Official Combat Sports (MMA, Boxing, Kickboxing) Thread

OneUnited

Reaction score
Do any of you follow boxing too? It seems like there are a lot of fans who take an interest in both sports, certainly since boxing became more integral to competing in mixed marital arts.

Az.

Se7en
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini,Shevchenko, Rui Costa, Gattuso, Pippo, Nesta, Ambrosini,Seedorf, Billy,Kaka,Beckham,Zlatan
Do any of you follow boxing too? It seems like there are a lot of fans who take an interest in both sports, certainly since boxing became more integral to competing in mixed marital arts.

I find boxing incredibly boring/static.To many rules,to little freedom.Thats not real fighting.

Watching UFC 139 right now.First hour was kinda boring,im at the Urijah Faber fight now.The cunrows look ridiculous on him :lol:

Prediction,his going to out wrestle his opponent.

Edit: that second round was spectacular,he fucked him up well.Uppercut ,then the elbow,knee to the body and the guillotine.Flawless.

Still Cruz will beat him again.

Next Liu Kang vs Baraka.What the fuck lol?Is the ref stupid?Why did he stop that fight??

Shogun vs Henderson..they should not let fat guys in the UFC anymore.That was bull shit,the fight only lasted that long cause of the breaks between rounds.There stamina was crap,well to be fair Henderson was goodish ,Shogun was crap.

Last edited:

OneUnited

Reaction score
Thats not real fighting.

The purpose of boxing is just that. Numerous variables that define "real" fighting are eliminated, instead promoting speed, skill, intelligence and other attributes to refines oneself for a concept where the beauty lies in its simplicity. Unlike the contrived nature of MMA, where variables can serve to nullify the competition prematurely, boxers master themselves in one discipline, one where you can't circumvent weaknesses and still succeed.

MilanMB

Serendipity
Reaction score
I find boxing incredibly boring/static.To many rules,to little freedom.Thats not real fighting.

I kind of agree with you on this. Kind of. :tongue:

But boxing has its charm as well. Their level of boxing is so high, that when you watch even the best MMA fighters they look like noobs.

The technique and incredible speed is really awesome, and a good boxing fight is a joy to watch.

Watch this motherfucker and tell me if he's static and boring.

OneUnited

Reaction score
Their level of boxing is so high, that when you watch even the best MMA fighters they look like noobs.

Nick Diaz was pondering the idea of entering boxing. With his level, he could well be an okay boxer. He wouldn't be quite so unique with his tendency to fight in the pocket. Somebody like Andre Ward, pretty much in Diaz' weight category, would slaughter him with his jab.

Az.

Se7en
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini,Shevchenko, Rui Costa, Gattuso, Pippo, Nesta, Ambrosini,Seedorf, Billy,Kaka,Beckham,Zlatan
^^ Meh guess just boxing is not for everybody.

Anyway i was just looking at the card for the UFC 140,have to say its not really impressive.

What do you guys make of it?

IbraISmyHOMEboy

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Ibrahimovic, KPB, White Duck, Binho, Filippo Inzaghi
Nick Diaz was pondering the idea of entering boxing. With his level, he could well be an okay boxer. He wouldn't be quite so unique with his tendency to fight in the pocket. Somebody like Andre Ward, pretty much in Diaz' weight category, would slaughter him with his jab.

He'd be a fool to go to boxing this late in his career. Plus he's on a 11 or 13 fight win streak. He's got his title shot. Could be a historic upset, and I'm pulling for him to make it happen.

IbraISmyHOMEboy

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Ibrahimovic, KPB, White Duck, Binho, Filippo Inzaghi

Anyway i was just looking at the card for the UFC 140,have to say its not really impressive.

What what what??!??!?!

Both Nog brothers are fighting, Tito is fighting, Frank Mir, the title fight between Macho Man Lyoto Savage and Jon "Bones" Jones...

Prelims are lacking a bit, but the main event looks LEGIT. Plus I see a brawl in the top three fights.

Give me Tito over little Nog
Give me Frank Mir over big Nog
and finally give me Bones over Macho Man Lyoto Savage

MilanMB

Serendipity
Reaction score

I think it's a good card. Ufc can't bring us bad cards nowadays, with the amount of talented fighter they've got now. The WEC fighters, and now also Strikeforce fighters, have been a real injection of quality.

Btw, its rumoured that UFC will come to Sweden in 3-4 months.

Got. To. Be. There.

ww

Banned
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Lugano, Raí, Rogério Ceni, Ambrosini, Gattuso
I think it's a good card. Ufc can't bring us bad cards nowadays, with the amount of talented fighter they've got now. The WEC fighters, and now also Strikeforce fighters, have been a real injection of quality.

