Dimitrios Eleftheropoulos

David

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Indeed we did. One year contract, bench warmer most likely.

It's on the official site, Italian version.

Rex

Reaction score
Olympiakos' Eleftheropoulos you meant, David ? I very rarely see him much in any action.

David

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
He's coming from Messina. That's where he played last year.

killiegradge

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Cafu
It will be interesting to see what name he has on the back of his jersey.I dont think the full 15 letters will fit.Anyone got any pics of him when at Messina and what did he have then?

Anguisette

Coffee Dragon
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Nesta, Pirlo, Canna, Kaka
Any stats from his time at Messina?

Sandro Nesta

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Kaka, Maldini!, Inzaghi, Gattuso
Never heard of him just didn't see him at matches against Milan or nothing hope he is a good keeper. I think it is a distraction to distract us from the signing of Gila

Congo Powers

⭐⭐
Reaction score
Fav. Players
B&G, RuiCosta, Pippo, Sheva, Stam, Kaka, Abbiati, Cassano, Mexes, TH19, RL10, KPB, 45, Krunic
Sandro Nesta said:
I think it is a distraction to distract us from the signing of Gila

just a guess---maybe we signed him to fill the void left by abbiati's departure?

NeSTa_86

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
|*NeSTa*| |*Rui CoSTa*| |*Gilardino*|
i am not sure that he is good enough for milan,but.....without abbiati we don't have second keeper

Anguisette

Coffee Dragon
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Nesta, Pirlo, Canna, Kaka
It's a one year deal, yes? I guess if he doesn't work out it won't be so hard to sell him.

Congo Powers

⭐⭐
Reaction score
Fav. Players
B&G, RuiCosta, Pippo, Sheva, Stam, Kaka, Abbiati, Cassano, Mexes, TH19, RL10, KPB, 45, Krunic
quick question----was anyone here a fan of milan before 2000? considering the way abbiati is being bashed, i assume there isn't.

Barremans

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
Fav. Players
MvB, Maldini, Rino, Pirlo and Cocu
Milan sign Eleftheropoulos

Milan have moved quickly to replace Christian Abbiati in their squad by signing Greek ‘keeper Dimitrios Eleftheropoulos.

The shot-stopper has signed a one-year contract after Abbiati left the Italian giants for Genoa earlier today.

Eleftheropoulos, who was born in Athens on August 7, 1976, spent last season at Messina before his contract expired.

The 28-year-old, who made 10 Serie A appearances last term, will wear the No 21 shirt and provide cover for first choice ‘keeper Nelson Dida.

source: channel4.com

gaizka22

Apprentice father
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
van Basten, Maldini, Zidane, Baresi, Maradona, Boban, Baggio, Matthaus, Costacurta
Congo Powers said:
quick question----was anyone here a fan of milan before 2000? considering the way abbiati is being bashed, i assume there isn't.

Abbiati was one of the hero when we won the 99 scudetto. Coming to Milan from Monza (the same club like Costacurta) at the start of the season, he was the 3rd choice goalie after Jens Lehman and Sebastiano Rossi.

After Lehman didn't perform and went back to Germany in January, Rossi stepped in. In one home game Rossi was red carded, Abbiati came in and blocked the penalty and won the spot ever since. One of his most crucial saves was a Nakata freekick at the last day of the 98/99 season when we won 2-1 at Perugia, sealing the scudetto for us and sent Rossi to (ironically) Perugia.

Dida arrived in 99/00 season but Abbiati managed to won the competition (especially after the Brazilian's stupid mistake in CL game vs Leeds).

He is a good goalkeeper. Make no mistake about it, won the European U-21 (along with Rino, Pirlo and Ambro), called for the Euro 2000 and WC 2002, which proves he is good. The re-arrival of Dida simply made it hard for him to play regularly. And it was Abbiati who played in that 2nd leg semifinal of CL 2003 vs Inter that we drew 1-1 after Dida was injured.

So goodbye to him but a good player like him deserves a better place than the bench, even at Milan's bench. Milan should really released him at the beginning of the the 03/04 season when Arsenal wanted him.

PaTtA_9

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
gaizka22 said:
So goodbye to him but a good player like him deserves a better place than the bench, even at Milan's bench. Milan should really released him at the beginning of the the 03/04 season when Arsenal wanted him.

i think the only reason abbiati didnt go to arsenal was because he wanted to stay at milan and fight for first spot. i have been a fan of milan before 2000 and it was actually that 98/99 season which was the first season i was able to fully follow milan and abbiati was outstanding when he got his chance.
good luck to abbiati, he is a good keeper, but is he on loan or did we sell him outright?

MaGasTeR

Pride of Yorkshire
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Pippo, Kewell, Kaka, A. Smith, Nesta, Bowyer, Rino, Viduka, Sheva, Rob. Keane, Gila, Harte, Maldini
I always believed that Abbiati is better than Dida :rolleyes:

Dida arrived in 99/00 season but Abbiati managed to won the competition (especially after the Brazilian's stupid mistake in CL game vs Leeds).
Haha just one ? Dida had hundreds of mistakes. :alien:

gaizka22

Apprentice father
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
van Basten, Maldini, Zidane, Baresi, Maradona, Boban, Baggio, Matthaus, Costacurta
MaGasTeR said:
I always believed that Abbiati is better than Dida :rolleyes:

Haha just one ? Dida had hundreds of mistakes. :alien:

That's why we shipped him back to Brazil to get more experience.

