10 and pirlo regista

This is true. Kinda forgotten my original point I was arguing. Unique times they were...

Id like to see Tonali in the middle 3 and play with an old style no.10 + 2 strikers. If not, Kante in the middle and Lupaq & Tonali on sides.

Last edited:

vB9

Man with a Plan
Reaction score
Fav. Players
oliver bierhoff was there at one time... he had a partner too

Congo Powers

⭐⭐
Reaction score
Fav. Players
oliver bierhoff was there at one time... he had a partner too

sometimes he did...but the 98/99 season was all a 3 man defense. more often than not the front 3 was flat, not a 1-2

vB9

Man with a Plan
Reaction score
Fav. Players
sometimes he did...but the 98/99 season was all a 3 man defense. more often than not the front 3 was flat, not a 1-2

Im guessing it was a compact 3 upfront, yes? Not this 1 in the centre and 2 near the sidelines. Thats different, that shows balls!

vB9

Man with a Plan
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Hang on... didnt Boban play the no.10 role that season? That was 1-2. Weah was the partner with oliver.

Leo too with the no.10 role.

Congo Powers

⭐⭐
Reaction score
Fav. Players
obviously..leonardo/weah/shevchenko wide in a front 3 will be different from a suso/samu/borini :lol:

Goodfella

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Lets not pigeon hole those players... SS, CF, trequartistas... bs FM/modern day terminologies. Point Im trying to make is that they were attacking players who played near the goal.

Players I remember were Ganz, Simone, Massaro, Papin, Sav... they played lot mins together. Thats the point... numbers upfront!

Wot does a 12y.o know of formations... wot Im saying is I dont recall Milan with a lone striker!

This has nothing to do with my point though.
Nobody is saying that Gullit and Savicevic left Van Basten/Massaro isolated the way Hakan and Suso do now to the CF.
Yes, the formation on paper reveal very little about how the team plays, but you're the one taking the numbers too literally and getting confused and mixing up things for some reason.

You can't tell me Massaro's & Savicevic's roles were identical.

Berlu doesn't just want a front duo, he wants two Massaros rather than a Massaro-Savicevic combo. And he wants them to rely on the service of the fantasista/genius behind them. A Dinho type.....or Suso, lol.
This is simply not pragmatical. Not to mention how clueless you have to be to even think that it might work out with Suso.

vB9

Man with a Plan
Reaction score
Fav. Players
There was no Sheva in '98.

Congo Powers

⭐⭐
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Hang on... didnt Boban play the no.10 role that season? That was 1-2. Weah was the partner with oliver.

Leo too with the no.10 role.

leo had similar apperances boban that season...sometimes zvone in cm, sometimes leo on right/left etc

the back 3 lasted sporadically until even the 2000/01 season

vB9

Man with a Plan
Reaction score
Fav. Players
This has nothing to do with my point though.
Nobody is saying that Gullit and Savicevic left Van Basten/Massaro isolated the way Hakan and Suso do now to the CF.
Yes, the formation on paper reveal very little about how the team plays, but you're the one taking the numbers too literally and getting confused and mixing up things for some reason.

You can't tell me Massaro's & Savicevic's roles were identical.

Berlu doesn't just want a front duo, he wants two Massaros rather than a Massaro-Savicevic combo. And he wants them to rely on the service of the fantasista/genius behind them. A Dinho type.....or Suso, lol.
This is simply not pragmatical. Not to mention how clueless you have to be to even think that it might work out with Suso.

Im sorry, Im sorry... Im all over the place here. Pls, may we start over? Thanks.

Right, from I gather you are saying 2 upfront & a no.10 is outdated, yes? Wot Im saying is thats our identity why abandon it.

Take the game to them, I agree with :b:... 'Attaccare'

No, Massa & Savicevic were not the same... dont insult Sava, man, lol. But Sava scored goals, thats the point, a playmaker who was dangerous, if he didnt score he wud create.

Moggster

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Robben, Zidane, Ibra, Nesta, Ronaldinho
When Suso and Hakan are sold Piatek and Silva will once again shine bright like diamonds.

vB9

Man with a Plan
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Fuck the no.10... you say playing 2 upfront is outdated?

vB9

Man with a Plan
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Wot Im saying is fuck Pep and fuck John Wick. We are Antonio Banderas from Desperado... we use 2 guns, that was just as stylish back in the day.

Goodfella

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Right, from I gather you are saying 2 upfront & a no.10 is outdated, yes?

4-3-1-2 with zero support strikers and a nr 10 without workrate & athleticism is outdated.

Wot Im saying is thats our identity why abandon it.

I'm saying it's not our identity since that's not how Sacchi's and Capello's Milan played.

They did not deploy a system with a back-four, midfield-three, a nr 10 and two 9s.

Take the game to them, I agree with :b:... 'Attaccare'

I do also prefer a proactive game. I do also prefer to see the team attack with numbers. I do also prefer to see Piatek recieve more help from the other attackers.

There are many different ways to do that.
Silvio's preferred way is not pragmatical.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Schedule