The Red & Black Forums | An AC Milan Community The Red & Black Forums | An AC Milan Community The Red & Black Forums | An AC Milan Community

Go Back   The Red & Black Forums > Other > Football

Football Talk about the wonderful game.

View Poll Results: Who will win the EPL title this year?
Manchester City 36 31.86%
Chelsea 49 43.36%
Arsenal 2 1.77%
Manchester United 12 10.62%
Liverpool 6 5.31%
Other 8 7.08%
Voters: 113. You may not vote on this poll

Old 13-05-2014, 03:44   #20241
KujaIX
Allegri fanboy

Fav. Players: Allegri, Romagnoli, Bonaventura, Prince, Yepes, Nesta, Seedorf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sod-Lod View Post

Meh. A lot of niche food there. Having a lot of regions is both a gift and curse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyrider View Post
serious sausage fest out there

this reminds me of the old roman empire

:Shakes head:

Quote:
Originally Posted by van Basten View Post
The pending transfers of Lallana n shaw... with all the disrespect to 'pool and respect to Utd, which club wud be getting the better player?
Lallana >>> Shaw.

Signature
Phillipe Mexes of R&B Mafia Games
Silvio Berlusconi - Forever in our hearts
KujaIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2014, 03:58   #20242
Dottore Joey
Vice

Fav. Players: Zlatastic, Messi, Ronaldo Duo, Sheva, Maldini, Nesta, SES, Montolivo, Sigurdsson, Lloris

Rio has never been the best defender in the world. Too good defenders at the time when he was brilliant.

About Vidic, he was definitely the best defender in the world for some time, at minimum 2 years.

Signature
Dottore Joey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2014, 04:08   #20243
General
Banned

Fav. Players: MR, Kathy Griffin, Leaf's Vlogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime Minister Joey View Post
Rio has never been the best defender in the world. Too good defenders at the time when he was brilliant.

About Vidic, he was definitely the best defender in the world for some time, at minimum 2 years.
Agreed on point 1.

Not so sure about point 2.

Gonna see what united fan thinks though.
General is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2014, 12:30   #20244
leaf
#FreeTommyRobinson

Fav. Players: Ba, Quaresma, Ronaldo, Maldini, Kaka, Nesta, Shevchenko, Neymar, Seedorf, R.Carlos, CR7, Silva

I just find it highly insulting that he dared to compare Rio (at any point) with Nesta (at any point)

I've seen Nesta rape fuckin Adriano at his peak. And after taking the ball, beating him off the dribble. I've seen an old, past it Nesta keep Messi quiet. The only modern defender who deserves to be mentioned in the same sentence is Thiago Silva. Kompany has his moments too but he gets too rough sometimes.

I really liked Rio. Even at Leeds he was really cool. Also he was an offensive threat in his peak. But Nesta was the Ferarri of defenders. GTFO with your suped up Subaru

Signature
There's only 1 Ronaldo
leaf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2014, 12:48   #20245
Don_Jacare
AC Milan Icon

Fav. Players: cr7, Kaka, sheva, zidane, pastore , zlatan ibra,T.silva, jovetic, Arjen robben, drogba, suarez

he will point out the fact that rooney raped nesta lol when we lost 3 - 2 to man.utd. He never beat nesta for pace or shrugged him off to get past him, besides wazza only scored when we lost gattuso to an injury. Until around the 60th minute, we were leading 2 - 1 iirc.
Don_Jacare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2014, 12:50   #20246
Az.
Se7en

Fav. Players: Maldini,Shevchenko, Rui Costa, Gattuso, Pippo, Nesta, Ambrosini,Seedorf, Billy,Kaka,Beckham,Zlatan

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaf View Post
I just find it highly insulting that he dared to compare Rio (at any point) with Nesta (at any point)

I've seen Nesta rape fuckin Adriano at his peak. And after taking the ball, beating him off the dribble. I've seen an old, past it Nesta keep Messi quiet. The only modern defender who deserves to be mentioned in the same sentence is Thiago Silva. Kompany has his moments too but he gets too rough sometimes.

