Group F AC Milan vs Olympiakos 04/10/2018 18:55

MilanMB

Serendipity
Reaction score
Indeed the subs changed the game. I just didn't see that frustrating football we've seen over the years where it seems like we can't do anything right.

We don't have a midfielder in the squad that should be a starter, I base my expectations after that.

Az.

Se7en
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini,Shevchenko, Rui Costa, Gattuso, Pippo, Nesta, Ambrosini,Seedorf, Billy,Kaka,Beckham,Zlatan
I thought we played well the whole game. I was worried we wouldn't be able to break them down but we did dominate.

I'm not a fan of possession football without any decisive passes, I find it dreadful to watch.

What Gatusso is trying to play only works if u got a good passer in the mid, something we severely lack.

kevin_dk

Milan Legend
Reaction score
I'm not a fan of possession football without any decisive passes, I find it dreadful to watch.

What Gatusso is trying to play only works if u got a good passer in the mid, something we severely lack.

Someone like prime Modric. Bonucci delivered a few last season, he was always a threat sitting far back.

kevin_dk

Milan Legend
Reaction score
There are folks here who were constantly posting while we were trailing and the moment we equalised, took the lead, scored the third, those posters disappeared. This has happened so many times in the past. Bunch of losers; they only feed of negativity

Hypocrite detected.

Fuck you.

Hitchens

In flux
New Era Vanguard
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Tier 1: Maldini, Nesta - Tier 2: Kaká, Seedorf, Shevchenko, Serginho, Theo, Leao, Ibrahimovic
Nice win but I heard we demonstrated mediocrity both in quality and mentality.

Luckily we have som sycophants in here, wearing different colors. One of the most famous ones will come to the forum and treat everything like it's world class.

The most disturbing ones are the one equating Milan fandom with Berlusconi love. Those people are somewhere between a Trump voter and a "very smart conservative". Charming intellects.

Alec

Football Idiot Savant
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Paul Pierce, Aimar, Nesta, Gattuso, Kaká, Romagnoli, VAR, Genghis Khan
Big character to come back, Cutrone is a big game player and is destined to bring us crucial goals to win us trophies. Higuain goal pure class.

Not a good game by us. Not terrible but we should play to a higher level. Very glad to see Rino react early with subs and them having such a huge impact considering his tendencies to sub late him been criticized previously.

Not to take anything away from our boys, but that Cisse dude makes Zapata look like Nesta :lol:

Nirvana

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
There are folks here who were constantly posting while we were trailing and the moment we equalised, took the lead, scored the third, those posters disappeared. This has happened so many times in the past. Bunch of losers; they only feed of negativity

true.

Jasper

Maldini tier
Reaction score
Fav. Players
3; Marat Safin; Tiziano Crudeli; 2Pac; Christian Bale; Martin M??rsepp; Balotelli.
I mean, one of the loudest chants was "Milan Milan vaffanculo!".
That should tell you who were dominating the stands.

The loudest boos/whistling from Milan fans were in response to the "Milan Milan vaffanculo" chant from Olympiakos.

just to be sure - this isn't about the mic placement on the stadium?

Curva Sud wasn't even on second tier, right?

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Maldini, Buffon, Rino*Pirlo*Clarence, Sheva, Totti, Ibra, Pippo, Giacomo, Carlo, Il Dottore
At one point the boos started when Castillejo got on the ball, after his tap in mistake. I didn’t hear the vaffanculo chants, so it makes sense if the boos were against that.

Higuain was very clearly unfit. Worst player in the first half.. but his quality allows him to score goals even when off colour. That’s all that matters.

helloAgain

Milan Veteran
Reaction score

:thumbsup:

helloAgain

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Have in mind it wasn't Olympiakos' strongest 11.

That first half was definitely not good enough.
Being less shitty than them doesn't mean that you dominated them or did well.
Too low passing tempo in the final third, too many misplaced passes, the front 3 looked lethargic(as usual) and the defense conceded yet again despite barely being tested.

Higuain was garbage in the first half.
Samu couldn't produce anything(he showed he could destroy though).

Cutrone and Hakan changed the game.

first half was bad because they were defending well and we had no idea what to do once we were in their half(same old story). olympiakos didn't create any chances though, so we did fairly well in that department. higuain was getting on my nerves with all his complaining. cutrone was instrumental in us getting the win. gattuso tried 442 with samu-higuain in the first half too but it clearly didn't work. so its not just the 2 strikers formation that helped us win. i liked how hakan and suso were on same side for that third goal. they have to be unpredictable in that way. smart movement is what we are lacking in the attack department.

