The Red & Black Forums | An AC Milan Community The Red & Black Forums | An AC Milan Community The Red & Black Forums | An AC Milan Community

Go Back   The Red & Black Forums > AC Milan > AC Milan History, Legends, Icons & Former Players

AC Milan History, Legends, Icons & Former Players Talk about the history of AC Milan or its legendary/ordinary former players.

Old 07-03-2004, 09:50   #1
Edi
AC Milan Legend

Fav. Players: Maldini,Nesta,Kaka,
Default Andrea Pirlo Thread

I was just wondering if Pirlo can play in a different position than what he is playing now.Carlo won’t be Milan’s coach forever so my question is if another coach comes will he count on Pirlo?Pirlo is great one of my favorite players with great technique, pass but he needs to work little on his defensive skills.When Terim was a coach he did not count on Pirlo that much and when Carlo came the first season he was Rui’s sub and played as a playmaker.If another coach plays for example a 4-4-2 formation can he play as a central midfielder like this:
Gatusso Kaka Pirlo and Seedorf(or a wing)

If Pirlo works on his defensive skills and spends more extra hours in the gym lifting weights so that becomes stronger he can be the best.I really want him in Milan for a long time.I want to hear your opinion about Pirlo playing in another position.

Signature
I TOLD YOU HE WILL LEAD US TO GLORY AGAIN
EAT YOUR WORDS NOW LOSERS
Edi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2004, 12:47   #2
Kyara
¤ Il Poeta ¤

Fav. Players: MVB|Sheva|Max|Maldini|Kakŕ

At the beginning when Pirlo came to Milan a few years ago, it was difficult to find a constant position for him ... But I think that Carletto gave him the right place where he should've been from the start! There aren't any worries, at least from my side, that any other coach wouldn't place him in the same position as that's the position where he really proved himself
Nevertheless, I do agree that he should work more on his defensive skills and try to enhance them! He's got the talent of being able to control the ball, create chances through short or long passes and of course to score his beautiful either "chippers" or normal penalties!
During the game he's got a clear picture and a view of the players and the team's positioning on the pitch, which gives him the ability of creating those chances ... The only disadvantage I see in him, where he should be putting more effort, is that he can very quickly lose the ball due to pressure from the opponenets which can sometimes cost us a lot (remember our first leg match against Juve last year? )!
All in all I see that Trilly's an excellent player though and we were extremely lucky to snatch him from Inter ... At least Milan such a talent is being used!

FORZA TRILLY!!
FORZA MILAN!!
Kyara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2004, 13:04   #3
MilanMania
Senior Team Member

Fav. Players: Pirlo, Maldini, Ambrosini
Default Official: Andrea Pirlo Thread

This is now the Official: Andrea Pirlo Thread
- Seamus -

I wonder if anybody here fancy him too? Hehe Or just admired him as a player.

Frankly, I think Pirlo is a great player but he is rather quite underrated. Dont you think so? Not much people outside Italy or non-Milan fans have taken notice of him.

Even ex Italy coach, Trap didn't like to start him in the first eleven. He failed to notice such a talented player like Pirlo. If the 1st match for Euro 2004, Pirlo get to be in the starting line-up. I bet everything will be different. I don't even think there'll be any problem for Pirlo to play alongside with players like Totti, Del Piero or Vieri. I really hope the Lippi won't overlook Pirlo again.

Pirlo has been playing well for Milan. I guess his best season in Milan was 02/03 when Milan won the CL. I hope he can keep playing well for Milan and also he can break into the 1st team place for Azzurri!

FORZA MILAN! FORZA PIRLO!

Last edited by Italian Tsar; 22-07-2006 at 08:54.
MilanMania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2004, 13:23   #4
Passion for *9*
AC Milan Icon

Fancy him ? Not really

He didn't make a huge difference when he played during EURO2004 He's OK I guess, I kinda expected him to grow into a real great player, but so far he hasn't quite met my expectations yet... His build is always going to set limitations to his play. He's just such a lightweight + needs in-form Gattuso around to play at his best.

Signature

▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ perfection ▪ ▪
Passion for *9* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2004, 14:02   #5
Rivaldo-11
World Cup Winner

Fav. Players: Rivaldo, Sheva, Kaka, Nesta

Come on! With hair like that how couldnt u.

Andrea would make a perfect fit on "That 70's show" with Kelso and Eric and Fezz hahah great show....anyway im off topic.