I really liked Rio. Even at Leeds he was really cool. Also he was an offensive threat in his peak. But Nesta was the Ferarri of defenders. GTFO with your suped up Subaru
Spot on

Signature
Cobra Kai never dies
Az. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2014, 14:48   #20247
Qaas
Mystery Guy

Fav. Players: KAKA, Maldini, Nesta, Dida, Inzaghi, Sheva, TSilva, R9, Raul, Casillas, Schmeichel, Messi

Highest level: maldini, baresi, beckenbauer etc
Then you have the likes of: nesta, hiero, cannavaro, costacurta, etc etc.
And then wc,s like ferdinand, puyol, vidic, thiago silva (now) and so on.
Qaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2014, 17:20   #20248
manutd fan
EPL Captain

Fav. Players: Eric Cantona, Paul Scholes, Van Nistlerooy, Valencia

Rio Ferdinand has had plenty of top players in his pocket. Prime Torres, Eto'o, Ronaldo (CR7), Ibrahimovic, Drogba, Owen, Shearer, Henry and so on.

Now granted many of those won't be as great as the legendary SerieAGods, but still.

Anyway Rio was the best in the world in 07/08. Faultless season - by far the best from any United defender I've ever seen. Probably in the top 3 or 4 seasons from any United player in the SAF era.

Rio was the best in 07/08. Vidic was the best in 08/09 and 09/10. Though Rio at his best was a bit better than Vidic, though Vidic has always been more popular. We had the best defense in Europe through that period.

Quote:

Offensive threat was something he never really filled his potential with. Great technically/keeping possession and all that stuff so I agree if that's all you mean, but from set pieces he was never that good. Aside from against Liverpool

The fact that you would put Silva + Kompany (LOL) and not Rio renders your credibility useless, tbh. Before that line it was a valid opinion, albeit an incorrect one

Last edited by manutd fan; 13-05-2014 at 17:23.
manutd fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2014, 18:11   #20249
leaf
#FreeTommyRobinson

Fav. Players: Ba, Quaresma, Ronaldo, Maldini, Kaka, Nesta, Shevchenko, Neymar, Seedorf, R.Carlos, CR7, Silva

Quote:
Originally Posted by manutd fan View Post
Rio Ferdinand has had plenty of top players in his pocket. Prime Torres, Eto'o, Ronaldo (CR7), Ibrahimovic, Drogba, Owen, Shearer, Henry and so on.

Now granted many of those won't be as great as the legendary SerieAGods, but still.

Anyway Rio was the best in the world in 07/08. Faultless season - by far the best from any United defender I've ever seen. Probably in the top 3 or 4 seasons from any United player in the SAF era.

Rio was the best in 07/08. Vidic was the best in 08/09 and 09/10. Though Rio at his best was a bit better than Vidic, though Vidic has always been more popular. We had the best defense in Europe through that period.

Offensive threat was something he never really filled his potential with. Great technically/keeping possession and all that stuff so I agree if that's all you mean, but from set pieces he was never that good. Aside from against Liverpool

The fact that you would put Silva + Kompany (LOL) and not Rio renders your credibility useless, tbh. Before that line it was a valid opinion, albeit an incorrect one
I was hoping that you'd impute some nonexistent Serie A bias to me....the same guy who got everyone's panties in a bunch when he said that Gattuso was overrated and that Keane/Vieria>>>>Gattuso. Then there was the reaction to my views on P!rlo

I'm the same guy that said that Ronaldinho would destroy even a prime Maldini.....but somehow I consider SerieA players gods

Rio came to United in 2002 and I believe got the ass raping of his life when Ronaldo scored three halftime goals against him.

