Zinedine Zidane Thread

Nestafan

Long Hair > Mohawk
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Antonini, Crespo, Pirlo, Pippo, Kaka. Ibra, Gabbia, Calabria, Tonali, Mike, Kjaer, Tata, Oli
Zidane is up there with the greatest ever. Him and Ronaldo are the only ones from the modern era to reach that level.

Messi is approaching it.

Nestafan

Long Hair > Mohawk
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Antonini, Crespo, Pirlo, Pippo, Kaka. Ibra, Gabbia, Calabria, Tonali, Mike, Kjaer, Tata, Oli
:thumbsdown:

Prove himself outside Barca then we will talk

Put anyone else in his position in the team, and they wouldn't perform at the same level.

Nestafan

Long Hair > Mohawk
Reaction score
Fav. Players
I will choose to ignore this comment as I'm not interested in this discussion, because I don't think it's even worthy of consideration.

Do you watch football?

Dominate

Genius
Reaction score
Fav. Players
RIP Totti
Messi can win all the trophies in the world

but for me

Ronaldo and Zidane >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Messi

Maybe not that extent but you get the idea

Sage

Phase 3
Staff member
Reaction score
Messi gets underrated because of the team he is in, but people don't understand how many games he has decided for barcelona and the amount of times he has destroyed madrid by himself, and the fact that he really is a complete football player, a true genius.

Barcelona are a fantastic team, but messi takes them to another level, and unlike cristiano he isn't a big game choker.

and whoever brings up that inter game needs to get slapped by seedorf's dick

Christian

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Costacurta, Seedorf, Albertini, Inzaghi, SES, Montolivo etc.
Agree with Sage

Yoshi

ahmedwuzhere
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Ronaldo(R9), El Shaarawy, Nesta, Neymar, Montolivo, Maldini, Dinho, De Sciglio, Iniesta, Pato
When Messi leads Argentina to a WC title, then he can be up there.

Senatore_M84

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Clarence Clyde Seedorf
Messi gets underrated because of the team he is in, but people don't understand how many games he has decided for barcelona and the amount of times he has destroyed madrid by himself, and the fact that he really is a complete football player, a true genius.

Barcelona are a fantastic team, but messi takes them to another level, and unlike cristiano he isn't a big game choker.

and whoever brings up that inter game needs to get slapped by seedorf's dick

Probably true, though "Ronaldo being a big game choker" is overrated too. He performed pretty consistently in big games for man utd.

However Australiano is totally right (I Think he said something to the effect). Messi with barca is 1 of best I've seen, on par with anything Zidane or Ronaldo did.

Messi with argentina is questionable to start over di maria or lavezzi. He's been nothing short of average. Performed agains a u22 CR side, random small teams and generally looks out of his element against any half-decent south american side.

So it's fair to say 'he's not their yet' (as in greatest of greats) till he proves something. Forget even winning a world cup, that's something 1 player cannot control....But i mean legitimately perform like cruyff or Van Basten (players who never won world cups), or baggio, batistuta etc.

Times on his side though... he's 24. Ridiculous really.

Sage

Phase 3
Staff member
Reaction score
I agree that cristiano's big game choker tag is overrated, but it is true, he completely choked against bartha last week, while messi was fighting and playing like a true WC player.

Messi being average with argentina is def. overrated, I've seen a lot of argentina games, the guy rarely ever has a bad or even average game, he always plays well, but if he's not scoring then most people will think he is having a shit game/being average.

I'm not saying he never had an average/poor game for argentina, but he plays well 90% of the time, whether he scores or not is down to his luck, because I think it's fair to say he's been unlucky at times with them.

zidane had a great france team around him and same goes for ronaldo, the team messi has around him has too many weaknesses.

Senatore_M84

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Clarence Clyde Seedorf
I agree that cristiano's big game choker tag is overrated, but it is true, he completely choked against bartha last week, while messi was fighting and playing like a true WC player.

No doubt, in my opinion, that was. his worst game ever. Honestly, it was like a 2/10 rating type performance.

