Week 20: Bologna - Milan 30/01/2021 15:00 CET

jawz10

Milinkovic Savage
Reaction score
The first part of the first half was a bit rough as we were a step late to many 50/50 balls but as the half wore on we started to take over. Eventually, our pressing and work rate paid dividends as the entire sequence that led to our first penalty was down to hard work. Shout out to Tonali who did the unexpected and lobbed the ball back into the box over his shoulder, which caught Bologna out and led to the Ibra double chance/Romagnoli chance, which led to the ball being played back in from the left. Tomori was involved in that sequence as well and Leao did well to react quickly, leading to the foul.

Leao, in general, did really well I thought. He won a few balls in our half which started counters, and he was awake and present in the attack. He created the pass for Ibra's half chance where he collided with Skorupski. He had a good shot from the left in the first half that brought out a good save as well. He was good at bringing the ball from midfield to attack. I think something about him playing in the center prevents him from drifting out of the game or burning his energy when defending on the wing.

Tomori did well, he had numerous clearances, interceptions, and several successful challenges. As a defender, he's very good, he reads the game well and has recovery pace. He is really hesitant to release the ball from his feet, however.

Donnarumma was enormous in keeping the game at 2-0 with point-blank saves against Sansone and Dominguez, but in the second half he got nervous on crosses and flapped on 3-4 in a row.

Rebic and Saelemakers weren't great but they were decisive. In fact, they (along with Hakan) are so crucial in our game that even when offensively they're poor, we win games due to their pressing and hustling.

DONNARUMMA - 7/10
ROMAGNOLI - 6.5/10
TOMORI - 6.5/10
CALABRIA - 6.5/10
HERNANDEZ - 6/10
KESSIE - 6.5/10
TONALI - 6/10
SAELEMAKERS - 5.5/10
REBIC - 6/10
LEAO - 7/10
IBRAHIMOVIC - 5.5/10

Bennacer - 6.5/10
Krunic - 6
Mandzukic - N/A

Il grande Milan

Honey, I'm home
Reaction score
Hope you run this show week in week out to amuse yourself. Would be surprised if you?d amuse other people around here with this stuff.

Relax mate, this is the only place where he gets some attention, handing out those awards actually means much more to him than to you, which is totally unfair in some way, but okay.. just something to remember

makcoul

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
I'm not saying you are wrong, but neither that those were the clearly better solutions. Rebic doesn't have the full 90 minutes. He needed to leave and Pioli switched Leao to LW who wasn't a bad move IMO. He could have kept Leao at CAM and maybe bring Mandzulic earlier (which he then did after a couple of minutes) or put Hauge instead. Hauge wasn't doing that well recently tho, so not necessarily an obvious choice neither.

Tonali CAM? We have absolutely no data of him playing CAM. That's the least obvious option IMO since Krunic at least has already played there.

I think Krunic won't get much more minutes there anymore anyway once we have both Diaz and Hakan back. Even Leao is higher in the pecking order.

Understand what you mean. But i am just like those who do not keep trying something that never works, i prefer evaluate new solutions managing the risk it may not work. But the coach is Pioli and he has certainly his ideas even if in this particular case of Krunic, I do not share them :-)

Mr. Milanista

Milanista since Birth
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Nesta, Zidane, Figo, Romagnoli
I hate how all our opponents fouls our players in the box and stops us from scoring and we instead receive valid penalties instead. Ffs we could have had 15 highlights of goals coming from beautiful plays instead of watching highlights of penalties. Just let us score instead of fouling us lol

vB9

Man with a Plan
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Schmeichel, Maldini, Maradona and ME
Ibra cud've had another hattrick today :cry:

Goodfella

Milan Legend
Reaction score
DONNARUMMA - 7/10
ROMAGNOLI - 6.5/10
TOMORI - 6.5/10
CALABRIA - 6.5/10
HERNANDEZ - 6/10
KESSIE - 6.5/10
TONALI - 6/10
SAELEMAKERS - 5.5/10
REBIC - 6/10
LEAO - 7/10
IBRAHIMOVIC - 5.5/10