If you consider the players Nesta's been up against: ZZ, R9, Totti, Batistuta, Shevchenko, Vieri, Ibrahimovic, ADP(in his prime too), Adriano, Ivan Zamorano, Baggio I'd have to say that Nesta has had fiercer competition....btw, when did Rio face/rape iBra? And didn't Drogba own the shit out of Rio as well

*edit* click here

Signature
There's only 1 Ronaldo

Last edited by leaf; 13-05-2014 at 18:14.
Old 13-05-2014, 18:14   #20250
Congo Powers
apotheosis berlusconi

Fav. Players: Silvio Berlusconi, Rui Costa, Pippo, Sheva, Stam, Kaka, Abbiati, Cassano, Mexes, KPB, Mario, Cutrone

Rio's mouth/lips/teeth vs nesta's
Congo Powers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2014, 18:20   #20251
leaf
#FreeTommyRobinson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Congo Powers View Post
Rio's mouth/lips/teeth vs nesta's
Rio looks like a mulatto version of elmo
Kompany iw waaay more handsome
Then there's Nesta
no homo

Signature
There's only 1 Ronaldo
Old 13-05-2014, 18:29   #20252
Congo Powers
apotheosis berlusconi

Fav. Players: Silvio Berlusconi, Rui Costa, Pippo, Sheva, Stam, Kaka, Abbiati, Cassano, Mexes, KPB, Mario, Cutrone

rio ferdinand:

Congo Powers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2014, 18:38   #20253
manutd fan
EPL Captain

Quote:
I was hoping that you'd impute some nonexistent Serie A bias to me....the same guy who got everyone's panties in a bunch when he said that Gattuso was overrated and that Keane/Vieria>>>>Gattuso. Then there was the reaction to my views on P!rlo
See, I'm fair. I'll acknowledge great players from all leagues. Pirlo is/was an immense player. I remember telling you Pirlo would do better in a team with better movement and no statues ahead of him. Most disagreed. He went to Juve and proved me right

That should be no surprise though

Vieira/Keane was quite clearly superior to Gattuso. Gattuso was a much more limited player. Keane for eg had his defensive work and was also far, far better creatively (Keane was actually the more creative midfielder with 3 of his 4 main partners). Vieira obviously was too.

Though I don't ever remember saying Gattuso was overrated. In fact if you remember I argued with the fools that argued with me when I claimed Gattuso was Milan's star player the year they KO'd United. My favorite Milan player, Beckham aside. But then outside of this forum I've never seen anyone really praise him to the moon. I can't remember what people on here thought of him.

Quote:
I'm the same guy that said that Ronaldinho would destroy even a prime Maldini.....but somehow I consider SerieA players gods
Destroy?

Ronaldinho could have destroyed anyone on his day. That much is obvious. Didn't he rape Nesta one time?

Quote:
Rio came to United in 2002 and I believe got the ass raping of his life when Ronaldo scored three halftime goals against him.
Indeed he did. Rio did take time to adapt to United though. Rio wasn't really great in his first year, mind. Got a lot of stick.

Quote:
If you consider the players Nesta's been up against: ZZ, R9, Totti, Batistuta, Shevchenko, Vieri, Ibrahimovic, ADP(in his prime too), Adriano, Ivan Zamorano, Baggio I'd have to say that Nesta has had fiercer competition....btw,
Because they were great players in the years Serie A was at it's best, right? People rely far too much on nostalgia. Why were the greats of one period all so much better than the greats of another? It's interesting when you look at people's responses on here - they'll go crazy about those on top when Italy and Spain were dominating, yet in comparison dismiss the period when the EPL was dominating. I think this point is more appropriate when talking about defenders though - Campbell, Rio, Vidic, Terry, Calvalho, King - world class defenders who would have stood out in any league at any time.

Torres/Shearer/Eto'o/Henry/Owen and co were all incredible themselves. I should have added Suarez to my list as well, btw. 12/13, on one leg Rio made Suarez his bitch.

I get a lot of it is because of childhood nostalgia, but still...

Incidentally I never said Rio > Nesta but I digress. Well no actually I did say in 07/08 Rio > all.

Quote:
when did Rio face/rape iBra?
08/09 Champions League. A crippled Rio, no less. Someone mentioned the sign of a genuine great player is someone who can play to a high level throughout injuries - Rio couldn't train and could hardly walk for days after matches for several years, starting in 08/09.

Quote:
And didn't Drogba own the shit out of Rio as well

*edit* click here
I don't think Drogba ever had a good game vs United. Scored a couple - FA Cup game, an offside goal to win the league, once in the CL...but I could easily say Rooney destroys Liverpool because he's scored quite a few goals against them, when in reality Rooney has never, ever played well against Liverpool. Not once.

