Alessio Romagnoli Thread

Qaas

Vi må tage det som det kommer
Reaction score
Fav. Players
KAKA, Maldini, Nesta, Dida, Inzaghi, Sheva, TSilva, R9, Raul, Casillas, Schmeichel, Messi, Zlatan
That dude skriniar partnered with miranda in his first two seasons.. and now de vrij and godin. And people have the audacity to compare them, when one of them can make few mistakes here and there but the other can’t, because of mediocre partners who can’t cover for him.

Anyways he should leave this summer for his own sake

helloAgain

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Should have done better on the goal. Obviously Lukaku is very strong but I think one of Romagnoli's weaknesses are being beaten for a header by balls from the wing. I remember Belotti scoring a similar goal against him.

Especially since I thought Lukaku was awful today and practically offered no movement so he generally had nothing to deal with.

he is good in aerial challenges but obviously there will be some mistakes here and there. no need to panic in that department.

Goodfella

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Not the strongest in the air, or fastest on the ground, or the best man-marker.
But he's a good CB. Composed on the ball, doesn't sell himself cheaply with risky tackles, great positional sense. The only outfielder who doesn't present serious problems for us.

Hopefully he stays, but not at all costs.

Boban1982

Sempre Milan
Reaction score
At fault for Lukaku's goal but apart from that was excellent. He also is playing next to the liability that is Musacchio.

Qaas

Vi må tage det som det kommer
Reaction score
Fav. Players
KAKA, Maldini, Nesta, Dida, Inzaghi, Sheva, TSilva, R9, Raul, Casillas, Schmeichel, Messi, Zlatan
Such a great run.

Mr. Milanista

Milanista since Birth
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Nesta, Zidane, Figo, Romagnoli
That run was amazing to see. Gave me the chills. It's nice to see how he fights for us. Fucking Piatek should have finished that

Boban1982

Sempre Milan
Reaction score
Brilliant run and just what we need from our captain.

He is leading the team well and improves season on season.

Ronin

Milansochist
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Nesta, Gattuso, Rui Costa, Albertini, Serginho, Seedorf, Redondo, Ibrahimovic, Ronaldinho
Andre Silva would've scored that

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Maldini, Buffon, Rino*Pirlo*Clarence, Sheva, Totti, Ibra, Pippo, Giacomo, Carlo, Il Dottore
2nd match now for which Acerbi has been selected ahead of Romagnoli, and it's fully deserved. Hopefully Pioli can help him get to the next level.

mleite

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Kaká, Montolivo, Romagnoli🌟, Suso, Bonaventura, Calhanoglu, Kessie, Cutrone, Paqueta, Bakayo
No, not fully deserved, Mancini prefers Ale for important matches.

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Maldini, Buffon, Rino*Pirlo*Clarence, Sheva, Totti, Ibra, Pippo, Giacomo, Carlo, Il Dottore
Our Ale is on the field now for the critical match against Liechtenstein!

NiceGuy123

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Is this guy really captain material?

Not really. He's a good player, but not a great one. He's definitely not as issue with his team though. He would do very well with a better centre back next to him.

It's sad to say but he's still very untested at the high level. Just thinking about it, what's the biggest match he's played in his career? Comparing him to someone like Jose Gimenez as they are the same age. Gimenez has already played regularly in 2 World Cups and played in probably 4 or 5 Champions League campaigns including knockout matches. Romagnoli's biggest .atches have probably been Milan vs. Juve (not a scudetto matchup) ir the Milan derby (majority of the time between 2 teams closer to mid table than top). None of this is his fault of course but it's scary how little experience he has given that he's been a starter for about 5 years. This speaks more on the club and effect on career trajectory though.

Last edited:

mleite

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Kaká, Montolivo, Romagnoli🌟, Suso, Bonaventura, Calhanoglu, Kessie, Cutrone, Paqueta, Bakayo
https://twitter.com/acmilanbr/status/1188583652852228101?s=21

post match interview

He looks miserable for most of it but when he talks about the future he starts to smile

He’s level headed & positive

For me Ale has behaved like a captain since he joined us, gives directions on the pitch, gives encouragement & instructions during goal celebrations.

Since he has become captain I’ve noticed more that he looks after our players, anything kicks off & he’s there protecting them & the adversary backs off!

Don’t know what he is like in the locker room, Bona said he’s always positive.

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Is this guy really captain material?

Let me just say that if captaincy is the chip needed to retain our one world-class player, I'd gladly give that to Donnarumma next summer.

MilanMB

Serendipity
Reaction score
I don't know about that either, Donna is already big headed in a good way and a leading figure on the pitch. I think captaincy will put extra pressure on him, just like it did with Romagnoli.

We really don't have anyone in the squad who'd be a good captain, as the lack of leadership is one of the main reasons for our shittyness. If Modric had arrived in the summer, he'd be a great captain.

Goodfella

Milan Legend
Reaction score
If Modric had arrived in the summer, he'd be a great captain.

Giving the armband to a new signing, who is new to the country and probably doesn't even speak Italian? umm, no, that doesn't sound like a good idea.
Maybe after one year at the club, but he's already 34.
He rejected Boban/Milan anyway, so it doesn't matter.

Captaincy has become mostly a burden, thanks to the expectations and pressure from silly Milanisti. At this point it's better to just hand it to the least hated player.
Romagnoli is the best choice all things considered. He may not have Reina's indestructible confidence or experience, or Biglia's maturity, but I haven't noticed any regression since his "promotion" and his popularity has prevented the moronic fan outrages we saw during Monto's reign.

