Cristian Zapata Thread

Senatore_M84

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Clarence Clyde Seedorf
old but interesting for those who barely seen him-
http://www.whoscored.com/Blog/ioqax...’s-Ideal-Defensive-Partner-at-Manchester-City

Cristian Zapata - Vincent Kompany’s Ideal Defensive Partner at Manchester City?
by Chris Davie at Saturday, Jun 4 2011 12:14
Share on twitter Share on facebook Share on digg Share on reddit Share on stumbleupon
With an FA Cup trophy secured, expectation is now on Roberto Mancini to deliver on a grander scale as Manchester City brace for a title challenge next season.

City arguably boasts the strongest squad depth in the Premier League, yet the club have still been linked with a host of names to improve the Italian’s side over the summer.

But in which department can Mancini strengthen?

Should Carlos Tevez remain at Eastlands, the Italian will want to build on the cohesion in his side’s attack, rather than disrupt it. Edin Dzeko still has a season to prove his worth after an uninspiring arrival in January. Mario Balotelli will need to eradicate the petulance in his game to shine on Europe’s biggest stage next season. Emmanuel Adebayor looks set to leave, but City still have a capable striker in Jo among their ranks.

In midfield, the anchor of Nigel de Jong looks assured while Yaya Toure impressed in his inaugural term in English football.

Gareth Barry remains a Mancini favourite, although his pass success rate was lower than that of the Dutchman, while his key passes per game average was less than that of the former Barcelona midfielder.

City boasted the joint-best defensive record in the Premier League last season. Having conceded 33 goals, it’s difficult to recommend Mancini bolsters his back-line, but the majority of Eastlands targets have been defenders thus far.

Mancini has the potential to ask his Dubai-based investors to find a suitable partner for Vincent Kompany at the heart of his side’s defence. The Belgian was a standout player at Eastlands this term, while both Joeleon Lescott, and Kolo Toure, before his suspension, fell slightly short of their fellow centre-back in terms of performances.

Cristian Zapata enjoyed a commanding season at Udinese, who secured fourth spot in Serie A last term. The 24-year-old was an integral part of Francesco Guidolin’s 3-5-2 system and has subsequently been linked with a move to the Premier League after a series of influential performances.

Statistically, the Colombian lines up in a similar fashion to Kompany. Zapata made on average 2.1 tackles per game, while the City defender made 2.7. The Belgian also shaded interceptions as he averaged 2.4 per game, while Zapata made 2.1.

Zapata also appears to be less rash in the tackle than Kompany, as the Udinese man committed 0.8 fouls per game on average, while City’s defender made 1.2. The two, however, share both a similar shots blocked average, with Kompany totalling 0.9, Zapata slightly less with 0.7. Their pass success rate is also alike, with Kompany again shading it with 86%, while Zapata is on 84%.

Kompany trumps Zapata on his clearances rate as the Belgian made an average of 9.1 in every league outing, while the Colombian recorded an average total of 7.9, which is also impressive when you compare that statistic with John Terry’s 5.1, or Rio Ferdinand’s 6.5.

According to Whoscored.com’s player page profile, both Zapata and Kompany share similar traits as the duo have displayed high concentration levels over the course of the season, as well as the ability to tackle with precision.

pretty superficial analysis IMO. I would say his style is very similar to Kompany though.

Congo Powers

⭐⭐
Reaction score
Fav. Players
B&G, RuiCosta, Pippo, Sheva, Stam, Kaka, Abbiati, Cassano, Mexes, TH19, RL10, KPB, 45, Krunic

my italian is a little iffy but i'm pretty sure he says that thiago silva likes boys

Congo Powers

⭐⭐
Reaction score
Fav. Players
B&G, RuiCosta, Pippo, Sheva, Stam, Kaka, Abbiati, Cassano, Mexes, TH19, RL10, KPB, 45, Krunic
ZAP3_big.jpg

Sage

Phase 3
Staff member
Reaction score

diegoyya

Primavera
Reaction score
He will be great, I'm colombian as well and I've seen him playing since he arrived to italy. Wish him the best, hope he stays.

Mario

Milan Legend
Reaction score
When will he be allowed to play? at trofeo berlusconi?

