Votes: 49 57.6%
  • nain

Votes: 36 42.4%

• Total voters

Madridista

not exactly a lightweight
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Doku, Osimhen, Rafael Leao, Tonali, Rodrygo, Valverde, De Paul, Lautaro Martinez, Pogba, Fekir
Anyone of Van Basten or Rijkaard would be great, but I doubt Berlusconi will allow sufficient money for coaches of that calliber, so we'll probaby end up with Tasotti.

andyhello23

Banned
Reaction score
Hiddink will still be best choice but i doubt he will come as we are so rubbish at mo.

Donato

The Wise One
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Kaka', Maldini, Pippo, T.Silva, Ronaldinho, Shevchenko, Pirlo, Seedorf, Gattuso, Ibra, Nesta, Pato
yeah hiddink would be fantastic! but id take mvB

Jasper

Maldini tier
Reaction score
Fav. Players
3; Marat Safin; Tiziano Crudeli; 2Pac; Christian Bale; Martin M??rsepp; Balotelli.
Told CNN that he isn't really rooting for anyone. If he had to pick it would be inter just because they're italian and he has more ties to that. A bit unexpected pick the fans would think but it's all different among players.

This are the points I memorized from the mini-interview.

Sheva0172

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Shevchenko, Maldini, Pippo, Nesta
During the first derby (0-4) this season he was analysing for a dutch tv network. When it was 0-3 after the first half they asked him what he felt. He said he didn't care. He didn't know the people who were playing in a Milan shirt & he said that Inter played great football..

Pedro

iedereen is gek
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Paolo Maldini & Marc-André ter Stegen
I am very thankful he is not going to be our coach.

hdcantona

Senatore_M84's Protege
Reaction score
Did anyone watch "football's greatest - Van Basten" ?

Very enjoyable watch indeed.

Jasper

Maldini tier
Reaction score
Fav. Players
3; Marat Safin; Tiziano Crudeli; 2Pac; Christian Bale; Martin M??rsepp; Balotelli.
I like Milanchannels choice of music here:

Baresiuno

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Uh, not quite. Van Basten was way better then the song.
Hm, ok carreer he had:
For Milan 90 goals in 147 matches.
Total goals for top clubs (Milan + Ajax): 218 goals in 280 matches!! :eek:
Holland NT: 24 goals in 58 matches.

European footballer of the year 3 times.
FIFA world player OTY 1 time.

Legend! :star:

Last edited:

KujaIX

Mexes & Muntari fanboy
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Current team
Jesus christ that is a good goalscoring record. 90 in 147 is fucking amazing. 218 in 280 is very :eek:

Ashish

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
R.I.P. Papa Berlu, G, R9, Nesta, Rui, Maldini, Gattuso, Robert Wieckiewicz, Brendan Gleeson
this fact is not to challenge MVB there is one person who played for milan in pre historic times who had an excellent excellent scoring record

442 goals in 504 matches .. nordahl
210 from 257 :eek:
are nordahl and mvb the top scorers for milan?

Jasper

Maldini tier
Reaction score
Fav. Players

Sheva0172

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Shevchenko, Maldini, Pippo, Nesta
I orderd an awesome book about v Basten and mainly his years at Milan today. Well, i hope it is awesome ^^

MilanMB

Serendipity
Reaction score
Download Footballs Greatest: Marco Van Basten

sinttulowq.png

Sod-Lod

Milanese Dominator
Reaction score
Amsterdam: Marco van basten at lunch with the rossoneri 9/28/2010

AMSTERDAM: MARCO VAN BASTEN AT LUNCH WITH THE ROSSONERI

MILAN – Marco Van Basten visited the Milan camp in Amsterdam this morning. He also had a chat with Pippo Inzaghi, Clarence Seedorf and Zlatan Ibrahimovic, before having lunch with the Rossoneri, sitting at the table of Milan’s coaching staff. Adriano Galliani, after meeting the Swan of Utrecht, took part in the official pre-game banquet along with the Ajax management.

Sod-Lod

Milanese Dominator
Reaction score
My Golden Boy: Marco Van Basten

Marco Van Basten collected a hat-trick of Golden Balls. Susy Campanale recalls a Milan and Holland legend

If anyone personifies the image of the Ballon d’Or, then it must be Marco Van Basten. Along with Johan Cruyff and Michel Platini, he is one of only three men to have lifted the Golden Ball trophy on three separate occasions.

The Milan hero is widely considered the most complete striker of all time and could’ve won many more had his career not been so cruelly cut short at the age of just 28. “Football has lost its Leonardo Da Vinci,” said Adriano Galliani. “He was everything, you see – an architect and an artist.”

