2010 African Cup of Nations

crazy4milan

Exotic Stevie G
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini,Weah,Nesta,Dida
Update: Togo official said that the driver was killed and 4 others were injured. (sky sports news)
Awful news :(. May the driver RIP and hopefully the injured ones can recover.

Az.

Se7en
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini,Shevchenko, Rui Costa, Gattuso, Pippo, Nesta, Ambrosini,Seedorf, Billy,Kaka,Beckham,Zlatan
"Players injured" after shots fired on Togo team bus

The Togo national team bus has been machine-gunned by Angolan rebels on the Congolese border ahead of the African Cup of Nations, it has been reported in L'Equipe.

The Sparrow Hawks are in the country ahead of the African Nations Cup, which gets under way on Sunday.

Two Togo players and the bus driver are reported to have been injured. "I am fine but several players are in a bad way," Nantes striker Thomas Dossevi told Radio Monte Carlo.

"We are still at hospital. We were attacked like dogs and had to hide for 20 minutes under the seats to avoid the bullets."

Togo were due to get their Cup of Nations campaign underway against Ghana on January 11. Dossevi is also said that the team no longer wanted to play at the tournament.
espn

Update: Togo official said that the driver was killed and 4 others were injured. (sky sports news)

My condolences to the driver's family and I hope the injured can recover quickly.

Savages :head:

R.I.P & hope the rest are not injured that badly.

Pedro

iedereen is gek
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Paolo Maldini & Marc-André ter Stegen
what a sick world :cry:

KujaIX

Mexes & Muntari fanboy
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Current team
terrible news, i wish the players a speedy recovery and that the driver R.I.P

IMO, setting the tournament in Angola was a terrible idea, the country's been in a civil war for ages and although it has ended, there are still rebels running about shooting everything and landmines everywhere. also planning t play quite a few matches in an area totally controlled by rebels is also a shocking idea.

2 players, the GK and a defender who plays in the Romanian league are both seriously injured with the former being shot in the kidneys. :head:

I generally fear for all the players and people in the tournament, as this incident shows how dangerous Angola is and how dangerous most war-torn countires are.

i bet most nations will pull out now, i just hope nobody else gets hurt.

Last edited:

Senatore_M84

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Clarence Clyde Seedorf
jesus, i didnt notice that article lisa posted when i posted mine. Just read headline on news and come here...

awful! simply awful

Australiano1980

Empire of Brazil
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Van Basten, Savicevic, Gullit, Maldini, Romario, Zidane, Suker, Litmanen, Redondo
i cant believe this.. what a tragedy.

drucurl

Banned
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Ronaldo, Maldini, Nesta, Kaká, Ba, Silva
Hopefully G strapped up Adiyah with a vest & gat :cool:

RIP driver and speedy recovery players. Feel silly typing as kind words = 0 help :(

Jasper

Maldini tier
Reaction score
Fav. Players
3; Marat Safin; Tiziano Crudeli; 2Pac; Christian Bale; Martin M??rsepp; Balotelli.
Africa :head:

Call it off!

GreatKalu

I still believe!
Reaction score
terrible news, i wish the players a speedy recovery and that the driver R.I.P

IMO, setting the tournament in Angola was a terrible idea, the country's been in a civil war for ages and although it has ended, there are still rebels running about shooting everything and landmines everywhere. also planning t play quite a few matches in an area totally controlled by rebels is also a shocking idea.

2 players, the GK and a defender who plays in the Romanian league are both seriously injured with the former being shot in the kidneys. :head:

I generally fear for all the players and people in the tournament, as this incident shows how dangerous Angola is and how dangerous most war-torn countires are.

i bet most nations will pull out now, i just hope nobody else gets hurt.

It was a shock to me at first. DRC, Angola, Mozambique and now Zimbabwe are the surrounding countries I've never been to for that particular reason (I've been to Zimbabwe numerous times, but this was before Mugabe went psycho). There are a bunch of refugees from these countries settled in Zambia, and I've heard sick stories.

