Spanish La Liga Thread (BBVA)

Who will win La Liga and which two teams will complete the top 4?

• Total voters

Beemer

Milan Legend
Reaction score
crazy4milan said:
There's lots of bad hairstyles going around in Spain (lots of mullet).
Yeah, what is it with the silly hairstyles and the pink unies in La Liga lately? Is Spain still stuck in the '80s?

Az.

Se7en
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini,Shevchenko, Rui Costa, Gattuso, Pippo, Nesta, Ambrosini,Seedorf, Billy,Kaka,Beckham,Zlatan
64' Recreativo Huelva 0 - 1 Valencia

Valencia winning so far :D

radioactivenerd

Gol de Pablitooooo
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Batistuta, Crespo, Aimar, Roberto Carlos, Totti, Ayala, Rui Costa, Nesta, BARAJA
Az. said:

yup, valencia grinds out another result!
were not playing spectacular, but none of these victories are lucky by any means. we are totally shutting the opposition off.

BRING ON CHELSKI.

milan133

Forza Azzurri ;)
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini. Kaka. Pirlo. Nesta. Buffon. Toni. Cech. Van Persie. Fabregas. Rosicky
Az. said:

:D And they're third now after Real and Villarreal

crazy4milan

Exotic Stevie G
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini,Weah,Nesta,Dida
BMWTaylor said:
Yeah, what is it with the silly hairstyles and the pink unies in La Liga lately? Is Spain still stuck in the '80s?
Well, a month ago, while I was getting my hair done, I was reading the spanish version of Hello! magazine, and they were talking about how leggins were back in Spain (though it's a world wide fashion trend). I guess they loved the 80's.

I really feel sorry for Sevilla, even Palop, their biggest hero has been critized for his poor performances lately. Thing is, I'm 100% sure that they are still hurt by what happen with Puerta.

radioactivenerd

Gol de Pablitooooo
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Batistuta, Crespo, Aimar, Roberto Carlos, Totti, Ayala, Rui Costa, Nesta, BARAJA
So Zigic is set to start today. Saw a little bit of him last season with Racing, and he just made his debut against chelski last week.
IM looking forward to see seeing how good he is with his feet, not just using his height....I hope we dont adopt a long ball strategy for him, but hes definitely going to help getting on the end of crosses from joaquin and vicente.

acerвιc wιт

Milano Siamo Noi!
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Paolo Maldini, Thiago Silva, Serginho, Kaká, Gennaro Gattuso, Kevin Prince Boateng & Filippo Inzaghi
Oli scored a brace LOL Quite ironic that Gila netted a brace as well.

G.Rossi scores again. Fuckin' carving 'em up, champ!

milan133

Forza Azzurri ;)
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini. Kaka. Pirlo. Nesta. Buffon. Toni. Cech. Van Persie. Fabregas. Rosicky
Valencia lost 2-1 against Espanyol on saturday .. I don't know why their defense sometimes..sleep :head:

vani_pirlo_21

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Fav. Players
All Milan, all River Plate, Aimar, Saviola, Montenegro, Lugano,
^^ does Helguera sound like a good reason? :o

radioactivenerd

Gol de Pablitooooo
Reaction score
Fav. Players
vani_pirlo_21 said:
^^ does Helguera sound like a good reason? :o
Helguera didnt play the last game. It was Albiol and Alexis in central D, with Miguel and Moretti on the flanks.

Beemer

Milan Legend
Reaction score
edika_kaka said:
lol..
villareal lead 3-1 against barca..
Guess Dinho was too tired from Wednesday's apparent orgy to take part. Not sure if this story is wholly true, but it's a hoot nonetheless.

Ronaldinho and Robinho dropped by their Primera Liga teams

MADRID: Ronaldinho and Robinho were left out of their squads in the Primera Liga on Friday, amid rumours of a party with alcohol and sex following Brazil’s victory over Ecuador on Wednesday.

Ronaldinho was dropped for yesterday’s match against Villarreal and Robinho will not do his share for Real Madrid against Espanyol.

Real Madrid coach Bernd Schuster also left off the list another Brazilian, Julio Baptista, who played against Ecuador although he apparently did not attend the controversial party.

Forwards Robinho and Baptista missed Real’s last training session on Friday, before the trip north to face Espanyol, due to flight delays the club said.

“I am not worried because we have sufficient players to face Espanyol,” Schuster told a news conference.

Ronaldinho also missed Barca’s last training session on Friday and was dropped from the squad to play at Villarreal.

The absences of Ronaldinho and Robinho do however coincide with the information published by the Brazilian daily O Globo, with abundant details of the celebration of the national team's 5-0 victory against Ecuador in Rio de Janeiro.