I don't even know what was up. At times i felt like he had same facial expressions i say Luis Ronaldo make during 98 world cup final. It was beyond a choke, he looked like someone threatened to kill him if he scored.

Messi being average with argentina is def. overrated, I've seen a lot of argentina games, the guy rarely ever has a bad or even average game, he always plays well, but if he's not scoring then most people will think he is having a shit game/being average.

Yeah, but performing in friendlies in india, africa or UAE isn't what im talking about. In the world cup he was average. Did not look like 'undisputed best player' tag he has. In Copa America 3 times it's been same story. He looks same level of Di Maria, Lavezzi etc. You know he does a couple nice things but by no means the level with Barca.

I'm not saying he's a clown, but the drop in level is astonishing. I mean him Barca v. RM (for ex.) last few games, you watch him and you go... this guy is on another level from every attacker on earth.

But with Argentina, he just looks like another talented player, not special. Big difference

I'm not saying he never had an average/poor game for argentina, but he plays well 90% of the time, whether he scores or not is down to his luck, because I think it's fair to say he's been unlucky at times with them.

zidane had a great france team around him and same goes for ronaldo, the team messi has around him has too many weaknesses.

It certainly doesn't help that Messi's team is always in turmoil which is why I am not saying he needs to win titles w/ argentina.

Without a defense it's so unlikely they'll win a copa america, much less a WC.

But beyond that, it's not like he's scoring regularly OR assisting.

2011 CA- 4 games, 0 goals, 3 assistS (2 v. Costa rica's u22 side)
2010 WC- 5 games, 0 goals, 1 assist

In WC qualifying his record's been poor too.

It's fair to say he has been a major disappointment for argentina to date.

Jivara

Vero Milanista
Reaction score
Why does every thread have to turn into whether Messi is among the gods of football?

Zizou 10... just!

Dominate

Genius
Reaction score
Fav. Players
RIP Totti
And I think if he was to be considered one of the true greats he would have to move out of Barcelona

Zidane, Ronaldo, Van Basten, Maradona etc all proved themeselves with their respective national teams and other clubs

Senatore_M84

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Clarence Clyde Seedorf
And I think if he was to be considered one of the true greats he would have to move out of Barcelona

Zidane, Ronaldo, Van Basten, Maradona etc all proved themeselves with their respective national teams and other clubs

Yes, he should come ot milan.

purely to prove he's actually as good as claimed.

I don't think he has a choice..... 2 mil + 50% co-ownership Pato. Take it or leave it Pep.

crazy4milan

Exotic Stevie G
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini,Weah,Nesta,Dida
More than proving himself in other club (I don't mind that, I think he'll have time to prove himself in a Barcelona that will struggle-cycles they happen- before he's 30), a key is that the difference in his performance with the ones Argentina has don't suffer such a drop off. We're not talking about him being the only one that is carrying the team (and I'm sure if he was Argies wouldn't want him to stay at Catalunya and demand to play Tevez, we're talking about the best player on earth right now and a country that lives off of football and parading around their arrogance, if Messi would perform on regular basis-not 2-3 games a year on friendlies mostly-for Argentina they would show him off as their jewel).

Yes Argentina has defiencies, no that doesn't mean the best player in the world, the one that carries record breaking stats for his club, just performs good (just good btw, not even near the level you'd expect for a player like him) in 3 games for his NT per year (mostly against subpar teams), and then his a big 0 for the rest of the games. Maradona's Argentina wasn't good either (dare I say current Argentina has -on names- better players from midfield to top than Diego's, and it was a big hot mess too inside the dressing room), that didn't affect his performances.

But we'll see he has at least 2 more WCs 2 Copa Américas to pull significant performances (significant performances don't mean WC winner, but someone you're like damn it, he really put the team on his shoulders, and was magnificent, it just didn't happen)

Fiero

Reaction score
Zidane took a shit France to a World Cup final in 2006 all by himself. After he retired, they were knocked out of 2008 and 2010's group stages.

Before Zidane, France had never won a World Cup. With him, they won one, reached another final, and won the EURO.

Zidane injured in 2002 - France, the reigning World and Europe champions, out of the World Cup group stages.

