The Red & Black Forums | An AC Milan Community The Red & Black Forums | An AC Milan Community The Red & Black Forums | An AC Milan Community

Go Back   The Red & Black Forums > AC Milan > AC Milan History, Legends, Icons & Former Players

AC Milan History, Legends, Icons & Former Players Talk about the history of AC Milan or its legendary/ordinary former players.

Old 28-12-2004, 23:46   #21
Passion for *9*
AC Milan Icon

I have expected more from him, can't repeat it enough. His consistency this season is.. well, let's put it this way: it's sth. I'm still waiting for. And did I mention his biggest disadvantage aside from the frail physical build, his slowness ? Therefore his accuracy is such a must, to partially compensate his weaknesses. And when it fails him, he's pretty much useless. I think that's what K-J means when drooling on his impact on the game. He's either great + dictating the flow + creating... or... crap. Hardly ever anything in between. Take all of Milan's rather unimpressive, uninspired matches this season, I bet they had one thing in common: an underperforming Pirlo.

Signature

▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ perfection ▪ ▪
Passion for *9* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2004, 23:52   #22
Congo Powers
silvio eternal

Fav. Players: Silvio Berlusconi, Rui Costa, Pippo, Sheva, Stam, Kaka, Abbiati, Cassano, Mexes, KPB, Mario, Sheva

i'm a better milan fan than all of you out there put together. its true, so shut up if you don't think so. all of you two-bit asses who think you know about milan don't know dick. because of this, whenever anyone says something positive about milan, i'm going to criticise their post, belittle their knowledge, make stereotypes, and pretty much be a bitch from now on. i think that's what you're supposed to do if you're a milan expert, so i will.

Signature
I will become even more undignified than this
Congo Powers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2004, 00:11   #23
Passion for *9*
AC Milan Icon

Yea, the droolers could really shut up sometimes. All this crap about superiority + best in the world is embarrassing to read sometimes. If you need to constantly celebrate + glorify every fart coming out of Milanello, do it, but refrain from demanding that everyone does the same.

Signature

Old 29-12-2004, 16:25   #24
superman_1899

Two basic need of a defensive midfielder…

1) good aggression
2) good vision

well base on this, to qualify for the first criteria a defensive midfielder should have a strong physique to win the ball and not fall easily on challenges…

and for the second criteria… a defensive midfielder should have good vision to launch quick counter attack and hold the midfield together when attacking…

pirlo’s role as a defensive midfielder is only to a certain extent… bcos pirlo’s function as a defensive midfielder (as for the defensive aspect) is to defuse the opponents attack… for instance whenever you see an opponent on milan’s half… you would see pirlo very close to them instead challenging them, (but on rare occasions he will make that challenge) ... ever wonder y?... its because he doesn’t qualify for the first criteria and he certainly doesn’t have the physique for it, you cant blame him for that…

pirlo’s role as a defensive midfielder which was created by carlo is being used more of a alternative attacking weapon then a defensive role!!! should the strike force fail…

I use the word “defuse” bcos he would be close to any Milan player whom is making the challenge, to take control of the loose ball and set up the counter… which he is doing it very well… try observing his play for once…

Plus you got to admit, he does have a calming effect when Milan is under pressure…
Old 29-12-2004, 16:26   #25
superman_1899

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passion for *9*
Yea, the droolers could really shut up sometimes. All this crap about superiority + best in the world is embarrassing to read sometimes. If you need to constantly celebrate + glorify every fart coming out of Milanello, do it, but refrain from demanding that everyone does the same.
at the moment he is the best at what he has been told to do... and he does it with style...
Old 29-12-2004, 17:23   #26
gaizka22
Apprentice father

Fav. Players: van Basten, Maldini, Zidane, Baresi, Maradona, Boban, Baggio, Matthaus, Costacurta

Pirlo is "forced" to play in that position. I remember in one article Ambrosini started to feel that the position would not be given to him at the Trofeo Berlusconi game before the 02-03 season. During the 1st half Milan played like shit. At the start of 2nd half Pirlo came to replace Max and it was better. That's how it started.

But about him being the best Italian creative midfield, he's second only to Totti and Fiore before. This role is such a rare species in Italy.

Signature
If there’s a God, you must see Him in your heart
If there’s a soul, you must perceive it
Otherwise, it is better not to believe
It is better to be an outspoken atheist
Than to become a religious hypocrite
gaizka22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2004, 17:27   #27
superman_1899

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaizka22
Pirlo is "forced" to play in that position. I remember in one article Ambrosini started to feel that the position would not be given to him at the Trofeo Berlusconi game before the 02-03 season. During the 1st half Milan played like shit. At the start of 2nd half Pirlo came to replace Max and it was better. That's how it started.

But about him being the best Italian creative midfield, he's second only to Totti and Fiore before. This role is such a rare species in Italy.
totti is more of a forward then a midfielder... and fiore is not worth to be mentioned here...
Old 29-12-2004, 17:29   #28
milan_fan
Senior Team Member

Fav. Players: kaka, pirlo, gilardino, pippo, dida, sheva

Quote:
I have expected more from him, can't repeat it enough. His consistency this season is.. well, let's put it this way: it's sth. I'm still waiting for. And did I mention his biggest disadvantage aside from the frail physical build, his slowness ? Therefore his accuracy is such a must, to partially compensate his weaknesses. And when it fails him, he's pretty much useless. I think that's what K-J means when drooling on his impact on the game. He's either great + dictating the flow + creating... or... crap. Hardly ever anything in between. Take all of Milan's rather unimpressive, uninspired matches this season, I bet they had one thing in common: an underperforming Pirlo.
the words outta my mouth... i always grunt about milan not having any good midfielders when we play crap. we lose possesion like jerks. we depend too much on the threesome (pirlo, seedorf, gattuso) in the midfield, who can perform badly at times(unfortunately the bad form seems contagious)

certainly pirlo not the best guy in the defensive midfielder role... but surely his qualities are unique and awesome. i guess he'll fit in leftmid more.(uhmm... i m being speculative again

Signature

----------- milan beats right here -----------
milan_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2004, 17:42   #29
gaizka22
Apprentice father

Fav. Players: van Basten, Maldini, Zidane, Baresi, Maradona, Boban, Baggio, Matthaus, Costacurta

Quote:
Originally Posted by superman_1899
totti is more of a forward then a midfielder... and fiore is not worth to be mentioned here...
I see your point. But he plays behind Cassano and Montella in Roma although current scheme by Del Neri opted for 3 forwards with Totti in the middle. In In the last 3-4 years in Roma he always played behind 2 strikers (Batistuta, Delvecchio, Montella, Cassano, Paolo Sergio, Balbo). And also at WC 2002 he was designed to play behind Pippo and Vieri. Injury to Pippo forced Trap to pushed him up front and messed up the whole scheme.

As for Fiore, I was referring to his performance before the Euro 2000. Not now...

Signature
If there’s a God, you must see Him in your heart
If there’s a soul, you must perceive it
Otherwise, it is better not to believe
It is better to be an outspoken atheist
Than to become a religious hypocrite
gaizka22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2004, 17:42   #30
superman_1899

i dont think many here, understand pirlo's role as a defensive midfield in milan....

if only you guys understand it, then you guys wouldnt been saying such a thing!!!
Old 29-12-2004, 17:47   #31
Pranjic
Senior Team Member

Fav. Players: Boban, Savičević, Weah, Baggio

Quote:
Take all of Milan's rather unimpressive, uninspired matches this season, I bet they had one thing in common: an underperforming Pirlo.
This may or may not be true don't really want to get into that,but doesn't this show that maybe we depend on him too much?Other teams do know that he has one of the key roles in our system of play and when they do try to mark him it should be up to seedorf and Gattuso to pick the pace use the extra space and make it easier on him.He's not the only guy in the middle of the park it's not his fault for everything that goes on in midfield...personally I think that he gets too much stick for every bad midfield perfomance,there are three other guys in there with him!
Pranjic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2004, 18:05   #32
~Biski Biskit~
AC Milan Legend

Fav. Players: None, but thinking of some.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranjic
personally I think that he gets too much stick for every bad midfield perfomance,there are three other guys in there with him!
Seedorf gets as much of that as Pirlo, if not more. Kaka's loss of form did not go unseen either. So I'd say It's pretty equally spread out.
~Biski Biskit~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2004, 18:14   #33
superman_1899

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Biski Biskit~
Seedorf gets as much of that as Pirlo, if not more. Kaka's loss of form did not go unseen either. So I'd say It's pretty equally spread out.
then why was there a short period of pirlo bashing!!!
Old 29-12-2004, 18:19   #34
~Biski Biskit~
AC Milan Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by superman_1899
then why was there a short period of pirlo bashing!!!
Well every player gets their share of criticism.
Old 29-12-2004, 20:49   #35
Pranjic
Senior Team Member

Fav. Players: Boban, Savičević, Weah, Baggio

Quote:
And thats how it should be,I just don't think that it's fair to the guy to say that he's at fault for every bad performance this seson
Pranjic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2004, 04:32   #36
MilanMania
Senior Team Member

Fav. Players: Pirlo, Maldini, Ambrosini

Quote:
Take all of Milan's rather unimpressive, uninspired matches this season, I bet they had one thing in common: an underperforming Pirlo.
Didn't it show Milan depends alot on him?

Quote:
So somebody shouldn't just keep criticising Pirlo.
MilanMania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2004, 06:09   #37
menon_inc
¤ I Still Believe ¤

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilanMania
Didn't it show Milan depends alot on him?

i agree...with u...pirlo is a key player in milan...his form could have been effected cuz of the busy euro n olympics fixture...but im sure the rest will do him good....!..

Signature
AC MILAN --THE BEST THERE IS
THE BEST THERE WAS
AND THE BEST THERE EVER WILL BE
-----------http://talkmilan.blogspot.com/--------

Legends
menon_inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2004, 12:51   #38
Passion for *9*
AC Milan Icon

Quote:
I see you haven't dug out my loving + caring Seedorf posts yet

Pirlo is quite OK

Signature

Old 30-12-2004, 16:03   #39
superman_1899

Quote:
agreed with your statement, but being bashed for the wrong reason is another thing all together...

u can bash him for his football inabilities but besides that we shouldnt...
Old 30-12-2004, 16:25   #40
~Biski Biskit~
AC Milan Legend

Quote:

Haha, well since this is a Pirlo thread, and It's Pirlo that were discussing it's hard to criticise or praise anyone else but the man himself.