Milan Icon
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Seedorf, Zidane, Inzaghi
Pirlo: "I hope to stay in Milan"

Source: MilanNews

typical strategy to say " I am not Juda"

..."even if i just signed a better contract"

Pirlo has never really showed a big Love for his shirt. We can't blame him for that but these kind of declarations are bullshit.

football is football.

naive_harry

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Inzaghi, Gattuso, Kaka, Pato, Abate, Nocerino and in that order
typical strategy to say " I am not Juda"

..."even if i just signed a better contract"

Pirlo has never really showed a big Love for his shirt. We can't blame him for that but these kind of declarations are bullshit.

football is football.

:fp: yeah right, start questioning everything about the guy :thumbsdown:

Balbinka6000

Primavera
Reaction score
I wont cry if he leaves, wont whine if he stays. Most important thing for me is that we may loose best player topic ever - so much drama, passion and hatred on these 396 pages :)

manutd fan

EPL Captain
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Eric Cantona, Paul Scholes, Van Nistlerooy, Valencia
I never said that. I said "his passing is good but he's no Lamps etc etc etc". I structured the sentence badly though. What I meant was that despite his good passing he isn't as VALUABLE as a CM as the other guys listed

Ah, my bad.

masterofnaiads

Drummer Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Zidane, Shevchenko, Pirlo, Gattuso, Inzaghi, Rivaldo, Kaka, Forlan, Cocu, Riquelme, Cafu
No Juve deal, insists Pirlo

Andrea Pirlo has rejected talk that he has already agreed to join Juventus. “I’d spend another 10 years here at Milan.”

The midfielder’s contract expires next month and there have been suggestions that he is all set for a switch to Turin.

However, speaking with the Corriere della Sera, he insisted that nothing had been decided about his future.

“It’s not true about Juventus,” he stated. “If I had already signed with Juve then why would I need to talk to Milan?

“I’ll be speaking with Milan Vice-President Adriano Galliani in the coming days and then we’ll make a decision.

“However, both parties have to agree. If there are the right conditions in place and if they are happy then I would be happy to stay. I’d spend another 10 years here.”

Pirlo is just one of numerous high profile players at the club who have been told to wait until the end of the season before discussing new terms. Teammate Clarence Seedorf criticised that decision yesterday.

“It’s now the time for the club to let us know of their intentions,” Pirlo, the 2006 World Cup winner, added.

“Everyone is free to make their own decision. If there is no more room for the old guard then there will be no problem. It makes no sense to remain here at all costs.

“But I still feel young, I feel as if I can play at the highest level for another three or four years. I’m sure of what I am saying. That’s why a one-year contract makes no sense.

“I still want to win important trophies and for that reason it is right that I’ll continue to play in Europe.”

Pirlo will be 32 later this month.

http://www.football-italia.net/may13d.html

Ash

Swag Maestro
Reaction score
Posted this on The Offside, thought it might be relevant over here too:

Everytime someone bothers to argue that Pirlo may not be a vital part of the team any longer, the fanboys bring up his performances from ancient times. They make it out as if Milan would not survive without their golden boy and that there is NO ONE in the world currently capable of replacing him. They clear seem to forget that Milan no longer play in a style that does not really accomodate Pirlo nor they seem to care that football has evolved a lot since 2006 and that players are expected to be more than one dimensional in their play. I find it laughable that someone would compare Xavi with Pirlo, especially considering Xavi is more complete footballer than Pirlo ever was. Yes Pirlo was great in 2006, one of the best players back then even. But we seem to forget that Pirlo also had Gattuso and Seedorf to cover for his weaknesses. Is it really a coincidence that the moment these players started to decline Pirlo's weaknesses kept getting exposed on a regular basis.

These are Pirlo's stats since 2006:

2006/07

48 GP, 3 Goals, 9 Assists

2007/08

40 GP, 5 Goals, 11 Assists

2008/09

29 GP, 2 Goals, 2 Assists

2009/10

44 GP, 1 Goal, 4 Assists

2010/11

21 GP. 1 Goal, 3 Assists

Now tell me whether those stats are of a player out of form or in decline?

We can give excuses that the team post 2007 was mainly shit and suffered from a lack of investment. But what makes some people so sure that Pirlo wasnt part of the problem?. Some say that Seedorf has been shittier than Pirlo in the past few years and that he should go before him. But these are Seedorf's stats post 2006:

2006/07

41 GP, 10 Goals, 7 Assists

2007/08

38 GP, 9 Goals, 6 Assists

2008/09

35 GP, 6 Goals, 6 Assists

2009/10

31 GP, 6 Goals, 7 Assists

2010/11

38 GP, 3 Goals, 6 Assists

And these are stats of a Seedorf that is 4 years older than Pirlo. So on what basis do the fanboys argue that Pirlo deserves to stay ahead of Seedorf?

Even Ronnie in his two seasons made more impact than Pirlo has made in his last 4. And yes, we can all agree that selling Ronnie was the right thing to do.

- He could play in only one position
- He disrupted the balance of the team
- He was on wages that did not justify his performances on the pitch
- He was easily closed down
- He couldnt defend to save his life bla bla bla...

Hmm...remind you of someone else we know and love?. And no I am NOT defending Ronnie either....

So forgive me if I expected more from our midfield maestro, our golden boy, one of our famed senatores in the last few years...

SpartanMilan

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Pirlo, Maldini, Nesta, Thiago Silva, Theo
Dude, they play different roles, which is why stats alone is a terrible way to compare players imo.

When Pirlo has played as a LCM this year, he has looked better than he has at CM, but he hasnt gotten a ton of chances to play there. Most Pirlo fans dont want him to play as a deep lying playmaker anymore, but as a LCM he can still positively contribute to the team without a doubt

IKi

Reaction score
I am so much confused about this case. Some web-pages (for example Goal.com) say that Pirlo has signed the deal with Juve. Yeah of course the team needs some young fresh midfielders but still, I can't imagine Pirlo in a Juve shirt. HAve nothing much against the team trough. I would prefer to see him retire at Ac Mian and somehow celebrate his great and devoted years :(

Ash

Swag Maestro
Reaction score
Dude, they play different roles, which is why stats alone is a terrible way to compare players imo.

When Pirlo has played as a LCM this year, he has looked better than he has at CM, but he hasnt gotten a ton of chances to play there. Most Pirlo fans dont want him to play as a deep lying playmaker anymore, but as a LCM he can still positively contribute to the team without a doubt

So lemme get this straight, you are gonna argue that because Pirlo is only effective playing in one position (whereas Seedorf who has been forced to play all over the midfield in the past few years) is why his form has been so shit?

:fp:

Forgive me if I want a player more versatile and more than one dimensional rather than Pirlo...

MilanMB

Serendipity
Reaction score
Ash

Great job with that post, but you simply can't compare Pirlo's impact with Seedorf and Dinho based on goal and assist stats. Could you do the same with MVB for example?

I agree though, that he is a limited player.

SpartanMilan

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
So lemme get this straight, you are gonna argue that because Pirlo is only effective playing in one position (whereas Seedorf who has been forced to play all over the midfield in the past few years) is why his form has been so shit?

:fp:

Forgive me if I want a player more versatile and more than one dimensional rather than Pirlo...

haha Seedorf has been able to play a lot of roles, but honestly he has played really poorly in most of them other than the last two months or so... but I guess its easy to forget that.

and when Seedorf is bad he is a much bigger liabiltity than Pirlo is.

People always seem to not notice that Pirlo covers a ton of ground every game and makes many quality interceptions and he isnt as bad defensively as he is made out to be, he just isnt going to be a great anchor in Allegri's midfield.

And Pirlo's form has not been bad, he got hurt and missed games but other than that he was not bad at all. But you have your blinders on so Pirlo will suck no matter what :fp:

what are Bommel's goals and assist numbers this year? he has 14 games for us so it isnt that different than Pirlo and him. No one doubts he has been excellent for us, but numbers alone would not show that...

Last edited:

Ash

Swag Maestro
Reaction score
Ash

Great job with that post, but you simply can't compare Pirlo's impact with Seedorf and Dinho based on goal and assist stats. Could you do the same with MVB for example?

I agree though, that he is a limited player.

Obviously not, but there are one way to. I would have tried with a more detailed comparision, but unfortunately I do not have a computer stashed in my brain.

Obviously MVB's stats would be vastly inferior, but then again his main role is that of a DM and I think we can all agree that Pirlo cant defend. Then what is left for Pirlo to do, other than provide assists and goals?. Isnt he supposed to be the creative midfielder in the team? The Midfield Maestro? The Architect?

If the fanboys are gonna compare Xavi with Pirlo and say that Pirlo is the better player, what do they have to back up their claims? Certainly not the stats...

Sven

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Obviously not, but there are one way to. I would have tried with a more detailed comparision, but unfortunately I do not have a computer stashed in my brain.

Obviously MVB's stats would be vastly inferior, but then again his main role is that of a DM and I think we can all agree that Pirlo cant defend. Then what is left for Pirlo to do, other than provide assists and goals?. Isnt he supposed to be the creative midfielder in the team? The Midfield Maestro? The Architect?

If the fanboys are gonna compare Xavi with Pirlo and say that Pirlo is the better player, what do they have to back up their claims? Certainly not the stats...

Pirlo function is not to assist and score, he plays too deep on the midfield for that. That is the reason why people cites Van Bommel, albeit different players, they use the same part of the field. It's hard to score or assist from that position. His first and foremost role was to make the transition between defense and attack. That was Ancelotti whole idea when he put him there (try to get what Redondo was supposed to do).

MilanMB

Serendipity
Reaction score
Pirlo gets a lot of shit, but no one can't deny the work that he actually puts in. He's like the glue holding our team together when he's playing.

The only problem is that he needs certain players around him. That's why I don't think it's worth having him around, we can't rebuild the team for him.

Sven

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Anyway let's continue with the statistcs:

Pirlo played 1094 minutes in Serie A this season (16 games). Not sure about how many minutes in front of the defense, and how many as LCM though.

He is the player who made more passes/per minute and has one of the the best rates of succesful passing (975 passes / 841 succesful).

