Leonardo Thread

Jasper

Maldini tier
Reaction score
Fav. Players
3; Marat Safin; Tiziano Crudeli; 2Pac; Christian Bale; Martin M??rsepp; Balotelli.
DERBY: WHAT AN EMOTION!
8/28/2009 6:33:00 PM
Today coach Leonardo held a long press conference in which he talked mainly about the derby, briefly touching on the subject of the Champions League draw.

MILANELLO - The start of the press conference, a few hours after the Montecarlo draw, could only have been about the destiny that pitted Milan against Kaká. Leonardo answered, but also emphasized that the most important and imminent appointment is the derby: "It will be a great emotion, against Real Madrid in the Champions League. We'll play against a team who have spent a lot, but we can't lose sight of the other teams: Marseille are growing and they're a team who can do well in the Champions League, then Zurich which is a team we know... Now, though, it's better to think about the derby."

Quickly closing the European topic it was time to talk about the next opponents, Inter: "It's a derby that comes very soon, I think it's the first time it's on the second matchday. The concentration doesn't change, because it's a special match in itself. We are confident about the match after what we've been doing recently. We've been working well, and now we face the team who have won in the last four years, so we can't lack motivation.
Victories are a consequence of many things. We are growing and you can see it on the pitch. I think that the way we are doing things now will bring good results. That should be our basis."

On the Nerazzurri formation Leonardo said: "Inter have more certainties, they're coming off years of supremacy in the league. They have based their success on the physical strength. In the last few years we have struggled in Italy and we are trying to restart with another type of football. When you think of a favorite it's normal to think about Inter. I don't think it's a 'poorer' derby, because the derby is the derby and also without Kaká and Ibra it remains a great match. The thing that worries me the most is the system they might play. They really have many possibilities to use their players how they want. They're an unpredictable team. From Zanetti to Santon, from Stankovic to Balotelli... in any case they're all players who may or may not play and play in different roles. I don't think our weak point are the full backs. Our playing system initially was supposed to be different, with three strikers and three midfielders. Then things changed for various reasons and we now have the system most suited to us. We must think about us and our own mechanisms."

The tactical part, in tomorrow's match, will be important and on that Leonardo said: "When Inter and Milan play against each other, aside from preceding results or the form or the arrival of a player, anything can happen. I don't say it to be diplomatic. I don't know how they might play, they have many solutions available. Then Mourinho also often changes during a match. He tries many solutions within the 90 minutes. They have many alternatives and the important thing is to know they could use them."

"If I said I haven't thought that tomorrow I could be 5 points clear I would lie. But it would still be early. In Italy consistency is too important, tomorrow is just one stop in a very long journey. In this aspect it becomes important to win without playing well in today's football.
Inter are changing their skin, also because until last year they had a player like Ibra who often allowed them to skip the midfield. Now they are changing this attitude. From our part I think Milan have always had the mentality of an elegant team, capable of playing the ball around and that should always be our philosophy."

After everything that's been written and said, it was inevitable to talk about the relationship with president Berlusconi: "With the president we talk about everything. He's often with us, if he's not here I talk to him on the phone. On Ronaldinho I can say he has tried all these roles, Pato has to grow as a first striker, but he can do it. I think the basis, in agreement with him, is that of two strikers. Then there are some matches and moments where you can try other solutions. If I'm here it's because everyone knows everything. I think it's normal to talk about what he thinks, because he's a public person. He says certain things thinking everyone is always at 100%, but then I make my own evaluations day by day. I've asked him to be as close as possible, because I think it's important. There's nothing new in what the president said, either about the various roles of the players or the new arrivals, and we've talked about it for hours on the phone. They are not new things, because both I and the team know the things that were said. I don't believe everything that's written in the papers, because I only trust what I hear with my own ears. His words on Kaká, concerning that he didn't invent football? I don't think they're true, because I know he has great esteem of him."

On his profession of coach, he said: "The most difficult part is to make choices, especially when you see the effort everyone puts in, and that they're doing well. The important thing, what I look for, is to have the right answers from the players. I try to establish sincerity in the relationships. Even though I know that sometimes I will not be understood. I think direct and sincere relationships are fundamental.
Organisation, attention, and concentration are the characteristics I want to see like at Siena. It was a positive match, but now we play at home, the derby, against our own public... we need something more.
The transfer market is over. We are past that, we must think about playing and doing well. Evaluate what the team can do now, with these elements."

"I want to add that I always have my doubts on everything. In each moment of the day I try to understand something from the people around me. There's always 90% certainties and 10% to change. It's also a way to grow."