Bennacer - 6.5/10
Krunic - 6
Mandzukic - N/A

DONNARUMMA - 7/10
ROMAGNOLI - 6.5/10
TOMORI - 6.5/10
CALABRIA - 6.0/10
HERNANDEZ - 5.5/10
KESSIE - 6.5/10
TONALI - 6/10
SAELEMAKERS - 6.0/10
REBIC - 6.5/10
LEAO - 6.5/10
IBRAHIMOVIC - 6.0/10

Bennacer - 5.5/10
Krunic - 5.5/10
Mandzukic - N/A

Last edited:

Hitchens

In flux
New Era Vanguard
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Tier 1: Maldini, Nesta - Tier 2: Kaká, Seedorf, Shevchenko, Serginho, Theo, Leao, Ibrahimovic
Damn..what's all this whining about Saelemaekers? He was one of the better players today.

I dont like having Mandzu and Ibra on the pitch at the same time in this system. Mandzu even seemed injured in the last 10 mins. The front 4 that finished the game had no pace or energy. A tired Saele was the only one able to even sprint.

Unbalanced in first 60. Terrible once Mandzukic was introduced. Ugly, but expected with those players in those positions. We got the 3 points even under these circumstances and thats all that matters.

Mandzukic will have his use soon enough. He was a terrible sub but he is still finding his feet after a long absence. I think he will be in prime condition for the derby, I dream of him sealing a win in that game.

But it's relevant to ask if he should even be on the field along with Ibra, or only play in his absence as CF.

How godlike is Ibra btw? Not his best performance but at 39 he's fighting for 90 mins. An absolute legend of the game.

KujaIX

Mexes & Muntari fanboy
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Current team
I just honestly don't get people.

We, the AC Milan that have been the most banter of all clubs, are first. First after 10 games, after 19, after 20. This is despite having a weaker squad than many others in the league.

We have beaten big teams, we have beaten small teams. We have legends (Ibra), we have great players (Hakan, Kessie, Bennacer), we have young prospects (Kalulu, Saelemakers, Leao).

Just fucking be happy.

Nobody expected this seriously before the season. Do not revel in your pessimism.

If you were a real fan, you'd have predicted Milan to finish 1st, as you should always do.

The fact we are actually first and in a 3 way with Inter and Napoli/Juventus (while being 1st) should bring joy - allow it.

dcfcfan1

Milan Legend
Reaction score
I just honestly don't get people.

We, the AC Milan that have been the most banter of all clubs, are first. First after 10 games, after 19, after 20. This is despite having a weaker squad than many others in the league.

We have beaten big teams, we have beaten small teams. We have legends (Ibra), we have great players (Hakan, Kessie, Bennacer), we have young prospects (Kalulu, Saelemakers, Leao).

Just fucking be happy.

Nobody expected this seriously before the season. Do not revel in your pessimism.

If you were a real fan, you'd have predicted Milan to finish 1st, as you should always do.

The fact we are actually first and in a 3 way with Inter and Napoli/Juventus (while being 1st) should bring joy - allow it.

Disagree with that bit , agree with everything else. I am a real fan, but I am also a football fan, and prefer being on other forums, discussing football, tactics with other fans. I try to be objective when analysing games, making predictions ect.

Sheva0172

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Shevchenko, Maldini, Pippo, Nesta
Its good to sometimes take some time to realize how much we’ve improved in the past 12 months. Today was not good, just good enough for 3 points. I also believe we can make another step in the next few weeks. Hakan & Bennacer are huge upgrades over our choices in the past weeks and we will get some rest in between matches.

A win vs Crotone and Spezia and we have the advantage going into the game against Inter, hopefully with our full squad.

Sognatore

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
bosnian di marzio
I just finished watching a replay of the match without prior knowledge and now read like 8 post here. Think I'll come back tomorrow :fp: Saele just came back and he did OK. How much better would Samu or Hauge have done? Same goes for Rebic who also scored. Zlatan messed up a few things but was instrumental nonetheless, as was Leao who played out of position. Defence and Mid did fine. Donnarumma also did well despite a couple of minor hickups. Hakan will put all the pieces together as he comes back. One win and two to go before facing merda.

Of course there are things to improve though. The match should never have reached a point where the sense of stability was lost. Bologna played well but it took them a long time to even give Donnarumma a ball to catch. The conceded goal was uneccessary and I'm not too happy with the rather nervous response. Then again, there were 11 players on the pitch who had never played a match together and we did enough.

Last edited:

Sognatore

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
bosnian di marzio
The only thing we should expect from Mandzukic is good hold-up play and hustle when Zlatan is out or otherwise when we're in need of that particular characteristic.

Goodfella

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Mandzukic will have his use soon enough. He was a terrible sub but he is still finding his feet after a long absence. I think he will be in prime condition for the derby, I dream of him sealing a win in that game.

But it's relevant to ask if he should even be on the field along with Ibra, or only play in his absence as CF.

How godlike is Ibra btw? Not his best performance but at 39 he's fighting for 90 mins. An absolute legend of the game.

We really needed someone like him back in December - well at least in those two awful draws against Genoa and Parma.

But not so much now that Ibra, Leao & Rebic are back.

However if Ibra is thinking of retiring after this season, or if his injury nightmare continues then it would be great to already have his replacement ready. Not necessarily as a starter, since I like Leao as striker.

Ibra will never be happy with an early unplanned substition, but it's time for him to accept it. He doesn't have Pioli by the balls anymore. The team showed they are able to win without him. We also have Mandzukic now as option.
I'm pretty sure the last 20 mins wouldn't have been as awful if Mandzukic had come on for Ibra instead of Leao, or maybe Mandzukic-Hauge on for Leao-Ibra.

yonggoh

Smoker
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Kaka, Nesta, Pirlo, Gourcuff, Oddo, Maldini
Oh wow... did we just finish a match without someone getting injured or suspended for the next game.... just need hakan and Simon back next weekend and we’ll be at full strength for the first time since forever

Velez Mostar

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Baresi, Maldini, Savicevic, Albertini, Weah, Redondo
Saelemakers and Bennacer are slowly returning, Theo and Zlatan easily the worst out there. Probably amongst the worst matches from both, since they put on a Milan shirt.

Tomori OK, doing much of the same as Kalulu, just being a bit faster/stronger. No point wasting 20-30 millions paying for overpriced PL player when you already have Kalulu, who's 3 years younger. Certainly a language barrier there with Tomori, but defence looks much more solid with Kjaer on the pitch.

Krunic and Mandzukic not doing any good, the first is simply not good enough, the latter not fit enough, after almost a full year without football.

We won on a rather bad day, or should we just sum up that Bologna defeated themselves by giving away two penalties? We seem to have lost the flow which we had prior to Juve, hope things will look better with Bennacer and Calhanoglu back to full fitness. However, still top of the table and all to play for, enjoy the moment!
FORZA MILAN

yonggoh

Smoker
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Kaka, Nesta, Pirlo, Gourcuff, Oddo, Maldini
Saelemakers and Bennacer are slowly returning, Theo and Zlatan easily the worst out there. Probably amongst the worst matches from both, since they put on a Milan shirt.

Tomori OK, doing much of the same as Kalulu, just being a bit faster/stronger. No point wasting 20-30 millions paying for overpriced PL player when you already have Kalulu, who's 3 years younger. Certainly a language barrier there with Tomori, but defence looks much more solid with Kjaer on the pitch.

