Official Combat Sports (MMA, Boxing, Kickboxing) Thread

seveners

Vinceremo
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Nesta, Sheva, van Basten, Inzaghi, Baggio, Costacurta, Gattuso, Maradona, Cantona
Welterweight champ Georges St-Pierre
has announced he will vacate his title to take a much
needed personal break. Johny Hendricks and Robbie
Lawler will fight for the vacated 170-pound title at UFC
171 in Dallas Texas! Tickets go on sale January 17th.
http://on.ufc.com/1cGJpbb
It should be Hendricks vs Condit 2 for the title.

Milaniscool

Face that runs the place
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Balotelli, Leão, Theo, Zlatan, Tonali
Shit is gonna get a lot more interesting in the WW division, now Johny can take his rightful place as king of the division, unless Lawler has something to say. Looking back at it, it sucks Silva took a L and GSP is having this leave before we got to see them fight, would have been biggest MMA fight of all time, but you can't wait too long with these things.

seveners

Vinceremo
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Nesta, Sheva, van Basten, Inzaghi, Baggio, Costacurta, Gattuso, Maradona, Cantona
Now Silva vs GSP is like a dream that never come true. I guess GSP might retire after all.

MilanMB

Serendipity
Reaction score
GSP will come back. He just wanted to get rid of the belt.

To me, GSP - Silva was interesting 2-3 years ago

MilanMB

Serendipity
Reaction score
Condit is fighting Dan Brown. That's an excellent fight and should not be cancelled. The winner of that fight will get a title shot anyway so...

seveners

Vinceremo
Reaction score
Fav. Players

Az.

Se7en
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini,Shevchenko, Rui Costa, Gattuso, Pippo, Nesta, Ambrosini,Seedorf, Billy,Kaka,Beckham,Zlatan
Such a shame about Petis, the guy is so awesome..

Anyway what about that performance last night by Urijah Faber ???? The California kid was on top of his game, looked better everywhere then McDonald.

And that swarm + guillotine was beautiful. Him along with Belfort are probably the best number 2`s in the game and that`s no shame cause there simply guys that are a little bit better.

But i do hope he manages to win a title next year, the " kid " deserves enormous hart on this guy.

Side note: gonna watch the midgets fight later, need to run now.

Congo Powers

⭐⭐
Reaction score
Fav. Players
B&G, RuiCosta, Pippo, Sheva, Stam, Kaka, Abbiati, Cassano, Mexes, TH19, RL10, KPB, 45, Krunic
bwahahaaa

adrien broner suckssss

wat a loser

Az.

Se7en
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini,Shevchenko, Rui Costa, Gattuso, Pippo, Nesta, Ambrosini,Seedorf, Billy,Kaka,Beckham,Zlatan
Woodley vs Condit UFC 171. Shame Brown got injured, this seems like a such a step down for him. I hope he destroys him to show that cunt Dana that he deserves a title shot.

MilanMB

Serendipity
Reaction score
just that, he got a title shot not to long ago :fp: :lol:

Sir Crookodile

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Fav. Players
SEEDORF, K.Honda, Mugen, PRINCE, Ibra, Balotelli, Niang
adrien-broner-meme.jpg

took me a while to watch MIGHT MOUSE and HUNT. Former got very very solid main-card. Enjoyed it a lot. Faber had beastly overhands and his hooks were solid as well. Feel sorry for Macdonald, he ain't bad at all but Faber is such a gate-keeper.

Lauzon had great dirty fighting - short and clean elbows and the knees in the clinch were great.

And really, wow Mighty Mouse. That hit wauw. Na, like said, whole card was very solid - enjoyed it more than previous UFC-event...which Hunt won lol.

--

edit: saw video with Weidman about his abusive childhood (large part was cuz' his brother was an asshole). One time he and his cousin put him on a wooden log, pulled the rope so he went up to the top. And then ofc, they dropped it :p. One of many things apparently. Can't take away his grit.

MilanMB

Serendipity
Reaction score
Am I the only one who's not excited about this fight? (Silva - Weidman)

Surely I'll watch it, but meh, I'm don't care much for it.

