Mattia Perin

Goodfella

Milan Legend
Reaction score
They are from different seasons.. Agazzi was shocking this year but had a good season last year.

Scuffet tho, the ultimate dream <3

His 10/11 and 11/12 seasons were better, save percentage wise. (09/10 too, but the sample was too small)

rkr28j.jpg

What really surprised me is that Perin is within 5.5% of Courtois.

Obviously the ratio isn't a be-all and end-all stat, but as far as I'm concerned, it does the best job of cancelling out a lot of the noise that goes into goalkeeper statistics, namely counting stats. Courtois, Neuer, and Buffon have seen significantly fewer shots, so it is only natural to have fewer saves and fewer goals conceded.

Courtois is a great keeper and better than the keepers I'll mention soon, but his save percentage(or saves per goal), 75.7%(2.8 SPG), is nothing rare and proved achievable even if you're mediocre(Amelia). Neto's is even better.

2zi313l.jpg

Abbiati never finished below 75%, until now.

etru49.jpg

(only including league games)
Source: http://www.nbcsports.com/

Polotelli

Milan Legend
SAPL Moderator
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maignan, Tomori, Kjaer, Theo, Bennacer, Leao, Giroud
stats are bullshit

USC

god of thunder
Reaction score
Courtois is a great keeper and better than the keepers I'll mention soon, but his save percentage(or saves per goal), 75.7%(2.8 SPG), is nothing rare and proved achievable even if you're mediocre(Amelia). Neto's is even better.

Should have specified my thought process. It's interesting that Courtois is mentioned as the best young keeper on the planet, yet his numbers are pretty much in line with comparable players. It's one of the great reasons why scouting needs to be eye test + numbers and not just one or the other.

The thing that Perin brings to the table is current level performance and projectability. Abbiatti, as you mentioned, was a very good keeper for the past several years, but his performance has taken a noticeable decline, which is normal for people his age. His career follows a normal distribution.

Jivara

Vero Milanista
Reaction score
Stats describe only so little

Courtois pulls off really big saves such as the one last night vs Getafe when it was only 1-0 and late into the match

Ashish

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
R.I.P. Papa Berlu, G, R9, Nesta, Rui, Maldini, Gattuso, Robert Wieckiewicz, Brendan Gleeson
Can we just sign Peter Cech? he is by far the best goalkeeper in Europe

USC

god of thunder
Reaction score
Stats describe only so little

Courtois pulls off really big saves such as the one last night vs Getafe when it was only 1-0 and late into the match

The eye test can also be misleading, which is why it is important to utilize both in evaluation. This practice is in sport, business, life, etc.

Ashish

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
R.I.P. Papa Berlu, G, R9, Nesta, Rui, Maldini, Gattuso, Robert Wieckiewicz, Brendan Gleeson
FUCK big saves just dont make blunders

Jivara

Vero Milanista
Reaction score
The eye test can also be misleading, which is why it is important to utilize both in evaluation. This practice is in sport, business, life, etc.

You are correct Sensei :proud:

Goodfella

Milan Legend
Reaction score

Yup.

I recommend also taking a look at the Shot Zones on Whoscored in addition to save percentages(or saves per goal) if you want to make a quick assessment of a GK you don't have opportunity/patience to closely observe. Unsurprisingly, there's a correlation between higher save percentage and higher percentage of shots from out of box.

Tottenham(Lloris, highly rated, yet very low save percentage)
2ebsacl.jpg

Newcastle(Krul, highly rated, yet very low save percentage)
fvgx8n.jpg

Roma(De Sanctis, not considered WC, yet extremely high save percentage)
259lgfn.jpg

Juventus (Buffon, considered by many to have been poor this season, yet extremely save percentage)
fkr4mt.jpg

Atletico Madrid (Courtois, high save percentage)
2d79g29.jpg

Have in mind, this also includes blocked shots and shots off target.

mato

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Have in mind, this also includes blocked shots and shots off target.

Then it doesnt realy show anything does it? :fp:

Someone could shoot 1000 times over bar with Amelia in goal, so he would be the best keeper?

Goodfella

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Then it doesnt realy show anything does it? :fp:

Someone could shoot 1000 times over bar with Amelia in goal, so he would be the best keeper?

What it shows is your lack of reading comprehension.

The note obviously referred to shot zones, not save percentages.

Amelia's save percentage for this Serie A season is 53.8%, one of the lowest I have ever seen.

mato

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
What it shows is your lack of reading comprehension.

The note obviously referred to shot zones, not save percentages.

Amelia's save percentage for this Serie A season is 53.8%, one of the lowest I have ever seen.

I know what it shows, I just dont get the point what you're getting from it? If you would exclude shots that missed the target and blocked shots, it would be the best possible stats for a keeper, but like this it shows completly nothing.

In this stat, one could have 1000 shots from all over, but none hitting the target, so he'd be 100% - no conceded.
From this stats he would look like he stopped 1000 shots, but in reality he stopped none.

Amelia was just an example of simmilar what i just wrote again.

Goodfella

Milan Legend
Reaction score
I know what it shows

No you don't. You still think it shows save percentages. I referred to shot zones.

Shots off target or blocked are not counted as saves when calculating save percentages. The positional stats(shot zones & directions) I posted however did not exclude any shot attempts. Excluding off target & blocked shots would perhaps give us a more accurate picture, but the closest thing I could find to it was fourfourtwo.com's match centres...

