The Cricket Thread

Who's the player of the decade?

• Total voters

radioactivenerd

Gol de Pablitooooo
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Batistuta, Crespo, Aimar, Roberto Carlos, Totti, Ayala, Rui Costa, Nesta, BARAJA
Lasith Malinga with a first-ever-in-the-history-of-cricket four wickets in four balls.
Reduced sth africa from 206/5 to 207/9.
South Africa ended up winning, but if this had been a knockout, South Africa would probably have lost, yet again to something freaky.
I was really hopeful for South Africa before the cup started, but its pretty obvious now that this team just doesnt have it. Anyone that saw the Proteas of old play, with Kirsten, Klusener and Donald couldnt help but appreciate the talent and spirit in the team. I cant see this one going too far, and whether they lose to a freak incident, or are outplayed, my prediction is that they will be out one way or the other.

Lets hope New Zealand can stop the Aussie juggernaut.
Lastly, Sri Lankan bowling is looking mighty impressive. Lasith Malinga has impressed me in every single game hes played in the tournament, and has only gotten better with each game.
Biggest games in this stage: SL Vs Aus; Aus Vs NZ; SA Vs NZ; SL Vs NZ

NobodyCares

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Kaka, Shevchenko, Nesta, Maldini, Seedorf, Pirlo
radioactivenerd said:
Lasith Malinga with a first-ever-in-the-history-of-cricket four wickets in four balls.
Reduced sth africa from 206/5 to 207/9.
South Africa ended up winning, but if this had been a knockout, South Africa would probably have lost, yet again to something freaky.
I was really hopeful for South Africa before the cup started, but its pretty obvious now that this team just doesnt have it. Anyone that saw the Proteas of old play, with Kirsten, Klusener and Donald couldnt help but appreciate the talent and spirit in the team. I cant see this one going too far, and whether they lose to a freak incident, or are outplayed, my prediction is that they will be out one way or the other.

Lets hope New Zealand can stop the Aussie juggernaut.
Lastly, Sri Lankan bowling is looking mighty impressive. Lasith Malinga has impressed me in every single game hes played in the tournament, and has only gotten better with each game.
Ireland Vs Bangladesh
:star: :tongue:

GreatKalu

I still believe!
Reaction score
radioactivenerd said:
Lasith Malinga has impressed me in every single game hes played in the tournament, and has only gotten better with each game.

Well, you forgot to mention how Malinga got hit all round during his 1st + 2nd spells during the inning. Obviously, credit is due for his record-breaking achievement, but I think he owes a lot of that to RSA's chokers. You'd think they'd have learned by now. In any other team, it would've been a freak incident ... but not RSA. They seem keen to make a big deal out of everything. During their innings, I always kept thinking how the Aussies would have attacked + finished SL by the 30th over or so. Simply because there's self belief + confidence which is lacking in this SA side.

So, you think WI isn't big-game material? Haven't watched them play yet.

radioactivenerd

Gol de Pablitooooo
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Batistuta, Crespo, Aimar, Roberto Carlos, Totti, Ayala, Rui Costa, Nesta, BARAJA
madtherchot said:
Well, you forgot to mention how Malinga got hit all round during his 1st + 2nd spells during the inning. Obviously, credit is due for his record-breaking achievement, but I think he owes a lot of that to RSA's chokers. You'd think they'd have learned by now. In any other team, it would've been a freak incident ... but not RSA. They seem keen to make a big deal out of everything. During their innings, I always kept thinking how the Aussies would have attacked + finished SL by the 30th over or so. Simply because there's self belief + confidence which is lacking in this SA side.

So, you think WI isn't big-game material? Haven't watched them play yet.

It bothers me tha SA choked even without pressure on them this time. 5 runs away from a win, and 5 wickets in hand is really no pressure at all, and yet they go and nearly kill it. They will probably make it to the next round, but only because the only teams worthy of moving to the next round are SL, NZ and Aus.
I dont view WI as particularly major threats to any of the aforementioned teams. Historically, the WC has been rather cruel to the home teams, and that aside, this WI side has a very mediocre bowling.
The batting, if clicks will do wonders, but the inconsistency will get them. Every game they win will have to be by batting and scoring 300+. I doubt they have the firepower to kill a decent team off under 200 with their bowling.

I hate to say it, but the WC is tilting towards Aus again.