Curupira

Milan Legend
Reaction score

Until this day, I believe Anderson Silva is the product of the UFC hype machine. He was an above average fighter with Pride. Don't get me wrong, Anderson is a good fighter, but P4P at that time better than Fedor? Dana smoking something.

I don't care how many fight he's won, UFC's MW division has always been really weak. Plus, he's never had a fight against an opponent who's anywhere near his level in striking. The one tough fight he had was against Weidman, and he lost.

Az.

Se7en
Reaction score
Fav. Players

Probably, im betting its going to be a great fight. Silva will pick him apart for about 3 rounds then finish him. Since his a bit of a douche that way, i can see him wanting to make Weidman look like at tool.

Until this day, I believe Anderson Silva is the product of the UFC hype machine. He was an above average fighter with Pride. Don't get me wrong, Anderson is a good fighter, but P4P at that time better than Fedor? Dana smoking something.

I don't care how many fight he's won, UFC's MW division has always been really weak. Plus, he's never had a fight against an opponent who's anywhere near his level in striking. The one tough fight he had was against Weidman, and he lost.

68a685255348097e81a4460393f7c18743fe72cb83482906300d539d7e92e5e1.jpg

Sir Crookodile

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Probably, im betting its going to be a great fight. Silva will pick him apart for about 3 rounds then finish him. Since his a bit of a douche that way, i can see him wanting to make Weidman look like at tool.

68a685255348097e81a4460393f7c18743fe72cb83482906300d539d7e92e5e1.jpg

:lol::lol::D

-

Thing is, we will see what kind of mode Silva will bring to the table. Saw the fight yesterday or day-before and he was goofing around waaaaay much. It was insane. Then he got tagged.

So it's definitely excited when you have an opponent who could KNOCK SILVA OUT (that's insane man..seriously..those hits he took from Sonnen etc? Unfazed...hooks from Weidman? Not so good). And then we haven't considered the ground-game either.

It's a very interesting match-up but I'm still a bit sad that Silva signed like 10 mates prior to this fight. Too much for his age I think (he DOES take hits, he rolls them off but he ain't exactly Rigondeux or Mayweather and even then he just eat them to orove his point).

Curupira

Milan Legend
Reaction score

Please do tell me who Silva beat had striking worth a damn?

Milaniscool

Face that runs the place
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Balotelli, Leão, Theo, Zlatan, Tonali
Out of all those fights in UFC and only one competent striker

And who did Vitor beat that was worth a damn before his fight with Silva?

Rich Franklin? :lol:

:star: Tank Abbott :star:

Sir Crookodile

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Fav. Players

I don't care about P4P as I see no reason for that. For example: GSP never ducked anyone, avenged all of his matches except the very latest and he went in with notable wrestlers..and humiliated them in their own game-plan.

Jones was freakishly good until he met Gustafsson and had a hard time - he became mortal himself in that fight just like GSP.

'Smooth', despite that split against Edgar and Mendez which I had him win, he got handed a loss in the latest against Pettis. Once again, very mortal.

Cain got his ass handed to him first time I saw a live UFC. I was seriously pissed off how quickly it ended. But he's come back stronger.

Every champ had their thorns (more so in later days). Silva ain't exception but to say that he is above-average? :conf::conf:. He TOYED with his opponents. You're arguing for the sake of striking, but this ain't boxing. The game-plan will always stretch beyond striking. We saw that against Sonnen in their first fight - he went down on the mat several times and took lots of beating but came back strong. He came back much stronger in the second fight having upped his takedown defense and whatnot.

I don't like you're discrediting of Silva. Whether he's P4P or not is up for grabs but to claim above-average is just silly. Every champ has his style. (or her..Rousey..)

EDIT: I have barely seen anything from Fedor, will someday.

Curupira

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Every champ had their thorns (more so in later days). Silva ain't exception but to say that he is above-average? :conf::conf:. He TOYED with his opponents. You're arguing for the sake of striking, but this ain't boxing. The game-plan will always stretch beyond striking. We saw that against Sonnen in their first fight - he went down on the mat several times and took lots of beating but came back strong. He came back much stronger in the second fight having upped his takedown defense and whatnot.

I don't like you're discrediting of Silva. Whether he's P4P or not is up for grabs but to claim above-average is just silly. Every champ has his style. (or her..Rousey..)