The point of posting the shot zones was to show it's connection to save percentages and how it should be utilized in quick, statistics-based assessments of GKs.

The positional shots stats showed us that Krul and Lloris - who have ridiculously low save percentages - faced proportionally more shots from closer distance than Buffon, De Sanctis and Courtois - who have higher save percentages.

mato

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
You still dont get my point.

Those infos you provided with graph, are useless. Again why.
Because it also shows the shots missing the target.

So you can't get anything from it, while comparing with save %.

Example.
You have a keeper with 90% save rating.
On your graph it would show there were 1000 shots taken and 90% were from inside 6 yard box.
Note that 900 shots were from inside 6 yard box then right?
That would be amazing goalkeeping.
Other 100 from outside the box.
Now we take missed shots and blocked shots away. He only has 1 shot from point blank and 99 from outside the box.
How good does this keeper look now?

You get it now?
Thats why this stat shows nothing while having missed and blocked shots included. If you still dont understand, I rly can't help you.

Last edited:

Sovilhelm

Maestro
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Kaka, Maldini, Nesta, Dinho, Ronaldo, Seedorf, Gattuso, T.Silva, Beckham, ZLATAN
wanna bet? He'll never come to Milan

Goodfella

Milan Legend
Reaction score
You still dont get my point.

Those infos you provided with graph, are useless. Again why.
Because it also shows the shots missing the target.

So you can't get anything from it, while comparing with save %.

Example.
You have a keeper with 90% save rating.
On your graph it would show there were 1000 shots taken and 90% were from inside 6 yard box.
Note that 900 shots were from inside 6 yard box then right?
That would be amazing goalkeeping.
Other 100 from outside the box.
Now we take missed shots and blocked shots away. He only has 1 shot from point blank and 99 from outside the box.
How good does this keeper look now?

You get it now?
Thats why this stat shows nothing while having missed and blocked shots included. If you still dont understand, I rly can't help you.

Please tell me you're just doing this to save face?:lol:

Pharaoh

Banned
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Stephan-El-Shaarawy, Balotelli, Ronaldo(CR7), Kaka, and Buffon
Was bored tonight. Here are some of the keepers to whom we have been linked and elite keepers as a baseline. Note that Scuffet and Gabriel are below 1000 minutes, so take those numbers with a bit of a grain of salt.

I knew there was a reason that I never liked Kruhl.

1085rm0.png

Recognize that it's not a complete picture, but it's a good launching point

Damn if we really get agazzi...

Goodfella

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Please tell me you got my point and you're not just plain stupid?

First of of all, you're shifting ground and giving extreme examples to dig yourself out of this.
Second, there's a clear connection and one could roughly guess the save percentage of an average GK just by looking at the positional shots stats, even though they include shots which didn't need to be saved.
Third, virtually everything can lie. A striker can have a 20+ goals season and still be mediocre and never come close to that number again. But that's not usually the case. .

Mate, Goodfella is one of the forum's most astute members.

Thx bro :thumbsup:

Nestafan

Long Hair > Mohawk
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Antonini, Crespo, Pirlo, Pippo, Kaka. Ibra, Gabbia, Calabria, Tonali, Mike, Kjaer, Tata, Oli
Google translate

Paganini: "Agazzi counterpart to get to a duo of Genoa"

The RAI journalist Paul Paganini in Zone 11 has talked about a possible exchange on the Milan-Genoa in the summer: "Although there is little talk of the market in Milan, but the Rossoneri are moving. As you work to bring Genoa to Milan goalkeeper Perin and exterior Antonelli, who could end up with Agazzi Liguria as compensation technique.

Mario

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Would be a sweet deal. Antonelli would be an upgrade on LB too, hes been very good the past 2 seasons. The deal to take him to Napoli fell through last minute in Jan.

A backline of Perin, DES, Rami, a new CB a la Dede or someone of that level and Antonelli on the left would be pretty sweet. (considering that Abate is sold, which is the likeliest scenario)

Benny20

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
If we do get perin and I say if its a good signal of intent from the club. A good young and upcoming keeper with serie a experience means there's entry to like . Can we all agree not to get menstrual if he makes a mistake though. It's frustrating how many people beg for young players only to right them off just as quickly.....that is unless your name is de sciglio which it appears is granted eternal patience.

We have de sciglio,Ses,cristante ,balotelli, and even poli is relatively young so adding someone like perin is a nice core group of Italian players and young ones at that. I'm not all about getting hyped Italian players but its nice to see a bit of a throw back to what once made the league and milan so admired.

USC

god of thunder
Reaction score
If we do get perin and I say if its a good signal of intent from the club. A good young and upcoming keeper with serie a experience means there's entry to like . Can we all agree not to get menstrual if he makes a mistake though. It's frustrating how many people beg for young players only to right them off just as quickly.....that is unless your name is de sciglio which it appears is granted eternal patience.

We have de sciglio,Ses,cristante ,balotelli, and even poli is relatively young so adding someone like perin is a nice core group of Italian players and young ones at that. I'm not all about getting hyped Italian players but its nice to see a bit of a throw back to what once made the league and milan so admired.

To me, there are mental mistakes and there are physical mistakes. Physical mistakes happen and can be coached through, improved upon, etc. Mental mistakes are MUCH harder to correct.

Schedule