Krunic and Mandzukic not doing any good, the first is simply not good enough, the latter not fit enough, after almost a full year without football.

We won on a rather bad day, or should we just sum up that Bologna defeated themselves by giving away two penalties? We seem to have lost the flow which we had prior to Juve, hope things will look better with Bennacer and Calhanoglu back to full fitness. However, still top of the table and all to play for, enjoy the moment!
FORZA MILAN

Agree about the momentum but... we?ve kinda not been able to recreate the level that we showed since our victory against napoli. We could?ve beaten any team in the league on that day.... I?d say we are currently behind inter juve and Atalanta and it was no mistake that we lost to them recently.

That type of assessment puts us as the 4th best team on current form but our good work combined with results elsewhere has put us in a very unique position that is worth exploring and sacrificing further. The season is still long to go.

Last edited:

Alo88

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Agree about the momentum but... we?ve kinda not been able to recreate the level that we showed since our victory against napoli. We could?ve beaten any team in the league on that day.... I?d say we are currently behind inter juve and Atalanta and it was no mistake that we lost to them recently.

That type of assessment puts us as the 4th best team on current form but our good work combined with results elsewhere has put us in a very unique position that is worth exploring and sacrificing further. The season is still long to go.
True, but let's not forget that no other team in Serie A has faced as many injuries, Covid cases and suspension at once since December as we did. It's basically two months we play 2-3 games per week with 5-7 players missing each game, most of them starters.

I'm saying this: Inter and Atalanta most probably would have crumbled. We didn't. That's huge and the reason why I'm always coming back to say that our squad depth is good and underrated.

That being said, playing so many games with such a reduced squad and little time to rest resulted in our players being much more physically exhausted than those of Inter and Atalanta. Which is a huge factor, fitness. IMO that's the reason why we don't seem very brilliant at the moment. At least not as brilliant and fresh as other teams.

With our injured players back and a little less tight gameplan from now on I hope the team to look more fresh and brilliant soon.

Trillske

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
However if Ibra is thinking of retiring after this season
Dont joke about this, he needs a CL run with Milan before he retires. I dont care he if plays for free and manages 2 games, it just needs to be done.

VultureSheva

Legendary Scout
Reaction score
DONNARUMMA - 7/10
ROMAGNOLI - 6.5/10
TOMORI - 6.5/10
CALABRIA - 6.0/10
HERNANDEZ - 5.5/10
KESSIE - 6.5/10
TONALI - 6/10
SAELEMAKERS - 6.0/10
REBIC - 6.5/10
LEAO - 6.5/10
IBRAHIMOVIC - 6.0/10

Bennacer - 5.5/10
Krunic - 5.5/10
Mandzukic - N/A

Saelemaekers did 3x more than Calabria in defence. Calabria was a joke.

Velez Mostar

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Baresi, Maldini, Savicevic, Albertini, Weah, Redondo

I'll be more then happy with CL comeback, we're still "only" 9 points ahead of 5th-6th placed teams, even with this unbelievable streak and great season. Things might change, fatigue will play a role sooner or later, like we saw some matches Theo and Hakan, they seemed to lack energy. Not so sure we've had more injuries/covid absences then other teams, though it feels like we've had.

Pioli's done an amazing job, no matter how the season ends.

VooDooDoll

))<>((
Reaction score
https://www.replaymatches.net/2021/01/bologna-vs-milan-full-match-highlights.html

finally watched whole game
- we had like 5 good/decent chances in first half but scored only from pk
- in second half we had maybe 2 average chances but again goal from pk
- bologna overall had like 4 good chances
- we pressed them well for 75 minutes, no much of being tired from players by that time
- last 10 minutes from first and second half (when bologna scored goal) were times when we were lost in defense
- in last minutes we were chaotic but didnt really help to have tired saele (and out of form), tired ibra, mandzu on wing when he isnt in good shape and krunic as acm...

game looked a bit different when you know final result.

Schedule