EDIT: I have barely seen anything from Fedor, will someday.

1. You did not read my post carefully, I said "above average fighter in Pride". I assume since you've never watched Fedor, you don't know about "p4p greatest"-Anderson's time in Pride. He beat Stiebling and Newton, who are solid journeymen at best, and Diet Butcher Otsuka who is a pro wrestler and a certified can. He lost to Daijyu Takase and Ryo Chonan, another two journey man in Japan (freak win or not, Chonan pulls off arguably one of the sweetest subs on Anderson). What's wrong with saying he was "above average" in Pride?

2. You've never watched Fedor, so you don't know what P4P best looks like, so I can't really argue with you. To give you a better idea, Fedor negated Nogueira (in his prime)'s grappling and GnP the shit out of him. He survived Cro Cop (in his prime)'s left high kick, had his nose broken by a jab, and also was visibly discolored in his body from the kicks, still he was able to outstrike Cro Cop and take him down repeatedly and followed up with vicious GnP. He armbarred the "Godfather of GnP" Mark Coleman eventhough Coleman dictated where the fight went. He fights back from being viciously slammed by Randleman (before he fell off) and still win the fight. His only lost at that time period came from TK, and it was stopped due to a cut. Sure, Fedor isn't as good now and he kind of went down with Pride, but during his Pride years, Fedor was FOR SURE, the best.

3. Sure every champ has their style, but Anderson's style is not really an imposing one. He clowns around in order to get lesser strikers to engage with him and KO's them. Did you see his fight with Damian Maia and Thales Leites? When those guys are smart and doesn't bite to his gameplan? Or when Maia knocked him down chasing him around when he clowns around. Only "worthy" challengers for his belt were Weidman, Henderson, and Belfort. Rest of the guys all have GLARING holes in their game. To prove he is well-rounded? He subbed Sonnen, whoopity-fucking-doo-da, Sonnen can't defend subs, that's nothing new. And some of his fights against Irvin, Bonnar, and Griffin, did anyone think those guys are going to win? :lol: I believe Anderson isn't as well-rounded as some of the other champs, and when people don't bite to his "clowning" he really hasn't shown a plan B. To use your own argument, I believe Anderson's never had a real challenger in the MW, and all his LHW fights were against guys who were willing to play into his gameplan. Who were his "rival"? Sonnen? Rich Franklin? It's not that he is dominating rather the division is weak. This isn't his fault but it affects his legacy in my opinion.

Now, to clarify. I did not call him "above-average" I said "he was above-average with PRIDE". I think he is a great fighter, but there is no way he is as dominating as Fedor was during his Pride run. Also, he hardly fought anyone well-rounded in a VERY weak middleweight division. Many people buy into the UFC hype machine, my statement was that when Dana White said Anderson was P4P better than Fedor, it was outrageous. And my original statement was only to agree with MilanMB's sentiment.

PS - you need to watch Fedor fights as well as other PRIDE fights to learn about the history of the sport before criticizing others.

Last edited:

Az.

Se7en
Reaction score
Fav. Players
1. You did not read my post carefully, I said "above average fighter in Pride". I assume since you've never watched Fedor, you don't know about "p4p greatest"-Anderson's time in Pride. He beat Stiebling and Newton, who are solid journeymen at best, and Diet Butcher Otsuka who is a pro wrestler and a certified can. He lost to Daijyu Takase and Ryo Chonan, another two journey man in Japan (freak win or not, Chonan pulls off arguably one of the sweetest subs on Anderson). What's wrong with saying he was "above average" in Pride?

2. You've never watched Fedor, so you don't know what P4P best looks like, so I can't really argue with you. To give you a better idea, Fedor negated Nogueira (in his prime)'s grappling and GnP the shit out of him. He survived Cro Cop (in his prime)'s left high kick, had his nose broken by a jab, and also was visibly discolored in his body from the kicks, still he was able to outstrike Cro Cop and take him down repeatedly and followed up with vicious GnP. He armbarred the "Godfather of GnP" Mark Coleman eventhough Coleman dictated where the fight went. He fights back from being viciously slammed by Randleman (before he fell off) and still win the fight. His only lost at that time period came from TK, and it was stopped due to a cut. Sure, Fedor isn't as good now and he kind of went down with Pride, but during his Pride years, Fedor was FOR SURE, the best.

