Week 23: Milan - Inter 21/02/2021 15:00 CET

Hitchens

In flux
New Era Vanguard
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Tier 1: Maldini, Nesta - Tier 2: Kaká, Seedorf, Shevchenko, Serginho, Theo, Leao, Ibrahimovic
EuOZjO4XYBELEM_

Biggest test of the season so far.

We are having a wonderful season, but we've struggled a bit since Christmas for various reasons. Lots of absences have caused us to field basically the entire squad over the course of the season so far, with great results. It really is a very strong squad. Lately we've been facing some harsh realities with losses against Juve, Atalanta and Spezia in the league. These losses have probably made the squad a bit uneasy.

For this game we enter the field after a hopefully succesful game against Red Star in Belgrade. With the exception of possibly Rebic and certainly Diaz, Pioli will have the entire squad at his disposal. Bennacer, Hakan and Kjaer, three pillars of or team looked rusty and uncomfortable against Spezia. I really hope Rebic is at least available for the derby, we need the option of what he brings to the team.

We can still win the Scudetto if we lose this game, but for me this game represents the ultimate test of the quality of this team. As we all know Inter is a very solid team in great form, but we have been as good if not better this season. This game is a lot about determination, toughness and mental preparedness. It is the chance to prove to everyone that this Milan is serious and a serious contender for the title.

My preferred starting XI depends a little on what answers the EL game gives us. Contrary to what at least some posters here have claimed, I think it's a strength and not a weakness that we have a mid week game to prepare for this. Before this week we played once a week for two weeks straight. With several returning starters we might even get the boost of them finding their feet.

I think the starting line-up should be as follows:

Gigio
Calabria - Kjaer/Tomori - Romagnoli - Theo
Kessie - Bennacer
Saelemaekers - Hakan - Leao
Ibra

For me the biggest decision point is Tomori/Kjaer. If Kjaer isn't 100% I wouldn't hesitate about starting Tomori. He might not match Lukakus brute strength, but he can certainly outrun him and that is a big concern with Kjaer and Ale on the field.

For LW I think Leao deserves the nod if Rebic is returning from his minor injury. This is a game with a lot of space to attack, and although it suits both players I like the prospect of Leao causing havoc. It will mean a disciplined performance from Theo, which I hope he's capable of.

It will be hard to swallow defeat in this game, but I caution people not to have meltdowns in that case. This will always be a 50/50 game, but one we're strong enough to hope to win this time.

Forza Milan!

Boban1982

Sempre Milan
Reaction score
After the disgraceful performance against Spezia a Derby is just what the teams needs to get things back on track.

A win puts us top again. This is the biggest Derby in years and I just hope the players put in one hell of a performance to take the points home.

For a Milan!

Hitchens

In flux
New Era Vanguard
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Tier 1: Maldini, Nesta - Tier 2: Kaká, Seedorf, Shevchenko, Serginho, Theo, Leao, Ibrahimovic
Good post by devoted_dm on MilanMania:

This is gonna be a crazy game. Inter will want to beat us to get a 4 point gap, and we'll want to beat them to go top of the table again. We have won too many games in the last year to lose confidence over one single (massive) f*ck up against a small team that played the game of their lives. Yesterday I was seriously worried about the upcoming games, but if this team is as mentally strong as it's appeared to be since May, we will bounce back again.

To be honest, having gained a bit of perspective on the Spezia game, I think the main thing that happened was what Romagnoli was honest enough to admit: We underestimated them. A lot. They're obviously not a bad team, they'd taken points off other big teams earlier this season, and we came into this game thinking it was going to be a walk in the park after beating Crotone 4-0.

Mario Ielpo said in an interview that even the reaction to Calabria's yellow card against Crotone was a sign that we weren't taking Spezia seriously enough. The players were all smiles, as if it wasn't really that big of a deal. We'd get the three points against Spezia anyway, they were already thinking about the derby. Did that attitude likely affect how they prepared for the game as well? Most likely yes. And having beaten Crotone so easily, I think the players never dreamed that we could lose this one. They were over-confident and probably lacked that extra bit of focus because of it. So this is a big and painful lesson for this young team. The next match is always the most important one.

VillaiN

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
I d put tomori in roma place. Kaku cant use speed against him and he can help theo with hakimi. But wont happen as usual.

Qaas

Vi må tage det som det kommer
Reaction score
Fav. Players
KAKA, Maldini, Nesta, Dida, Inzaghi, Sheva, TSilva, R9, Raul, Casillas, Schmeichel, Messi, Zlatan
Skipping this match

Nestafan

Long Hair > Mohawk
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Antonini, Crespo, Pirlo, Pippo, Kaka. Ibra, Gabbia, Calabria, Tonali, Mike, Kjaer, Tata, Oli

joyrider

Il Moderati
Staff member
Reaction score
Fuck this printer of the Aldi.