He was two-footed, athletic and graceful as befitting someone who originally wanted to be a gymnast. One of the first major signings of President Silvio Berlusconi’s tenure in 1987, he was quickly followed by Dutch teammates Ruud Gullit and Frank Rijkaard. For the next few years, the trio would dominate Italian, European and international football as well as the Ballon d’Or voting.

Young Marcel – for that is his full name – started his career at a local Utrecht side before joining Ajax, aged 17. Fittingly enough, he made his debut on April 3, 1982, by substituting Cruyff and scored a goal. Top marksman in the Dutch Eredivisie for four consecutive campaigns thanks to an extraordinary 117 goals in 112 matches, he was unstoppable. The Golden Boot award followed in 1986 after scoring 37 times in 26 games and then the Cup-Winners Cup. It was clear he was destined for greatness and decided to test himself against the toughest defences of all in Serie A.

Milan were just starting Silvio Berlusconi’s ambitious project at the time, as he rescued the club from bankruptcy, but made a clear statement of intent by spending $800,000 to bring in the 22-year-old Oranje hero. He began with typical flair, scoring on his Rossoneri debut against Pisa on September 13, 1987, but despite his side winning the title for the first time in nine years and with some decisive goals against Napoli and Empoli, Van Basten spent six months on the treatment table after ankle surgery and played only 11 games.

He was to return a new man for the next campaign, having won the European Championship with Holland. Originally dropped from the line-up, Van Basten bagged a hat-trick against England, scored an astounding late winner against West Germany and in the Final netted perhaps the most famous goal in the history of the competition, that volley from the tightest of angles to beat the USSR 2-0.

If Holland earned Van Basten his first Ballon d’Or in 1988, then Milan helped him to a second 12 months later. Getting a brace in the European Cup Final against Steaua Bucharest, then securing the European Super Cup and Intercontinental Cup, he again crushed the opposition to take the France Football trophy. For the second year running, the entire podium was made up of Rossoneri players. “Van Basten – the Divine,” wrote journalist Gianni Brera.

Milan retained the European Cup, European Super Cup and Intercontinental Cup, but that year also found a disappointing World Cup for the Dutch trio. A poor season followed with Sampdoria taking the Scudetto, Van Basten’s falling out with Arrigo Sacchi and Milan’s year-long ban from Europe.

However, Marco was back in business with the Capocannoniere crown for 1991-92 with 25 goals in 31 games for Fabio Capello’s Milan – the highest Serie A tally in 26 years – who remained unbeaten for the entire tournament. In November 1992 he got four goals against both Scudetto rivals Napoli and Champions League side Goteborg, the kind of form that earned Van Basten his third Ballon d’Or trophy a few weeks later.

More were expected in this glittering career, but the right ankle injury that had plagued him since his teenage years became chronic. "Marco always played football like a ballerina, but his ankle eventually couldn't take the strain," said surgeon Rene Marti. He went under the knife in early 1993 and tried to battle on for another two years and three operations, but in the end had to concede it was over. His last game was the Champions League Final defeat to Olympique Marseille on May 26, 1993, aged 28.

“I tried two weeks of pre-season training and I intensely believed I could play again, going to surgeons, acupuncturists, even a witch! I spent eight wonderful years at Milan, but I cannot be a football player any more. This is life.” A moved Marco saluted the 70,000 fans at San Siro during the traditional summer Trofeo Berlusconi on August 18, 1995. The Gazzetta dello Sport headline read: ‘Where are we ever going to find someone like him again?’ They’re still searching.
The 1988 Golden Ball podium
Marco Van Basten (Milan) 129 points
Ruud Gullit (Milan) 88 points
Frank Rijkaard (Milan) 45 points

The 1989 Golden Ball podium
Marco Van Basten (Milan) 119 points
Franco Baresi (Milan) 80 points
Frank Rijkaard (Milan) 43 points

The 1992 Golden Ball podium
Marco Van Basten (Milan) 98 points
Hristo Stoichkov (Barcelona) 80 points
Dennis Bergkamp (Ajax) 53 points

gaizka22

Apprentice father
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
van Basten, Maldini, Zidane, Baresi, Maradona, Boban, Baggio, Matthaus, Costacurta
One thing that I like to comment is the fact that for 2 consecutive years Milan filled the top 3 positions for the candidate of the Balon d'Or. We must remind people about this since they've been raving about Barca trio (Messi, Xavi and Iniesta) getting the top 3 spot this year (deservedly so, some might argue). What's even more impressive for me was in 89 wherein Milan had a striker, midfielder and a defender in the 3 positions. Simply showed how great we were in all lines :proud:

BTW, been 'cooking' something for this MvB thread. Work, motivation and time permitted, hope to finish it in the next 2 weeks.

Sod-Lod

Milanese Dominator
Reaction score
One thing that I like to comment is the fact that for 2 consecutive years Milan filled the top 3 positions for the candidate of the Balon d'Or. We must remind people about this since they've been raving about Barca trio (Messi, Xavi and Iniesta) getting the top 3 spot this year (deservedly so, some might argue). What's even more impressive for me was in 89 wherein Milan had a striker, midfielder and a defender in the 3 positions. Simply showed how great we were in all lines :proud:

BTW, been 'cooking' something for this MvB thread. Work, motivation and time permitted, hope to finish it in the next 2 weeks.

Waiting for it, impress us again :)

Sod-Lod

Milanese Dominator
Reaction score
Wednesday 15 December, 2010 Van Basten sees Ibra likeness

Marco Van Basten admits that 'every now and again' he sees a bit of himself in Milan striker Zlatan Ibrahimovic.

Yesterday Van Basten's former Coach Arrigo Sacchi told La Gazzetta dello Sport that he feels Ibrahimovic is worth just as much to this current Milan side as he was to the club in the late `80s and early `90s.

Ibrahimovic has scored 13 goals in 21 appearances this season, but his willingness to sacrifice himself for the team has been remarkable.

He is a good player,” Van Basten told La Gazzetta dello Sport. “But he goes about his life and I go about mine. He is an important player for Milan and I hope for him and for the club that it all goes in the best way possible and they have a lot of success.

“Comparisons right now seem a little out of place. Milan are doing great things, but it doesn't seem to me that they are playing great football.

“For the moment it seems that they are worrying above all about winning games and it's right this way. Then once the results are consolidated, they will think about playing better.

“Every now and again I see myself again in Ibrahimovic above all in terms of physique. Ibrahimovic has a formidable power, but also good technique. But I keep thinking that comparing two players from different ages is difficult and rather useless.

fertygo

Battering Striker
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Sheva, Bierhoff, Pippo Inzaghi, Eto'o, Nedved.
Can't stop watching this.

Absolute Legend. No Magic, no trick, no samba/tango/jaipong or whatever, just football goodness.

Last edited:

IL-Capitano

Legenda di AC Milan
Reaction score
Fav. Players
too many great players to list but if pushed all time favorite player: Maldini
Can't stop watching this.

Absolute Legend. No Magic, no trick, no samba/tango/jaipong or whatever, just football goodness.

So many amazing memories i remember watching Milan games in complete awe of Marco Van Basten and Marco's farewell brought a tear to my eye it was such a tragic end to an unbelievable players career :cry:

Milanista_7

#UCLDNA
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Nesta, T.Silva, Kaka, Ronaldinho, Seedorf, Gattuso, Ibra, Romagnoli
Van Basten: "I could never coach Inter Milan, would be treason"

Interviewed exclusively by Alessandro Alciato for Sky Sport 24, Marco van Basten, AC Milan and former glory of Dutch football, has made some statements to comment on certain issues concerning the Rossoneri.

In particular, it discusses the similarities with Zlatan Ibrahimovic, a man more for the Rossoneri until now, "Surely we are alike in something. He is perhaps bigger, more physical, but I can say I was fine ... but he has incredible physical qualities and a strong throw, is crucial for his team. Maybe I was playing in a Milan stronger in the sense that the automatisms were already tested, while in Milan you have to give her a truly great pains to drag the team. "

There is also talk of new signing Cassano: "Cassano is a very strong player with great quality. Its outputs? This is also very important, must be able to control himself. It 'a kind of gratitude towards the environment and the fans should be able to control himself and be an example, or at least try. "

Finally, looking back, we return to Milan on quell'accostamento that had fans dreaming of the 'devil': "There was this voice, never a contact, but I had an ankle injury and I could not. If you train Inter? No, I could not ... not because I have something against Inter, but because between Inter Milan and is a sensitive issue between these two teams. If it would be treason? In my case, yes, because I have been so many years in Milan and goes with everything. Leonardo but it was not for so long played at Milan and then is gone, so it's a different qestione .... "[/B]

Van Basten he is a real Milanista :proud:

damn

keyboard Sacchi
Reaction score
he hasnt played for us for almost 20 years yet milan is still in his heart.
see leo thats how its done, van basten would refuse inter after 20 years yet you couldn't after 6 month's
lets fire allegi and get van basten in now:D
________
Csi: Miami Dicussion

Last edited:

Susan

Sempre Milan
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Paolo Maldini, Sandro Nesta, Thiago Silva, Pippo, Ibra, Kaka

so true, Van Basten still has Milan in his heart, he's a true Rossonero :proud:

That's how you talk and act, Marco is great, Leo should look up at him, a true Milanista doesn't betray Milan.