3. Sure every champ has their style, but Anderson's style is not really an imposing one. He clowns around in order to get lesser strikers to engage with him and KO's them. Did you see his fight with Damian Maia and Thales Leites? When those guys are smart and doesn't bite to his gameplan? Or when Maia knocked him down chasing him around when he clowns around. Only "worthy" challengers for his belt were Weidman, Henderson, and Belfort. Rest of the guys all have GLARING holes in their game. To prove he is well-rounded? He subbed Sonnen, whoopity-fucking-doo-da, Sonnen can't defend subs, that's nothing new. And some of his fights against Irvin, Bonnar, and Griffin, did anyone think those guys are going to win? :lol: I believe Anderson isn't as well-rounded as some of the other champs, and when people don't bite to his "clowning" he really hasn't shown a plan B. To use your own argument, I believe Anderson's never had a real challenger in the MW, and all his LHW fights were against guys who were willing to play into his gameplan. Who were his "rival"? Sonnen? Rich Franklin? It's not that he is dominating rather the division is weak. This isn't his fault but it affects his legacy in my opinion.

Now, to clarify. I did not call him "above-average" I said "he was above-average with PRIDE". I think he is a great fighter, but there is no way he is as dominating as Fedor was during his Pride run. Also, he hardly fought anyone well-rounded in a VERY weak middleweight division. Many people buy into the UFC hype machine, my statement was that when Dana White said Anderson was P4P better than Fedor, it was outrageous. And my original statement was only to agree with MilanMB's sentiment.

PS - you need to watch Fedor fights as well as other PRIDE fights to learn about the history of the sport before criticizing others.

You are dumb as fuck or just a hater. First of all Fedor or any other of the pride guys would never be able to hold a belt in today`s game. You know why, because they are not truly MMA fighters they where just brawlers that where good at one part of there game at best and average at others.

Silva has Muay Thai & BJJ black belts and is expertly trained in boxing and wrestling, do you even know what that means? Take for example his boxing where he did not compete professionally, do you see anybody better then him that can roll punches on his chin in UFC?

Not even gonna bother about his competition with you, since you are clearly deluded.

Btw Fedor would not last a round with any of Cain, JDS, Barnett.. he lost to Dan FFS whos not even in his weight class :lol: (p.s who Silva beat btw )

Curupira

Milan Legend
Reaction score
You are dumb as fuck or just a hater. First of all Fedor or any other of the pride guys would never be able to hold a belt in today`s game. You know why, because they are not truly MMA fighters they where just brawlers that where good at one part of there game at best and average at others.

Silva has Muay Thai & BJJ black belts and is expertly trained in boxing and wrestling, do you even know what that means? Take for example his boxing where he did not compete professionally, do you see anybody better then him that can roll punches on his chin in UFC?

Not even gonna bother about his competition with you, since you are clearly deluded.

Btw Fedor would not last a round with any of Cain, JDS, Barnett.. he lost to Dan FFS whos not even in his weight class :lol: (p.s who Silva beat btw )

First of all, in no part of my post did I insult you, if you feel the need to continue to do so, we do not have to continue this conversation. :thumbsdown:

I never said Fedor can hang with UFC guys today because he is WAY past his prime. PRIDE guys can't make it because they are fucking old and not because they are not good enough. I was comparing their legacies rather than competitiveness now. And the game evolves, of course it is going to be different for them. Newer generation always out grow old ones, I don't see any UFC champions from that time frame competing in today's game either, so your attempt at discrediting an entire organization is not very convincing. Best part is, Anderson used to fight in PRIDE too and got beat by a journeyman and a can. :lol:

Anderson has good stand up, I never denied that. But, he also has not fought any competition like Fedor has fought (keep in mind, relative to the time frame). Fedor fought the best @ BJJ at that time and beat him in his guard. Fedor fought the best striker and arguably one of the best ever HW and took his shots head on. Fedor subbed an Olympic Wrestler who invented the GnP. Fedor was slammed on his freakin neck and came back and won the fight. Yes, I know CroCop's shitty record in UFC and all that, but at the time he fought Fedor, he just went on a tear of his own (including a win over Barnett, who you think Fedor won't last a round with).