"The initial reading of the league can change in time. We are talking about one matchday. Later it can happen that favorites are no longer in the race, while teams who aren't considered strong now can grow and become favorites."

The coach dedicated a separate chapter to Paolo Maldini, who will be in the stadium tomorrow in the dressing rooms: "We don't need to find a place for Maldini. He has a place when and wherever he wants. If I had him at my side I would be honored. He, like Baresi, can't not have a place in the club. They are Milan's history."

Before ending, Leonardo talked about three players in particular, Ronaldinho, Huntelaar, and Flamini: "Ronaldinho has trained well the whole week. Not just him, but the whole team. Both physically and tactically. Huntelaar was unable to play in Siena because of the suspension. He's a player with important technique, intelligent, linear, objective. He has incredible power and precision. Near the goal he is really strong.
Flamini has already played as a full back, he can do it again. He has physical and athletic characteristics that allow him to do it. Certainly, not on the whole wing. Today he's doing very well, he had a great preparation, a fine match at Siena and I'm very happy."

http://www.acmilan.com/NewsDetail.aspx?idNews=89581

A hint?

ReBorned

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Il Capitano!
DERBY: WHAT AN EMOTION!
8/28/2009 6:33:00 PM
Today coach Leonardo held a long press conference in which he talked mainly about the derby, briefly touching on the subject of the Champions League draw.

MILANELLO - The start of the press conference, a few hours after the Montecarlo draw, could only have been about the destiny that pitted Milan against Kaká. Leonardo answered, but also emphasized that the most important and imminent appointment is the derby: "It will be a great emotion, against Real Madrid in the Champions League. We'll play against a team who have spent a lot, but we can't lose sight of the other teams: Marseille are growing and they're a team who can do well in the Champions League, then Zurich which is a team we know... Now, though, it's better to think about the derby."

Quickly closing the European topic it was time to talk about the next opponents, Inter: "It's a derby that comes very soon, I think it's the first time it's on the second matchday. The concentration doesn't change, because it's a special match in itself. We are confident about the match after what we've been doing recently. We've been working well, and now we face the team who have won in the last four years, so we can't lack motivation.
Victories are a consequence of many things. We are growing and you can see it on the pitch. I think that the way we are doing things now will bring good results. That should be our basis."

On the Nerazzurri formation Leonardo said: "Inter have more certainties, they're coming off years of supremacy in the league. They have based their success on the physical strength. In the last few years we have struggled in Italy and we are trying to restart with another type of football. When you think of a favorite it's normal to think about Inter. I don't think it's a 'poorer' derby, because the derby is the derby and also without Kaká and Ibra it remains a great match. The thing that worries me the most is the system they might play. They really have many possibilities to use their players how they want. They're an unpredictable team. From Zanetti to Santon, from Stankovic to Balotelli... in any case they're all players who may or may not play and play in different roles. I don't think our weak point are the full backs. Our playing system initially was supposed to be different, with three strikers and three midfielders. Then things changed for various reasons and we now have the system most suited to us. We must think about us and our own mechanisms."

The tactical part, in tomorrow's match, will be important and on that Leonardo said: "When Inter and Milan play against each other, aside from preceding results or the form or the arrival of a player, anything can happen. I don't say it to be diplomatic. I don't know how they might play, they have many solutions available. Then Mourinho also often changes during a match. He tries many solutions within the 90 minutes. They have many alternatives and the important thing is to know they could use them."

"If I said I haven't thought that tomorrow I could be 5 points clear I would lie. But it would still be early. In Italy consistency is too important, tomorrow is just one stop in a very long journey. In this aspect it becomes important to win without playing well in today's football.
Inter are changing their skin, also because until last year they had a player like Ibra who often allowed them to skip the midfield. Now they are changing this attitude. From our part I think Milan have always had the mentality of an elegant team, capable of playing the ball around and that should always be our philosophy."

After everything that's been written and said, it was inevitable to talk about the relationship with president Berlusconi: "With the president we talk about everything. He's often with us, if he's not here I talk to him on the phone. On Ronaldinho I can say he has tried all these roles, Pato has to grow as a first striker, but he can do it. I think the basis, in agreement with him, is that of two strikers. Then there are some matches and moments where you can try other solutions. If I'm here it's because everyone knows everything. I think it's normal to talk about what he thinks, because he's a public person. He says certain things thinking everyone is always at 100%, but then I make my own evaluations day by day. I've asked him to be as close as possible, because I think it's important. There's nothing new in what the president said, either about the various roles of the players or the new arrivals, and we've talked about it for hours on the phone. They are not new things, because both I and the team know the things that were said. I don't believe everything that's written in the papers, because I only trust what I hear with my own ears. His words on Kaká, concerning that he didn't invent football? I don't think they're true, because I know he has great esteem of him."

