The Rumour Commode XXIX: The real Maldoban era.

Which nickname do you think fits best for the Maldini and Boban duo?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

vB9

Man with a Plan
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Schmeichel, Maldini, Maradona and ME
:thumbsup:

He actually wanted Ibra + Fabregas aka experienced champions over the likes of Piatek + Paqueta but was forced to go down the young player route by Gazidis (thank God his contract expires in summer).

It's funny how he's been made to eat humble pie and revisit the transfer a year later and the results speak for themselves...

This is why I dont get yr beef with M+B... the same gazidis is their boss too.

Leo is hot-headed and told gazidis to feck off and walked... M+B are playing the longer game with him.

Hitchens

In flux
New Era Vanguard
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Tier 1: Maldini, Nesta - Tier 2: Kaká, Seedorf, Shevchenko, Serginho, Theo, Leao, Ibrahimovic
I don't think Rangnick just walks into Calcio and just nails it. He's been successful in Germany and in the Austrian world of sports business.

People treating him as a sure thing for clubs on the rise in Germany is one thing, but Milan is already a huge club our last decade notwithstanding, and also the world of transfers and relationships with other clubs seems hard to just walk into without being italian and or familiar with Calcio.

People are cheering on axing the two only positives about our current set up, two directors who have done very well to get our squad in the right direction and who symbolize this club and are talked about with reverence by all of football Europe. Yeah, axe them and give the entire club to Rangnick and Gazidis. The Hugh Janus dream.

Sognatore

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
bosnian di marzio
Agree about continuity at Lazio/Atalanta regarding sporting directors although I thought you were talking about managers.

Regardless, at least Tare and Sartori had some credibility in their roles (10/20 years experience respectively) whereas Bodini have exactly zero which is why things are the way they are. The big mistake was getting rid of Leo last season whose decisions got us within a point of CL and not following through on the SMS signing who's turned Lazio into title challengers.

Hopefully Elliott have learned from their decision to gamble the season away and will appoint quality professionals in summer be it from Germany or Italy.

I clarified the reasonable viewpoint on Bodini last page. There's insufficient data for a reasonable judgement today. People choose their stances prematurely. Surely some people didn't have the same idea of Tare last season when they ended up 8th. Just as people probably had a different "fixed" idea of the then recently mediocre albian player when he was appointed.

Thenebra

Milan Legend
Reaction score
I don't think Rangnick just walks into Calcio and just nails it. He's been successful in Germany and in the Austrian world of sports business.

People treating him as a sure thing for clubs on the rise in Germany is one thing, but Milan is already a huge club our last decade notwithstanding, and also the world of transfers and relationships with other clubs seems hard to just walk into without being italian and or familiar with Calcio.

People are cheering on axing the two only positives about our current set up, two directors who have done very well to get our squad in the right direction and who symbolize this club and are talked about with reverence by all of football Europe. Yeah, axe them and give the entire club to Rangnick and Gazidis. The Hugh Janus dream.

Sognatore

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
bosnian di marzio
And btw

Tare's Lazio contract expired at the end of the 2007–08 season. He then accepted a non-playing role at Lazio, becoming the club's team manager. On April 2009 he completed a course in order to obtain abilitation as sporting director

Kojak

CAPO DEI CAPI
Reaction score
This is why I dont get yr beef with M+B... the same gazidis is their boss too.

Leo is hot-headed and told gazidis to feck off and walked... M+B are playing the longer game with him.

Then they should've just rejected his offer and walked away like Leo because by agreeing to stay they aren't being true to themselves and their previous statements and history with the club.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to forsee that signing half a dozen youngsters and hiring a midtable coach was never going to work out.

Hitchens

In flux
New Era Vanguard
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Tier 1: Maldini, Nesta - Tier 2: Kaká, Seedorf, Shevchenko, Serginho, Theo, Leao, Ibrahimovic
I think Maldini will have his way and that we will hire Allegri. Hopefully under new owners.