Jasper

Maldini tier
Reaction score
Fav. Players
My Favourite Footballer…Marco van Basten

van-basten.jpg

by Brent Atema

There have been better players than Marco van Basten, Diego Maradona and Pelé to name but two. There are even Dutchmen that could be considered better than van Basten, such as Johan Cruyff and Ruud Gullit, and better goal scorers such as Ronaldo and Gerd Müller. However, no one made scoring goals look as effortless and smooth as San Marco. He was “The Big Easy” long before Ernie Els earned that title with his fluid golf swing.

So why do I love Marco van Basten? Because he displayed as wide an array of talents as any footballer I have ever seen, and did it in the most graceful and efficient way. He was a pure goal scorer who made everything look easy. Van Basten scored 152 goals in 172 matches for Ajax, with 80 of those goals coming in his last 72 games. In 1987 he moved to AC Milan, where he scored 124 goals in 201 matches.

“He could score goals in every possible way — spectacular goals, tap-ins, individual goals,” said former Milan teammate, Demetrio Albertini. “He was a complete footballer.”

There is no better example of that than the 1988 European Championships, a tournament that not only showcases his talents, but epitomizes exactly what van Basten’s game was all about. He was much more of a footballer than just a goal scorer. He had quickness, ability in the air, a good shot with both feet, natural instinct for the game and an uncontrollable desire to win — all of which he revealed to the world during the tournament.

Van Basten, having been out for the previous six months following ankle surgery, started the first match on the bench, a loss to the Soviet Union. From then on, the 1988 Euros became the Marco van Basten Show — a show that started with a bang in the next match against England. In a must-win match for the Dutch, van Basten scored a hat trick to eliminate England from the tournament. The Dutch eventually made it to the semi finals to face the hosts and old rivals, West Germany. Van Basten scored the winner with just two minutes remaining. That goal led the Dutch to the finals and paved the way to the most memorable Marco van Basten moment there has ever been.

Truly great players always have that one career-defining moment, and van Basten had such a moment in the 1988 European Championship Finals against the Soviet Union. His right-footed volley from a ridiculous angle made it 2-0 to the Dutch, and went down as one of the most beautiful, most spectacular goals I have ever seen.

Unfortunately, another reason I love Marco van Basten is because I truly wonder how great he could have been if his career had not ended prematurely. Shortly after winning his third European Ballon d’or and being named World Footballer of the Year for 1992 by both FIFA and World Soccer Magazine, van Basten’s career would come to an early end. The ankle injury that kept him out for six months in 1988 finally defeated San Marco. Van Basten appeared in the 1993 Champions League final against Olympique de Marseille, but was nowhere near the player he had been. His career was over at only 28 years old. Despite having a limited career, van Basten is still regarded as not just one of the top strikers in history, but one of greatest footballers of all time.

“He was the most beautiful striker I’ve ever seen. He had an incredible elegance about him. He could do anything with the ball.” — former AC Milan teammate Mauro Tossatti.

Read more from Brent on his blog, Global Football Today, and follow him on Twitter @GlobalFoot2Day.

BrasilianMilan

Eternal Rossonero
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Sheva, Maldini, Kaka, Nesta, Seedorf, Romagnoli, Paqueta, Piatek

Interviewed exclusively by Alessandro Alciato for Sky Sport 24, Marco van Basten, AC Milan and former glory of Dutch football, has made some statements to comment on certain issues concerning the Rossoneri.

In particular, it discusses the similarities with Zlatan Ibrahimovic, a man more for the Rossoneri until now, "Surely we are alike in something. He is perhaps bigger, more physical, but I can say I was fine ... but he has incredible physical qualities and a strong throw, is crucial for his team. Maybe I was playing in a Milan stronger in the sense that the automatisms were already tested, while in Milan you have to give her a truly great pains to drag the team. "

There is also talk of new signing Cassano: "Cassano is a very strong player with great quality. Its outputs? This is also very important, must be able to control himself. It 'a kind of gratitude towards the environment and the fans should be able to control himself and be an example, or at least try. "

Finally, looking back, we return to Milan on quell'accostamento that had fans dreaming of the 'devil': "There was this voice, never a contact, but I had an ankle injury and I could not. If you train Inter? No, I could not ... not because I have something against Inter, but because between Inter Milan and is a sensitive issue between these two teams. If it would be treason? In my case, yes, because I have been so many years in Milan and goes with everything. Leonardo but it was not for so long played at Milan and then is gone, so it's a different qestione .... "[/B]

Such words were never spoken so truely before - Van Basten is another fav Milan player (as you can see on my fav players). This man is a Dutch Legend, and also Milanista for life!:proud:

Schedule