You want to talk about one-dimensional. When was the last time Anderson was in a tough fight? When an one-dimensional Maia knocked him down? Anderson wanted no part of pounding Leites in his guard. Anderson ran around like a clown dancing trying to get Maia to engage because he wanted no part of grappling. Leites and Maia are both very one-dimensional. Anderson has never fought anyone with striking anywhere close to his abilities barring Belfort. I have been personally heard trainers from BTT and Carlson Gracie camp comment on Belfort's mental game and how if the fight isn't going his way, he bends. What does Chael Sonne do well besides wrestle? Anderson let Sonnen ground and pound him for four rounds before he got the triangle and Sonnen doesn't exactly have the greatest sub defense. You also realize that Fedor is possibly one of the smallest HW and more frequently than not, fought bigger competition where as Anderson is a big MW fighting smaller MWs and scrub LHWs.

You are not going to bother naming competition because I am deluded? Sure that's good way to try to prove your point.

Since you asked, I train Muay Thai and BJJ, for a good amount of time too. I also watched UFC since UFC 38 and watched all of the PRIDE and UFC events, yes I like MMA that much, it is my second passion to Milan. I can't speak for boxing, and I already recognized that his stand up is one of the best. But Anderson's BJJ is NOT top class, if you think it is then you are the one who knows nothing. He is proficient against lesser opponents but you cannot compare his BJJ to Maia's or Werdums. His wrestling is not top class either. And since I feel like the game HAS evolved, it is only right to hold Anderson at a higher standard. Compared to GSP, who's legacy was around the same time as Anderson's, I feel Anderson's accomplishment isn't as great.

When Fedor lost to Hendo he was WAY out of his prime already, so what? Every great fighter eventually get old. Great MMA math by the way, I forgot that because Hendo beat Fedor and Anderson beat Hendo then Anderson > Fedor. Fedor can't beat Barnett? Josh has been ducking Fedor since their PRIDE days.

Again, my statement was that DANA White's statement of Anderson was P4P better than Fedor AT THAT TIME (when Anderson's resume included Rich Franklin, Patrick Cote, James Irvin, Travis Lutter, Forrest Griffin, Dan Henderson) was preposterous and even today I don't think his legacy is as great as Fedor's or GSPs. Never in my post did I say Anderson isn't a great fighter, so it is you who is deluded if you think Anderson's opponents are "well rounded MMA fighters" that you describe

Last edited:

Az.

Se7en
Reaction score
Fav. Players
First of all, in no part of my post did I insult you, if you feel the need to continue to do so, we do not have to continue this conversation. :thumbsdown:

Since you asked, I train Muay Thai and BJJ myself, for a good amount of time too might I add. I also watched UFC since UFC 38 and watched all of the PRIDE and UFC events, yes I like MMA that much, it is my second passion to Milan.

Anderson has good stand up, I never denied that. Anderson's BJJ is NOT top class, if you think it is then you are the one who knows nothing. His wrestling is not top class either. He also has not fought any top level competition that Fedor has fought. Fedor fought the best @ BJJ at that time and beat him in his guard. Fedor fought the best striker and arguably one of the best ever HW and took his shots head on. Anderson ran around like a clown dancing trying to get Maia and Leites to engage because they were better grapplers. Anderson let Sonnen take him down and pound him for four rounds before he got the triangle and Sonnen doesn't exactly have the greatest sub defense.

You are not going to bother because I am deluded? Sure that's good way to try to prove your point.

PRIDE fighters won't make it in today's game? Ofc not, they are old as fuck. And the game evolves, of course it is going to be different for them. Newer generation always out grow old ones, because I don't see any UFC champions from that time frame competing in today's game either, so your attempt at discrediting an entire organization is not very convincing.

Do you realize when Fedor lost to Hendo he was WAY out of his prime and have not fought any decent competition since his PRIDE days? Great MMA math by the way, I forgot that because Hendo beat Fedor and Anderson beat Hendo then Anderson > Fedor. Fedor can't beat Barnett? Josh has been ducking Fedor since their PRIDE days.