ZBoban

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Agreed...that's why I'm so pissed at Maldini + Boban. They talked a good game in the past and criticised previous regimes for failing to buy top players but the minute they took control they just repeated the same mistakes (even Mirabellend managed to sign Bonucci). I feel conned.
I get it but to be fair they haven't had the budget and freedom to go out and splash cash around like Mirabelli had in first season. It has not even been one full season with them at the helm.

Kojak

CAPO DEI CAPI
Reaction score
This is not true unless you call Ibra a liar.

I don't know what he said but it makes zero sense to join a midtable Milan with no chance of CL at Xmas when we were in the running until the end last season.

Tobinho

Decisive Hours
Reaction score

Yeah I'm struggling to get that enthused about Rangnick.

Clearly he's successful as a sporting director for RB now and has had great results in 2 short stints managing Leipzig, but only in the unique circumstance of having a dominant club in a smaller league as a feeder club for a project to make a nothing German club a contender. Salzburg were already dominant in Austria before his involvement and he has the support of RB who are clearly very keen to become massive in football and are using Salzburg to build Leipzig. 6 players in the current Leipzig squad were signed from another RB franchise. This seems pretty far away from the situation he'd find himself in at Milan.

Aside from that, in a management career spanning over 30 years he has won almost nothing and only once stayed at a club for more than 100 games. In his times with established Bundesliga clubs he was fired by Schalke and Stuttgart for extremely poor results in his second seasons there and resigned weeks into the start of his second season (which was only 6 months after taking over, including a summer) during his later stint at Schalke due to exhaustion.

The two clubs he stayed at for more than two seasons (as manager) were Hannover and Hoffenheim. He took over Hannover in the Bundesliga 2, got promoted, has a good first season in the Bundesliga and then was fired for a relegation level performance in the second. He took over Hoffenheim in the German 3rd division and got back to back promotions. After 2.5 seasons in the Bundesliga he resigned mid-season citing a disagreement over a player sale.

In fact it looks like he has only once completed a full season with an established club, Stuttgart, when he finished 8th in that full season but was then fired the following February with Stuttgart in the relegation zone and he had to drop down to the 3rd division for his next job.

He's never managed or worked at a club anywhere near the size of Milan, has been fired from the biggest clubs he has worked at after short periods and with poor results and has only achieved success recently and in this unique RB scenario with feeder clubs at his beck and call.

Am I missing something?

Alo88

Milan Legend
Reaction score
I don't know what he said but it makes zero sense to join a midtable Milan with no chance of CL at Xmas when we were in the running until the end last season.
A couple of weeks before Zlatans arrival I posted an editorial of Suma saying that Leo tried to get Zlatan in January 2019 with the consent of Gazidis. But Zlatan refused as he didn't felt quite ready physically to return to Europe and extended his contract with LA for another year.

... a story that Zlatan confirmed at his presentation when he was asked if it's true that Milan tried to get him already in January 2019 and if yes why it didn't materialize. He also added that Maldini basically was pushing again for the move since October 2019.

If Gazidis in all of this wasn't okay with hiring experience on a reasonable fee and wage we wouldn't have tried all this long to get him here. Same goes basically for Kjaer and Begovic I think.

Last edited:

Kojak

CAPO DEI CAPI
Reaction score
I get it but to be fair they haven't had the budget and freedom to go out and splash cash around like Mirabelli had in first season. It has not even been one full season with them at the helm.

Honestly I can't see them improving next season unless they work under a seasoned professional like Rangnick or Tare/Sartori or we appoint a top coach by some miracle (Allegri/Sarri) who will demand top players.

I love them both as players but Mirabellend and Leo were kicked to the curb after just one season so why should they get to stay? Results are results and I'm tired of seeing inferior clubs dominating positions in the table that should be OURS by right.

