Week 5: Torino - Milan 26/09/19 21:00 CET

Goodfella

Milan Legend
Reaction score
He just has zero composure when he has to make a decision in the final third.

I'm not sure how much composure has to do with the two most irritating things about him in the final third.

One of them is the selfishness. If he's in or near the box then he's going to try to fire off a shot someway somehow, even if it's from an extremely poor angle and there are teammates in much better positions that he could make a simple pass to.

The other one is his horrible finishing. Horrible, horrible finishing. Which combined with his selfishness becomes extreeemely irritating. He's not just failing to score, it typically won't even result in a corner or a rebound.
You might attribute that to lack of composure, but I think it's more simply the shooting technique and anticipation that's lacking for the difficult moves he tries to pull off. Everything's done quickly, on routine. No hesitation. No switching to stronger foot. Fire off the shot quickly, or dribble past the nearest defender and shoot immediately afterwards.
This is what the deadliest finishers do as well against the best of defenses - except they have the technique to pull it off. Kessie does not. Especially not with his left foot.

Final passes that don't work out can be tolerated, but this selfishness and poor finishing combination though...............

mleite

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Kaká, Montolivo, Romagnoli🌟, Suso, Bonaventura, Calhanoglu, Kessie, Cutrone, Paqueta, Bakayo

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Maldini, Buffon, Rino*Pirlo*Clarence, Sheva, Totti, Ibra, Pippo, Giacomo, Carlo, Il Dottore
I'm not sure how much composure has to do with the two most irritating things about him in the final third.

One of them is the selfishness. If he's in or near the box then he's going to try to fire off a shot someway somehow, even if it's from an extremely poor angle and there are teammates in much better positions that he could make a simple pass to.

The other one is his horrible finishing. Horrible, horrible finishing. Which combined with his selfishness becomes extreeemely irritating. He's not just failing to score, it typically won't even result in a corner or a rebound.
You might attribute that to lack of composure, but I think it's more simply the shooting technique and anticipation that's lacking for the difficult moves he tries to pull off. Everything's done quickly, on routine. No hesitation. No switching to stronger foot. Fire off the shot quickly, or dribble past the nearest defender and shoot immediately afterwards.
This is what the deadliest finishers do as well against the best of defenses - except they have the technique to pull it off. Kessie does not. Especially not with his left foot.

Final passes that don't work out can be tolerated, but this selfishness and poor finishing combination though...............

Selfishness as a trait is needed in mezz'ali I think. These days, teams are built for these guys to get into goalscoring positions and score, not pass. So I don't mind Hakan and Kessie shooting at every opportunity they get.

In Kessie's case, it is all in the mind. Towards the latter half of matches, he loses sense of the game and has no presence of mind once he gets the ball. He does everything wrong - not just shots on goal. He misplaces passes, he does not maintain his position, he does not see open players, and he shoots well wide of goal. Running blindly back to prevent counters doesn't need presence of mind, and any primavera player with physical stamina can do that. It doesn't justify his other issues in any way.

Kessie is a 60 minute player and should only be a substitute for Milan. I hope we eventually reach the stage where we can afford to play a better RCM over him.

Boban1982

Sempre Milan
Reaction score
That's not true at all. Look at how Klopp transformed Liverpool, the very first thing he did was try to install a winning mentality in their heads, not the all magical system.

Check this interview from November 2016 with Coutinho & Firmino saying:

"The winning mentality, the coach has brought this. He emphasises it a lot," the No.10 told his compatriot Firmino during a fascinating conversation between the two featured in #LFCWORLD.

"He gives confidence to the players. I think today we believe more in our own potential and that has made us better on the field.

"Since he has arrived, the work that he implemented is his ideas. Of course, week by week, we train and practise the game according to the opponent.

"But he always asks for the same thing: hard work with a lot of dedication. It’s a team that puts a lot of pressure on the opponent and that is what he asks us to do, keeping the ball. So they are the same things."

Full interview: https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/first-team/243173-klopp-has-brought-a-winning-mentality-to-lfc

Klopp who is undoubtedly a superb coach was dealing with Firmino and Coutinho. GP has Piatek and Suso. Klopp would struggle with this team.