The team is conceding too many goals at the moment, however you don't need to look any further than the unbalanced lineups to see where most of the problems stem from.
A walking disaster at RB, an RCM who can't cope with the tempo, a passenger at RW, an attacker at LB, Biglia/Bennacer as "protector", a lightweight CB partner for Ale.
Any CB would struggle under these circumstances.

Much of it can be fixed with our current players. The "probable" lineup posted in the match-thread looks far more balanced than the previous ones, although Bennacer is a huge liability.

We still lack aerially strong players.
Ale is good in the air but not particularly good for a CB. Musacchio and his 1.80m body is a joke. They're probably one of the weakest CB duos in Serie A, in that sense.
Still this problem was barely felt last season when there was Baka, who not only played an immense role during open play but also on set pieces. Even Nesta & TS had a hard time defending set pieces without Van Bommel & Ibra. Mexes-Zapata without Balo & Ambro.
Roma-Musa currently have Calabria or PTSD Conti, Bennacer or Biglia, Paqueta, Suso. Theo & Kessie are okay, but not enough to compensate for the rest.
They've not even had Piatek lately(he also played an important role when defending set pieces).

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Giving the armband to a new signing, who is new to the country and probably doesn't even speak Italian? umm, no, that doesn't sound like a good idea.

Captaincy has become mostly a burden, thanks to the expectations and pressure from silly Milanisti. At this point it's better to just hand it to the least hated player.
Romagnoli is the best choice all things considered. He may not have Reina's indestructible confidence or experience, or Biglia's maturity, but I haven't noticed any regression since his "promotion" and his popularity has prevented the moronic fan outrages we saw during Monto's reign.

The team is conceding too many goals at the moment, however you don't need to look any further than the unbalanced lineups to see where most of the problems stem from.
A walking disaster at RB, an RCM who can't cope with the tempo, a passenger at RW, an attacker at LB, Biglia/Bennacer as "protector", a lightweight CB partner for Ale.

Much of it can be fixed with our current players. The "probable" lineup posted in the match-thread looks far more balanced than the previous ones, although Bennacer is a huge liability.

Ale is good in the air but not particularly good for a CB. Musacchio and his 1.80m body is a joke. They're probably one of the weakest CB duos in Serie A, in that sense.
Still this problem was barely felt last season when there was Baka, who not only played an immense role during open play but also on set pieces. Even Nesta & TS had a hard time defending set pieces without Van Bommel & Ibra. Mexes-Zapata without Balo & Ambro.
Roma-Musa currently have Calabria or PTSD Conti, Bennacer or Biglia, Paqueta, Suso. Theo & Kessie are okay, but not enough to compensate for the rest.
They've not even had Piatek lately(he also played an important role when defending set pieces).

Excellent post, thoroughly enjoyed reading this :thumbsup:

The team was 'built' for Giampaolo's football, which unfortunately makes it unsuited for most other types of football. I honestly can't see Bennacer or Krunic doing well in this current Milan over a lengthy period. Someone like Bakayoko on the other hand, who'd have had little to do in the Giampaolo style, would suit most other forms of modern football including Pioli's.

All in all, what a glorious mess.

Buske

Milan Legend
Reaction score

:thumbsup::star:

Goodfella

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Excellent post, thoroughly enjoyed reading this :thumbsup:

The team was 'built' for Giampaolo's football, which unfortunately makes it unsuited for most other types of football. I honestly can't see Bennacer or Krunic doing well in this current Milan over a lengthy period. Someone like Bakayoko on the other hand, who'd have had little to do in the Giampaolo style, would suit most other forms of modern football including Pioli's.

All in all, what a glorious mess.

Thanks.
I'm still optimistic despite everything. I believe there are ways to deal with the weaknesses even with the current players. Our Top 4 chances seem gone when you look at how Atalanta are performing, but I think Pioli can use what's remaining of this season to improve the team in a way none of our previous coaches could.
This 3241, or 4141 or 3331 or however it'd be described, reminds me of Gasperini's approach. It's obviously an unbalanced mess at the moment, but I expect considerable improvements once he finds the right personnel and they're given time to build chemistry. I just hope he won't chicken out of it and fall back to a low risk low reward approach like our previous coaches.

Krunic seems like a very poor fit for a conventional 3 man midfield in front of a back-four, regardless of how possession-oriented they are. He's just not enough of a proper midfielder for that. He's somewhere between a midfielder and attacker.
Pioli's ideas seem to suit him. I think he can be at least a nice bench option for the right-attacking-midfielder role(Paqueta's role). It seems crafted for his energetic, direct style.

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
^Yes, it is kinda Gasperini with a feeling of 'straight-line' football. However, Gasperini's players are physically strong and can press one-on-one and win duels easily. I don't think a single one of our players have the ability to consistently do that.

I'm generally very optimistic regarding Milan, but I think the current situation is best experienced from a pessimistic backseat :) I'm not long-term pessimistic at all, because the brand is still extremely valuable and we will get sold eventually to someone who will invest. Stadium project seems to be genuinely taking off as well.

As you said, this is a good situation for Pioli to try hard things and not wimp out. We probably won't get top 4 either way and wherever we finish he probably won't be retained after the club is sold, so there's very little to lose.

MilanMB

Serendipity
Reaction score

One year doesn't do anything for your point.

I have no issue appointing an experienced quality player like Modric as the captain right away, especially in a team that lacks leadership. It's one of our main weaknesses.