Congo Powers

⭐⭐
Reaction score
Fav. Players
B&G, RuiCosta, Pippo, Sheva, Stam, Kaka, Abbiati, Cassano, Mexes, TH19, RL10, KPB, 45, Krunic
Yeah I'm struggling to get that enthused about Rangnick.

Clearly he's successful as a sporting director for RB now and has had great results in 2 short stints managing Leipzig, but only in the unique circumstance of having a dominant club in a smaller league as a feeder club for a project to make a nothing German club a contender. Salzburg were already dominant in Austria before his involvement and he has the support of RB who are clearly very keen to become massive in football and are using Salzburg to build Leipzig. 6 players in the current Leipzig squad were signed from another RB franchise. This seems pretty far away from the situation he'd find himself in at Milan.

Aside from that, in a management career spanning over 30 years he has won almost nothing and only once stayed at a club for more than 100 games. In his times with established Bundesliga clubs he was fired by Schalke and Stuttgart for extremely poor results in his second seasons there and resigned weeks into the start of his second season (which was only 6 months after taking over, including a summer) during his later stint at Schalke due to exhaustion.

The two clubs he stayed at for more than two seasons (as manager) were Hannover and Hoffenheim. He took over Hannover in the Bundesliga 2, got promoted, has a good first season in the Bundesliga and then was fired for a relegation level performance in the second. He took over Hoffenheim in the German 3rd division and got back to back promotions. After 2.5 seasons in the Bundesliga he resigned mid-season citing a disagreement over a player sale.

In fact it looks like he has only once completed a full season with an established club, Stuttgart, when he finished 8th in that full season but was then fired the following February with Stuttgart in the relegation zone and he had to drop down to the 3rd division for his next job.

He's never managed or worked at a club anywhere near the size of Milan, has been fired from the biggest clubs he has worked at after short periods and with poor results and has only achieved success recently and in this unique RB scenario with feeder clubs at his beck and call.

hellllllllllllll no

bundesfags hyping this fodder lmao

Sognatore

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
bosnian di marzio
You're likely so tired of it that you end up not thinking straight

Kojak

CAPO DEI CAPI
Reaction score
A couple of weeks before Zlatans arrival I posted an editorial of Suma saying that Leo tried to get Zlatan in January 2019 with the consent of Gazidis. But Zlatan refused as he didn't felt quite ready physically to return to Europe and extended his contract with LA for another year.

... a story that Zlatan confirmed at his presentation he was asked if it's true that Milan tried to get him already in January 2019 and if yes why it didn't materialize. He also added that Maldini basically was pushing again for the move since October 2019.

If Gazidis in all of this wasn't okay with hiring experience on a reasonable fee and wage we wouldn't have tried all this long to get him here. Same goes basically for Kjaer and Begovic I think.

Didn't know the backstory and tbh not sure I believe it 100%. Like I said before, joining now when there's no chance of CL just doesn't make any sense especially given Ibra's champion mentality. However, who knows it might be true.

Regardless, obviously Gazidis has changed his tune now because he realised that the Piatek+Paqueta signings and young players bought last summer didn't pan out and that experience was required. However, he should've done it sooner when we actually had our best chance of CL qualification in years. My guess is that he got cold feet about signing experienced players after getting burned over the Higuain transfer.

Mr. Milanista

Milanista since Birth
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Nesta, Zidane, Figo, Romagnoli
And btw

Tare's Lazio contract expired at the end of the 2007–08 season. He then accepted a non-playing role at Lazio, becoming the club's team manager. On April 2009 he completed a course in order to obtain abilitation as sporting director

What do you want to say with this copy + paste from wikipedia?

Alo88

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Didn't know the backstory and tbh not sure I believe it 100%. Like I said before, joining now when there's no chance of CL just doesn't make any sense especially given Ibra's champion mentality. However, who knows it might be true.