Pingu

American Calcio Milan
Stream Guru
Reaction score
Both teams have so much to play for here as the quote Hitchens shared. Inter NEED the Scudetto. Anything else than that for them is a failure. They will want as much distance as possible, beating us gives them +4 gap and potentially could see them with the better H2H as well with a favorable scoreline.

Whereas, a win for us puts us back top and after the Spezia game we cannot afford to slip up in the next few weeks - which is perhaps our hardest schedule left - if we're serious about the Scudetto challenge.

A draw favors neither team when others (Juve, Napoli - both depending on their game-in-hand result - and Roma) are breathing down the Milan team's necks with a draw). Still many points to play for, so even a loss is not the end of the world, but it seriously hurts any Scudetto talk which has been way too early from us fans, and the players, to talk about. Even top 4 is a questionmark with how much competition there is this year.

Not to sound repetitive, but it looks like another season (whether for Scudetto or top 4, depending on how the next 5 league games go) where we may need to rely on the results of other teams.

Forza AC Milan

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Both teams have so much to play for here as the quote Hitchens shared. Inter NEED the Scudetto. Anything else than that for them is a failure. They will want as much distance as possible, beating us gives them +4 gap and potentially could see them with the better H2H as well with a favorable scoreline.

Whereas, a win for us puts us back top and after the Spezia game we cannot afford to slip up in the next few weeks - which is perhaps our hardest schedule left - if we're serious about the Scudetto challenge.

A draw favors neither team when others (Juve, Napoli - both depending on their game-in-hand result - and Roma) are breathing down the Milan team's necks with a draw). Still many points to play for, so even a loss is not the end of the world, but it seriously hurts any Scudetto talk which has been way too early from us fans, and the players, to talk about. Even top 4 is a questionmark with how much competition there is this year.

Not to sound repetitive, but it looks like another season (whether for Scudetto or top 4, depending on how the next 5 league games go) where we may need to rely on the results of other teams.

Juve are playing Crotone at home. If we draw they will make up ground on both teams. Roma play at Benevento and they have been steam rolling small teams (more of a top 4 threat). Atalanta and Napoli play each other though so one of them or both wont make up much ground

Neruda

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini,Nesta,Zidane
Good post by devoted_dm on MilanMania:

So true. Even us fans i think many of us thought it would be easy 3 points

Thats why i personally was so shocked losing and it hit me hard for a couple days. Mistakes happen but lets bounce back

Hitchens

In flux
New Era Vanguard
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Daniele Doveri will officiate the game

Hitchens

In flux
New Era Vanguard
Reaction score
Fav. Players

sheva

suso's dog
Reaction score
Taking a break from work for this one, motherfuckers better deliver

VultureSheva

Legendary Scout
Reaction score
Sky: Calabria will take his role of the starter against Inter. Kessi? will be in the midfield together with Tonali while the extent of Bennacer?s injury needs to be understood. Ibra will of course be the center forward but behind him there are various solutions, the question to be resolved is Leao or Rebic, with Leao who has the advantage.

A_Wild_Homosexual

*Rejuvenation*
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Baresi - Maldini - Nesta - Jessica Alba
Tomo over Roma & Rebic over Leao.

I really miss having Diaz as an option.

Hitchens

In flux
New Era Vanguard
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Tomo over Roma & Rebic over Leao.

I really miss having Diaz as an option.

+1 We're lacking depth in options with Diaz out. He is also something completely different from Hakan for opposing teams to handle if we're stuck.

When is he back?

Fabio

U mirin brah?
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Kaká, Cafu, Ronaldinho, Pato, Dida, Gattuso, Balotelli, Borini, Honda, Saelemaekers
We will win this, believe it

Mr. Milanista

Milanista since Birth
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Nesta, Zidane, Figo, Romagnoli
Ffs start Rebic and not Leao at LW

joyrider

Il Moderati
Staff member
Reaction score
With qaas away, this will be a victory day.

sheva

suso's dog
Reaction score
Dollar Dollar sign​
Grande Davide, Tomori, PKK, Theo 'The Train' Hernandez
Tonals, Frank the Tank
SaladMaker Rebitch
Kebab Costa
Zlataninho​

Ibra better prepare some good roasts for the donkey beforehand, and hopefully will roast him live on the pitch

Sheva0172

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Shevchenko, Maldini, Pippo, Nesta
Please put Rebic over Saelemakers. I can’t take another game with the Belgium.

Schedule