The Red & Black Forums | An AC Milan Community The Red & Black Forums | An AC Milan Community The Red & Black Forums | An AC Milan Community

Go Back   The Red & Black Forums > AC Milan > AC Milan Players & Staff

AC Milan Players & Staff Share your views on the current AC Milan players & staff, from the seniors to the Primavera and even lower.

Old 03-12-2017, 16:01   #2781
necromancer
Defence of Champions

Fav. Players: Nesta, Maldini, Buffon, Rino*Pirlo*Clarence, Sheva, Totti, Ibra, Pippo, Giacomo, Carlo, Il Dottore

That's true. He's not the worst or the best of our defenders. For me, Zapata should play ahead of Musacchio. Our best setup has been Romagnoli-Bonucci-Zapata which looked solid in the last few Montella matches.

Signature
necromancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 16:23   #2782
milanator
World Cup Winner

He is important for being left-footed alone
milanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 16:49   #2783
Casualista
Monsieur

Quote:
Originally Posted by necromancer View Post
That's true. He's not the worst or the best of our defenders. For me, Zapata should play ahead of Musacchio. Our best setup has been Romagnoli-Bonucci-Zapata which looked solid in the last few Montella matches.
We should not play 3 man defense and we should not play romagnoli.

Nothing complex here. Just like mexes if he isn't scoring, he is a liability. A nice, slow moving car crash.
Casualista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 17:28   #2784
Jasper
Maldini tier

Fav. Players: 3; Marat Safin; Tiziano Crudeli; 2Pac; Christian Bale; Martin M??rsepp; Mario Balotelli

> wrongful red card
> "own club" fans start talking about mistake

Signature
Must follow tumblr - http://milanpeaboss.tumblr.com/

Jasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 17:40   #2785
milanator
World Cup Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper View Post
> wrongful red card
> "own club" fans start talking about mistake

Romagnoli is the least of our problems
Old 03-12-2017, 18:57   #2786
necromancer
Defence of Champions

Fav. Players: Nesta, Maldini, Buffon, Rino*Pirlo*Clarence, Sheva, Totti, Ibra, Pippo, Giacomo, Carlo, Il Dottore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casualista View Post
We should not play 3 man defense and we should not play romagnoli.

Nothing complex here. Just like mexes if he isn't scoring, he is a liability. A nice, slow moving car crash.

This is just nonsensical really. 3-men defense suits our players well and Romagnoli is certainly the best pick for the left sided position. Your view is as extreme as the delusional fanboy view.

Signature
Old 03-12-2017, 20:31   #2787
yagami7gnr
AC Milan Icon

Quote:
This is just nonsensical really. 3-men defense suits our players well and Romagnoli is certainly the best pick for the left sided position. Your view is as extreme as the delusional fanboy view.
I would say wrong. 3-men defense suits us only because of Bonucci. If there was no Bonucci on the team there would be no discussions of playing 3 man on the back. If would be 4 all the time. Now if Conti was healthy, yes I would say 3 man on the back would be more suitable because it would suit more than 1 player.

Signature
"If ignorance is bliss; then, knock the smile off my face"
yagami7gnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 20:41   #2788
Casualista
Monsieur

Quote:
3-men defense suits our players well

Alright, I am convinced.

Clearly, I have come to the wrong conclusion from Milan's 8th position and loss/tactical failure in every big game that we are in a system that's well suited for us.

A system which literally just 3 of our players (not even the coach) are familiar with before Milan (Bonucci, Conti, Kessie. RR at Wolfsburg but he failed).

All other players have achieved their modicum of success in 4-man variants. Success they are clearly unable to replicate in 3 man systems.

Milan shares absolutely no characteristic familiar with successful (semi-successful) 3 man systems like Chelsea or Juve - strong, fast, physical wing backs and wingers, proper regista and holding midfielders, competent target man.

I mean, we did change our "well" suited system 21 times in 21 games and the only position we settled on was Borini should be right wing back.

But I am now convinced otherwise.
Old 03-12-2017, 22:23   #2789
milanator
World Cup Winner

Quote:
Alright, I am convinced.

Clearly, I have come to the wrong conclusion from Milan's 8th position and loss/tactical failure in every big game that we are in a system that's well suited for us.

A system which literally just 3 of our players (not even the coach) are familiar with before Milan (Bonucci, Conti, Kessie. RR at Wolfsburg but he failed).

All other players have achieved their modicum of success in 4-man variants. Success they are clearly unable to replicate in 3 man systems.

Milan shares absolutely no characteristic familiar with successful (semi-successful) 3 man systems like Chelsea or Juve - strong, fast, physical wing backs and wingers, proper regista and holding midfielders, competent target man.

I mean, we did change our "well" suited system 21 times in 21 games and the only position we settled on was Borini should be right wing back.

Gattuso played 3-4-3 with the teams he coached. Biglia has experience with 3 at the back too.

I would´t mind going back to 4-3-3 as I always liked that system. It´s funny how the majority of the forum hated on it and wished for 3 at the back. Now going back to 4 at the back will not solve our problems like 3 at the back did not when everybody cried for it.
Old 03-12-2017, 22:45   #2790
Casualista
Monsieur

Quote:
Originally Posted by milanator View Post
Gattuso played 3-4-3 with the teams he coached. Biglia has experience with 3 at the back too.