Drogba never scared United like Torres did for about 18 months, for eg.

Last edited by manutd fan; 13-05-2014 at 18:41.
Old 13-05-2014, 18:47   #20254
Raz
AC Milan Icon

Rio retiring from playing football? Yes.

Rio retiring from sucking phallus? No.
Raz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2014, 19:25   #20255
Don_Jacare
AC Milan Icon

Fav. Players: cr7, Kaka, sheva, zidane, pastore , zlatan ibra,T.silva, jovetic, Arjen robben, drogba, suarez

lol at drogba never having a good game against man.utd. He has scored three goals, yes, thats true but u do realise he has 9 assists to his name vs man.utd ?? drogba in his prime was known as a big team slayer, he destroyed arsenal, liverpool and united for fun. If he wasnt scoring, he still manages to make an impact by providing assists to his team mates.
Old 13-05-2014, 20:02   #20256
General
Banned

Fav. Players: MR, Kathy Griffin, Leaf's Vlogs

huh... most english dudes I know swear to their mother that John Terry was better than Rio in 07-08..

meh..
General is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2014, 21:22   #20257
Kalac#16
AC Milan Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by FNF View Post
The amount they could spend on Shaw is around the same, if not more, they could spend on an already very, very good left back (Baines). I would always be more willing to spend that money on someone who you can rely on rather than someone who could potentially flop.
Baines is 30 this year. No.

As for the Terry thing, terry was immense under Mourinho in his first time in charge. Never hit those heights again though.
Kalac#16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2014, 22:32   #20258
Don_Jacare
AC Milan Icon

John terry aka lionheart is the best english cb ever. J.t >>>>>>>>>>>>■ vidic and rio. I would put J.T on par with samuel and lucio etc, very close to nesta level in his prime.
Old 13-05-2014, 23:01   #20259
van Basten
Man with a Plan

Fav. Players: Schmeichel, Maldini, Maradona and ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qaas View Post
Highest level: maldini, baresi, beckenbauer etc
Then you have the likes of: nesta, hiero, cannavaro, costacurta, etc etc.
And then wc,s like ferdinand, puyol, vidic, thiago silva (now) and so on.
Baresi, Beckenbauer, Maldini,

Nesta, Sammer

Costacurta, Hierro, Ferrara, Kohler,

Aldair, Cannavaro, Stam, TS, Thuram, Vidic,

Blanc, Frank De Boer, Ferdinand, Nadal, Koeman, Puyol

Id like to mention Alan Hansen... havent seen him play... but wot Iv have read abt him is very, very impressive. Cool fooker, will miss him on MOTD

Edit:

Im sure i must be missing more great names... I know Ive listed Maldini, Thuram but mostly I was goings for the cbs only (Maldini n Thram move to the middle later on).

Signature
Milan:
Maldini, Baresi, Costacurta, Panucci, Albertini, Boban, Gullit, Rijkaard, van Basten, Weah, Papin, Sheva, Leo, Vieri, Ancelotti, Savicevic, Desailly, Rui Costa, Kaka, Nesta, Cafu, Zambrotta, Ibra, Donadoni, Pirlo, Pato, Ronaldo, Rivaldo, Dinho, Davids, Vieira, Baggio, Silva, Stam, Redondo, Crespo

Last edited by van Basten; 13-05-2014 at 23:05.
van Basten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2014, 23:32   #20260
manutd fan
EPL Captain

Terry always got insane hype even when it wasn't justified (England's lion etc) meanwhile Rio has never really been popular ever since his drugs ban. It wasn't really until 2011-ish when it stopped. The two times Chelsea tried to play expansive football, his form dropped hugely. It's far harder to be a great defender in an offensive side.

He was world class for sure, but Rio/Vidic/Stam/Campbell/Calvalho were better, IMO.
He was a better captain than all though. Much as it pains me to say. One of the best EPL captains of all time.

The English media + fans usually love a tough defender. One of the reasons Vidic is much more popular than Rio too, though Rio being a flashy cockney doesn't help.

Last edited by manutd fan; 13-05-2014 at 23:36.