The daily said Robinho, Ronaldinho and other players attended a party that went on for hours. The report speaks of alcohol, sex and furtive escapes by footballers as they left the Rio de Janeiro disco.

Moreover, O Globo says the party took place in Catwalk, one of the most luxurious discos in the city and whose owner, the Iranian Jafar Hajbrahim, was arrested less than a year ago over drug trafficking.

At one point Robinho – who had been seen dancing with a voluptuous blonde – asked a security guard “for 40 condoms,” the report said, adding that the Real Madrid player left the disco at 5am.

Robinho denied the allegations on Thursday night, and stressed that he is expecting a child and that he is set to marry his girlfriend early next year.

This is not the first time the talented player has been involved in an incident of this sort.

In January, Spanish media accused him of turning up to a Real Madrid training session drunk – an allegation that was not denied by the club.

Robinho admitted this week that he feels “happier with the Brazilian national team than with Real Madrid”.

Schuster expressed total confidence in the player at the beginning of the season, but he cannot invariably count on a place in the starting line-up.

O Globo spoke of Ronaldinho as another player particularly “active” at the party. The daily says he was the last footballer to leave the disco – at 11am, hidden in the boot of a car to avoid being photographed.

Ronaldinho is currently going through a most delicate patch in his career, amid rumours of his active nightlife in Barcelona. The possibility that the Catalan club might seek to sell him off at the end of the season is mentioned ever more often, and criticism of the player’s poor performance on the pitch is equally loud. – Agencies (thestar.com.my)

Edi

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini,Nesta,Kaka,
I was wacthing Espanyol - Real Madrid last night from time to time and Tamudo scored a great goal...
Good to see Real and Barca lose by the way :tongue:

vani_pirlo_21

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Fav. Players
All Milan, all River Plate, Aimar, Saviola, Montenegro, Lugano,
Antonio Puerta's son has arrived... Aitor was born yesterday in Sevilla at 3PM local time, weighing 3.7 kgs
kinda bittersweet news... good luck and health for the newborn baby and his mother :star:

Sasha

The UNBANNABLE One
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Azzurri e Rossoneri
*rossonera* said:
i missed all the matches i wanted to watch last saturday.. how did pires play? :D
He won a penalty.

Beemer

Milan Legend
Reaction score
*rossonera* said:
that's a very profound analysis i must say. thanks for your time + effort. ;)
*snort* :)

The son of Antonio Puerta, the player who was honored by the whole Milan squad during the European Supercup final in Montecarlo, was born Sunday in Sevilla: little Aitar Antonio weighs 3 kilograms and 300 grams, and is 53 centimeters long. Aitor was the name the parents had chosen, Antonio was given in memory of his father, who died on 28 August, 3 days after collapsing during Sevilla-Getafe, a Liga match. (acmilan.com)

Sasha

The UNBANNABLE One
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Azzurri e Rossoneri
*rossonera* said:
that's a very profound analysis i must say. thanks for your time + effort. ;)
My resources include a 2 minute highlight video on Youtube. :cool:

Rosanna03

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Fav. Players
MALDINI, Pirlo
BMWTaylor said:
*snort* :)

The son of Antonio Puerta, the player who was honored by the whole Milan squad during the European Supercup final in Montecarlo, was born Sunday in Sevilla: little Aitar Antonio weighs 3 kilograms and 300 grams, and is 53 centimeters long. Aitor was the name the parents had chosen, Antonio was given in memory of his father, who died on 28 August, 3 days after collapsing during Sevilla-Getafe, a Liga match. (acmilan.com)

What a bitter sweet news. All the best to the little Antonio and his mother.

radioactivenerd

Gol de Pablitooooo
Reaction score
Fav. Players
*rossonera* said:
i missed all the matches i wanted to watch last saturday.. how did pires play? :D
Pires was THE man of the game. Protagonist for villarreal all around...won 2 penalties, not one, and had a fantastic game overall. if you have any sort of a soft spot for Pires i would highly recommend downloading the game and watching it at leisure. You wont be disappointed - hes back to his absolute best.

*rossonera*

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
radioactivenerd said:
Pires was THE man of the game. Protagonist for villarreal all around...won 2 penalties, not one, and had a fantastic game overall. if you have any sort of a soft spot for Pires i would highly recommend downloading the game and watching it at leisure. You wont be disappointed - hes back to his absolute best.
thanks. that's what i wanted to hear.. for so many reasons. ;) i've been an admirer of him for a long time + was seriously distraught when he tore the cruciate ligament last year, fearing it would be the end of his career - seeing him back + better than in a long time is positively elating.