Congo Powers

⭐⭐
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Bosslord player

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Maldini, Buffon, Rino*Pirlo*Clarence, Sheva, Totti, Ibra, Pippo, Giacomo, Carlo, Il Dottore
About Zapata.

http://www.football-italia.net/23510/zapata-worthy-milan

Zapata worthy of Milan
Milan surprised many with the sudden signing of Cristian Zapata, but Dylan Fahy argues it is an extremely shrewd move.

The modern day football enthusiast has quickly become accustomed to weeks, if not months, of constant speculation and back-and-forth between respective parties before a transfer can be fully completed. That being said, when Cristian Zapata walked through the doors of Milan’s purpose built training headquarters several kilometres outside of Varese last week, followers of the game around the peninsula were thrown off guard slightly.

Milan have had a summer transfer campaign to forget following the mass exodus of legendary players last May. The Rossoneri’s concrete central defensive partnership of Alessandro Nesta and his apparent heir Thiago Silva has been shattered, with the latter’s money move to Paris Saint-Germain a particularly bitter pill to swallow for the team’s supporters.

After giving up on their pursuit of Montpellier captain Yanga-Mbiwa for the time being, Milan Vice-President Adriano Galliani and his team quickly turned their attention to capturing the Colombian. The 25-year-old completed a medical and agreed personal terms before several influential media outlets had even broken the story of a proposed move.

Zapata’s career has stalled drastically following a switch to Villarreal from Udinese last year. After beginning the 2011-12 season in the Champions League, the Yellow Submarine sank with their relegation confirmed on the final day of La Liga last term. The defender’s agent, Massimo Italiani, immediately issued a statement confirming his client would leave, with Italy an unlikely destination. Whispers from Spain suggested the player was on his way to England and the Premier League at the very start of August, with Everton and West Brom battling it out for his signature.

In desperate need of reinforcements, the 2011 Serie A champions sealed the former Friulani man on a season long loan with an option to buy him outright next June. The transfer was certainly a shrewd piece of business, perhaps even rivalling the signing of the club’s second top scorer last season – Antonio Nocerino, bought from Palermo for just €500,000.

Zapata has all the attributes of a European pedigree centre-half, with an excellent eye for an interception and an imposing aerial battler. A stalwart of the Udinese side that qualified for the Champions League two years ago, the Colombian international has a history of endurance – playing the full 90 minutes of his last 10 Villarreal matches.

One from Francesco Acerbi and Philippe Mexes are lined up to start alongside him in Milan Coach Massimiliano Allegri’s rejuvenated side, spearheaded by a youthful attack. Zapata will have to act as one of the team’s leaders from the back, despite only recently joining up with the team.

Potentially replacing Silva would be a momentous task, but the man himself is not fazed by the challenge and only time will tell what he is capable of in a Milan shirt. “Being Thiago Silva’s ‘heir’ does not weigh on me. I’m not remotely frightened of the pressure that comes with that. I’m here to prove I am worthy of Milan.”

Mario

Milan Legend
Reaction score
WOW. What a great performance in his 1st game for Milan. This guy is going to be huuuuuuuuuuuge :)

Senatore_M84

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Clarence Clyde Seedorf
said it when we got him, but i think he'll be a coup.

He's a good defender. Had a poor season in spain, but among non-big name star CBs, he's one of my favs in terms of ability to be that eventually/

KujaIX

Mexes & Muntari fanboy
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Current team
Faded a little, but the whole team did.

Looks great.

yagami7gnr

Milan Legend
Reaction score
He looked ok. Great pace; however, in follow-ups and positioning he can be average. Needs to work on it.

Sven

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
He looked ok. Great pace; however, in follow-ups and positioning he can be average. Needs to work on it.

Reminds me a bit of Thiago Silva when he arrived.

I can see why he was paired with Yepes (aside the obvious Colombian nationalism). Mario was picking attackers high up the pitch. Gonna be Zapata + a man marker by now.

Elio

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Rui Costa. Ibrahimovic. Nocerino. Prince. Robinho. El Shaarawy. Honda
Zapata impressed me tonight; he looked comfortable at the back with Yepes. I can see him becoming a very good player in the future but still early.

Schedule