I agree that he made mistakes at his first year at Milan, but that Leeds game is THE ONE that many will remember. Even nowadays in some CL games, commentators still mention it whenever Dida made an easy catch.

louise_dk

Primavera
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Jon Dahl Tomasson
What a name :-/ Can anyone pronounce it properly? I sure can't :-/

r3dman

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta - Maldini
Congo Powers said:

I was a fan much longer than that, but I still mantain my opinion. He had indeed a good season when we won Serie A, but after that he also cost us a title with his stupid mistakes. And his performances got poorer and poorer by the season. I'm NOT considering last season because he didn't play enough then.

Sandro Nesta

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Kaka, Maldini!, Inzaghi, Gattuso
Congo Powers said:
just a guess---maybe we signed him to fill the void left by abbiati's departure?
You got a point there mate:) thanks just lost track with the "almost" signing of Vieri

David

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Abbiati got us half of that 1999 title. I'll never forget his save against Bucchi vs. Perugia in the last round. Let's thank him for that and move on. Surely if he gets back in shape this season we'll have him back.

Bambino D'oro

Banned
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Nesta, Pirlo, Oddo, Diana, Gilardino, Toni, Volpi, Totti, De Rossi
Barremans said:
Milan sign Eleftheropoulos ...

The 28-year-old, who made 10 Serie A appearances last term, will wear the No 21 shirt and provide cover for first choice ‘keeper Nelson Dida.

source: channel4.com

21?? isnt that pirlos number!!!????

A Wild Homosexual

*Rejuvenation*
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Baresi - Maldini - Nesta - Jessica Alba
i respect abiati.

but dont get how some ppl doubt Dida.
we have the best GK in the world.

4 sure he do mistakes.
but name me a player who doesnt?!!!!!

4 the past 2 years i didnt see any keeper who did save his team like dida did.

go go dida- am with u man.

DonippoKakaShevdini

Santo Baresi
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Der Franco
I can't even say this guy's name. Oh well, welcome to the side and the Coppa Italia awaits your many stellar performances.

Luis

You'll never drink alone!
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Pelé, Shevchenko, Zamorano, Salas & Alexis Sánchez
NeSTa_86 said:
i am not sure that he is good enough for milan,but.....without abbiati we don't have second keeper

Full name: Dimitrios Eleftheropoulos
DOB: August 7, 1976
Birthplace: Piraeus, Greece
Nationality: Greek
EU passport: Yes
Height: 190 cm
Weight: 83 kg

Club: Messina
Position: Goalkeeper
Number: 0
Contract Expires: June 2006
Previous Clubs: Olympiakos > Proodefthiki FC > Olympiakos > released > (free) Messina

International debut: February 1999, v Belgium
Caps: 12
Goals: 0
World Cups: none
Palmares:
Greek League (97, 98, 99, 00, 01, 02, 03)
Greek Cup (99)

UEFA Champions League GK of the Year (98) <---- ? maybe he used to be very solid...

Luis

You'll never drink alone!
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Pelé, Shevchenko, Zamorano, Salas & Alexis Sánchez
I think Valerio Fiori will be the second goalkeeper for AC Milan, Eleftheropoulos will be the third... that's my humble opinion, someone agree?

Last edited:

MaGasTeR

Pride of Yorkshire
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Pippo, Kewell, Kaka, A. Smith, Nesta, Bowyer, Rino, Viduka, Sheva, Rob. Keane, Gila, Harte, Maldini
Luis said:
I think Valerio Fiori will be the second goalkeeper for AC Milan, Eleftheropoulos will be the third... that's my humble opinion, someone agree?
No, it will be Elefto the 2nd GK and Fiori 3rd, Elefto >>>>>>> Fiori, Fiori is 37 ffs.

crazy4milan

Exotic Stevie G
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini,Weah,Nesta,Dida
Welcome to him, however his name is spelled.
Good bye Abbiati, thanks for everything.

DonippoRuiShevdini said:
I can't even say this guy's name. Oh well, welcome to the side and the Coppa Italia awaits your many stellar performances.

Not only Coppa Italia, he may have a chance in some CL games in group stage if we are already qualified, and may also have a chance at some Serie A games(specially in the last few weeks if everything is decided already).

Beemer

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Amen, Wild. :cool:

Unfortunately, small minds think small:
I always believed that Abbiati is better than Dida.

Haha just one ? Dida had hundreds of mistakes.
Thank you, Tiny. :head:

ACMilan.com did say how they're going to get Eleftheropoulos' last name on the jersey. They're going to stitch half of it and then put "Continued on Front" beneath his number.

Here's a great radio promotion Milan should take advantage of: first person to spell his name correctly and say it 3 times fast wins season tickets.

Schedule