Zinedine Zidane Thread

Mion-Moura

Team Neymar
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Neymar Casemiro Oscar Danilo CGrenier ReneeWalker JRodriguez LMoura Matic LAdriano AWitsel Marquinhs
Brazil destroyer

this channel R9godmagic님의 채널 :thumbsup:

vB9

Man with a Plan
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Schmeichel, Maldini, Maradona and ME
Pele says Zinedine Zidane was a better player than Lionel Messi when he was at his peak but revealed he would vote for the Barcelona star ahead of Cristiano Ronaldo to win the Ballon d'Or.

Zidane lifted the World Cup and European Championship with France during his playing days as well as the Champions League and then the Ballon d'Or with Real Madrid.

Messi has been widely-heralded as arguably the greatest player of all-time having won the Ballon d'Or a record four times, but Brazil legend Pele does not share that same point of view.

He told reporters: "Individually, I think Zidane was better than Messi. Zidane was amazing and the team-mates he played with were not the same standard as Messi’s; he plays with Xavi and Iniesta at Barcelona."

BS! At the time they were sum of the best players on the planet. Pele can be suck a dick.

Christian

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Costacurta, Seedorf, Albertini, Inzaghi, SES, Montolivo etc.
Zidane's so overrated... Prefer Rui :o

Also, he should be compared to Iniesta instead of Messi... Imo Iniesta is better, Zidane was terrible at chosing clubs

Last edited:

Soldier_of_god

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
cr7, Kaka, sheva, zidane, pastore , zlatan ibra,T.silva, jovetic, Arjen robben, drogba, suarez
iniesta vs zidane, thats actually a very good comparison, both have won everythimg there is to win, but zidane has won the ballon dor

leaf

Sack Pioli
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Ronaldo, Kaká, Maldini, Nesta, CR7, Seedorf, Dwight Yorke, Quaresma
Kids these days :fp:
Rui Costa? :fp:
Iniesta? :fp:

Have you guys actually SEEN Zidane? :fp:

Soldier_of_god

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
cr7, Kaka, sheva, zidane, pastore , zlatan ibra,T.silva, jovetic, Arjen robben, drogba, suarez
? iniesta has won the world cup, euros back to back, 2 ucls, 4 la ligas. zidane Is better I agree but the comparison isnt as one sided as u make it out to be. rui is so overrated though for sure

Christian

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Kids these days :fp:
Rui Costa? :fp:
Iniesta? :fp:

Have you guys actually SEEN Zidane? :fp:

Yes, have you?

When he was best him, Figo and Rivaldo were seen as being fairly equal; he was compared to those guys, not Maradona, Cruyff or Pele. And when fat-Ronaldo wasn't injured everyone agreed that he was a level or two above Zidane,Figo and Rivaldo; I don't think he was ever the undisputed best in the world.

After WC2006 people started having a completed rose-tinted view of him as a player and started listing him as one of the absolute best players ever which he totally wasn't. Especially WC98 got revised too the narative that Zidane carreid France to through the tournament, which is bullshit. Ronaldo was the best player in that tournament, and aside from the final Zidane didn't even play that well...

Last edited:

Christian

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
:lol: such BS.... typical denmark.

And you honostly say that Zidane is in the same class as Messi and Maradona? With a straight face? Or as straight as you can make that mug of yours?

Congo Powers

⭐⭐
Reaction score
Fav. Players
B&G, RuiCosta, Pippo, Sheva, Stam, Kaka, Abbiati, Cassano, Mexes, TH19, RL10, KPB, 45, Krunic
totti>zidane

crazy4milan

Exotic Stevie G
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini,Weah,Nesta,Dida
Actually his performance in the wc 98 WAS already exaggerated by 1998 itself. He was suspended for 2 and a half games, first game they played vs an average South Africa, he did shit vs Italy and was meh vs Croatia.

I also believe his 06 performance was pretty overrated, the ones that saved his ass were Vieira and Thuram who put on a performance in the last group stage game where he was suspended, and which qualified France to the next round. He was so so vs Spain, but the goal was cool, specially cause Spanish media made comments about retiring him. He was out of this world vs Brazil (which is what everyone remembers), and average in the remaining two games, ffs, he got himself send off for something so dumb in the final (even if we all would have wanted to head butt Materazzi, there's a moment and a place, a hard intense WC Final is not the moment), he ended up fucking his team over.

But Zidane was amazing in the Euro 2000, one of the best performances I've seen from a player. And was amazing with Juventus. Overrated with RM, or maybe not his fault, but he was put in a team with so little balance it exposed him so much, well his first season with Madrid was great too to be fair (surprise surprise, Madrid had a balanced team then), obviously though he looked flashier in La Liga than in Serie A.

I dunno. I go back and forth on this. Around 2006 I was convinced he deserved his place in the top 5 ever, looking back, I'm not all that sure anymore. I do think he was better than Rui, but regardless of anything, he is one of the greatest ever, maybe not top 5, but that ends up being pretty subjective.

MilanMB

Serendipity
Reaction score
And you honostly say that Zidane is in the same class as Messi and Maradona? With a straight face? Or as straight as you can make that mug of yours?

Hell yes he's in the same class as them, what kind of a question is this? :fp::lol: I won't go in a debate about who's better than who... but he's definitely in the same category of players.

Few people in the history of football have been able to have Zidane's impact on a game when he's at his best.

massaro

primetime
Reaction score
Fav. Players
seedorf pato nesta maldini

how old are you zidane definetly belongs this is insane

leaf

Sack Pioli
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Ronaldo, Kaká, Maldini, Nesta, CR7, Seedorf, Dwight Yorke, Quaresma
@ Christian:
I agree that zz's influence in WC98 was exaggerated
But, you know, history is written by the winners
In 98 R9 was the best IMHO but he undid everything by the shit final performance which zz was a monster for

Similarly R9 was merely a great goal scorer for '02. Rivaldo was better but Ron scored in the finals and got to the record.

The same for '06 where zz was CLEARLY the best but Canna got it.

I think zz and R9 took turns at who was going to be the best in the world :D

Christian

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Hell yes he's in the same class as them, what kind of a question is this? :fp::lol: I won't go in a debate about who's better than who... but he's definitely in the same category of players.

Few people in the history of football have been able to have Zidane's impact on a game when he's at his best.

You're a revisionist and a Swede, not sure whats worse...

@ Christian:
In 98 R9 was the best IMHO but he undid everything by the shit final performance which zz was a monster for

Similarly R9 was merely a great goal scorer for '02. Rivaldo was better but Ron scored in the finals and got to the record.

The same for '06 where zz was CLEARLY the best but Canna got it.

I think zz and R9 took turns at who was going to be the best in the world :D

Ronaldo was waaaaaaaaaaaaaay better than Zidane pre-injury, and that was both players suposed prime. After Ronaldo got injured Zidane was in the same category as Figo and Rivaldo

Last edited:

Sven

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Football and specially football fandom is (still?) like medieval fairy tales about great deeds and great characters or something. Numbers have little to do with it.

Zidane would play big games and be a genius in many of them. Billions of people watch a WC game specially finals... Even CL just started scratching that kind of audience. That's the kind of thing that build legends over players, like it did to Maradona or Pele.

Senatore_M84

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Clarence Clyde Seedorf
@ Christian:

yeah. It should be noted 97-99 was zidane's best club form, where he was a monster.

Really 96-02.

which makes sense.. he was 24-30

Senatore_M84

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Clarence Clyde Seedorf
AOverrated with RM, or maybe not his fault, but he was put in a team with so little balance it exposed him so much, well his first season with Madrid was great too to be fair (surprise surprise, Madrid had a balanced team then), obviously though he looked flashier in La Liga than in Serie A.

He was aging. After his first madrid year, he wasn't very consistent due to age and team lacking any balance.

But yah, i mean it's not really surprising an AM feels age when his legs slow down

crazy4milan

Exotic Stevie G
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini,Weah,Nesta,Dida
He was aging. After his first madrid year, he wasn't very consistent due to age and team lacking any balance.

But yah, i mean it's not really surprising an AM feels age when his legs slow down

Yeah, that was obvious. I still feel that post first year at Madrid his contribution was pretty overrated.

One thing to really admire though, how he gracefully accepted his baldness.

Sven

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

remember this goal?

crazy4milan

Exotic Stevie G
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini,Weah,Nesta,Dida

remember this goal?

