Week 35: Milan - Bologna 06/05/2019 20:30 CET

Pingu

American Calcio Milan
Stream Guru
Reaction score
And having players in that formation so out of form that a change won't do any good either. It's the mentality we approach this game with that will determine the outcome of the season, after the ritiro.

Tobinho

Decisive Hours
Reaction score
Our issues have nothing to do with the formation. It's everything to do with players not doing what they should be doing within that formation.

Okay. But then persisting with the same players in the same positions not doing what they should doesn't make sense.

Dropping a player who is doing what he should be doing in the formation doesn't make sense.

Not putting players in positions where they can do what they're supposed to doesn't make sense.

Hitchens

In flux
New Era Vanguard
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Tier 1: Maldini, Nesta - Tier 2: Kaká, Seedorf, Shevchenko, Serginho, Theo, Leao, Ibrahimovic
Okay. But then persisting with the same players in the same positions not doing what they should doesn't make sense..

This is the crux for me. I'm sick of reading armchair quarterback analysis and arrogance towards Gattuso in here. I place the blame more on the players than the coach, but that's me. Maybe it's because I've actually played football myself.

My main frustration is the repeated trust shown towards players who don't deserve it. The problem is that we have shit depth. I don't think Gattuso is a tactical mastermind, but when players who are supposed to win games and get us out of tough spots are a million miles away mentally they should be shown the fucking door. Bags will be sent with delivery.

Pingu

American Calcio Milan
Stream Guru
Reaction score
My main frustration is the repeated trust shown towards players who don't deserve it. The problem is that we have shit depth.

This is my shared frustration. Suso starts most games because he *can* create something from nothing, but he's so out of form those chances are less than Borini scoring goal of the season at this point.

Samu has shown at RW he can do much more than Suso, just not at LW. Samu had a few starts where he did great and just got benched again. Really instead he should've remained starting.

He has 4 goals, 2 assists in less than 1,000 minutes which is decent. Suso has 5 goals, 8 assists in 2,600+ in Serie A. And that is mostly from the first half of the season in form. If you look since December it's what, 1 goal and 1 assist? Samu has 3 goals 2 assists in the same period playing 90 mins THREE times.

Ronin

Milansochist
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Nesta, Gattuso, Rui Costa, Albertini, Serginho, Seedorf, Redondo, Ibrahimovic, Ronaldinho
I expect a 3-1 win. Suso with a goal and an assist for Piatek, Hakan with an overhead kick from 30m to seal the deal and prove the haters wrong.

Mr. Milanista

Milanista since Birth
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Nesta, Zidane, Figo, Romagnoli
I expect a 3-1 win. Suso with a goal and an assist for Piatek, Hakan with an overhead kick from 30m to seal the deal and prove the haters wrong.

That would be something indeed

brk

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Our issues have nothing to do with the formation. It's everything to do with players not doing what they should be doing within that formation.

Of course, but knowing the mentality of the players and how easily the opposition keeps nullifying our only threat in a 433, wouldn’t it be better to try something more unpredictable like Piatek and Cutrone ahead of Paqueta? All things being equal i’d rather we attack unpredictably and clumsily instead of Suso cut inside and try to cross to Piatek surrounded by giants over and over again.

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Maldini, Buffon, Rino*Pirlo*Clarence, Sheva, Totti, Ibra, Pippo, Giacomo, Carlo, Il Dottore
Of course, but knowing the mentality of the players and how easily the opposition keeps nullifying our only threat in a 433, wouldn’t it be better to try something more unpredictable like Piatek and Cutrone ahead of Paqueta? All things being equal i’d rather we attack unpredictably and clumsily instead of Suso cut inside and try to cross to Piatek surrounded by giants over and over again.

I'm assuming they have tested the 4-3-1-2 in training and it just isn't working out.

If the players play the 4-3-3 the way they've done in certain matches this season, attack is not just going to be Suso cutting in and crossing. It's a far more potent playing style than that.

The players need to wake up, and I hope the ritiro has made them do that.

Ronin

Milansochist
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Nesta, Gattuso, Rui Costa, Albertini, Serginho, Seedorf, Redondo, Ibrahimovic, Ronaldinho
Paqueta behind the strikers might get easily wasted by having a LB with a wooden leg and Abate on the other side + Baka and Kessie in midfield. Close on Paq and it's game over, coz nobody else will create anything.

With the 4-2-3-1 I guess will try to use width and Biglia's long passes, while also having the option to play vertically to Paqueta.

The formation is OK, as could any other be. It all depends if the players will execute coach's ideas. Gattuso might not be a mastermind, but many of the games we've lost because players clearly failed to deliver on the plan.