Btw, its rumoured that UFC will come to Sweden in 3-4 months.

Got. To. Be. There.

I don't like cards that most of fighters are bellow welterweight. It seems like they hit each other with all their power and still, they don't even get hurted. It takes 100 punches for a little bruise.

The good part of MMA is to see monsters slamming their face with all the steroid on their blood.

Today is the best card of the year. Minotauro is my São Paulo/Milan on MMA, Ortiz is one of my Barças and Jon Jones makes MMA look like a Hollywood fight movie.

Az.

Se7en
Reaction score
Fav. Players
So the title fight..really lame.Machida was no match..:\

MilanMB

Serendipity
Reaction score
I don't like cards that most of fighters are bellow welterweight. It seems like they hit each other with all their power and still, they don't even get hurted. It takes 100 punches for a little bruise.

The good part of MMA is to see monsters slamming their face with all the steroid on their blood.

Today is the best card of the year. Minotauro is my São Paulo/Milan on MMA, Ortiz is one of my Barças and Jon Jones makes MMA look like a Hollywood fight movie.

The lighter weight classes have their charm as well, especially if you like to see technical fights. But yeah, I like them big guys more as well.

Minotauro got his arm broken by Mir, and I got my heart broken. I wouldn't care as much if he'd win by some other way like knock out or decision, but Minotaoru is such an excellent grappler and shouldn't have got caught like that, especially not when he had Mir on wobbly legs. He should never have tried to choke him out... keep punching for fuck sake! Let him stand up! It's so stupid to try to choke someone like Mir out when you're so close to a knockout, Mir is no joke on the ground.

So the title fight..really lame.Machida was no match..:\

Well, no one in the light heavy weight division is a match for Jones. But as I predicted Machida was the one who gave him most problems to deal with. Kudos to Jones though, for that standing giljotine.

But Jones is to damn big for this weight class, IMO if he really wants to prove himself he has to mix it up with the big guys in the heavy weight division. He'll probably do good there as well, but he won't toy the fighters around there.

Fighters like Dos Santos and Cain will neutralise Jones' strength and size and we'll see more "fair" fights.

MilanMB

Serendipity
Reaction score
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1291584/

Going to watch this tonight.

The youngest son (Hardy) of an alcoholic former boxer (Nolte) returns home, where he's trained by his father for competition in a mixed martial arts tournament - a path that puts the fighter on a collision corner with his older brother (Edgerton).

ww

Banned
Reaction score
Fav. Players
The lighter weight classes have their charm as well, especially if you like to see technical fights. But yeah, I like them big guys more as well.

Minotauro got his arm broken by Mir, and I got my heart broken. I wouldn't care as much if he'd win by some other way like knock out or decision, but Minotaoru is such an excellent grappler and shouldn't have got caught like that, especially not when he had Mir on wobbly legs. He should never have tried to choke him out... keep punching for fuck sake! Let him stand up! It's so stupid to try to choke someone like Mir out when you're so close to a knockout, Mir is no joke on the ground.

Well, no one in the light heavy weight division is a match for Jones. But as I predicted Machida was the one who gave him most problems to deal with. Kudos to Jones though, for that standing giljotine.

But Jones is to damn big for this weight class, IMO if he really wants to prove himself he has to mix it up with the big guys in the heavy weight division. He'll probably do good there as well, but he won't toy the fighters around there.

Fighters like Dos Santos and Cain will neutralise Jones' strength and size and we'll see more "fair" fights.

Light weight classes = Welterweight. Less than that it seems like 2 kids fighting. They throw each other punches that hit their chins and don't even get stunned, so weird, it's like pillow fight.

Minotauro broke my heart so fucking badly not only because he lost but because he WON and then he decided to lose. He was 3 punches away from the victory, only more 3 punches and I'm fucking sure that the referee would had stop the fight but no, he decided to prove that he was not only better on boxing but also on jiu-jitsu and since it's not good to underestimate a high level jiu-jitsu black belt like Mir...

Jon Jones is a phenomenon of the sport, to see him fighting is like seeing a Hollywood action movie, it seems like he has a coreography on his mind and just put it in practicle.

Machida is very intelligent fighter and that's why he became the first one to reach Jon Jones, no wonder the guy got a little nervous, he was like: "Omg, a guy that is abble to hit me!" - but still, his technique is bizare, he's amazing at boxing, kickboxing, wrestling, judô and jiu-jitsu, there's nothing he can't do.

I think that there should be a rule saying that a fighter that defends a title for 3 times, shall fight the champion of the category above.

OneUnited

Reaction score

Compared to the likes of Henderson, Rua, Evans and Jackson, it's apparent that he is unique to the division. He has about a 10" reach advantage over Machida. That's a scary proposition when he is also so athletic and cunning.