Alec

Football Idiot Savant
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Paul Pierce, Aimar, Nesta, Gattuso, Kaká, Romagnoli, VAR, Genghis Khan
At one point the boos started when Castillejo got on the ball, after his tap in mistake. I didn’t hear the vaffanculo chants, so it makes sense if the boos were against that.

Higuain was very clearly unfit. Worst player in the first half.. but his quality allows him to score goals even when off colour. That’s all that matters.

Higuain looked a bit checked out at times but he was on when he scored and it gave him a bit of a burst. Obviously I'd like him to be more active but maybe he's a bit sluggish mentally and physically due to the recent small nuisance of an injury. He'll come good because he's pure class.

Thenebra

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Love the win, but rino needs to build on this. This not a cl spot performance.

Alo88

Milan Legend
Reaction score
If Higuain would play every game like shit but still managed to score I'm alright with that.

truant

sexy football fetishist
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Gullit, Van Basten, Rijkaard, Baggio, Nesta, Rui Costa, Kaka, R9, Dinho, TS33, Theo
Wow. That could so easily have turned out badly. We so need a run of wins to gain momentum coming up to the derby and thankfully this makes two in row. Hopefully one more against Chievo. Then once we slaughter Inter in the derby hopefully we will have built confidence and a winning mentality and we will go from strength to strength.

Although we were not at the races for most of the first hour or so and things could have been really bad, I am still proud of the boys for showing a fighting spirit. We were able to fight back with 3 goals in 10 minutes and we still could have had at least a couple more with Borini's attempt which he should have passed to an open Higuain and the last minute attempt by Hakan which hit the post (what a sublime flick-on by Cutrone, was it?).

Cutrone was a superstar in this match and what a celebration for the equaliser. He really is becoming something really special and we need to nurture this. Hopefully being surrounded by people like Higuain and Paolo will help him develop different aspects of his character and his talent. We have to remember though that he was not always convincing last season and needs time to grow. We could have easily given up on him the same way we did with the others, so I'm grateful that he's being relied upon and he's relishing the pressure.

Nice to see Higuain smiling after he scored the goal that took us ahead and thereafter. We need to keep him happy and scoring. I like his determination but I don't really like the sour face when we are struggling, even though it is understandable if he is still considering whether he's made a mistake joining us or not. It's up to the other players to convince him.

Rodriguez is really finding form after every match and I'm really liking him this season. Hakan was great coming on - well done to Rino for his timely substitutions.

I also liked that we kept going forward to kill the match even after we were 2-1 up.

As for the negatives, I understand Zapata has been out for awhile and is rusty but the Romagnoli-Zapata combo were off today. We could have conceded a couple of more ourselves. Bakayoko was not great overall, although he made a nice pass which Cutrone flicked on for the Hakan's drive that hit the post.

Poor Castillejo - I hope it wasn't the home fans getting on his back although I don't think they would considering it was only last week that he was one of our shining lights. Maybe Jack shouldn't have been too hard on him either seeing as he didn't have a great match either.

Borini seems to have outlived his limited uselfulness this season. Still it was good to give Suso a few minutes rest.

Olympiacos were not even playing their best team but we still looked lost for the first hour so that was a bit worrying.

More positives than negatives overall, not least because of the result. Bakayoko and Zapata got full matches and hope they will be sharper if called upon in the next few months. Hopefully this match gives us confidence that we can deal with the pressure of falling behind against a smaller team at home. We are moving forwards slowly but surely and I just hope we grow just like Cutrone who would never have had a chance had we a full star studded squad.

Forza Milan!

truant

sexy football fetishist
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Gullit, Van Basten, Rijkaard, Baggio, Nesta, Rui Costa, Kaka, R9, Dinho, TS33, Theo
Gattuso's post-match words:

“I am satisfied with the result, but we can interpret the games much better and made too many mistakes in midfield,” Gattuso told the microphones of Sky Italia after the final whistle at Stadio San Siro. “We’ve got to improve if we want to play with a 4-4-2 system. Bakayoko? He is struggling at the moment, but we need everyone. I am really not satisfied with how we played off the ball.

That is spot-on. We don't have any options in midfield though so I can see why he is trying to integrate Bakayoko as an alternative for Jack and especially Kessie.

“We played not up to the rhythm in the first half even though we created a lot. The attack was never convincing, Jack went too wide, Castillejo had too many shots from distance and so did Higuain. That was the biggest problem. Our problems? We’ve got to transition better, as the lines of Biglia and Bakayoko were at many times too wide and that makes the defense use up a lot more energy.

Again down to Bakayoko. Kessie does very well to keep the shape of the team and even Jack is pretty good at interpreting the role of mezzala.