GreatKalu

I still believe!
Reaction score
I've yet to see NZ, but they've been getting rave reviews from everywhere which must count for something. But as you mentioned earlier, SL have one of the better bowling lineups + they've really improved their fielding which helps the bowlers. Should their batsmen peak at the right moment, they've got a decent shot at upsetting AUS, especially since pitch conditions don't seem to be too different from those found in SL.

As for RSA's chances, they've got adequate time (i.e. unless they pull a shocker *better yet, choker* against Bangla or Ire) to take their plan back to the drawing boards. Pollock's role in the team has to discussed because he's been a target man for the batsmen. As good as their batting lineup is, is Gibbs really a middle order batsman? - especially since he doesn't seem too comfortable against spin. So many technicalities have to be sorted out + practiced in these two upcoming games. It's a crucial period in which they should really work hard at improving themselves and I only hope they don't slack off.

acerвιc wιт

Milano Siamo Noi!
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Paolo Maldini, Thiago Silva, Serginho, Kaká, Gennaro Gattuso, Kevin Prince Boateng & Filippo Inzaghi
NZ will pose the greatest threat against the Aussies so check out that match... you might have a reason to cheer. =)

Note... I said "might" ;)

DonippoKakaShevdini

Santo Baresi
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Der Franco
San Paolo said:
NZ will pose the greatest threat against the Aussies so check out that match... you might have a reason to cheer. =)

Note... I said "might" ;)
I enjoy criquet. I have watched it during this tournament the last 3 editions. Everytime I watch it, the Aussies have dominated, so I enjoy watching their dominating style of play. Its good to be neutral, that way I can pick a team. :D

GreatKalu

I still believe!
Reaction score
^^ Well then, Bangladesh vs Australia should be a good match for you to watch ;)

I'm waiting for SL vs WI ... both have to win so should be a real tight contest + no feelings attached :D

GreatKalu

I still believe!
Reaction score
It's on tomorrow. If I were you, I'd be praying for AUS to bat first ... else the match might be over before lunch ...

radioactivenerd

Gol de Pablitooooo
Reaction score
Fav. Players
New Zealand with a confident thumping win over WI. Id pick SL to beat WI - unless its a do-or-die performance by Lara. On paper and on the field, SL has a much more complete team than WI.

edit: Go Ireland btw!!They seem to be the Senegal of this world cup - not here by luck, played some good classy cricket. Rankin is a good bowler with decent pace and consistency in his line and length. Lets hope they can put one over their bigger, more illustrious neighbours.

Last edited:

acerвιc wιт

Milano Siamo Noi!
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Paolo Maldini, Thiago Silva, Serginho, Kaká, Gennaro Gattuso, Kevin Prince Boateng & Filippo Inzaghi
madtherchot said:
It's on tomorrow. If I were you, I'd be praying for AUS to bat first ... else the match might be over before lunch ...
LOL its funny cos its true... don't ride them off, they've beaten us before.

GreatKalu

I still believe!
Reaction score
radioactivenerd said:
edit: Go Ireland btw!!They seem to be the Senegal of this world cup - not here by luck, played some good classy cricket. Rankin is a good bowler with decent pace and consistency in his line and length. Lets hope they can put one over their bigger, more illustrious neighbours.

He's also only 22 (most of the Irish squad is in their early twenties) + had to leave the field with a cramp with 3 or 4 overs still to ball. Liked the chicken celebration Johnston (their captain) made when he bowled Flintoff :D

Downside is, one more nervy moment in store for the RSA fan ... :rolleyes:

Australia beaten by Bangladesh?! Please enlighten me ... :D

GreatKalu

I still believe!
Reaction score
WI disappointing display in the field is coming to haunt them. Sangakara's aggressive keeping pays off and unbelievably, Vaas gets his first stumping in his career. And to think it was for Lara ... WI's world cup coming to an end. Such a pity.

Passion for *9*

Milan Legend
Reaction score
madtherchot said:
WI disappointing display in the field is coming to haunt them. Sangakara's aggressive keeping pays off and unbelievably, Vaas gets his first stumping in his career. And to think it was for Lara ... WI's world cup coming to an end. Such a pity.
Oh NOOOOOO !!!!! I was rooting for them !!! Are you saying it's hopeless ? I'd even consider praying to 'whom it may concern' again :eek:

Maybe I should try Voodoo ? I have a spare doll.

GreatKalu

I still believe!
Reaction score
Well, I'm afraid it'll take a miracle for them to make it to the semis from this stage ... so pray + pray some more :)

Why is it too late for Voodoo? :D

Really impressed with Sri Lanka's fielding ...