Pirlo is a very good player and brings alot to Milan....but 'great;, i dont think so - not yet anyway, hes only 26 soi spose he can get better yet.

Signature
Rivaldo-11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2004, 16:02   #6
gaizka22
Apprentice father

Fav. Players: van Basten, Maldini, Zidane, Baresi, Maradona, Boban, Baggio, Matthaus, Costacurta

Pirlo is a great player in the making. Maybe because his position is not so clearly defined that he doesn't shine as much. He naturally plays in Zidane position in France national team but since Milan has Rui Costa (and Rivaldo 2 seasons ago), he didn't really fit but since he's such a good player Ancelotti wouldn't let him sit in a bench and created a unique position for him and it works perfect for him and Milan. Although he needs to improve his defending skill.

But outside Milan his position is unknown. No other club has even tried that position, originally intended for a defensive midfield. Trap tried on the 2nd game of Euro and it works better for the team. The fact that he plays so well whenever Rino is playing too can't be blamed, they know each other's play so well in the club, the way Raul and Morientes do in Spain national team.

I like him pretty much. Classy, good in freekick, both feet working, pin-point long passes and sometimes he can surprise with deadly long distance shot. But he tends to play too beautiful and didn't pull the trigger fast enough, just like the game againts Lazio this season, one on one with the keeper but tried to fool the goalie. Maybe if the score was still 1-1 or Lasio was still leading he would score. I see him as an important ingredients for Milan for 3-4 years to come.

One last thing, I really like his hair, tried to do my hair like that but my GF wouldn't let me

Signature
If there’s a God, you must see Him in your heart
If there’s a soul, you must perceive it
Otherwise, it is better not to believe
It is better to be an outspoken atheist
Than to become a religious hypocrite
gaizka22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2004, 19:01   #7
Congo Powers
o/ o/ o/ o/ o/ o/ o/ o/

Fav. Players: Silvio Berlusconi, Rui Costa, Weah, Sheva, Stam, Kaka, Abbiati, Cassano, Mexes, KPB, Mario, Sheva

on-form, i think pirlo is by far the best italian midfielder.
Congo Powers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2004, 05:20   #8
MilanMania
Senior Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passion for *9*
He didn't make a huge difference when he played during EURO2004 .
Did you see the friendly match, Italy won 4-0 over Tunisia? Although it's just Tunisia, they did play an impressive game. Didn't they? If the starting line-up for the game against Denmark is the same as the game against Tunisia, I still think things will be different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivaldo-11
Come on! With hair like that how couldnt u.

Andrea would make a perfect fit on "That 70's show" with Kelso and Eric and Fezz hahah great show....anyway im off topic.

Pirlo is a very good player and brings alot to Milan....but 'great;, i dont think so - not yet anyway, hes only 26 soi spose he can get better yet.

So isn't his hair make him 'special'? Lol!

I also think the same way. He is still young. I bet that's still plenty of chance for him to perform.

Baggio used to hail him as his successor. Im waiting for the day to come although it might be quite hard.
Old 27-12-2004, 13:14   #9
superman_1899

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaizka22
Classy, good in freekick, both feet working, pin-point long passes and sometimes he can surprise with deadly long distance shot. But he tends to play too beautiful and didn't pull the trigger fast enough, just like the game againts Lazio this season, one on one with the keeper but tried to fool the goalie. Maybe if the score was still 1-1 or Lasio was still leading he would score. I see him as an important ingredients for Milan for 3-4 years to come.
agreed!!!

pirlo is currently the best midfielder in italy... he is a well balanced player, both defensively and offensively... you dont need an in-form gattuso or seedorf for that matter to make him a heavyweight...

he is a player that sets milan's tempo and direction of the game... he is cheer class... even buffon is afraid of him...

perhaps if italy could adapt milan's midfield system then i think the italian team will certainly have what it takes to win trophies... bcos currently milan's system has and is working very well... third season in the running... with the right players matched to their respective position i think italy will be unstoppable...
Old 27-12-2004, 15:44   #10
Cescania
World Cup Winner

Fav. Players: Maldini

I think he's the best defensive midfielder in Italy. His long passes are in excellent accuracy and dangerously placed . But I think he should put on some more weight. He's a bit too thin and is always the one who falls when there is a crash.

Signature
FORZA FORZA FORZA

A boy born to be a legend
Cescania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2004, 15:50   #11
~Biski Biskit~
AC Milan Legend

Fav. Players: None, but thinking of some.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilanMania
Did you see the friendly match, Italy won 4-0 over Tunisia? Although it's just Tunisia, they did play an impressive game. Didn't they? If the starting line-up for the game against Denmark is the same as the game against Tunisia, I still think things will be different.
Friendly game isn't the same as Euro group stage game, and I think that Denmark is a better national side than Tunisia.

One thing about Pirlo is when the camera turns on him, he always looks almost lifeless and seems to never blink.
~Biski Biskit~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2004, 03:50   #12
MilanMania
Senior Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Biski Biskit~
One thing about Pirlo is when the camera turns on him, he always looks almost lifeless and seems to never blink.
You can't blame him for that. That's his facial expression. I guess he is just born with it. Lol! He always has that kind of 'sleepy' look. I bet that's what he wants too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cescania
But I think he should put on some more weight. He's a bit too thin and is always the one who falls when there is a crash..
That can help Milan to earn a penalty. Lol!
Old 28-12-2004, 10:23   #13
Pranjic
Senior Team Member

Fav. Players: Boban, Savičević, Weah, Baggio

Pirlo is a very good player with the potential to become one of Milan's legends,especially if he keeps winning trophies the way he has so far + he's Italian so that helps.He is the best midfielder Italy have got and why Trap and now Lippi doesn't use him more is a mistery cuz he can play in different positions to the one in which he plays for Milan and it's not like ther are a lot of Italian midfielders of his class,as long as he's performing for Milan he'll have to be given a real chance in the national team sooner rather than later
Pranjic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2004, 10:26   #14
Passion for *9*
AC Milan Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilanMania
That can help Milan to earn a penalty. Lol!
Not in midfield, dear

Signature

▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ perfection ▪ ▪
Passion for *9* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2004, 13:55   #15
superman_1899

but he scores em with STYLE!!!!
Old 28-12-2004, 15:41   #16
17-und-4
World Cup Winner

Fav. Players: Sheva - Gila - Kaka - Rui Costa

Quote:
Originally Posted by us_bombs

Agreed!!
17-und-4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2004, 15:50   #17
~Biski Biskit~
AC Milan Legend

Fav. Players: None, but thinking of some.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cescania
I think he's the best defensive midfielder in Italy.
In Italy ? Or best Italian defensive mid ?
Personally I don't rate him as high in defensive midfield department simply because as you mentioned he falls down lightly. All defensive midfielders must have good tackling abilities and strength which he lacks.
~Biski Biskit~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2004, 20:18   #18
Seamus
AC Milan Legend

Fav. Players: Anyone playing for AC Milan

Well look at it this way. If Pirlo wasn't starting it would be Ambrosini in there. I like Ambro, he's been a good servant to Milan, but I'd take Pirlo any day over Ambro. When on form Pirlo's probably one of the best Italian central midfielders, but he does go down to easily. I'd like to see a little more Gattuso's fire in his play.

Signature
Be civil to all; sociable to many; familiar with few; friend to one; enemy to none.
- Benjamin Franklin -

A slip of the foot you may soon recover, but a slip of the tongue you may never get over.
- Benjamin Franklin -
Seamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2004, 21:08   #19
menon_inc
¤ I Still Believe ¤

Quote:
Originally Posted by us_bombs
agreed......if he is on form...i think we can go all the way...2 win the serie a...n champs league.....he's role is crucial..

Signature
AC MILAN --THE BEST THERE IS
THE BEST THERE WAS
AND THE BEST THERE EVER WILL BE
-----------http://talkmilan.blogspot.com/--------

Legends
menon_inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2004, 23:13   #20
K-J
World Cup Winner

Fav. Players: Tomáš Rosický

This guy is why I started to like Milan. And after that I just liked every player. The role Pirlo has on the field has such an impact on how the team will play in that game. He might not be as strong as Rino or have Maldini's tackling skills, but his creativity and versatility make it all up. His long, accurate passes, set pieces and ball control just make me drool every time I have the chance to watch a Milan game.

His ball control actually kinda reminds me of Beckham. And his crosses... damn. If his progress continues I can see him become a legend. And finding a worthy replacement if he's injured or banned is not an easy job.

Although he's a "lightweight", I'd rather play with him than against him.

Signature

K-J is offline   Reply With Quote