I never said Fedor can hang with UFC guys today because he is WAY past his prime. Those guys can't make it because they are fucking old and not because they are not good. I was comparing their legacies rather than competitiveness now. You also realize that Fedor is possibly one of the smallest HW and more frequently than not, fought bigger competition where as Anderson is a big MW fighting smaller MWs and scrub LHWs.

Again, my statement was that DANA White's statement of Anderson was P4P better than Fedor AT THAT time was preposterous and even today I don't think his legacy is as great as Fedor's or GSPs. Never in my post did I say Anderson isn't a great fighter, so it si you who is deluded if you think Anderson's opponents are "well rounded MMA fighters" that you describe.

Breaking down your rant for last time :

1. I was talking about Fedor in his prime vs Cain and co in there prime.
2. That was not MMA math, that was just a example of how much you overate your brawlers and how much you underrate MMA fighters. Speaking of math, in your first post you mentioned Anderson lost to Weidman..you know how old is Anderson now by any chance? ( his still going to beat him in the rematch)

3. Anderson legacy consist in beating guys like : Rich Franklin, Dan Henderson, Forrest Griffin, Demian Maia, Chael Sonnen, Vitor Belfort and that`s only since he got his belt. If you don't consider them top class middle weights you are deluded as they get.

Curupira

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Breaking down your rant for last time :

1. I was talking about Fedor in his prime vs Cain and co in there prime.
2. That was not MMA math, that was just a example of how much you overate your brawlers and how much you underrate MMA fighters. Speaking of math, in your first post you mentioned Anderson lost to Weidman..you know how old is Anderson now by any chance? ( his still going to beat him in the rematch)

3. Anderson legacy consist in beating guys like : Rich Franklin, Dan Henderson, Forrest Griffin, Demian Maia, Chael Sonnen, Vitor Belfort and that`s only since he got his belt. If you don't consider them top class middle weights you are deluded as they get.

1. I already said the fight game evolves. So its pointless to point out older fighter prime vs. younger fighter prime.

2. Age is only 1 factor of MMA fighters being in their prime or not. I know Anderson is older than Fedor and started MMA before him? So what? Like I said, there are other factors.

3. Only since he got his belt? Who did he fight great before he got his belt? Chris Leben :lol:
Rich Franklin - a good well rounded fighter but isn't particularly good at any specific things. Who has he beaten in their prime? Nate Quarry? :lol:
Demian Maia - when he fought Silva he was as one-dimensional as it gets. (Team Brasa FTW!!!) He has gotten better since and even dropped to WW, should tell you how he would match up against Anderson.
Chael Sonnen - really? You want to call him a complete fighter? His sub defense was awful when he fought Anderson.
Vitor Belfort - I addressed the issues with him in my editted post
Dan Henderson - I said he was one of Anderson's tougher wins.
Forrest Griffin - not a MW, and its especially funny you rate him considering you just ragged on me for overrating "brawlers".

My original point is still that Anderson is one of the top fighters but AT THE TIME, when Fedor was destroying people, Dana White saying he was P4P better than Fedor is just hyping up his own fighters. And in my opinion legacy wise Fedor > Anderson. I undersatnd why people like Anderson but I just do not htink he is the greatest thing ever.

Anyways, I'm done with you, it seems like I cannot have an open minded conversation with you. It is up to each individuals to have their own opinions, so others can decide for themselves.

Last edited:

Az.

Se7en
Reaction score
Fav. Players
^^ Likewise, you're the type of person that even if a 1000 people tell you to stop spouting shite you will continue to do so nonetheless.

Anyway some greatness :

tumblr_my4c97v1FS1rd6tzso2_500.jpg

tumblr_my4bypNNYE1rd6tzso1_500.jpg

MilanMB

Serendipity
Reaction score
I kind of agree with Curupira. Not 100% but for the most part. Compared to LHW, the MW has been a pretty talentless division. That's why I always wanted to see Silva agaist Jones and GSP (fights that I think Silva would lose).

:lol: Az, I don't understand how you can manage to say so much dumb shit all the time :lol::lol: you clearly have no clue about Fedor.

Schedule