Passion for *9*

Milan Legend
Reaction score
^^^You sounded so dramatic + desperate, that I thought they had already lost all batsmen or it was the 49th over... or sth.

I was sidetracked for a bit... but I'mma gonna poke holes in makeshift Sri Lankans now. It's not too late. Watch it do miracles :D

GreatKalu

I still believe!
Reaction score
Well, nice try ... just when a very little glimmer of hope appeared to have come, Sangakara strikes again. WI now need 159 runs to win from 87 balls. I think poking isn't enough ... ah shit ... another wicket :(

It's not all gloomy + sad though as the commentators + broadcast are cracking me up. :D If you want, its on SopCast channel 11827.

another wicket ... :head:

Passion for *9*

Milan Legend
Reaction score
I don't do the sopcast thingy... but check the BBC live scores from time to time... Damn, I think my voodoo doesn't quite have the desired effect, s.o. is practising counter voodoo here :mad:

:D It's just a game...

GreatKalu

I still believe!
Reaction score
You're missing out ;)

West Indian fans ironically waving their "ITS NOT OVA TIL DA FAT LADY SINGS" banner. Commentators (all retried greats) comment on the rather fit ladies in the stands + the lack of a fat lady. After a bit, the director of broadcast finds an obese lady ... and she's been the focus of these innings so far. :D

Pretty fun stuff IMO to watch ...

GreatKalu

I still believe!
Reaction score
yep ... SL win by 113 runs. Next up for West Indies ... South Africa. Its very depressing that things haven't gone right for them, but, I have to be with the South Africans for this one.

Sri Lanka now look like a genuine contender for top honors ... I'm off to sleep. Need all the energy for RSA's game tomorrow :D

radioactivenerd

Gol de Pablitooooo
Reaction score
Fav. Players
madtherchot said:
yep ... SL win by 113 runs. Next up for West Indies ... South Africa. Its very depressing that things haven't gone right for them, but, I have to be with the South Africans for this one.

Sri Lanka now look like a genuine contender for top honors ... I'm off to sleep. Need all the energy for RSA's game tomorrow :D

Ive gotta agree. This SL side are very very impressive. I thought their batting would be the weak link, as Murali and Malinga would hold up the bowling, but their batting has come through. I still think they would lose if it was a big run chase against decent bowlers, but theyve played some fantastic cricket so far.
They are definitely favs to move to the Semis, along with NZ, Aus and probably SA, and if they get a bit of luck and come up against SA, id back them to be in the finals.

What made Passion suddenly support the Windies??

Lastly, today is Bangladesh Vs NZ. Hopefully another emphatic win for NZ, just so everyone knows B'desh are NOT good enouhg ot reach this stage. The group stage really should have had two games with each team, with a less elaborate round of 8.
regardless of this, this shouldnt be anything to worry about for NZ, and if they bowl first, Bond and co will make sure this game is over within about 3-4 hours.

Passion for *9*

Milan Legend
Reaction score
radioactivenerd said:
What made Passion suddenly support the Windies??.
Supported them from Day One, just didn't make it public :o Thought they were the most exotic underdoggish of the lot, I could be wrong, of course, since I know nothing on international rankings + shit ;)

GreatKalu

I still believe!
Reaction score
^^ You're actually right :D Among the mainstream teams still in the tournament, the West Indies are underdogs since they aren't in form + team attitude/spirit seems lacking. Even though the commentators went on about their decent record last year + 2-3 years ago (beating SL, Australia + the likes) they had to admit the West Indies never really clicked this WC and have looked a shadow of themselves - forget the extraordinary performances which they would have needed to win the WC that the home supporters had been eagerly waiting for ...

They're such a passionate bunch + knowing how friendly :-)devilsmo: ;) ) they are, it's disappointing that they'll soon be out.

radioactivenerd said:
and if they get a bit of luck and come up against SA, id back them to be in the finals.
Yep, after their last game, no question the Sri Lankans will have the momentum + RSA would have more reason to choke :rolleyes: But fuck em anyways ... RSA will crush em :devil3:

radioactivenerd said:
just so everyone knows B'desh are NOT good enouhg ot reach this stage. The group stage really should have had two games with each team, with a less elaborate round of 8.
We should really get over + accept India's pathetic performances this WC. Of course Bangladesh are luck to be here, but they are in the Super 8s on merit. We shouldn't really take anything away from them ;)

Passion for *9*

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Yea, radioactivenerd, don't be such a Bangla hater :o

Did I mention yet that I'm going to root for Bangla + WI ?

Schedule