I would´t mind going back to 4-3-3 as I always liked that system. It´s funny how the majority of the forum hated on it and wished for 3 at the back. Now going back to 4 at the back will not solve our problems like 3 at the back did not when everybody cried for it.
If biglia had worked out then this system would be worth giving a shot. But it's clear he is clueless and with conti's injury it's more incentive to drop the system.

Change to a 3 man on a full time basis was knee jerk caused by lazio loss, anyway. Which was more down to Calabria than formation. Obviously, the system was probably in the pipeline the moment bonucci was bought but it was clearly premature to be implementing it in the league.

And pretty much every game since has been a testament to the fact that we can't play 3 at the back.

4-3-3 is the way to go. Unfortunately, it means seeing abate again .. But it is what it is ..

Last edited by Casualista; 03-12-2017 at 22:49.
Old 03-12-2017, 22:47   #2791
mleite
World Cup Winner

Fav. Players: Kaká, Montolivo, Romagnoli🌟, Suso, Bonaventura, Locatelli

Wrongful red, why didn't the ref use VAR?!

Signature
Forza Milan! ❤️
mleite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 23:32   #2792
Mexes5
World Cup Winner

Fav. Players: Nesta, Seedorf, Gattuso, Kaka, Inzaghi, Shevchenko, Mexes, Pato, Pazzini

He's still my boy
Mexes5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 23:34   #2793
mleite
World Cup Winner

Fav. Players: Kaká, Montolivo, Romagnoli🌟, Suso, Bonaventura, Locatelli

First yellow was soft too!

Signature
Forza Milan! ❤️
mleite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 06:06   #2794
necromancer
Defence of Champions

Quote:
Alright, I am convinced.

You are perhaps unaware that Zapata had his best phase of his career, and was one of the best in the league, playing in a 3-man.

RicRod is the only one who isn't appropriate for the 3-5-2 in fact. Romagnoli, Bonucci, Zapata and Conti are all well suited for it.

Signature
Old 04-12-2017, 08:52   #2795
Casualista
Monsieur

Quote:
You are perhaps unaware that Zapata had his best phase of his career, and was one of the best in the league, playing in a 3-man.

RicRod is the only one who isn't appropriate for the 3-5-2 in fact. Romagnoli, Bonucci, Zapata and Conti are all well suited for it.
I think you are unaware that :
1) if a formation suits our players it should suit more people than our defenders.
2) especially if one of those defenders isn't a starter and the other is injured.
3) when has romagnoli performed well in a 3 man? Please dont respond italy.

It's really an open and shut case that Milan are incapable of playing 3 at the back with their current line up. No wingers, no proper wing backs, overrun midfield which can't hold possession of the ball exposing our technically naive cbs, no real wingers who know how to create width and stretch plays, no reliable target man, no capable dm.

At least in a 4 man the midfield is packed enough to protect our cbs and wing backs, and our wingers don't need to play out of character.

But there really isn't any point going into excruciating detail here. Our well suited system literally got exposed by the worst team in serie A history.

Last edited by Casualista; 04-12-2017 at 08:57.
Old 04-12-2017, 11:42   #2796
necromancer
Defence of Champions

I think you missed the last month of football. We were visibly improving in defense since Bonucci came back from his suspension, and all were playing fairly well. Our problems were almost entirely offensive.

Yesterday's match of course was a disastrous reversal of this.

Signature
Old 04-12-2017, 12:40   #2797
Casualista
Monsieur

I think you missed last week where we sacked a coach.
Old 04-12-2017, 12:59   #2798
forward
AC Milan Icon

Quote:

A 3 men defense isn't just about defenders, it's about midfield as well.
We managed to upgrade some players, but overall our midfield is worse than last year.

We fail to protect the defense in the center, and on the wings we keep getting caught out of position and our 3 defenders stretched are exposed like fuck.

Like I said in the match thread, we changed way too much tactically for no apparent reason.
Last year our team worked in many ways.
We threw out everything we had last year and started from scratch.

Signature

Last edited by forward; 04-12-2017 at 13:04.
forward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 13:50   #2799
necromancer
Defence of Champions

You guys are putting too much emphasis on the formation. When season started, I didn't want us to move to a 3-man defence, because to me that was not a priority. The important thing was to get the basic tactics right which would allow us to score goals. The off-the-ball stuff which we've been lacking in for years now. Then Montella moved to a 3-5-2 and now the players seem used to it. And again, it's not a priority for me to change the formation. The impact of formations have been really over-rated in football discussions nowadays.

What is important is that we are still not doing anything off-the-ball, we still do not have 2-3 players who are guarantees in front of the goal. Unless we fix these issues, nothing will change no matter how many times you change the formation. And no, changing the formation is not a way to fix these issues. These issues have to do with mentality and effort and need a manager who can drill down the message to the players that we aren't gonna get anywhere unless we put in a lot of effort when we don't have the ball.

Quote:
After 15 rounds, Milan have ran 105,499 Km in Serie A, occupying the 19th place. Only Torino have ran less (104,740 Km)

Signature
Old 08-12-2017, 00:15   #2800
Sage
Reinmēkā

Quote:
Originally Posted by forward View Post

"Thankfully" we will play the next two matches without Ale.
So, we will see how our defense holds up without him.

Signature
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote