• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Senatore_M84

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Clarence Clyde Seedorf
I took the effort of finding out who your main rivals are: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aberdeen_F.C.#Supporters_and_nicknames

Aberdeen are known as "The Dons", a name that has been in use since at least 1913. This comes from the word 'Don' meaning 'teacher', given Aberdeen's history as a university town. It may also be a reference to the River Don. Before the popular adoption of "The Dons", the team were variously known as "The Wasps" or "The Black and Golds"; both names a reference to the yellow and black striped shirts of the time.[54]

my highschool's nickname was 'the dons'

i feel so connected to you calum. We should cut our hands, and mail each other small viles of blood to make it official.

Ashish

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
R.I.P. Papa Berlu, G, R9, Nesta, Rui, Maldini, Gattuso, Robert Wieckiewicz, Brendan Gleeson
Calum honestly in the virtual world of forum I have atmost respect for you

manutd fan

EPL Captain
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Eric Cantona, Paul Scholes, Van Nistlerooy, Valencia
Calum honestly in the virtual world of forum I have atmost respect for you

He's honestly the most complete poster I've ever seen on an internet forum.

Ashish

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
R.I.P. Papa Berlu, G, R9, Nesta, Rui, Maldini, Gattuso, Robert Wieckiewicz, Brendan Gleeson
Being scottish the best part ever :beer:

manutd fan

EPL Captain
Reaction score
Fav. Players

Kalac would play the aggressive thug in midfield, but being a creative individual I guess Calum could partner him.

Milano is obviously the manager.

Senatore_M84

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Clarence Clyde Seedorf
Kalac would play the aggressive thug in midfield, but being a creative individual I guess Calum could partner him.

Milano is obviously the manager.

i would make calum a flying wingback just because of his disdain. I would instruct him to keep pushing and then yell at him when he's out of position.

he'd probably mutter under his breathe how terrible a manager i am

Sage

Phase 3
Staff member
Reaction score
I wouldnt put m84 as a manager, i'd make him the director of the club, persians know how to turn a dime into a dollar :lol:

I dont know, Kalac is too much like pirlo(without the passing) to be a dm :D

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Maldini, Buffon, Rino*Pirlo*Clarence, Sheva, Totti, Ibra, Pippo, Giacomo, Carlo, Il Dottore
This 4-2-fantasia stuff always crack me up.

Btw where it started? It was Leo himself who coined the term?

Here in Brazil nobody uses this terminology. At least not while trying to look serious.

The media I think.

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Maldini, Buffon, Rino*Pirlo*Clarence, Sheva, Totti, Ibra, Pippo, Giacomo, Carlo, Il Dottore

acmilan4ever

Fan of the Sheva's
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Associazione Calcio Milan
Where would he play in PSG? Not undermining him, but they already have Pastore, Menez, and Gamiero...all who they bought THIS year.

.................Berba
Gameiro.....Pastore.......Menez
........Sissoko.....Matuidi
...............Defense

Good thing they've got Gameiro, plays a lot like David Villa so i assume he will have a similar role of making runs in there and Pasto and Berba doing the stylish stuff. Could work with Hoarau on the bench [huge striker] and Erdingc can be sold, of course they've got Nene too but depth is good for their EL run.

acmilan4ever

Fan of the Sheva's
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
EXCLUSIVE: Inter accept United's offer for Sneijder

Wesley Sneijder WILL become a Manchester United player this week... if he accepts a restructured pay-deal to move to the Premier League.

The Dutch midfielder's club, Inter Milan, have paved the way for a £30million-plus transfer by accepting, in principle, a formal offer United made at the weekend.

They are ready to grant Sneijder permission to speak to officials from Old Trafford, and the Mirror understands those talks will take place later this week.

The only stumbling block to what would surely be world football's deal of the summer is the player's wage demands, given the tax-favourable status he enjoys while playing in Italy.

Sneijder doesn't want to take a pay-cut on a salary that would earn him the equivalent of almost £190,000 a week in the Premier League - which is way outside United's pay structure.

The English champions though, are prepared to talk about a sliding pay scale that will see a large basic wage topped up with generous bonuses as well as signing-on fees that will be spread over the length of the contract.

That would almost match his contract with Inter, and, given that United players can earn large sums through image rights - which are less effective at other European clubs - it would appear a compromise could be reached.

Both clubs were cagey about the situation yesterday, with Inter officials confirming there had been a formal bid from England, and United boss Sir Alex Ferguson suggesting the player had to think about his club's offer.

Ferguson held talks with United chief executive David Gill about the prospect of an improved salary package for Sneijder that would not break the club's wage structure, and there was optimism a deal could be struck.

The player's agent is expected to fly into London before the weekend, and United are hoping to have the Holland international training with the squad in time for the start of the Premier League season a week on Saturday.

Inter had considered a part exchange deal, with Dimitar Berbatov moving the other way, but while they haven't ruled that out completely they have indicated they would prefer the cash up front, with an option to negotiate on striker Berbatov separately.

Read more: http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/tra...rsonal-terms-article780034.html#ixzz1TrqZyUQD

:lol::lol:

Az.

Se7en
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini,Shevchenko, Rui Costa, Gattuso, Pippo, Nesta, Ambrosini,Seedorf, Billy,Kaka,Beckham,Zlatan
"given the tax-favourable status he enjoys while playing in Italy."

Since when ?

manutd fan

EPL Captain
Reaction score
Fav. Players
"given the tax-favourable status he enjoys while playing in Italy."

Since when ?

Tax in England is at 50% whilst Italy is less than 40% I believe. I know it's less in Spain.

Last edited:

Az.

Se7en
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini,Shevchenko, Rui Costa, Gattuso, Pippo, Nesta, Ambrosini,Seedorf, Billy,Kaka,Beckham,Zlatan

Az.

Se7en
Reaction score
Fav. Players

Jasper

Maldini tier
Reaction score
Fav. Players
3; Marat Safin; Tiziano Crudeli; 2Pac; Christian Bale; Martin M??rsepp; Balotelli.
Is that a recent change?

As far as I remember(2007 or sth) the tax has been 50 in Italy. It would be recent change if it's 40%.

Wasn't there some talk of changig it somehow? Did Sneijder maybe get some sort of way around laws and gets payd through Spain? Wasn't this the reasonn to loan Ibra? Cant remember these things.

acmilan4ever

Fan of the Sheva's
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Premier League preview No3: Blackburn Rovers
Venky's took over at Ewood Park in November and have yet to convince they know the game, even if they talk a good one. This is a big season for Steve Kean

Guardian writers' prediction: 19th (NB: this is not Paul Doyle's prediction, but the average of our writers' tips)

Last season's position: 15th

Odds to win the league: 2,500-1

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2011/aug/01/blackburn-rovers-2011-preview

Premier League preview No4: Bolton Wanderers
Owen Coyle's side can turn on the style, but finding fresh firepower must be his priority with so many tough fixtures to start the season

Guardian writers' prediction: 11th (NB: this is not Jacob Steinberg's prediction, but the average of our writers' tips)

Last season's position: 14th

Odds to win the league: 1,000-1

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2011/aug/02/premier-league-preview-bolton-wanderers

Premier League preview No5: Chelsea
André Villas-Boas knows he is under pressure at Stamford Bridge

Guardian writers' prediction: 3rd (This is not Dominic Fifield's prediction, but the average of our writers' tips)

Last season's position: 2nd

Odds to win the league: 5-2

It was Marcel Desailly who summed up the task awaiting André Villas-Boas most succinctly. "All the pressure is on the shoulders of the coach," said the former Chelsea captain. "It's all up to him." The Portuguese, at 33, returned to Stamford Bridge this summer with only 20 months of managerial experience behind him, charged with succeeding where it had been deemed a recent Double-winning coach had failed. It says much for Villas-Boas's innate self-belief that he has plunged himself into his new role with relish.

The rookie with the record – the Europa League, the domestic league title at a canter and a Portuguese Cup were all claimed in his solitary campaign at Porto – will not escape the focus as Chelsea's Premier League campaign begins, but the pressure associated with his new role will be embraced. Villas-Boas, a manager who has soaked up knowledge imparted by Sir Bobby Robson, Pep Guardiola and José Mourinho, has only ever been successful. He has never tasted anything else. He may preach the power of the collective, but his is an entrenched belief that his own footballing philosophy can revive this team.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2011/aug/02/premier-league-preview-chelsea

hdcantona

Senatore_M84's Protege
Reaction score
I don't know if it's the same as in spain (some clause or something where you can get it cheaper if you're foreign) but I'm sure I read he only pays 40 something % tax

Senatore_M84

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Clarence Clyde Seedorf
The spanish rule is something like 20% tax on foreigners first 3 to 5 years in spain. Something to encourage foreign investment on a macro scale. Football benefits

Jasper

Maldini tier
Reaction score
Fav. Players
3; Marat Safin; Tiziano Crudeli; 2Pac; Christian Bale; Martin M??rsepp; Balotelli.
The spanish rule is something like 20% tax on foreigners first 3 to 5 years in spain. Something to encourage foreign investment on a macro scale. Football benefits

IIRC they changed the 'Beckham' law.

Thenagain all my posts on the matter are from not a trustworthy memory. Didn't Swiss ramble have a chart on this?

Senatore_M84

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Clarence Clyde Seedorf

acmilan4ever

Fan of the Sheva's
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Yuri Zhirkov sale would free Chelsea squad place for Luka Modric
• Russian set to join Anzhi Makhachkala for £13m
• Chelsea likely to make new bid to sign Modric from Tottenham

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/aug/01/yuri-zhirkov-chelsea-luka-modric

John W Henry sets Liverpool's sights on the Champions League
• 'If we don't [qualify], it would be a major disappointment'
• Henry believes Manchester United are favourites for title

Barcelona set to make final push for Arsenal captain Cesc Fabregas by tabling £35 million offer
Barcelona are poised to finally make their second offer of the summer for Cesc Fabregas, with a bid being prepared that is worth around €40 million (£35 million).

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...esc-Fabregas-by-tabling-35-million-offer.html

Liverpool forward Milan Jovanovic agrees to join Anderlecht
• Anderlecht will not pay a fee for Jovanovic
• Serbia international to have a medical on Thursday

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/aug/03/liverpool-milan-jovanovic-anderlecht

Toon's tweet revenge! Enrique follows Barton out of Newcastle with £10m Liverpool switch
Jose Enrique will follow Joey Barton and Kevin Nolan out of Newcastle after Liverpool agreed a £10million deal for the Spanish defender.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...wed-Jose-Enrique-Newcastle.html#ixzz1TwRkt8yu

Marseille 8 Manchester United XI 2: Red Devils crumble in French charity match
Fabian Barthez had an unhappy return as a guest in a Manchester United XI as they lost 8-2 to Marseille in a charity game in Monaco.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...umble-French-charity-match.html#ixzz1TwSFnjgN

Championship 2011-12 season preview: the bloggers' view
The people who really know their clubs give us the lowdown on what to expect in the Championship next season, where cautious optimism abounds

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/.../aug/02/championship-2011-12-preview-bloggers

Sonny.Bill.Williams

WUNDERKIND
Reaction score
Is the Premier League the League of Draws? Data From the 2010/11 Season
Over the last couple of days, I've been doing some work on my databases for the last few years' worth of league play. In the process, I've come across some interesting patterns that I thought were worth sharing. One of them was simply the distribution of full time results in the Premier League last year.