Zizou is the definition of single handedly carrying a team on the biggest occasions for almost a decade. It's an insult to him to compare him with over hyped modern day footballers that haven't done shit on the international stage.

dhorasoo

data haiku
Reaction score
Fav. Players
pirlo, kinkladze, baggio, foggia, baronio, dhorasoo, serginho, caracciolo, ronaldo, pep & corini
Zidane took a shit France to a World Cup final in 2006 all by himself. After he retired, they were knocked out of 2008 and 2010's group stages.

Before Zidane, France had never won a World Cup. With him, they won one, reached another final, and won the EURO.

Zidane injured in 2002 - France, the reigning World and Europe champions, out of the World Cup group stages.

Zizou is the definition of single handedly carrying a team on the biggest occasions for almost a decade. It's an insult to him to compare him with over hyped modern day footballers that haven't done shit on the international stage.

I understand what you're saying.

BUT, you shouldn't underestimate the France 98 NT and Zidane was out almost the entire tournament (red card against S. Arabia I think?). That NT was ridiculously talented. Skippers like Deschamps and Desailly, young hungry players like Thuram and Henry, Petit having a hell of a tournament, Lizarazu being one of the better left backs of his generation (bar Maldini and R. Carlos obviously), the creative genius of Djorkaeff in midfield, etc... Zidane decides the final on his own, yes, but the rest of the tournament it were the other guys. Credit where credit is due.

And the France 06 NT wasn't sh*t, come one Fiero. I remember that final distinctively, and just like Gattuso said in an interview a few months after that game, I was thinking the same: "Dayyum, those guys look huge and unbeatable, what the f*ck are we gonna do against THOSE guys?". Everytime Henry or Malouda got the ball, I was totally afraid of what was going to happen. Every. Single. Time. They looked so confident, dangerous and badass. Same goes for Zidane ofcourse, who looked untouchable, he was almost floating around the pitch, totally controlling the game. And then France also had Ribery, who wasn't the player he is now, but a diamond in the rough, everybody could see that. He was a constant attacking threat. They had the experience in the centre of the pitch with Thuram, Makelele, Gallas and Viera, and Abidal was rock solid those years. Not a bad team at all, on the contrary. Zidane was the undisputed leader, but again, he had an awesome team to lead.

Singlehandedly carried his team in those two WC's you say? I have some doubts. France was a force back then.

One of the greatest and unique players ever? Yes, defintely.

Fiero

Reaction score
I understand what you're saying.

BUT, you shouldn't underestimate the France 98 NT and Zidane was out almost the entire tournament (red card against S. Arabia I think?). That NT was ridiculously talented. Skippers like Deschamps and Desailly, young hungry players like Thuram and Henry, Petit having a hell of a tournament, Lizarazu being one of the better left backs of his generation (bar Maldini and R. Carlos obviously), the creative genius of Djorkaeff in midfield, etc... Zidane decides the final on his own, yes, but the rest of the tournament it were the other guys. Credit where credit is due.

And the France 06 NT wasn't sh*t, come one Fiero. I remember that final distinctively, and just like Gattuso said in an interview a few months after that game, I was thinking the same: "Dayyum, those guys look huge and unbeatable, what the f*ck are we gonna do against THOSE guys?". Everytime Henry or Malouda got the ball, I was totally afraid of what was going to happen. Every. Single. Time. They looked so confident, dangerous and badass. Same goes for Zidane ofcourse, who looked untouchable, he was almost floating around the pitch, totally controlling the game. And then France also had Ribery, who wasn't the player he is now, but a diamond in the rough, everybody could see that. He was a constant attacking threat. They had the experience in the centre of the pitch with Thuram, Makelele, Gallas and Viera, and Abidal was rock solid those years. Not a bad team at all, on the contrary. Zidane was the undisputed leader, but again, he had an awesome team to lead.

Singlehandedly carried his team in those two WC's you say? I have some doubts. France was a force back then.

One of the greatest and unique players ever? Yes, defintely.

