Backdoor into the Champions league

Reaction score
Milan could sensationally be handed a place in the Champions League, as Bulgarian side CSKA Sofia face expulsion.

The Rossoneri were heartbroken when they were beaten to fourth place by Fiorentina last season and faced the indignity of sitting out the tournament they have made their own over the years.

But just as Milan’s fans and players got used to the idea of competing in the UEFA Cup, they may have been handed a lifeline.

Bulgaria’s FA has asked that champions CSKA Sofia are banned from the Champions League due to financial problems.

This would open up a space in the second preliminary round, which would be given to the side with the highest UEFA ranking that aren’t already involved in the competition – Milan.

There is a precedent for this kind of action, which also involves the Diavolo.

In 2006, Milan missed out on the Champions League due to the Calciopoli scandal but were reinstated into the third preliminary round on appeal – had the appeal failed Lens were ready to enter due to UEFA coefficient.

Should the world champions be allowed into the Champions League it may have vast implications for their summer transfer policy

http://www.channel4.com/sport/football_italia/jun4d.html
http://www.goal.com/en/Articolo.aspx?ContenutoId=722703

Not the most gratious way into the competition but i'll take it if it happens :-D

Last edited:

Armin__m

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Fav. Players
>>rossoneri<<
if the rules say we should play than i wouldn`t mind it..but if there is something illegal about this than i would probably be happier to see us play in the UEFA cup..

anyway,as the article says,if this happens it would have a huge effect on our transfer campaing..
we would have more money to spend and of course we would be much more attractive to the players we want to sign..

Tsar

Banned
Reaction score
I've looked into this, and its bullshit:

Firstly the Bulgarian FA will select a replacement - like how FIGC selected replacements in Calciopoli.

Secondly Sevilla have a higher Coefficient than Milan anyway, so it would be them not us who are replacements in that false scenario.

pippo83

Beginner
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Baresi, Maldini, Van Basten, Kaka, Pirlo, Seedorf, Gattuso, Pato and all other Rossoneri players..
Disappeared the hope of Milan to could play in Champions in the place of Cska Sofia. In fact will be the same Bulgarian federation to give the place that could be free, because the exoneration of Cska. The lucky team could be Levski Sofia :cry:

SHIT - Hope for Scudetto and Uefa Cup WIN!!!

m1ke

Primavera
Reaction score
Tsar said:
Secondly Sevilla have a higher Coefficient than Milan anyway, so it would be them not us who are replacements in that false scenario.
No they don't.

Your first scenario is more likely.

Rahja

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Kaka, Inzaghi, Gattuso, Crespo, Pirlo, Nesta, Shevchenko
Tsar said:
I've looked into this, and its bullshit:

Firstly the Bulgarian FA will select a replacement - like how FIGC selected replacements in Calciopoli.

ermmm...NOT

Tsar

Banned
Reaction score
The Coefficients used to determine the group stages by UEFA has Sevilla as 12th best club in Europe, and Milan as 24th.

Ashish

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
R.I.P. Papa Berlu, G, R9, Nesta, Rui, Maldini, Gattuso, Robert Wieckiewicz, Brendan Gleeson
we shouldnt to go to CL like this, but if we go we should win it :D
otherwise we would be a bigger joke than what we are now. why the fuck they have to bring this twist i was dreaming UEFA glory which would complete our trophy box :(

Last edited:

PUPO

Stiamo tornando
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Seedorf, Pippo, Totti, R80, Messi, Sheva
I still believe...Tsar don't be so negative all the time!

Tsar

Banned
Reaction score
Pupone said:
I still believe...Tsar don't be so negative all the time!
Its not being negative, its the truth, i'm willing to bet - alot, that Milan will not participate in the UEFA Champions League for the 08/09 season. Any takers? Name your price.

temo

Beginner
Reaction score
Tsar said:
The Coefficients used to determine the group stages by UEFA has Sevilla as 12th best club in Europe, and Milan as 24th.

Qualifying is determined by team ranking. We're in second place behind Chelsea. Sevilla is further down the list at seventh place. I believe you are being confused by last years co-efficient, and not looking at the team ranking which is what determines qualification.

FIGC didn't select Milan, but after the appeals it ended up that way because of where they sat in the league table. It appears the Bulgarian FA isn't moving in that direction (and it's probably too late if they are), but who knows what UEFA will do in the end anyways.

Tsar

Banned
Reaction score
^Thats last years, the table I have been given for group selection (I assume its the same for the begining of the competition also) has Milan at 24th.

Besides, its meaningless because the situation isn't even going to arrise where it matters.

Gattuso #8

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
so how big is the chanse that we'll play CL next year? :eek:

BTW: would a CL be good or bad for our transfer campaign this season :conf:

inomilan

Milan Icon
Reaction score
i don't want this...we didn't deserve it... we blasted Inter for getting the 06 scudetto...it's the same w/this scenario...we just didn't deserve it...this is not the way i expected Berlu to do...:D

temo

Beginner
Reaction score
Gattuso #8 said:

CSKA Sofia will either get an extension and get their books in order (one way or another) or we'll get the final spot. Those are the only two options unless UEFA does something strange (which they seem to do a lot). I'd give us less than a 50/50 to go in.

grounder

Incomplete & out of time
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Like you care?
This better not happen, next season is supposed to be the springboard back to the top, and I'd prefer the "honest" way of qualifying. Honest in showing the capability to compete in the CL, and our last season showed right against that.