For the league as a whole, the 2010/11 season saw more draws in the Premiership than elsewhere. 29.2% of all matches EPL teams played last year ended in a draw; that's several percentage points higher than in the other three leagues I have been writing about (Bundesliga, La Liga, and Serie A). Here's a graph of match outcomes at the level of teams (with wins and losses equal by definition).

distribution+of+match+outcomes+big+4+2010-11.png

To stats aficionados who know more than I do this may be old hat, but I thought this was a curious pattern - curious in part because we have seen in other analyses that the Premiership has become more imbalanced over the last few years. Of course, these do not have to be inconsistent - you can still have a few dominant teams that win all of their matches and everyone else producing mostly draws. At the same time, a more imbalanced league producing more draws is interesting (well, to me).

So which teams were particularly likely to produce draws last year? That is, who was most responsible for the high % of draws in the Premier League last season?

Turns out, it was Fulham at 42.1%, followed by Everton and Birmingham producing draws in 39.5% of their matches. In plain English, the Cottagers played their opponents to a draw in over 4 of 10 matches they played. This also means that Fulham produced 44% more draws than the average Premier League team last year. In contrast, Liverpool, Stoke, and Wolves left the pitch with a draw less than half as often as these clubs - only 7 or 18.4% of the matches they played ended in a draw.

Below are the full time results for all 20 teams for last year.

ftresults.png

Few teams had results profiles like Fulham's, with draws dominating over wins or losses as the most common category of match outcomes. Everton and Wigan were the only other two clubs where draws outnumber wins or losses.

So how did the Cottagers do it? Comparing halftime and full time results, it turns out that Fulham were able to turn a good number of halftime losses into fulltime draws. They were behind at the half in 16 (or 42%) of their matches, but ended up losing only 8 of those (the only team that was behind in more matches was West Brom with 17). And when Fulham were tied at the half, which was the case in 12 (or 31.6%) other matches, they ended up losing only 3 of those. In contrast, the typical Premiership club was behind only 30% of matches at the half, but ended up losing 75% of those matches. In essence, Fulham were able to turn halftime deficits into draws (and even one win).

Interestingly, Fulham's was also a tale of two seasons, as most of the draws came in the first half of the campaign, coupled with most of the losses (and only three wins), as the next graph (courtesy of the FFC website) shows. In contrast, the second half of the season showed a steady upward trend in results.

fulham+season+2010+graph.png

key+for+fulham+graph.png

So this year's award for coming from behind and salvaging a draw goes to Fulham. The feat of earning draws against the odds was accomplished by a very experienced squad. It is perhaps even more remarkable in light of the fact that half time scores are a better predictor of full time results in the Premier League than in the other three big leagues, as the statistical relationships between halftime and full time scores for the 2010/11 season reveal. When we regress full time results on halftime results, we find that halftime results account for more of the full time results in the Premiership than in the other leagues (as measured by the r-squared).

Bundesliga: 26%
EPL: 39%
Serie A: 31%
La Liga: 34%

I hope for the Whites that they will be able to avoid falling behind quite as much this coming season. And I hope for any supporter of teams in the EPL that their clubs won't be called upon to do what Fulham did - it's a hard thing to do, it turns out, harder than it may appear at first glance.

acmilan4ever

Fan of the Sheva's
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Marseille 8 – Manchester United XI 2 (Charity Match, August 2, 2011)

Edit: The first goal is too sick :eek::eek:

Edit2: Manchester United starting XI at Marseille: Barthez, Evra (c), Smalling, Jones, Malcuit, Belhaid, Mansouri, Cleverley, Welbeck, Park, Belghazouani.

Last edited:

hdcantona

Senatore_M84's Protege
Reaction score
and when it was 3-2 Jones went off... then they scored 5 goals.

(smalling went off not long after him I think but I don't know who the 2 cb's that came on were :lol:

A pop star, david ginola and some overweight ancient guy came on afterwards :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Schedule