This surely is an embarrassing development for CAF, and one that the should have taken precautionary measures against. I thought Angola had settled by now ... and that their economy (booming with oil and diamonds) was enough to settle the masses. Unfortunately that obviously isn't the case.

Best wishes to the Togo NT and hopefully this massive setback doesn't ruin the tournament, and more importantly, RSA 2010.

----

In other news:

Nigeria, Zambia play 0-0

There was no victor no vanquished in In a pré Orange Africa Cup of Nations C friendly match between the national teams of Zâmbia and Nigéria played under closed doors at ABSA Stadium in Durban.

Post match echoes gathered after the match ,confirm that the two teams who confronted each other in the 1994 final in Tunisia, played a match that had all the qualities of a great encounter.

The starting line up was also an indication of the formation that will prosecute the nations cup for both countries.

On Zambias part, coach Herve Renard put together a highly attacking formation, with three attackers, James Chamanga, Jacob Mulenga and Chris Katongo.

Shuaib Amodu, on his part surprised many by lining out a 4-2-4 formation, a system he modified in the second half when he brought in Nwankwo Kanu.

The inclusion of Kanu changed things around positively and coach Amodu was all praise for the ageless star. “ he is incredible. He just came in and changed the game around” he said. This view was shared by Kalusha Bwalya, president of the Zambian Football Federation. “ Nigeria took control in the second half” he said.

This match marks the end of preparations for Nigeria while next Saturday,Zambia will play a South Korea that has come to have a feel of South African turf before the World Cup in June.

-----

Ivory Coast struggle to beat Rwanda 2-0

Skipper Didier Drogba’s Ivory Coast side needed the last five minutes to beat Rwanda 2-0 in an International build-up game played on Thursday evening at the National stadium in Dar es Saalam.

On Monday, the Ivory Coast team who leave for the 2010 Africa Cup of Nations tournament today beat hosts Tanzania 1-0, courtesy of a Drogba goal.

Although Rwanda’s Amavubi were always on the back foot dealing with relentless pressure, they defended well in numbers. The most serious was when they survived a Salomon Kalou shot that was kept off by the upright in the 20th minute.

Rwanda cracked in the 85th minute when Souleyman Bamba converted with a header, the first of two goals scored in similar manner from corners.

Brou Angova got the second in the 90th minute beating Rwanda’s second choice goalkeeper Jean Luc Ndayishimiye alias Bakame.

The score line could have been a lot worse had it not been for a top notch performance from Amavubi’s first choice goalkeeper Jean Claude Ndoli in the first half. The APR shot stopper twice denied Ivory Coast’s skipper Didier Drogba and Bakary Kone.

Unlike in last Monday's game when Cote d’Ivoire pulled out virtually all the starters, including skipper Drogba, at the beginning of the second half, the tourists maintained almost the entire starting XI throughout the game. Apparently because of going scoreless for so long, they kept on Drogba -- a man they had indicated that he needed pretty of rest -- until the 75th minute apparently after it seemed goals would never come anyway.

Amavubi, the 2009 Cecafa Senior Challenge Cup runners-up however had chances of their own but couldn’t convert them with Abbas Rassou failing to hit the target with only the keeper to beat.

Sasha

The UNBANNABLE One
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Azzurri e Rossoneri
Unnecessary tragedy. :(

Dwa Milan

Milan Per Sempre
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Dejan Savicevic, Pirlo, Kaka,zambrotta,rui costa,sandro nesta,gourcuff, Marco Simone
such a horrible news.... another violence in football :head::head::cry:

Az.

Se7en
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini,Shevchenko, Rui Costa, Gattuso, Pippo, Nesta, Ambrosini,Seedorf, Billy,Kaka,Beckham,Zlatan
BREAKING NEWS: Goalkeeper, Assistant Coach And Press Officer Reported Dead After Togo Bus Shooting
The total body count has risen to four...