Still, he isn't invincible. Like Machida, it's a question of time for somebody to really figures him out. Maybe the answer to Jones isn't even in the UFC. We're seeing new kinds of talent emerging all of the time as the sport undergoes evolution. Despite a solid record prior to 2011, even Jones only came to the attention of part-time fans this year.

Senatore_M84

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Clarence Clyde Seedorf
oneunited strikes me as the whitest man alive.

Jon Jones is better off not going up a class, in my opinion. Gives up his major edge, though everyone assumes he will one day.

ww

Banned
Reaction score
Fav. Players
I don't think that someone will take away Jon Jones title on the light-heavyweight. He's a freakin complete ninja, there's nothing he can do. He's amazing at boxing, muay-thai, judô, wrestling and jiu-jitsu, plus, he's very tall and strong.

I hope that someday I find a way to tell Dana White my idea of 3 titles defenses = Go to the next class and also that he likes it.

OneUnited

Reaction score
It's not up to Jones. Should White and the other matchmakers decide that there is a dearth of talent in the division, it would be best for them to move him up and help to continue the UFC's push to make the heavyweight division a success.

MilanMB

Serendipity
Reaction score
oneunited strikes me as the whitest man alive.

Jon Jones is better off not going up a class, in my opinion. Gives up his major edge, though everyone assumes he will one day.

He's to big for his division. no one will give him enough cred if he stays.

He also said himself that he want to move up one day. just a question of time.

samir10

Moaaarr Attackers :proud:
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Gattuso, Shevchenko, Boban, Baresi, MVB, Inzaghi, Riquelme
I'm sad to read Minotaoro in his last fight got badly injured, his arm was broken. But hell both Mir and Minotauro are cool as fuck, great fighters!

Az.

Se7en
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Is Silva vs Sonnen still happening?I cant find any info on the net about it.

MilanMB

Serendipity
Reaction score
Is Silva vs Sonnen still happening?I cant find any info on the net about it.

Depends on the Sonnen vs Munoz fight. They'll fight first for the contender status.

Az.

Se7en
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Depends on the Sonnen vs Munoz fight. They'll fight first for the contender status.

Damn only on the 28 of January,that card looks really good.Cant wait:D

MilanMB

Serendipity
Reaction score
Damn only on the 28 of January,that card looks really good.Cant wait:D

Brock Lesnar vs Alistar Overeem even coming up soon. I think it's on the 31th. Donald Cerrone and Nate Diaz will also fight.

I'm really hoping for Overeem and Cerrone. Cerrone is one of my favs in the UFC.

MilanMB

Serendipity
Reaction score
Here's my list of favourite fighters in the UFC.

1: Frankie Edgar
2: Lyoto Machida
3: Junior Dos Santos

Donald Cerrone
Demian Maia
Matt Mitrione
Thiago Silva
Cain Velasguez
Wanderley Silva
Thiago Alves
Martin Kampmann

And fighters I don't mind when they lose :D

Brock Lesnar
Brian Stann
Chael Sonnen
Jon Jones
Nate and Nick Diaz
John Fitch
Josh Koscheck

Az.

Se7en
Reaction score
Fav. Players

Donald Cerrone
Demian Maia
Matt Mitrione
Thiago Silva
Cain Velasguez
Wanderley Silva
Thiago Alves
Martin Kampmann

Brock Lesnar
Brian Stann
Chael Sonnen
Jon Jones
Nate and Nick Diaz
John Fitch
Josh Koscheck

Frankie Edgar,man that last fight.Movie type shit!

My favorite fighters are :

1. Dominick Cruz
  2. Frankie Edgar
  3. Urijah Faber
  4. Lyoto Machida

And to some extent Silva and Shonen ,but more due to there really funny grudge,not that i like them as fighters.Also both have shit personalities,but there amusing.

And i like both

ww

Banned
Reaction score
Fav. Players

Donald Cerrone
Demian Maia
Matt Mitrione
Thiago Silva
Cain Velasguez
Wanderley Silva
Thiago Alves
Martin Kampmann

Brock Lesnar
Brian Stann
Chael Sonnen
Jon Jones
Nate and Nick Diaz
John Fitch
Josh Koscheck

Mittrione is really charismatic, isn't he?!

First time in the main card he was so excited, like a little girl jumping and laughing for no reason but appreciation for life or because saw a rainbow, something like that.

Brock Lesnar should drop dead. Seriously, if someone kills him, I'd laugh, just like I'd laugh at any hunter.

And you should put Minotauro on your favorites. Minotauro has the biggest heart and balls ever in the MMA history.

Schedule