Regardless, obviously Gazidis has changed his tune now because he realised that the Piatek+Paqueta signings and young players bought last summer didn't pan out and that experience was required. However, he should've done it sooner when we actually had our best chance of CL qualification in years. My guess is that he got cold feet about signing experienced players after getting burned over the Higuain transfer.
Well, granted that Gazidis always said that the strategy of his Milan priorizes young talents but he also always said that it doesn't mean there is no place for more experienced players under the right circumstances. And the transfers we did so far do resemble those statements if you ask me.

U20 players so far:
- none

U25 players so far:
- Paqueta
- Piatek
- Duarte
- Saelesmaekers (20 years)
- Bennacer
- Leao (20 years)
- Theo

U30 players so far:
- Krunic
- Kjaer (30 years)
- Rebic

O30 players so far:
- Zlatan
- Begovic

I'm not counting Laxalt and Castillejo since Gazidis only joined in December 2018.

Last edited:

LocalHero80

The other side of Ba
Reaction score
If we fire Pioli and the next coach fails again, it's gonna be Gattuso->GP allover again. Depends on what we'll look like at the end of the season though.

Birsaforever

I hate Pink Floyd
Reaction score
I can't really explain why but I think Gasperini would flop massively, even with recent results.

Need to change a lot of players to adapt to his style, and the team would start performing in december.

Birsaforever

I hate Pink Floyd
Reaction score
Most signings are bad only in hindsight.

If a transfer was bad in foresight then it wouldn't be made.

Before rolling the dice, betting that you put a banana up your ass if it makes 6, but you receive 1m€ in every other case would be good in foresight, but it would be bad in hindsight after it makes 6

IL-Capitano

Legenda di AC Milan
Reaction score
Fav. Players
too many great players to list but if pushed all time favorite player: Maldini

Exactly rangnick won't make an immediate impact and like anyone else will have a learning curve. Along with Paola and Zvonimir - collectively all three can learn a lot from each other and be a big help to each other at the same time. The main objective is to create a consistant and forward moving club ideology and build on it. Rather than rebooting every 1-2 years because it hasn't worked like a dream. Excellence takes time and work. If Milan want to be amongst the best in the world again it will take time. So give it time.

Last edited:

Sognatore

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
bosnian di marzio

Agree about continuity at Lazio/Atalanta regarding sporting directors although I thought you were talking about managers.

Regardless, at least Tare and Sartori had some credibility in their roles (10/20 years experience respectively) whereas Bodini have exactly zero which is why things are the way they are.

no hate :devilrea:

Last edited:

Sognatore

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
bosnian di marzio
Boban

FIFA President Gianni Infantino had words of thanks for the Croatian: "I cannot thank Zvonimir enough for everything he has done for FIFA and for the game of football over the last three years by our side. Nobody embodies football better than he does and he has always worked for the good of the game. Many of the positive changes that we have made over the last three years could not have been achieved without Zvone. He has shown the same commitment, heart and passion at FIFA that characterized his attitude on the pitch. We will miss him a lot at FIFA. " One of Infantino’s collaborators at FIFA said it was a massive loss, especially now that his work was beginning to make the difference for the whole organization.

Tare

Igli Tare is a retired Albanian striker who played for Lazio at the end of his career, from 2006 to 2008.
Speaking after Tare’s appointment, Lotito justified his decision by describing Tare as “a boy who has a very strong personality”

:monto:

Samaldinho

Milan Legend
Reaction score
I found this insightful podcast on Ragnick. Interviews with Honigstein (German football expert) and Marcotti, discussing in detail Ragnick’s methods, history, and whether he would be a good fit for us.

https://podcasts.apple.com/ca/podcast/football-today/id1481906266?i=1000465352659

Thanks for the recommendation. Just in case someone doesn't have Apple stuff, you can stream the podcast here:

https://player.fm/series/football-t...italy?xhr_reloaded=true&bust=7747219451703131

vB9

Man with a Plan
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Schmeichel, Maldini, Maradona and ME
Marcotti doesnt want him bc he's 62 years old.

Milan overachieved winning the 2007 CL

Wow.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Schedule