The Togo bus shooting in Cabinda has left three more dead, according to various French sources. In addition to the so far unnamed local bus driver who perished on Friday, assistant coach Abalo Amelete, press officer Stanislas Ocloo, and reserve goalkeeper Kodjovi Obilale are said to have passed away.

Obilale, a 25-year-old who represented French amateur side GSI Pontivy, was one of two players reported to have suffered gunshot wounds during the Friday attack. He has apparently not survived his injuries, although this is not fully confirmed

Pontivy coach Alain Le Dour told L'Equipe, "We were called and told this information, but it is not yet formal.

"It's difficult to get precise information. Yesterday we didn't know where he'd been shot. Then we heard he'd been operated upon successfully and there was talk of his being transferred to South Africa. But officially we don't know anything else."

The other player shot was was 22-year-old centre-back Serge Akakpo of Romania's FC Vaslui. He underwent surgery on Friday and is thought to be recovering.

Official details have yet to be disclosed regarding the fates of the assistant coach and the press officer, but it is thought that they died before Obilale, making a total of four deaths.

The Sparrow Hawks are said to be preparing to return to Lome, the Togolese capital, having abandoned the African Cup of Nations tournament.

Reports indicate that prior to leaving the country, the Togolese delegation have been attempting to persuade Ghana and the Ivory Coast - two other teams based in the breakaway province of Cabinda - to quit the competition.

Nonetheless the African Cup of Nations itself is still set to go ahead, starting with tomorrow's opening match between Angola and Mali.

http://www.goal.com/en/news/815/afr...-goalkeeper-assistant-coach-and-press-officer

So one more innocent person killed ..this competition should get canceled ASAP.Dont understand how can they cancel matches for poor weather conditions like a little snow,yet they let matches go when there`s war in the streets .

KujaIX

Mexes & Muntari fanboy
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Current team
what a shame.

i really hope that the competition is called off, i fear for the safety of all the players.

it was a really bad decision having angola host the tournament.

Pedro

iedereen is gek
Reaction score
Fav. Players
I wonder how anyone still can think about football when something like that happens.

saby

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
they still have a couple games scheduled to take place in cabinda right? i can't beleive they wouldn't move the games to some other city. it's like they're asking for more violence. i'm afraid of what else the seperatists might decide to do. by not pulling out, it's like they're telling the rebels that we're not going to take you seriously, it might make them demonstrate further. it's scary, i wuldn't want to stay there.

Jasper

Maldini tier
Reaction score
Fav. Players
3; Marat Safin; Tiziano Crudeli; 2Pac; Christian Bale; Martin M??rsepp; Balotelli.
During our game Angola-Mali was on too. Angola lead 4-0 but the game ended 4-4. Africa :cool:

KujaIX

Mexes & Muntari fanboy
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Current team
when do ghana play and is adiyiah likely to play for them.

ReMad

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
civflag.gif
vs1gp0d.gif
bfaflag.gif

Ivory Coast vs Burkina Faso

African Cup | Groups Stage 1st Leg | Jan 11,2010 | 18 GMT

JSC SPORTS - Ara. Comm. - 1150 KBPS - 320*240 - flv

Highlights

First Half Highlights : Ivory Coast 0-0 Burkina Faso
Click Here for Video

Second Half Highlights : Ivory Coast 0-0 Burkina Faso
Click Here for Video

Milanista_7

#UCLDNA
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Nesta, T.Silva, Kaka, Ronaldinho, Seedorf, Gattuso, Ibra, Romagnoli
Ivory Coast should have beaten B.faso

Jasper

Maldini tier
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Something for Storari:

Pedro

iedereen is gek
Reaction score
Fav. Players
I don't understand the link with Storari.

KujaIX

Mexes & Muntari fanboy
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Current team
I don't understand the link with Storari.

i think it's cause storari injured himself trying to do the scorpion kick, but this keeper just failed at jumping forward

Pedro

iedereen is gek
Reaction score
Fav. Players
i think it's cause storari injured himself trying to do the scorpion kick, but this keeper just failed at jumping forward

Ooooh, so that was a scorpion kick...

Schedule