His tackles are not impressive though - 23 tackles / 19 succesful.

While Van Bommel, on about the same minutes (1081) use to see less the ball (748 passes / 661 usefull) but has a much better tackling rate (46 tackles / 37 succesful).

Last edited:

A Wild Homosexual

*Rejuvenation*
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Baresi - Maldini - Nesta - Jessica Alba
Again no one is gonna answer when was Pirlo among our best midfielder ?
I can list many years where Seedorf was but when was Pirlo , not our first , fuck it when was he our second best midfielder.
Ever!!!!!!!!!!
ROFL about him being the best midfielder in the world.
Seedorf was almost always better.
Both deserve to go & the same goes with Gatu & rotten Pippo & its about fucking time.
But if I wanna list who we should keep first then its like the following :
1-Gatu
2-Seedorf
3-Pirlo
4-Pippo

Ash

Swag Maestro
Reaction score
Anyway let's continue with the statistcs:

Pirlo played 1094 minutes in Serie A this season (16 games). Not sure about how many minutes in front of the defense, and how many as LCM though.

He is the player who made more passes/per minute and has one of the the best rates of succesful passing (975 passes / 841 succesful).

His tackles are not impressive though - 23 tackles / 19 succesful.

While Van Bommel, on about the same minutes (1081) use to see less the ball (748 passes / 661 usefull) but has a much better tackling rate (46 tackles / 37 succesful).

Pirlo pass completion rate: 86.26%

Van Bommel pass completion rate: 88.4%

What's your point?. Your stats just show that Pirlo just attempts more passes, that's all, not that he has had a better pass completion rate than Van Bommel's. It's like saying Lassana Diarra is better than Xavi because he attempts more passes than him.

Out of all the games Pirlo has started, less than half has been at LCM just like out of all the games Van Bommel has started, majority (but not all) has been at CDM.

Of course, I am not looking to compare the two like some have, their roles on the pitch are vastly different. But while Van Bommel has gone about his job brilliantly, the same could not be said of Pirlo.

Van Bommel - A DM who has some playmaking ability

Pirlo - A playmaker who has little to nothing defensive ability

Last edited:

Sven

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I made no point actually. Just put some stats that can be useful.

Anyway Pirlo getting more of the ball just highlight his function - transition between attack and defense. While Van Bommel is more of a traditional DM.

samir10

Moaaarr Attackers :proud:
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Gattuso, Shevchenko, Boban, Baresi, MVB, Inzaghi, Riquelme
as much as i love pirlo for what he is and what he has done for milan i can't go against numbers. milan is much more solid with mvb both offensive and defensive. one could say pirlo was injured this season and was never really 100% fit but you can compare his previous years statistics to newcomer mvb who has never before played in serie a and the dutchman will once again win it. perhaps it's for the best if he leave but if he does he will be missed.

SpartanMilan

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
I see no problem with a midfield of
Prince--Bommel--Pirlo
next season supporting a real CAM. We are developing Merkel to be the LCM of the future, so we can develop him behind Pirlo there for a year or two while Pirlo can still play at a high level and then Merkel can take over

flyingduck#7

Beginner
Reaction score
I understand why people don't want to see him play anymore on DM since we need true DM like bommel not pseudo-DM like him. But Pirlo still has a lot qualities to offer if he be played in LCM. This what allegri wanted to try before Pirlo got injured. He really could exploit his creavity from this position with less defending load on his shoulders.

He has good dribbling, crazy pass and long shot. If Ganso is unique player, as some people here said, then pirlo is. About his mobility, i agree in certain degree that he's not the most dynamic player but he moves a lot actually also he was DM so he had to keep his line along the match.

I hope Milan won't let Juve or other club get him for free.

KujaIX

Mexes & Muntari fanboy
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Current team
Pirlo's tackling rate - 19/23
Van Bommel - 37/46.

If anything. Pirlo has a better rate... Double Pirlo's games and you get 46, then double his successful tackles and you have 38.

I know he probably wouldn't keep it up, but he's had enough game for it to be a fair predictor.

Sven

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Pirlo's tackling rate - 19/23
Van Bommel - 37/46.

If anything. Pirlo has a better rate... Double Pirlo's games and you get 46, then double his successful tackles and you have 38.

I know he probably wouldn't keep it up, but he's had enough game for it to be a fair predictor.

Yes, but they have about the same game time. Van Bommel is more combative, so he tackles a lot more, same way that Pirlo will get more the ball on his feet and send more passes on the same game time. Though you're right, they have about the same succesful rate on tackles.

SpartanMilan

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Pirlo doesnt tackle as much but he does intercept a ton of passes.

As a DM his defensive skills are sub par, but as a LCM I think they are perfectly adequate

Mrk

Il Capitano
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Nesta, Inzaghi, Costacurta, Rui Costa, Sheva
Pirlo doesnt tackle as much but he does intercept a ton of passes.

As a DM his defensive skills are sub par, but as a LCM I think they are perfectly adequate

Agree, I think it's clear that Allegri prefers a true defensive midfielder, whether it be Van Bommel or Ambrosini - Pirlo at LCM is a good option providing that he's on reduced wages.

Schedule