Giacomo Bonaventura Thread

Neruda

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini,Nesta,Zidane
its not one bad game. its the fact that hes 28 and never played a big game before :lol: you could see his fear

loser tbh we need worldclass mid to take his position

ibelongtomilan

Bohemian Rhapsody
Reaction score
Bona is a mediocre player for a midtable team, or maybe above average, he has decent pace, some dribbling skills, he is a jack of all trade type players, he has nothing special, no WC potential, the problem that make him never be a WC player are his decision making and creativity.
Well he suits to be a starter for atalanta, samp... . But if we want to aim higher than a EL spot, he need to stay away from our XI.

AndreiX

AC Milan Icon
Reaction score
Fav. Players
sometimes
another weak game. had 2 decent shot attempts but was overall bad, both in decision making and work-rate

Ronin

Milansochist
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Nesta, Gattuso, Rui Costa, Albertini, Serginho, Seedorf, Redondo, Ibrahimovic, Ronaldinho
We really need at least one creative midfielder and Jack is not that one. He is a good squad player to have, but not the one to rely on 100% of the time.

ChinaMilan

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
i'm a bona fan, but he is not the same player after the injury, so scared to run into spaces like he used to be nor his dribbling skills are impressive like last season or seasons earlier.

having said that, he is still one of our good performers, i won't sell him, he can cover many positions on the left and midfield so that he can be a starter if he regain his last year form back or at least a decent sub, the difference between very strong teams and okish teams, is that the very strong teams has a decent subs, Bona(in case if a WC midfielder arrive both in LW and LCM) can be our ace sub.

and he is still 1000000 miles a head of Hakan regardless how bad he played in arsenal game.

AndreiX

AC Milan Icon
Reaction score
Fav. Players
sometimes
he's definitely slower and less agile than he was before his injury.

ChinaMilan

Milan Veteran
Reaction score

even almighty messi had an off year after his injury, not comparing the 2 but many players are not the same after a long injury, some returns in a year some don't, i still believe and hope that he will come back strong next year.

Mexes5

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Seedorf, Gattuso, Kaka, Inzaghi, Shevchenko, Mexes, Pato, Pazzini
I'd rather him on the wing than Hakan.

helloAgain

Milan Veteran
Reaction score

i think he is also gaining some muscles and that might be effecting his performance. what lets me down most is, he has lost his dribbling ability in tight spaces. which was his strongest tool imo.

Last edited:

milanator

Milan Legend
Reaction score
I love and always loved that he tries shots frequently, of course this has a negative side too but it´s important to have players who have the guts to shoot.
Came close to scoring with a shot, I feel like if he scores one he could start a little streak.

Apart from that I noticed that he gets much more used to CM, he doesn´t avoid the center of the pitch and isn´t as focused on the left side as he used to do.

AC Kid

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Kaka'<3, Pato, Romagnoli, Gigio, Marco Asensio, Andre Silva
He needs to step it up a notch. We need his good form now more than ever. Sell if he disappoints

ibelongtomilan

Bohemian Rhapsody
Reaction score
I love and always loved that he tries shots frequently, of course this has a negative side too but it´s important to have players who have the guts to shoot.
Came close to scoring with a shot, I feel like if he scores one he could start a little streak.

Apart from that I noticed that he gets much more used to CM, he doesn´t avoid the center of the pitch and isn´t as focused on the left side as he used to do.

or he just doesnt have a single clue about what to do next and then has to go for a shot?
his gut should tell him his shooting skill is garbage, same with his decision making

milanator

Milan Legend
Reaction score
or he just doesnt have a single clue about what to do next and then has to go for a shot?
his gut should tell him his shooting skill is garbage, same with his decision making

If he is 20m from the goal and the defense is in order a shot is as good as a pass.

Bona has a great shooting technique, apart from being good at normal shots and free kicks he is also one of the best if not the best player in the squad when it comes to volleys.

Finding the back of the net is related to form too, look at Hakan who is one of the best free kick takers in the world and has not set his aim yet, does not take away from the fact that he, Bona and Suso have a great shooting technique.

Rumpelstiltskin

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Daniel Maldini.
It's possible that Gattuso has instructed Jack, Hakan and Suso to take more shots from distance, probably a part of our game plan because our CF's have been sub par.

As you've rightly pointed out, all three have excellent shooting technique and maybe they're doing it successfully in training. But it's clearly not working out in matches, and we've been wasting a lot of potential scoring chances.

vidarth

Ibra Supremacy
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Sheva, Ibrahimovic, Kaka, Nesta, Maldini, Gattuso, Seedorf, Ronaldinho
When you put it that way...jack and hakan shooting makes a little more sense.

I mean passing to kalinic = 100% chance gone.

Polotelli

Milan Legend
SAPL Moderator
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maignan, Tomori, Kjaer, Theo, Bennacer, Leao, Giroud
I feel like he only shines when everybody else sucks

irkuysm

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
He has to go or bench.

No way we can go top with him as main eleven now.

leaf

Sack Pioli
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Ronaldo, Kaká, Maldini, Nesta, CR7, Seedorf, Dwight Yorke, Quaresma
Engineered just for you bro :)
front%20porch%20bench%20dimensions.jpg

helloAgain

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
really disappointed in him this season. he somehow lost all his dribbling ability which was his main strength.

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Maldini, Buffon, Rino*Pirlo*Clarence, Sheva, Totti, Ibra, Pippo, Giacomo, Carlo, Il Dottore
It's possible that Gattuso has instructed Jack, Hakan and Suso to take more shots from distance, probably a part of our game plan because our CF's have been sub par.

As you've rightly pointed out, all three have excellent shooting technique and maybe they're doing it successfully in training. But it's clearly not working out in matches, and we've been wasting a lot of potential scoring chances.

When you put it that way...jack and hakan shooting makes a little more sense.

I mean passing to kalinic = 100% chance gone.

I thought this was quite clear.. one of the players also mentioned this in some interview in the past few months. And before the season started, I had written here that we'd only get somewhere this season if our attacking midfielders ie Suso, Bona and Hakan scored a significant number of goals. Our strikers are mid-table to late-table Serie A level and therefore this is a necessity.

But that doesn't let Bona off the hook. The number of gilt-edged chances he has wasted in the last few matches is ridiculously high.

VooDooDoll

))<>((
Reaction score
bona was usually average, just in the past all the balls were going to him because he was only one able to create anything (surrounded by polis, bertos, van bibers, muntaris etc). He was shooting a lot and some of it end with goals, sure he had some good games but now with hakan and suso he has less opportunities to do anything and his mistakes are more annoying. Also because in the middle is less space (for shooting or dribbling) and counter attacks are more danger you cant risk with loosing ball or doing stupid things (like is usually harmless in attack as winger).

Boban1982

Sempre Milan
Reaction score
It would all have been different against Juve had Bonaventura and Suso not completely fluffed promising positions. Bonaventura is the epitome of the mediocre Milan of the last 5 years. He made me so angry during the Juve game I could have smashed my TV screen. Time and time again he messed up attacks for us.

Bona is slow, average at passing, poor at shooting and does not have the composure to be a player in a CL level team. He is a bench player at best.

Schedule