98, I agree. 2006, however, I really disagree. First of all Domenech already proved to the world how clueless he is in the following tournaments. Second of all, they struggled in qualifications and needed Zizou's help, and they struggled in the group stages as well. Then in the knockout rounds, everybody expected Spain to win, but Zidane ran the show. Vs Brazil, Zidane put on of the greatest individual performances ever in a World Cup game, vs Portugal it was Zidane who scored the winning penalty, and in the final again it was him who scored for France and before his red card he almost made it 2-1 for France. No Zizou, no party.

I agree they weren't completely shit. Ribery was really good (IMO better than these days!), and Henry is the king no matter what, but they were an aging team coached by a clueless moron and it was Zidane who carried them all the way. No other player could do that.

Like in EURO 2000, they had arguably the strongest squad in the tournament, but when you look at Zidane's effect, it was huge. Scored a brilliant free kick vs Spain in the knockouts, scored the winning penalty vs Portugal in the semis as well as orchestrating all the games and pulling all the strings brilliantly.

World Cup 2002 was more or less the same squad, yet they went out of the group stages with an injured Zidane rushed to play the final group game vs Denmark. EURO 2004, Zizou scored a penalty and a free kick in the dying minutes to win the game for France after they were losing. There's many incidents that show he was a player who made the difference for his team. Not only was he the leader and organizer of play, but he was also the man that finished the job. He was the brain and the heart. Pure genius.

EURO 2008 France had the same coach and arguably the same core of players from 2 years before, but with no Zidane they went out in shame in the group stages.

This guy had everything. I repeat it again, it's an insult to compare him to any modern footballer. He was complete. A little mad, but no genius is sane. Nevertheless, he had flawless technique, unmatchable creativity, a rare intelligence, amazing leadership, and the guts to always decide the most important games.

Last edited:

Nestafan

Long Hair > Mohawk
Reaction score
Fav. Players

Sage, you sir truly understand the beautiful game.
Not like some of these idiots.

Madridista

not exactly a lightweight
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Doku, Osimhen, Rafael Leao, Tonali, Rodrygo, Valverde, De Paul, Lautaro Martinez, Pogba, Fekir
lol@ messi getting compared to true legends like Zidane and Ronaldo. Messi isn't even in the same league with Ronaldinho ffs.

Senatore_M84

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Clarence Clyde Seedorf

thuram, makelele and vieira want to speak with you in private.

Personally, i wouldn't wanna be surrounded by those 3 if they're upset :)

--

That france team conceded 3 goals in entire tourney. Zidane led attack and was leader and catalyst of entire side, but they were VERY good defensively.

none of them played in euro 2008. That was a huge thing. They missed Zidane in attack, stringing it all together. They also did not have anywhere near the defensive core they had during the prime france years (98, 00, 06)

Last edited:

Jivara

Vero Milanista
Reaction score
thuram, makelele and vieira want to speak with you in private.

Personally, i wouldn't wanna be surrounded by those 3 if they're upset :)
Thats the typical skinny white boy living in the US mentality...

solution to the problem: take out a joint and talk shit, always works with big black dudes :lol::thumbsup:

Sven

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

I never get tired of this

Jasper

Maldini tier
Reaction score
Fav. Players
3; Marat Safin; Tiziano Crudeli; 2Pac; Christian Bale; Martin M??rsepp; Balotelli.
I never get tired of this:

PS! Youtube usually get's tired of Johnny Cash music though. F'kin lawyer-wanks.

Sven

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Great video J, thanks!

Sven

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

I didn't really know that Zizou was such a fan of Francescoli. Never figured that his son was named after him either.

In this video he says he was his youth hero (in his time in France in the 80s) and that he tried to copy his style and moves. He meet him personally for the first time in the Intercontinental in 96... He was very happy to get Francescoli shirt - that his son dressed to sleep that night.

Francescoli kindly says it's the case of the pupil surpassing the master

Got into this video searching for this goal:

Childhood memories

Ashish

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
R.I.P. Papa Berlu, G, R9, Nesta, Rui, Maldini, Gattuso, Robert Wieckiewicz, Brendan Gleeson
dude could have easily played for 5 more years :eek: he is fit as a bull ... damn i kinda miss him

not involved 100% of the game but when he is in he is great