Week 23: Milan - Inter 21/02/2021 15:00 CET

Il grande Milan

Honey, I'm home
Reaction score
Leao should start because we don't need Theo to run upfront everytime. The winner team will be the most tactically disciplined one. No improvisation needed

Rebic will have some minutes in the second half and I am sure we will already be ahead.

Weird strategy.. what do you think hakimi has to do when Theo is upfront the whole time throwing crosses or trying to score? Lay low and let us attack with a +1? What do you think hakimi will do if Theo just sticks in the back? Would be the easiest game for him and the most dangerous for us. He shouldn't play naive but he definitely needs to attack as usual

drobeck

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
Bennacer missing is a blessing in disguise, its gonna take time for him to get back into form based on his last couple of games before injury.

Tonali is looking more solid by the game so here is his chance to take starting position.

On the Leao vs Rebic debate. Our pressing game is does a lot better with Rebic so based on that I would go with Rebic. But he needs to be sharp and not sloppy.

Also glad to have Diaz back gives us a different option off the bench in case game plan isn't working.

If he was a bit more fit i would have started him along hakan on the right side.

MilanMB

Serendipity
Reaction score
honestly dont care about the result.
All i care is to see a team , win or lose.
I dont think tomorrow's result will decide our season , but how we play will.

+1

Raghav

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Sheva, Kaka, Nesta, Pirlo, R9, Dinho
Need you on top form today Theo! Forza Milan!

Paguma Larvata

Milan Icon
Reaction score
I am already shitting bricks! This game will define our season. I hope the team is focused and ready for this. Honestly, i want a solid win, but a draw will be an acceptable result. A loss will be disaster.

Nestafan

Long Hair > Mohawk
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Antonini, Crespo, Pirlo, Pippo, Kaka. Ibra, Gabbia, Calabria, Tonali, Mike, Kjaer, Tata, Oli
Big performance from Hakan will be crucial i believe

Massaro94

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maradona-Shevchenko-Zizou
Screenshot-20210221-055618-Facebook.jpg

yonggoh

Smoker
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Kaka, Nesta, Pirlo, Gourcuff, Oddo, Maldini
I’ll take a draw given the form of both sides entering the duel.

Goodfella

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Football in 1974.

It's worse than an outdated view of football.

I don't want Rebic to start just because he's better defensively. He's better all around. A better LW choice than Leao even if we had Maldini at LB.

The pressing is better organized and more intense which benefits us in both phases. A lot of our chances and goals have come from successful high pressure and interceptions in the final third. We get pinned back when our high and mid press isn't working - and this often happens when Leao starts at LW.

Ante accommodates Theo. He makes more and better off-ball runs than Leao. He's also better at taking advantage of Ibra's aerial game and holdup play, and at exploiting the space left by him.

With Leao you don't know what you'll get, other than half-assed counterproductive pressing and random positioning.
Sometimes he makes the right runs and receives the ball in the right positions and takes the right decisions.
But when he's not, he drags the whole team down with him. It's all or nothing with him.

Rebic is more likely to make a poor touch or to miss a sitter, but it's not as devastating when it happens, because he beats his marker more regularly, we retrieve the ball quicker with him, the movement of the front 4 is more synchronized and the transitions to attack is much more consistent. Also, part of the reason why he gives away the ball so often in the final third is because he attempts a lot of difficult moves, which fails half the time but when it works we have a clear chance at goal. The risks are lower than the potential reward.

Goodfella

Milan Legend
Reaction score
1974 football or not, thats how I see it :

Rebic on the pitch is requiring Theo to be on full attack mode -> You have to deal with exposition at the back. Kessie has to be very cautious.

Leao on the pitch -> Theo has to release the ball quickly and we rely on Leao creativity and efficiency on the left wing. Kessie can look forward and an inspired Hakan will probably score also.

Anyway I trust Padre eye. Forza Milan

Why is Rebic requiring Theo to be on full attack mode?
Why are you viewing Rebic as merely a defender on the left wing?

He has scored 16 goals and made 12 assists since last January.
He's our 2nd most reliable goalscorer, and a key player in attack.
A much better attacker and defender than Leao at this point in their careers.

Theo becomes a huge liability when he feels that he has to save the day, and it often comes to that point when the high press isn't working, the counter-attacks aren't working and the team is lacking cohesion in attack. You know, the stuff that is happening far too often when Leao starts at LW.

If we look at Theo's worst moments this season, none of it coincided with a start for Rebic.
Inter. Lille. Juve. Atalanta.
Bologna, after Rebic(and Leao) were taken off.
Spezia.
He fucked up, and there was no one on the left flank to bail him out.
And a major reason why he fucks up is because he cuts in to dribble and dribble until he gets dispossessed, whereas with Rebic he usually seeks a 1-2 early and rarely cuts into the crowded middle.

Last edited:

Pingu

American Calcio Milan
Stream Guru
Reaction score
Haven't been this nervous for a match in a long time. Won't go as far to say that this decides the Scudetto in any teams favor, i.e. Inter 4 points clear if we lose means it's over, or if we win then the race is back on etc, but it's an important game.

I don't like the posts here saying they don't care about the result and want to just see a team. I fully understand wanting to see that, but we're AC Milan fans. We should ALWAYS want our team to win. Every time. We want to beat Inter, show the league before arguably our toughest run of fixtures that we aren't in a downward spiral of form. Make a statement, get back to the top of the table. Let's win this.

Goodfella

Milan Legend
Reaction score
I have a strong feeling Tonali will score the winner and things will go wild when Milan fan boy finishes the game

Bennacer's terrible performances in the last games and Meite's slow-paced, low intensity game has made me really appreciate Tonali.

Mr. Milanista

Milanista since Birth
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Nesta, Zidane, Figo, Romagnoli
Fuck so nervous

Dai ragazzi!!!!! Dai ragazzi!!! DAI RAGAZZZIIIIII!!!

Mr. Milanista

Milanista since Birth
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Nesta, Zidane, Figo, Romagnoli
Lets hope Saelemakers gets back to his usual self. He raped that right flank last time we met.

mrki

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
maldini, pippo, boban
I hope but Im not very optimistic today.

Dai ragazzi!

Neo'82

Always On Point
Reaction score
We just need two big/winning performances back to back and top 4 is pretty much a certainty.

Unfortunately, the timing of the Derby favors Inter and their current momentum. Huge two games for Pioli starting today. Sperare il meglio.

kakajd

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta Pato Pippo Kaka Ronaldinho Montolivo Abate C.Ronaldo Ibra
too many ways we could line up, with players all coming back from injury, or adjusting to the team

would i like to see Kjaer Tomori? Yes.
But in a game where we already have forced changes, it wont happen.

Kessie, Theo and Ibra will need to be on top form.

Leao, Rebic, Tonali and Calabria will also be essential.

Saele should be a sub, as he offers zero going forward.
Perfect RB sub for Calabria when we need IMO.

I hope for a real performance, and Ibra to settle it early.

Lets go boys.

Itll be a long 90 mins, but lets hope we come out on top, and back to the serie a summit.

Charbel

"Il Capitano"
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, L.Ronaldo, Nesta, Ambrosini
Can we calm on the Tonali hype ? He had a decent game, nothing spectacular against a normal side.

Goodfella

Milan Legend
Reaction score
OFFICIAL Milan XI vs. Inter:

Donnarumma; Calabria, Kjaer, Romagnoli, Theo; Kessie, Tonali; Saelemaekers, Calhanoglu, Rebic; Ibrahimovic

Schedule