On his profession of coach, he said: "The most difficult part is to make choices, especially when you see the effort everyone puts in, and that they're doing well. The important thing, what I look for, is to have the right answers from the players. I try to establish sincerity in the relationships. Even though I know that sometimes I will not be understood. I think direct and sincere relationships are fundamental.
Organisation, attention, and concentration are the characteristics I want to see like at Siena. It was a positive match, but now we play at home, the derby, against our own public... we need something more.
The transfer market is over. We are past that, we must think about playing and doing well. Evaluate what the team can do now, with these elements."

"I want to add that I always have my doubts on everything. In each moment of the day I try to understand something from the people around me. There's always 90% certainties and 10% to change. It's also a way to grow."

"The initial reading of the league can change in time. We are talking about one matchday. Later it can happen that favorites are no longer in the race, while teams who aren't considered strong now can grow and become favorites."

The coach dedicated a separate chapter to Paolo Maldini, who will be in the stadium tomorrow in the dressing rooms: "We don't need to find a place for Maldini. He has a place when and wherever he wants. If I had him at my side I would be honored. He, like Baresi, can't not have a place in the club. They are Milan's history."

Before ending, Leonardo talked about three players in particular, Ronaldinho, Huntelaar, and Flamini: "Ronaldinho has trained well the whole week. Not just him, but the whole team. Both physically and tactically. Huntelaar was unable to play in Siena because of the suspension. He's a player with important technique, intelligent, linear, objective. He has incredible power and precision. Near the goal he is really strong.
Flamini has already played as a full back, he can do it again. He has physical and athletic characteristics that allow him to do it. Certainly, not on the whole wing. Today he's doing very well, he had a great preparation, a fine match at Siena and I'm very happy."

http://www.acmilan.com/NewsDetail.aspx?idNews=89581

A hint?

I was thinking the same when I read that article.... Maybe Flams on LB to be more prepared for Maicon

Australiano1980

Empire of Brazil
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Van Basten, Savicevic, Gullit, Maldini, Romario, Zidane, Suker, Litmanen, Redondo
I like this new way of Milan play too.
Without that run of Kaka, bring the team with him.. now is more a calm thing exchanging passes and looking for holes in the opponents defense.. will work against little teams.. now, against Juve, Roma, Lazio, Fio.. God save us.

Revolution

Io Ci Credo
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Baresi, Maldini, Pirlo, De Rossi, Pjanic, Schweini, Prince, Abate
so Leo really pissed me off just now, i was reading his declarations about the match and he used the excuse "seedorf wasn't ready"

when gattuso went down it was pretty clear he was injured, he was limping too, so right then you Leo really should've started warming up seedorf

and then when gattuso went down and the medics had to come out, right then, that second, seedorf or whoever should have been up and warming up

though I guess you can argue that at the same time it's gattuso's fault for not coming out and playing on a hurt ankle, now he made it worse and will have to be out longer

GreatKalu

I still believe!
Reaction score
Ah ... I just see Sneijder starting and making an impact. Robben doing the same. Does Leo have no confidence in Huntelaar?

Senatore_M84

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Clarence Clyde Seedorf
Ah ... I just see Sneijder starting and making an impact. Robben doing the same. Does Leo have no confidence in Huntelaar?

sneijder- capable of making an impact
robben- capable of making an impact
huntelaar- capable of playing guitar for fall out boy

Edi

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini,Nesta,Kaka,
He took a real beating yesterday but Im sure he will bounce back. Every coach gets hammered at some point so this will just make him stronger.

Forza Milan!

ReBorned

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Il Capitano!
This is so stupid! Everybody speak against Leo and why I see just 6 posts on the Gatusso thread?! If you want someone to blame for this game, you have mainly 2 people! Gatuso and Jankulovski! And if you go like that Dinho also was shit, Pirlo etc... but for the result mainly are Janko and especially Rino to blame! Double standards? We all love Rino and now we will hide his responsibilities behind blaming Leo? Damn Seedorf was on the sidelines, Leo talks to him how to play... they just waited for break to come in! What Rino did was something that even 10 year boy wouldn't do! Incredibly stupid and incredibly immature and most of all incredibly unfair for his teammates and something that I believe no captain in the world will do!
If I was Leo when he will be back from injury (and suspension) I will forget him on the bench for 10+ games!
He goes to the showers after 35 minutes and he leaves teammates to struggle for half a game! :head:

Pedro

iedereen is gek
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Paolo Maldini & Marc-André ter Stegen

Both Robben and Sneijder started, while Huntelaar has been way longer here. It's 100 procent bullshit to don't start him. Just like it's bullshit we had no new fullback to start against Inter. The men who are responsible for AC Milan's performance have let us down! They better change that these days before it's too late for this season!

I am not content! :mad:

amar_no

Beginner
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini
This is so stupid! Everybody speak against Leo and why I see just 6 posts on the Gatusso thread?! If you want someone to blame for this game, you have mainly 2 people! Gatuso and Jankulovski! And if you go like that Dinho also was shit, Pirlo etc... but for the result mainly are Janko and especially Rino to blame! Double standards? We all love Rino and now we will hide his responsibilities behind blaming Leo? Damn Seedorf was on the sidelines, Leo talks to him how to play... they just waited for break to come in! What Rino did was something that even 10 year boy wouldn't do! Incredibly stupid and incredibly immature and most of all incredibly unfair for his teammates and something that I believe no captain in the world will do!
If I was Leo when he will be back from injury (and suspension) I will forget him on the bench for 10+ games!
He goes to the showers after 35 minutes and he leaves teammates to struggle for half a game! :head:

But it's not Gattuso's fault... He's too stupid and for guy like him it's impossible to think.

Noyon9s

Super Pippo <3
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Sheva, Kaka, Maldini, Pirlo, Super Pippo
Leo: 'We're not the worst team'

Leonardo insists the derby humiliation is not the end of Milan’s dreams. “We’re not the worst team in the world.”

Last night’s game was meant to boost confidence for a Scudetto push, but instead the 4-0 thrashing at the hands of local rivals Inter raised many more questions.

“It’s true that a win here would’ve improved our self-belief, but this defeat does not stunt our growth as a team,” commented the Coach.

“We cannot make calculations now, nor define exactly what Milan are. In two games we have done both positive and negative things.

“This is a heavy blow, but we are not the worst team in the world.”

Leonardo complained repeatedly that he needed reinforcements for the full-back positions after Inter tore Gianluca Zambrotta and Marek Jankulovski to shreds, but he and the fans will be left disappointed.

We had a very long talk with the directors and I don’t think we’ll be buying anyone. Now is the time to react. We must prove quickly who we are and what Milan represents. I expect the best.”

President Silvio Berlusconi had hailed the Rossoneri as Scudetto contenders and was in no mood for comment after the game.

“What can I possibly say after conceding four goals?”

CH4

Time to riot :mad:

JUANES

BARCA HATER
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Crespo, Sheva, Gila, Kaká, Pippo, ballack, webó, tejada and myself

Leonardo insists the derby humiliation is not the end of Milan’s dreams. “We’re not the worst team in the world.”

Last night’s game was meant to boost confidence for a Scudetto push, but instead the 4-0 thrashing at the hands of local rivals Inter raised many more questions.

“It’s true that a win here would’ve improved our self-belief, but this defeat does not stunt our growth as a team,” commented the Coach.

“We cannot make calculations now, nor define exactly what Milan are. In two games we have done both positive and negative things.

Leonardo complained repeatedly that he needed reinforcements for the full-back positions after Inter tore Gianluca Zambrotta and Marek Jankulovski to shreds, but he and the fans will be left disappointed.

We had a very long talk with the directors and I don’t think we’ll be buying anyone. Now is the time to react. We must prove quickly who we are and what Milan represents. I expect the best.”

President Silvio Berlusconi had hailed the Rossoneri as Scudetto contenders and was in no mood for comment after the game.

CH4

so a inter trashing by 4 goals won't even wake up the bastards?

what else do they need? an 8-0 trashing by the real merdas with kaka scoring a hat trick?

no we don't need anybody, we just need somebody assholes.

forza milan

Pedro

iedereen is gek
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Paolo Maldini & Marc-André ter Stegen

CH4

A veeeery long talk? Damn, those cheap bastards tried everything to convince Leonardo to shut up about new players...

So we lost 4-0 to Inter, and we don't even get new players which we already needed?

jajajlaalajaljaljalaja, I am getting insane !

Billsyboy1986

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Baresi, Maldini, Nesta, Van Basten, Ronaldo (R9)
But it's not Gattuso's fault... He's too stupid and for guy like him it's impossible to think.

That's a really stupid post. Does that now mean it's impossible for you to think also?

Az.

Se7en
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini,Shevchenko, Rui Costa, Gattuso, Pippo, Nesta, Ambrosini,Seedorf, Billy,Kaka,Beckham,Zlatan
Conspiracy theory :

Are the players digging Leo a hole on purpose ?First it was Ambrosini againts siena telling Leo to fuck off and now Gattuso ..both who are captains ...:conf:

Senatore_M84

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Clarence Clyde Seedorf
Conspiracy theory :

Are the players digging Leo a hole on purpose ?First it was Ambrosini againts siena telling Leo to fuck off and now Gattuso ..both who are captains ...:conf:

when did he do that?

Az.

Se7en
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini,Shevchenko, Rui Costa, Gattuso, Pippo, Nesta, Ambrosini,Seedorf, Billy,Kaka,Beckham,Zlatan

Buske

Milan Legend
Reaction score
U heard it?...or u trust anything u read :head:

saby

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
i absolutely can't believe this. after that painfully abysmal massacre the directors still aren't willing to buy reinforcements. this is so ridiculous. i can't understand it at all. wtf are they thinking? that we'll magically become great again with players who've repeatedly shown they are way past their best? they aren't stupid, they must know that we can't seriously compete with this squad, so why aren't they willing to spend on some more reinforcements??? is it that they don't care anymore about our success and are willing to rest on past laurels and wait for this tough period to just pass?
it just doesn't make any sense at all to me, to ruin a team just because of unwillingness to invest or find someone who can. utter crap all over the place.

MaldiniISgod

designated hippy
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Kaka, Nesta
it just doesn't make any sense at all to me, to ruin a team just because of unwillingness to invest or find someone who can. utter crap all over the place.

seriously, i don't get it. yes, owning a football team is expensive. totally understandable that berlu wouldn't want to pony up any more cash, but at least be respectful to the fans and the club and sell it off to someone who is willing to invest to make it great again. no one believes that we are good enough to win anything right now. the old era ended, we need new blood. repeating the same lie over and over again doesn't always make it true.

iluvpippo

Primavera
Reaction score
Fav. Players
PIPPO INZAGHI , nesta , coco , david villa , ambrosini,
Are hundreds of trainers in this world who prooved their abilities...why did Berlusconi choose Leonardo as Milan's coach?

..i don't get it:o

DSM

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Are hundreds of trainers in this world who prooved their abilities...why did Berlusconi choose Leonardo as Milan's coach?

..i don't get it:o

He did something similar with Capello, but not to the same extent.

Leonardo has been dealt aterrible hand & just needs to do as well as can, Berlusconi has left him with one real realistic option & that is to finish in the top 4 & that should be his only aim & if he achieves it he has done brilliantly.

Az.

Se7en
Reaction score
Fav. Players

Senatore_M84

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Clarence Clyde Seedorf
I feel bad for leo.... i want him to succeed (like all coaches here), it is highly unlikely

GreatKalu

I still believe!
Reaction score
Biggest task for Leo now is to get the team back on focus. The season is still very young, and there is still time to get the best out of the team. Notice I didn't say win the Scudetto, but I think this team should easily finish 3rd.

Anyway, hope he's already got things settled and resumed control. He's got to earn his respect this week.

iluvpippo

Primavera
Reaction score
Fav. Players
:proud:well...i think that a team as MILAN should have a coach with results in football's world...because we can't risk to make experiments with a begginer.

KujaIX

Mexes & Muntari fanboy
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Current team
if leo was given what he asked for then i think he could be succesful, but it doesn't help when our owner is fucking scrooge.

if he signed cissokho, then we don't need a LB and we have one for the next 10yrs, we could have signed rafinha or de silvestri, rafinha could have been our RB for the next 10yrs, or de silvestri, not a starter straight away but soon enough he would probably become our RB for the next 10yrs, but classically we were too slow and missed out

KujaIX

Mexes & Muntari fanboy
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Current team
we are only 1 point behind inter and hopefully this result will spur the team on to avenge the inter result and win the league. it's possible.

iluvpippo

Primavera
Reaction score
Fav. Players
it's not about the players...look at Chelsea and Real...they had always the best and the most expensive players but in the last few years they couldn't win Cl.

...a good coach can handle even a mediocre team...and here is not our case,cuz MILAN has some brillant players.