Sasha

The UNBANNABLE One
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Azzurri e Rossoneri
I kinda feel bad for Pires after the final against Barca.

Italian Tsar

Face
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Keane, Laudrup, Cannavaro, Gattuso, Ronaldo, ABD , Virender Sehwag
Poll added.

Last edited:

radioactivenerd

Gol de Pablitooooo
Reaction score
Fav. Players
BMWTaylor said:
Why, what happened?
Was subbed off at about the 70th minute mark when the scores were 1-1....Pires felt wenger didnt trust him to create anything and consequently left.

Matmil04

* I still Believe *
Reaction score
Fav. Players
kaka, Nesta, Gerrard and Ronaldinho
I think he was substituted when Jens Lehmann got the red card in the last minutes of the first half to leave the place for the second gk that was coming in.

Sasha

The UNBANNABLE One
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Azzurri e Rossoneri
radioactivenerd said:
Was subbed off at about the 70th minute mark when the scores were 1-1....Pires felt wenger didnt trust him to create anything and consequently left.
If you don't know then don't make stuff up.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Pir%C3%A8s#English_football_career
During the 2005-06 season, Pirès wrangled with Arsenal over a new contract, in the hope of a new two-year deal. In keeping with the club's policy regarding players over 30, Pirès was only offered a 12-month extension to his contract, which expired in June 2006. Pirès started the season poorly, and was often preferred on both wings (left and right) to Freddie Ljungberg, Jose Antonio Reyes and Alexander Hleb. However, as the season progressed, Pirès's form improved (most notably since January 2006). Despite Pirès being 33, he still managed to get more goals in all competitions than Ljungberg, Reyes and Hleb, all of whom are much younger and stronger than Pires. Pirès played his last game for Arsenal in the UEFA Champions league final against Barcelona, where he was the player sacrificed after goalkeeper Jens Lehmann's sending off during the match. He seemed to be unconsolable when leaving the pitch in that last game for him at Arsenal. Pirès ended the season as Arsenal's joint 2nd top scorer (along with Robin Van Persie). Two of the most memorable moments of Pirès's last season at Arsenal were the tackle on Patrick Vieira of Juventus (which lead to Arsenal's first goal), and Pirès's superb long ball to Thierry Henry, who subsequently set up Cesc Fàbregas to score.

In May 2006 he agreed to an offer from Villarreal[1] after a month of speculation, during which time he played against Villareal in the Champions League semi-final. One of the main reasons Pirès gave for leaving Arsenal was that he felt he was no longer a first choice under Arsene Wenger. Pirès was quoted saying "But I have to say I have had some disappointments this season. For instance I was on the bench very often." Furthermore Pirès says that Wenger's decision to withdraw him in the UEFA Champions League Final showed he had slipped in the eyes of his French boss. Pirès said that he felt hurt on how Arséne Wenger did not trust him anymore, which was a major factor that convinced him that it was time to move on from Arsenal.

On the official Arsenal matchday program for the game against Wigan Athletic on February 11, 2007, Pires revealed his heartbreak of being substituted so early on during the game against Barcelona. Pires stated: "I was very disappointed. When I saw my number on the fourth official’s board to be substituted, I couldn’t believe it. It was my last game after six years at the Club, a Champions League Final in front of all my family in Paris where I became World Cup champion and it lasted just 12 minutes. That was very hard to take."

DonippoKakaShevdini

Santo Baresi
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Der Franco
MilanoMike said:
If you don't know then don't make stuff up.

"But I have to say I have had some disappointments this season. For instance I was on the bench very often." Furthermore Pirès says that Wenger's decision to withdraw him in the UEFA Champions League Final showed he had slipped in the eyes of his French boss. Pirès said that he felt hurt on how Arséne Wenger did not trust him anymore, which was a major factor that convinced him that it was time to move on from Arsenal.

On the official Arsenal matchday program for the game against Wigan Athletic on February 11, 2007, Pires revealed his heartbreak of being substituted so early on during the game against Barcelona. Pires stated: "I was very disappointed. When I saw my number on the fourth official’s board to be substituted, I couldn’t believe it. It was my last game after six years at the Club, a Champions League Final in front of all my family in Paris where I became World Cup champion and it lasted just 12 minutes. That was very hard to take."
Since leaving Arsenal....how can anyone deny that Wenger was correct? Pires is no longer an International, and many people who don't watch La Liga regularly last season had no idea where he was because he was innocuous due to injury and complete ineffectiveness. In other words...no factor at all in the scale of European football. Arsenal and France have tremendously better options than him at this point in that position. Nevertheless...his play in the first 9 rounds of La Liga this term has been rather vintage Pires. Rossi, Cani and Josico have all played well thus far.

Schedule