Vincenzo Montella Thread

Tadej

Banned
Reaction score
“To be honest, tonight I really was emotional. After the final whistle I saw the lads rush to celebrate under the Curva and I had memories flooding back of my adolescence, when I was a Milan supporter and dreamed of playing here.

Man i didnt know that :thumbsup::eek:

Qaas

Vi må tage det som det kommer
Reaction score
Fav. Players
KAKA, Maldini, Nesta, Dida, Inzaghi, Sheva, TSilva, R9, Raul, Casillas, Schmeichel, Messi, Zlatan
^ are you telling me that montella used to be milanista? :eek:

Soldier_of_god

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
cr7, Kaka, sheva, zidane, pastore , zlatan ibra,T.silva, jovetic, Arjen robben, drogba, suarez
What really? Hmm interesting. Btw chiellini was a milan fan. Just saying.

Mr Delicious

Banned
Reaction score
Sure Montella had a luckier start, but a that doesn't say much of what the season will be. It's not worth talking about luck after 8 games.

It's obvious that both coaches have been influential tactically, but in a different way.

First of all, Miha spent 3-4 months of his time with Milan, to choose the formation and the tactics that fit best with his players, while Montella is spending the same amount of time to make the players fit the formation and the tactical ideas that he had chosen at the beginning.

The former sometimes is more efficient, but doesn't allow a coach to fully express himself with the team. Also, the second is the best way to push the club for proper signings and to make players that are not willing to adapt to go f. themself.

Usually, all the top coaches chose the latter way. Conte was probably one of the few in recent times that earned a huge reputation with the former.

A big difference that make difficult to compare Miha and Montella, is that current Milan is a better team. Most of the player have improved in someway, the youngsters have more experience, 2015 summer signings like Kucka and Bacca have got more accustomed to the team, other players like De Sciglio and Paletta have better form.
Youre not taking into account B not pressuring the coach into using that asinine 4312 formation. Montella had so much more time compared to Miha yet Miha made the team more solid despite fiddling around with formations till saying fuck it and choosing one he thought was appropriate.

I think Miha ran the club through strict discipline. He commanded authority, but he didn't inspire confidence which i think is why the players varied in form so much last year. But that discipline helped shape Niang, Donna and Roma. Those young players NEED structure.

However, Montella imo might not be as...tactically superior as Miha but his coaching abilities are far more well rounded. He doesn't just think tactics, he thinks how this player feels and whether or not he's ready and actually makes them feel important which was what i think we really need.

I'm not saying Miha is a better coach or Montella is shit, but Montella is more well rounded and Miha is a slightly better tactician
well... maybe the truth is somewhere in between. maybe it will suit better if we say that last year in some games we were unlucky
anyway to win you need a bit of luck as well among other things

Indeed

Mr. Milanista

Milanista since Birth
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Nesta, Zidane, Figo, Romagnoli
boy, i've never been happier to be wrong about a footballer/coach/team than montella. I was COMPLETELY against him but I am completely in love with him right now. He gave this team an identity, calmness, cohesion and youth. Can't wait until the chinese gets him the players he wants. Of course, this could be something like Merda last season when they were first, but I truly have hope for the future thanks to him.

mleite

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Kaká, Montolivo, Romagnoli🌟, Suso, Bonaventura, Calhanoglu, Kessie, Cutrone, Paqueta, Bakayo
This coach .. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Jasper

Maldini tier
Reaction score
Fav. Players
3; Marat Safin; Tiziano Crudeli; 2Pac; Christian Bale; Martin M??rsepp; Balotelli.
EoT (not looks great but well)
3ljDzr.gif

Balo45

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Disagree that mihajlovic was better tactician. Montella has the team more fluid but more thought out as well. Miha took each team individually, but montella takes it a step further by approaching matches in different phases of that specific match. Chievo and juve games are excellent examples of that. He's also more willing to tweak formations and tactics during a game, whereas most coaches would just make substitutions. This has helped the team by keeping the same players on the field and building chemistry.

Miha set the foundation that montella has built on and deserves credit, he made the team more focused and harder to beat. But montella has taken it far beyond that and actually instilled confidence. Mihas job was making the team not fall apart, and not be scared of other teams. Montella has the team not just unscared, but actually confidence they can win against the best teams in the league. This team now is proactive, and attacks other teams weaknesses instead of building on our strengths.

The real test of montella will be handling the team now that we've reached a certain point. Teams won't play as aggressive against Milan as they have in the last few seasons I think. They'll approach us different. that can be good or bad.

