The Red & Black Forums | An AC Milan Community The Red & Black Forums | An AC Milan Community The Red & Black Forums | An AC Milan Community

Go Back   The Red & Black Forums > Other > Football

Football Talk about the wonderful game.

Old 06-04-2007, 15:36   #1
GreatKalu
I still believe!

Default African Football

A thread where we can discuss African football and African footballers.

I'll start with the upcoming CAF (Confederation of African Football) ACN (African Cup of Nations) due to be hosted by Ghana in 2008. Countries are divided into twelve groups with group-winners guaranteed a place while the 4 best runners up will also be picked. Here's the official current standings.

Also found this interesting little piece on Eto'o Junior . The article mentions Yaya Toure, a midfielder who played in the WC for CIV + also played for Olimpiakos last season.
GreatKalu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 15:56   #2
Metalheadache
Il Capitano

Fav. Players: Maldini, Nesta, Oddo, Janku, Kaka, Gattuso, Pirlo, Gourcuff, Pippo, Gilardino, Dida & Co.

Nice.... at least we know something about African football

Signature
Metalheadache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 15:59   #3
Passion for *9*
AC Milan Icon

Thanks a lot, madtherchot

I'll try + contribute regularly, as much as time permits, esp. on Ivory Coast, one problem is articles out of there are in French of course, + since translating everything would be asked a little much, this thread is also going to be an exercise in tolerance for some overzealous mods.

For updates on African football, BBC are doing a fairly decent job, at least regarding the big names + big issues

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/foot...ca/default.stm

Signature

▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ ▪ perfection ▪ ▪
Passion for *9* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 16:01   #4
radioactivenerd
Gol de Pablitooooo

Fav. Players: Maldini, Batistuta, Crespo, Aimar, Roberto Carlos, Totti, Ayala, Rui Costa, Nesta, BARAJA

What are the national leagues like in Africa? Are they popular within the individual countries at all, or it mostly european-centric fandom?
And who are the current African Champions league holders? Im probably showing my ignorance by calling it that, but I would welcome corrections to my nomenclature

Signature

Save Us

radioactivenerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 16:52   #5
GreatKalu
I still believe!

You're welcome. I've been meaning to do this for a while now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by radioactivenerd
What are the national leagues like in Africa? Are they popular within the individual countries at all, or it mostly european-centric fandom?
And who are the current African Champions league holders? Im probably showing my ignorance by calling it that, but I would welcome corrections to my nomenclature
Well, I can't really comment on the whole continent, but I can confidently say the local leagues of Egypt, Tunisia, Morroco and South Africa have a large following mainly because of the richer clubs they have + the talented players they tend to buy. Recently, Angola, Namibia, Nigeria, Ghana and CIV have had decent sides entered in to the Champions league, with Nigerian side Enyimba winning two in a row two and three years ago. Current champions are Egyptian side Al Ahly, who made it to the Semis of the World Club Cup only to lose out to the eventual winners. I think Zamalek (EGY) has won the tournament the most number of times ... 5 times.

There's also the Confederation Cup (similar to Uefa Cup) but that isn't highly covered. But all details of these competitions are in the CAF official website.

Here's an article on what the future holds in store for African Nations, with new policies in place trying to give equal opportunities (for development) for the not so developed African footballing countries.
Old 06-04-2007, 17:09   #6
Passion for *9*
AC Milan Icon

Last year's CAF Champions League season : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CAF_Champions_League_2006]

Unless our 2 or 3 African forum members are willing to shed some light on football in their homelands, questions regarding African domestic leagues are better asked in African forums. Having never lived there, having no ties except to some Algerian + Moroccan (very Frenchified) expats + having merely started to become interested in more than just supporting the African 'underdogs' in the World Cup, I don't feel competent to tackle the issue.

http://forum.cybereagles.com (Nigeria)
http://discussions.ghanaweb.com

Google around.

Signature

Old 06-04-2007, 17:32   #7
Edi
AC Milan Legend

Fav. Players: Maldini,Nesta,Kaka,

Quote:
Originally Posted by madtherchot
The article mentions Yaya Toure, a midfielder who played in the WC for CIV + also played for Olimpiakos last season.
I havent seen Yaya Toure play but they say he is better then his brother.Arsenal,Barcelona are intrested in him...

Signature
I TOLD YOU HE WILL LEAD US TO GLORY AGAIN
EAT YOUR WORDS NOW LOSERS
Edi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 19:11   #8
Passion for *9*
AC Milan Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edi
I havent seen Yaya Toure play but they say he is better then his brother.Arsenal,Barcelona are intrested in him...
Yaya Touré I thought was quite eye-catching + impressive in the World Cup but strangely none of the 'big' European teams made an attempt to sign him...

He's having a good season @ Monaco, even if Monaco aren't exactly title contenders...

Signature

Last edited by Passion for *9*; 06-04-2007 at 20:00.
Old 07-04-2007, 01:18   #9
GreatKalu
I still believe!

Well I wouldn't go as far as saying he's better than bigger bro Tolo ... but then, I'm quite the Tolo fan Also, he's a defensive midfielder so it's hard to compare the two. I saw a few of his games while he was at Olimpiakos in last season's UCL, where he was equally impressive. He also looked good during ACN 2006 in Egypt ... though, it must be said, the linchpin in the Ivorian midfield is Zokora of Spurs. Haven't seen Yaya this season.

Do you really want me to shed some light on the Zambian Premier League? Well, it's hardly competitive nowadays with Zanaco (Zambia National Commercial Bank) picking trophy after trophy. The recent trend has seen bigger clubs from the South African PSL and, to a lesser extent, Namibia, pick up most Zambian players. Zanaco, on the other hand, aren't short of funds in a league which is short of sponsorship, and hence, have the advantage.