That was a thing of beauty. Whole play is great, and the finishing is iconic. Like you said, "football is like medieval fairy tales about great deeds and great characters", its a lot down to timming of doing iconic things, and Zidane had a great timming at it. Doesn't mean he wasn't great overall, but his most memorable/iconic moments came when all cameras of the world were on him, which makes his legend status bigger than others that might've been on his same level at the time.

MilanMB

Serendipity
Reaction score
You're a revisionist and a Swede, not sure whats worse...

revisionist? :lol:

yeah, zidane flew right under the radar during his career. look who's talking about being a revisionist.

Messi and Ronaldo, although FANTASTIC players, "fool" many people in thinking they're the greatest ever by the number of goals they score. Goals aren't everything. Where does players like Maldini and Nesta fit into this for example?

Sven

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
That was a thing of beauty. Whole play is great, and the finishing is iconic. Like you said, "football is like medieval fairy tales about great deeds and great characters", its a lot down to timming of doing iconic things, and Zidane had a great timming at it. Doesn't mean he wasn't great overall, but his most memorable/iconic moments came when all cameras of the world were on him, which makes his legend status bigger than others that might've been on his same level at the time.

That's a discussion I've had many times about the whole Pelé X Maradona

Goodfella

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Actually his performance in the wc 98 WAS already exaggerated by 1998 itself. He was suspended for 2 and a half games, first game they played vs an average South Africa, he did shit vs Italy and was meh vs Croatia.

I also believe his 06 performance was pretty overrated, the ones that saved his ass were Vieira and Thuram who put on a performance in the last group stage game where he was suspended, and which qualified France to the next round. He was so so vs Spain, but the goal was cool, specially cause Spanish media made comments about retiring him. He was out of this world vs Brazil (which is what everyone remembers), and average in the remaining two games, ffs, he got himself send off for something so dumb in the final (even if we all would have wanted to head butt Materazzi, there's a moment and a place, a hard intense WC Final is not the moment), he ended up fucking his team over.

But Zidane was amazing in the Euro 2000, one of the best performances I've seen from a player. And was amazing with Juventus. Overrated with RM, or maybe not his fault, but he was put in a team with so little balance it exposed him so much, well his first season with Madrid was great too to be fair (surprise surprise, Madrid had a balanced team then), obviously though he looked flashier in La Liga than in Serie A.

I dunno. I go back and forth on this. Around 2006 I was convinced he deserved his place in the top 5 ever, looking back, I'm not all that sure anymore. I do think he was better than Rui, but regardless of anything, he is one of the greatest ever, maybe not top 5, but that ends up being pretty subjective.

Agree with pretty much all of this...except headbutting Materazzi since he's very likable.

Zidane - great player, but overrated WC 98 and 06 performances and not the most consistent player(among the greats).

Pharaoh

Banned
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Stephan-El-Shaarawy, Balotelli, Ronaldo(CR7), Kaka, and Buffon
revisionist? :lol:

yeah, zidane flew right under the radar during his career. look who's talking about being a revisionist.

Messi and Ronaldo, although FANTASTIC players, "fool" many people in thinking they're the greatest ever by the number of goals they score. Goals aren't everything. Where does players like Maldini and Nesta fit into this for example?

Strikers will forever have more impact in football than mids and especially defenders. Look at the value of players in the game right now. The higher the value,the more likely its a striker. Look at record transfers,they were for strikers or goal scorers. Kaka,ronaldo etc.

When people think about best players ever,guarantee you there top 5 will be strikers/goal scorers of some sort.

Massaro94

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maradona-Shevchenko-Zizou
STAGIONE 1995/96
Stadio San Siro - 05.03.1996
Andata Quarti di Finale - Coppa Uefa
MILAN -BORDEAUX 2 - 0

Nella foto, un momento del match, con Patrick Vieira e Paolo Maldini in pressing su Zinedine Zidane. La partita finir? con la vittoria del Milan per 2-0, grazie ai gol di Eranio e Baggio, ma grazie al 3-0 del ritorno, a passare saranno i francesi. Sempre e solo su www.magliarossonera.it. ORGOGLIO CASCIAVIT!

10854356_10153177640999929_7293470533345794173_o.jpg

Massaro94

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maradona-Shevchenko-Zizou
"Give me 10 pieces of wood and Zinedine Zidane and I'll win the Champions League." - Sir Alex Ferguson.

10922634_1479251452115066_8564058433062048389_n.jpg