Goodfella

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Honestly, this reminds me of Pippo's start.

I don't think we'll implode this time though.

Ragamuffin

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
We needed Miha last season. After pippo's horrible season the team had no balls or spirit. That is the single most important thing Miha instilled last season. I dont think if Montella came when the players were still pussies we would be doing this well.

They are both good coaches for sure

AC Kid

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Kaka'<3, Pato, Romagnoli, Gigio, Marco Asensio, Andre Silva
Beat Genoa or gtfo

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Maldini, Buffon, Rino*Pirlo*Clarence, Sheva, Totti, Ibra, Pippo, Giacomo, Carlo, Il Dottore
Disagree that mihajlovic was better tactician. Montella has the team more fluid but more thought out as well. Miha took each team individually, but montella takes it a step further by approaching matches in different phases of that specific match. Chievo and juve games are excellent examples of that. He's also more willing to tweak formations and tactics during a game, whereas most coaches would just make substitutions. This has helped the team by keeping the same players on the field and building chemistry.

Miha set the foundation that montella has built on and deserves credit, he made the team more focused and harder to beat. But montella has taken it far beyond that and actually instilled confidence. Mihas job was making the team not fall apart, and not be scared of other teams. Montella has the team not just unscared, but actually confidence they can win against the best teams in the league. This team now is proactive, and attacks other teams weaknesses instead of building on our strengths.

The real test of montella will be handling the team now that we've reached a certain point. Teams won't play as aggressive against Milan as they have in the last few seasons I think. They'll approach us different. that can be good or bad.

Excellent post again. Both coaches had qualities that have helped us reach this level. But if there's a question on whom I would trust to take us beyond, there's no doubt that it's Montella.

Balo45

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Montella just seems perfect for Milan. He's calm, confident, yet realistic. I have no doubt he can do well as the team grows, and isn't just here until Milan gets back on top.

I love coaches like him, ones that find a winning strategy and try to perfect that strategy, making their tweaks more on personnel or formation than changing the entire game plan. Allegri is good at that, making entire system changes on a game to game basis sometimes. But I'd prefer montella. Our philosophy will be constant, and I think it will allow the team to grow a lot

Az.

Se7en
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini,Shevchenko, Rui Costa, Gattuso, Pippo, Nesta, Ambrosini,Seedorf, Billy,Kaka,Beckham,Zlatan
Is there a gif of Motella's reaction to the goal yet?

Soldier_of_god

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
cr7, Kaka, sheva, zidane, pastore , zlatan ibra,T.silva, jovetic, Arjen robben, drogba, suarez
Amazing. his reaction was just fascinating. I cant stop staring at it lol. Shows you that he means business and that we are not to be underestimated by any opponent.

General

Official RnB Mercato Stress Counselor
Reaction score
Fav. Players
People who Try Harder, semantics aficionado

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Maldini, Buffon, Rino*Pirlo*Clarence, Sheva, Totti, Ibra, Pippo, Giacomo, Carlo, Il Dottore

Milan10

Milan Legend
Reaction score
I think this match is on Montella for benching Suso :(

There was absolutely no sense in changing the lineup that played against Juventus. This was not the time, we needed to go pedal to the metal and ride that squad through this tough weak.

Boban1982

Sempre Milan
Reaction score
I think this match is on Montella for benching Suso :(

There was absolutely no sense in changing the lineup that played against Juventus. This was not the time, we needed to go pedal to the metal and ride that squad through this tough weak.

Exactly my thoughts. Great win against Juve and then benches Suso for Honda who is shite in most games. Should never have changed the line up.

Mexes5

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Seedorf, Gattuso, Kaka, Inzaghi, Shevchenko, Mexes, Pato, Pazzini
Expect it to be like his Fiorentina side, inconsistent finishing around 5th

Qaas

Vi må tage det som det kommer
Reaction score
Fav. Players
KAKA, Maldini, Nesta, Dida, Inzaghi, Sheva, TSilva, R9, Raul, Casillas, Schmeichel, Messi, Zlatan
Should have rotated against pescara. What a bad mistake

Ronin

Milansochist
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Nesta, Gattuso, Rui Costa, Albertini, Serginho, Seedorf, Redondo, Ibrahimovic, Ronaldinho
Should have rotated against pescara. What a bad mistake

Yep. I can understand giving Suso some rest and Honda a chance, but not Poli too at the same time and not against Genoa :fp:

And the subs... benching Bacca+Niang and keeping Poli :fp:

Schedule