Hellmutt

Primavera
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Van Basten, Savicevic, Shevchenko, Kaka
Gattuso #8 said:

Probably good :p

Rahja

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Kaka, Inzaghi, Gattuso, Crespo, Pirlo, Nesta, Shevchenko
grounder said:
This better not happen, next season is supposed to be the springboard back to the top, and I'd prefer the "honest" way of qualifying. Honest in showing the capability to compete in the CL, and our last season showed right against that.

true, but in the end nobody would mind i think ;)

diTa

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
Fav. Players
NESTA, Maldini, KAKA, Rio Ferdinand, Seedorf, Pirlo, Fabregas, Cana, Raul.
Somehow I have mixed feelings about this..
I got used to the idea of us playing the UEFA Cup, but more than that.. I really had high hopes that next season will be the season during which we regain our strength, and be real contenders in the Serie A!!
I'd rather have that scenario.. I don't want us to be handed a Champions League spot.. I want us to earn it!! I know it sounds pathetic.. but a year off should be better so that the season after the next we would be great in all fronts!!

We all know that even if we do get that spot.. we wont be able to make much of it.. We need to have a killer transfer campaign in order to be contenders for the title.. If this happens.. our management will use it as a reason to justify what will be a possibly a weak transfer campaign.

I don't know basically I'm not thrilled to hear this.. I got used to the idea of us playing a season in UEFA Cup.. and I had all my hopes burried in this upcoming season as the season we get back on our feet, and stand up for quite a few years to come.

However, whatever happens I hope it's for the best.
Forza Milan!!:D

Pirlo Fan

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Pirlo, Gattuso, Kaka, Nesta, Fabregas, Cannavaro, Buffon, Ribery, Berbatov
Just when I was preparing for a season in the UEFA Cup. Actually having something to look forward to on Thursdays, testing our wits against the likes of Genk, Austria Vienna, Everton...the list goes on.

If this does end up happening I hope we can use it wisely to continue improving the side. We'd definitely need to add a couple more players or so in addition to a big name striker if we were to end up competiting in Serie A+CL.

Ashish

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
R.I.P. Papa Berlu, G, R9, Nesta, Rui, Maldini, Gattuso, Robert Wieckiewicz, Brendan Gleeson
Milan is staying in UEFA cup

Disappeared the hope of Milan to could play in Champions in the place of Cska Sofia. In fact will be the same Bulgarian federation to give the place that could be free, becuase the exoneration of Cska. The lucky team could be Levski Sofia.
http://www.transfermarketweb.com/?action=read&idsel=17639
...........what were we thinking winning cl after this pathetic season so justice done, B&G recruit more guys :o

Tsar

Banned
Reaction score
ashish_skaria said:
Disappeared the hope of Milan to could play in Champions in the place of Cska Sofia. In fact will be the same Bulgarian federation to give the place that could be free, becuase the exoneration of Cska. The lucky team could be Levski Sofia.
http://www.transfermarketweb.com/?action=read&idsel=17639
...........what were we thinking winning cl after this pathetic season so justice done, B&G recruit more guys :o
LOL, there wasn't even enough time for anyone to take up my bet. :D

sLurPPP

il diavolo
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Leah Dizon, 3, 21 , 9MVB, 13, 7S, 22, 10RC, 4Alb, 7 Len, 10Savi
:o joke of the year?
I think this news is insulting Milan side.
we know that it will be replace by 2nd place from their league.

acerвιc wιт

Milano Siamo Noi!
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Paolo Maldini, Thiago Silva, Serginho, Kaká, Gennaro Gattuso, Kevin Prince Boateng & Filippo Inzaghi
Tsar said:
^Thats last years, the table I have been given for group selection (I assume its the same for the begining of the competition also) has Milan at 24th.

Besides, its meaningless because the situation isn't even going to arrise where it matters.
Tsar, give it up champ your wrong. Milan are ranked second to only Chelsea and thus higher up in the rankings than Sevilla.

People, if we are allowed entry be it because of some highly unusal circumstances we have earned the right to enter as we have been one of the best teams in Europe over the past 5 or so years. Things happen for a reason and if we happen to play UCL football next season then I don't see why this is a bad thing. FFS lighten up. This is HUGE news!

Besfort

Milan Legend
Reaction score
I wouldn't want this CL. We didn't deserve it, simply. We would sound like Merda who celebrated their stolen scudetto from Juventus like they won it by themselfs. :rolleyes:

Let's focus for the next season and reach the first place or at least top 4 and then we can participate.

Anyway, I think if CSKA doesn't play there, Levski may take that spot.

acerвιc wιт

Milano Siamo Noi!
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Paolo Maldini, Thiago Silva, Serginho, Kaká, Gennaro Gattuso, Kevin Prince Boateng & Filippo Inzaghi
FMD it's not like we imposed a scandal on CSKA Sofia or something. They fucked up and we have the opportunity to take advantage of it. I don't see what the big deal is. Just stop whinging and be happy for once, FFS.

sLurPPP

il diavolo
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Leah Dizon, 3, 21 , 9MVB, 13, 7S, 22, 10RC, 4Alb, 7 Len, 10Savi
we should check the UEFA rules first.
first impression makes me very happy.
At second thought i think it insulting us.

drucurl

Banned
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Ronaldo, Maldini, Nesta, Kaká, Ba, Silva
Man above me:
I agree totally that we should humbly accept Uefa Cup and fight for the Scudetto. WE are Milan dammit not "backdoor sluts 5" :head:

Schedule