Moggster

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Robben, Zidane, Ibra, Nesta, Ronaldinho
Paqueta behind the strikers might get easily wasted by having a LB with a wooden leg and Abate on the other side + Baka and Kessie in midfield. Close on Paq and it's game over, coz nobody else will create anything.

With the 4-2-3-1 I guess will try to use width and Biglia's long passes, while also having the option to play vertically to Paqueta.

The formation is OK, as could any other be. It all depends if the players will execute coach's ideas. Gattuso might not be a mastermind, but many of the games we've lost because players clearly failed to deliver on the plan.

Doesn't matter, Just put both CBs on Piatek and we will not get a chance on goal for 93 min. Everyone knows that. The two wasteful ballhogging snails Suso and Hakan aren't gonna do shit.

Buske

Milan Legend
Reaction score
This is the crux for me. I'm sick of reading armchair quarterback analysis and arrogance towards Gattuso in here. I place the blame more on the players than the coach, but that's me. Maybe it's because I've actually played football myself.

My main frustration is the repeated trust shown towards players who don't deserve it. The problem is that we have shit depth. I don't think Gattuso is a tactical mastermind, but when players who are supposed to win games and get us out of tough spots are a million miles away mentally they should be shown the fucking door. Bags will be sent with delivery.

:thumbsup::star:

Well its Gattuso's choice to make. 4-3-3 is what got us to 4th place though so there is that. Can't actually blame him for playing formation that we are most used to. Although he should have changed it way earlier, but thats another story.
Then SUso/Hakan form went to serie C lvl and Piatek stopped scoring out of nowhere

Goodfella

Milan Legend
Reaction score
4-3-3 is fine.

Starting Suso is not fine.

But Rino wasn't going to change now.
He picked Suso as his guy and he's going to stick with him until death.
He's living by the commode rules.

Bird

Haven't you heard?
Reaction score
What's the point?
The CL race is over.
Might as well just lose on purpose to avoid EL injuries.

A win tonight will only provide you with false hope and prolong the misery.
I couldn't care any less about this game but it won't stop me from watching the game.

Thenebra

Milan Legend
Reaction score
What's the point?
The CL race is over.
Might as well just lose on purpose to avoid EL injuries.

A win tonight will only provide you with false hope and prolong the misery.
I couldn't care any less about this game but it won't stop me from watching the game.
Opposite for me.

Once we are out of cl race will stop watching.

VooDooDoll

))<>((
Reaction score
hope today lights will be turned off on SS so true milan fans wont have to watch the game.

Hitchens

In flux
New Era Vanguard
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Tier 1: Maldini, Nesta - Tier 2: Kaká, Seedorf, Shevchenko, Serginho, Theo, Leao, Ibrahimovic
Not many hours away. I hope the players are fired the fuck up!

I want to see fluid transitions today, with high tempo in our overall game. I expect us to win the ball back quickly and attack towards goal. Hopefully ritiro has shaken up the players somewhat and that they'll play like possessed. We need it!

I want to be able to say "One down, three to go" with a smile on my face tonight.

Forza Milan!

Pingu

American Calcio Milan
Stream Guru
Reaction score
I want to see victory. And not just a lucky somehow grabbed a win, win. But a stomp.

Hitchens

In flux
New Era Vanguard
Reaction score
Fav. Players
I want to see victory. And not just a lucky somehow grabbed a win, win. But a stomp.

A deserved 4-0 would do. A confidence boosting win.

Pingu

American Calcio Milan
Stream Guru
Reaction score
D55kbWDW0AAY6-w.jpg

Milan bench: Reina, A. Donnarumma, Conti, Laxalt, Bakayoko, Bertolacci, Mauri, Borini, Castillejo, Cutrone.

Bologna: Skorupski, M. Dijks, Lyanco, Danilo, Calabresi, Poli, Pulgar, Svanberg, Sansone, Orsolini, Palacio

Last edited:

Pingu

American Calcio Milan
Stream Guru
Reaction score
I see this moving to a 4231 in attack.

Piatek with Hakan and Suso eitther side, Piatek ahead of them.

===

A match-up against Sinisa with Poli starting :) Who is better, current Milan, or some fodder incl. Palacio the King Fodder?

Last edited:

Az.

Se7en
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini,Shevchenko, Rui Costa, Gattuso, Pippo, Nesta, Ambrosini,Seedorf, Billy,Kaka,Beckham,Zlatan
Suso and Hakan as wingers, that means zero fucking service for Piatek, unless Paqueta pulls off a magic pass or two.

Thenebra

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Legend says that poli is still full of energy

Ronin

Milansochist
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Andrea Poli this season - 3 goals 1 Assist
Lucas Paquetá - 1 goal 1 Assist

:monto: