Official: Stefano Pioli Thread

Goodfella

Milan Legend
Reaction score
5 wins, 2 draws, 1 loss in the last 8 league games. 17 points. Only Juve and Lazio have accumulated more points.
Make it 6 wins, if you count the Coppa game.
6 clean sheets in 9 games.

The Atalanta disaster aside, results-wise, this has been a very good period.
This "worst of all time" season is starting to look no different to the other disappointing post-Berlusconi seasons. The team is picking up form during the same period, when it's probably too late for Top 4.

31 points after 21 rounds. That's exactly the same as in the 2017-2018 season.
4 points off last season, but the same amount of wins(9).

Pingu

American Calcio Milan
Stream Guru
Reaction score
5 wins, 2 draws, 1 loss in the last 8 league games. 17 points. Only Juve and Lazio have accumulated more points.
Make it 6 wins, if you count the Coppa game.
6 clean sheets in 9 games.

The Atalanta disaster aside, results-wise, this has been a very good period.
This "worst of all time" season is starting to look no different to the other disappointing post-Berlusconi seasons. The team is picking up form during the same period, when it's probably too late for Top 4.

31 points after 21 rounds. That's exactly the same as in the 2017-2018 season.
4 points off last season, but the same amount of wins(9).

:thumbsup:

The issue is that other teams are becoming more competitive and not just Juve. Look at Inter and Lazio this year, Atalanta building on last season. Roma strong enough as well. Only team on a downward trend is Napoli.
Each year teams seem to be getting better in the league while we keep making the seemly wrong choices each time. Getting the same results/points is redundant as the gap grows wider. Need to close it ASAP.

CapitanoMaldini

With Arrogance
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Van Basten, Sheva, Nesta, Pippo, T. Silva, Kaka, Seedorf, Laudrup, Maradona,
All of his subs had a positive impact last game and basically won us the match.

Deserves more credit than he receives. Far more adaptable than Giampaolo and has put our summer purchases in a far better position to succeed.

KujaIX

Mexes & Muntari fanboy
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Current team
He got underrated because he joined when we had a horrid string of games upcoming.

And even then we played better than most expected.

He's doing well.

agsgualdino

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
I like him. he came in at the worst possible time and somehow steadied the ship..im interested to see how he goes in this second half of the season. Forza Pioli

Pingu

American Calcio Milan
Stream Guru
Reaction score
Doing as well as one can expect after starting out poor. Time will tell if this is his "honeymoon" period like Gattuso had his strong after Christmas run his first year (8W, 1 D, 1L from Jan to March) or if we can keep up momentum the whole season. Gattuso ended that spell with 0 wins in 7 which destroyed the season.

Birsaforever

I hate Pink Floyd
Reaction score
Doing as well as one can expect after starting out poor. Time will tell if this is his "honeymoon" period like Gattuso had his strong after Christmas run his first year (8W, 1 D, 1L from Jan to March) or if we can keep up momentum the whole season. Gattuso ended that spell with 0 wins in 7 which destroyed the season.

Hallo, your signature is gold. Have a nice day.

Az.

Se7en
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini,Shevchenko, Rui Costa, Gattuso, Pippo, Nesta, Ambrosini,Seedorf, Billy,Kaka,Beckham,Zlatan
His biggest strength so far is that he plays no favourites. Long may it continue, and hopefully with good results attached.

Mr. Milanista

Milanista since Birth
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Nesta, Zidane, Figo, Romagnoli
His biggest strength so far is that he plays no favourites. Long may it continue, and hopefully with good results attached.

Only positive thing about him IMO, he plays the players that deserve to play.

WILL2K

Magical Milan
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Pippo , Maldini , Kaka , Zizou ..
Overall he is doing a fine job, my only comcern is his ability to adjust tactics during the game. Inter scored some odd goals, yes but we allowed them to exploit spaces because we approached the second half exactly how we did during the first.

Thenebra

Milan Legend
Reaction score
I am actually very pleased with pioli.

He did beyond my expectations.

A good caretaker.

Pingu

American Calcio Milan
Stream Guru
Reaction score
1st half vs. Inter and today, he seems to be getting good play out of the team. Keep it up for the rest of the season please mister.

VooDooDoll

))<>((
Reaction score
make changes earlier ... you cant keep this intense with players running 80 minutes each game

Goodfella

Milan Legend
Reaction score
make changes earlier ... you cant keep this intense with players running 80 minutes each game

Change which players?

Leao for Rebic?
Paq for Hakan?
Even fatigued Rebic and Hakan work harder than them and play at a faster pace than them.

There's no alternative to Bennacer, Kessie & Ibra.

Ronin

Milansochist
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Nesta, Gattuso, Rui Costa, Albertini, Serginho, Seedorf, Redondo, Ibrahimovic, Ronaldinho
Very pleased with him. If we keep improving like this, he should be extended.

Too bad Maldoban fucked him up by not reinforcing the squad... I think we would've had some chances for top 4

milanator

Milan Legend
Reaction score
The current approach definitely makes good use of Samu`s, Hakan`s and Rebic`s work rate/pressing capabilities.

Ibra is the key though, he puts in a decent work rate but also the intelligence and talent the other before mentioned attackers simply don't have.

Boban1982

Sempre Milan
Reaction score
The current approach definitely makes good use of Samu`s, Hakan`s and Rebic`s work rate/pressing capabilities.

Ibra is the key though, he puts in a decent work rate but also the intelligence and talent the other before mentioned attackers simply don't have.

You are right - Ibra is the key. He makes such a difference and even at 38 he is light years in front of all the other strikers in the squad.

Pingu

American Calcio Milan
Stream Guru
Reaction score
Very pleased with him. If we keep improving like this, he should be extended.

Too bad Maldoban fucked him up by not reinforcing the squad... I think we would've had some chances for top 4

As much as we might get trolled for it, tempted to agree. If Elliot isn't selling this summer, and results under Pioli improve as well as keeping up the great play we've seen yesterday/1st half vs. Inter then another year under Pioli for consistency wouldn't be the worst. Get rid of the deadwood, bring in more quality where needed (RB, DM, etc) and build upon something for once rather than change it all and start from zero again. Giving the core team a chance to grow under a coach like Pioli who isn't a top coach, if he can bring consistency from now til season's end, is more important to me than EL at this point if it means sacrificing that again for next year.

If Elliot sells, then I'd expect a revolution across the board and a new coach.

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Maldini, Buffon, Rino*Pirlo*Clarence, Sheva, Totti, Ibra, Pippo, Giacomo, Carlo, Il Dottore
If there's no sale, there's absolutely no reason to fire Pioli. He's cheap and gives really good value for a 2 million euro per year coach.

Hitchens

In flux
New Era Vanguard
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Tier 1: Maldini, Nesta - Tier 2: Kaká, Seedorf, Shevchenko, Serginho, Theo, Leao, Ibrahimovic
Really likeable guy who's done a lot for the mentality of this group.

Sognatore

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
bosnian di marzio
If there's no sale, there's absolutely no reason to fire Pioli. He's cheap and gives really good value for a 2 million euro per year coach.

This isn't a good reason to keep him though. To save a couple of millions on a position that might make or break a whole season with potential CL income and what-not speaks for itself.

That being said I'm not against the idea of keeping him if we continue on this route.

Goodfella

Milan Legend
Reaction score

Ibra has a regular targetman role compared to the one-man-army of 2011-2012 who formed almost the entirety of our attack.
He's not our main creator or, until this point, even main goalscorer. He's a cog in a machine.
He has, along with Rebic and Samu, added to the promising team of October-November without taking away anything.

He's doing what Piatek & Cutrone could not do. Sure, this makes him crucial to this side, but he's replaceable. He's "only" doing what Giroud did for Arsenal, Dzeko for Roma or Llorente for Juve & Tottenham.
The club should look for someone of that type, as substitute and successor to Ibra. Maybe Cornelius?

milanator

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Ibra has a regular targetman role compared to the one-man-army of 2011-2012 who formed almost the entirety of our attack.
He's not our main creator or, until this point, even main goalscorer. He's a cog in a machine.
He has, along with Rebic and Samu, added to the promising team of October-November without taking away anything.

He's doing what Piatek & Cutrone could not do. Sure, this makes him crucial to this side, but he's replaceable. He's "only" doing what Giroud did for Arsenal, Dzeko for Roma or Llorente for Juve & Tottenham.
The club should look for someone of that type, as substitute and successor to Ibra. Maybe Cornelius?

Definitely more regular target man (and man those extra 10cm hight up front help a lot too) than in his first stint but he does these little playmaking things so well and quick that it is still something exceptional.

I‘d agree that he is replaceable but it won‘t be easy.

Milan2012

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
After loosing 5-0 there’s no way I see Pioli staying.

Ronin

Milansochist
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Nesta, Gattuso, Rui Costa, Albertini, Serginho, Seedorf, Redondo, Ibrahimovic, Ronaldinho
After loosing 5-0 there’s no way I see Pioli staying.

calm your tits... if everybody would go with this logic, even top coaches would rarely last more than 1 season

ffs :fp:

Milan2012

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
calm your tits... if everybody would go with this logic, even top coaches would rarely last more than 1 season

ffs :fp:

2739802d9c4b4a5ef47427e13989f335.jpg

That game was a massacre on all aspects. Pioli is not a top level coach, honestly he hasn’t won one big game for us.
He’s a good interim coach, I’ll give him that.

KujaIX

Mexes & Muntari fanboy
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Current team
2739802d9c4b4a5ef47427e13989f335.jpg

That game was a massacre on all aspects. Pioli is not a top level coach, honestly he hasn’t won one big game for us.
He’s a good interim coach, I’ll give him that.

To act like he's a failure is utter lunacy.

He has steadied the ship, found a suitable formation and challenged the big teams in a way we've struggled to in a long time.

It's almost getting to a point where I approach a big game with relish instead of mayonnaise.

Schedule