Cutrone? Patrick played against Empoli with an ankle injury, he is not at 100 per cent and has to take anti-inflammatories. We really appreciate the way he’s working hard and giving his all for the group Çalhanoğlu? He needs to find his confidence, to be less tense. He’s a guy who really cares and at times can over-think it. That is his problem. We need to find the best Çalhanoğlu. Higuain? We knew he wasn’t at his best after the injury, but he scored a fantastic goal. We knew that we would have to play with another striker, we first tried with Castillejo and then with Cutrone.

:proud:
“Ibrahimović [Leonardo confirmed before the match that he had thought of signing Zlatan in the summer but right now signing the 37-year-old Swede is ‘impossible’]? I speak only of players I have available. We are far away [from January], we’ll see. I have to get results and train the players that I have at my disposal. Sometimes the ‘thoughts’ are not told to me because they’re still thinking…”

Speaking in the post-match press conference, Rino said: “The starting XI? Until yesterday I was reprimanded because Çalhanoğlu was always playing and now I got reprimanded because he was out… he needed rest as did Kessié. As for Cutrone, however, I give compliments because he’s been training while taking anti-inflammatories. We knew that El Pipita was not in a great condition and it was not a coincidence that we played 4-4-2 with Castillejo alongside Higuain.

“The possibility of playing with two strikers? We also tried 4-4-2 in the first half but we weren’t building a lot. We put in some important balls through Suso in the first half but we were lacking the goal. The team must suffer less. We won 3-1 but I did not see the team in control of the game. Cutrone scored the second goal as a winger while Çalhanoğlu was a mezz’ala.

“We move the ball and technically play well. We must be able to find compactness and reach the games better. The phase of the non-possession wasn’t perfect, we have to improve it if we want to become a competitive team. The performances of the midfield? In the pre-game I said that Olympiacos was a team that can play purposeful football. Our midfield was overrun easily.

“Unfortunately, when we find it hard to keep the team compact for the full 90 minutes, Olympiacos are a team that can always put you in difficulty in the transition phase. The vice-Biglia? To date, it’s Josè Mauri and Bertolacci. We’re also thinking of Kessié, although he would have to regulate himself a bit more. Neither of them [Mauri and Bertolacci] were on the bench so we had to try to play 4-4-2.

That is worrying. And the fact that we cannot rely on either Mauri or Bertolacci means that if Biglia is unavailable then both of them will be rusty, in addition to not being up to it even at top match fitness.

“What to do to fill San Siro? I think the schedule hasn’t helped much, playing at 19:00 on a day of work is not ideal. And we, as a club, need to go back to hearing that song that everyone loves, that of the Champions League. We must be good at recreating the enthusiasm. We must not seek any excuses, perhaps we deserve the 22k people that were here on Thursday.

“What can Cutrone become? I hope that he can become the new Pippo Inzaghi, but he must keep pedaling and keep his feet on the ground.“

Forza AC Milan

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Indeed the subs changed the game. I just didn't see that frustrating football we've seen over the years where it seems like we can't do anything right.

We don't have a midfielder in the squad that should be a starter, I base my expectations after that.

This is our biggest problem. Neither Biglia, Kessie or Bonaventura would have been regular starters in the Milan we were used to nor can they if we really want to return to the level we should

forward

Milan Legend
Reaction score
We usually look good in a 4-4-2 but we don't really have the squad to play this formation every match.

If Cutrone or Hig can't play who do you field instead? Borini?

In midfield as well we are thin like fuck.

joyrider

Il Moderati
Staff member
Reaction score
We usually look good in a 4-4-2 but we don't really have the squad to play this formation every match.

If Cutrone or Hig can't play who do you field instead? Borini?

In midfield as well we are thin like fuck.

Tsadjout

Goodfella

Milan Legend
Reaction score
just to be sure - this isn't about the mic placement on the stadium?

Curva Sud wasn't even on second tier, right?

I wasn't there, but this is a reoccurring thing whenever we face a team with a strong away support in games that are largely ignored by match-attending fans.

You could hear Curva Sud when they were singing or just shouting "Milan Milan Milan" but they weren't on all the time like the Olympiakos fans.

There were no loud whistling or booing when Samu had the ball other than when he lead the counterattack that looked dangerous for a moment. The whistling ceased when Olympiakos were no longer under threat and it was clearly coming from Curva Nord, just like the other times Olympiakos were being besieged.

Rightly after a conceded goal, after the half or full-time whistle, during substitutions and backpasses to the GK when we're chasing goals are the moments Milan "supporters" pick to whistle/boo out their own team.

khuyag

AC Milan Icon
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Кака, Maldini, Nesta, Ronaldo, Beckham
FB_IMG_1538806749854.jpg

joyrider

Il Moderati
Staff member
Reaction score
Nah, we can‘t rely on two newbies and one senior upfront. I think in emergency case we have seen that wth Samu we have a valid option there.

Samu need to add energy during the last 30min