In earlier years when Zambia was a huge African Footballing force, the then thriving copper mines sponsored top teams such as Mufulira Wanderers (where Kalusha Bwalya was developed) and Nkana Red Devils who recently relegated for the first time in their + ZPL's history - they've won the tittle the most. In the 1974 (?) ACN final, most players from both teams (Zambia and then Zaire) played in the ZPL.

Nowadays, we've resorted to finding bigger European teams to support in addition to our heart breakers as damage management caused by Zanaco. Some still seem keen on being disappointed with West Ham United a popular outfit in my neighborhood. But EPL's relatively big because it's covered by our media unfortunately much more than our very own Premier League.
Old 07-04-2007, 05:34   #10
DonippoKakaShevdini
Santo Baresi

Fav. Players: Der Franco

Quote:
Well I wouldn't go as far as saying he's better than bigger bro Tolo ... but then, I'm quite the Tolo fan Also, he's a defensive midfielder so it's hard to compare the two. I saw a few of his games while he was at Olimpiakos in last season's UCL, where he was equally impressive. He also looked good during ACN 2006 in Egypt ... though, it must be said, the linchpin in the Ivorian midfield is Zokora of Spurs. Haven't seen Yaya this season.
I rate him above his brother. He has the size and ability to be a Diarra/Vieira type player. The World Cup showcased this, but unfortunately the Ivory Coast was in the Group of Death. He was incredibly noticeable from that holding midfield position in all three group matches v. elite international sides in Holland and Argentina, and a very good side in Serbia. I honestly think he could excel in England, Spain, or Italy in due time.

Signature

The World will always be Red & Black....But Europe is Red & Gold.

Triunfa España! Los yunques y las ruedas cantan al compás del himno de la fe.
DonippoKakaShevdini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 15:11   #11
Passion for *9*
AC Milan Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonippoKakaGourdini
I honestly think he could excel in England, Spain, or Italy in due time.
And in due time is NOW. Turning 24 in May, he should be ready for a bit of a challenge. If only Milan were a more attractive destination

---

It's CAF Champions League + Confederations Cup weekend btw (1/8 final stage, 1st leg).

CL fixtures :

Mamelodi Sundowns (South Africa) v Ahly (Egypt)
Nasarawa United (Nigeria) v Al Hilal (Sudan)
Maranatha Fiokpo (Togo) v Etoile du Sahel (Tunisia)
Etoile (Congo) v Al-Ittihad (Libya)
ASEC (Cote d’Ivoire) 2-0 Wydad Casablanca (Morocco)
Esperance (Tunisia) 3-0 Young Africans (Tanzania)
TP Mazembe (Congo) v FAR Rabat (Morocco)
Cotonsport Garoua (Cameroon) v JS Kabylie (Algeria)

Confederations Cup fixtures :

Atraco (Rwanda) 2-2 Gaouafel Gafsa (Tunisia)
ASO Chlef (Algeria) v Al-Merreikh (Sudan)
Issia Wazi (Cote d’Ivoire) 1-0 CS Sfaxien (Tunisia)
Ismaili (Egypt) 2-1 Green Buffaloes (Zambia)
Benfica Luanda (Angola) v Astres Douala (Cameroon)
Etoile Filante (Burkina Faso) v Mwana Africa (Zimbabwe)
Dolphins (Nigeria) v Hassania Agadir (Morocco)
Union Douala (Cameroon) v Kwara Utd (Nigeria)

-edited to add scores-

Signature

Last edited by Passion for *9*; 08-04-2007 at 21:04.
Old 07-04-2007, 16:00   #12
Faяouk
Banned

Fav. Players: Filippo Inzaghi, C Ronaldo, Kaka, Joe Cole, Totti, Recoba, Rui Costa, Pirlo, Gattuso, Maldini, Nesta

I think that I have some things to say in this thread, being an Egyptian and part of African football all of the time. This is a very good thread, and maybe will be one of the most successful threads on this boards ... hopefully I will be a regular contributer.

I feel I should start by talking about my country ... Egypt. Egypt is the most African team to win the African Cup of Nations ... we won it five times in 1957, 1959, 1986, 1998, 2006. Egypt has played in two World Cups, the two times to be hosted by Italy, 1934 and 1990. Both times failing to pass group stages, but we played a memorable match against Netherlands, the World's best team at that time; and we drew 1-1 with them in a game that we deserved to win. We left the tournament after a 1-0 defeat against England and a draw with Ireland. Our most capped player and all time goalscorer has to be the veteran Hossam Hassan. Egypt currently is building a new generation in order to reach World Cup 2010 in South Africa and to defend our African title in Ghana 2008.

As for the team I support, I've mentioned it more than once ... It's Zamalek from Egypt. My favorite team, I like it even more than Milan ... I support it with passion. Zamalek has won the Egyptian league 11 times, Egyptian cup 22 times, Egyptian super cup 2 times, African Champions league 5 times, African super cup 3 times, etc ... Total of 57 tournaments.

I think that was enough for my first post in this thread, I don't have any time to write more now ... but I will be a regular poster in this thread and give you all the information I know about African football.

Quote:
I think Zamalek (EGY) has won the tournament the most number of times ... 5 times.
True. That's my team

Last edited by Faяouk; 08-04-2007 at 13:36.
Faяouk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 10:22   #13
GreatKalu
I still believe!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faяouk
Our most capped player and all time goalscorer has to be the veteran Hossam Hassan.
I've always liked Baldie Hassan. Brought you your 4th African Cup in the 1998 final against defending champions South Africa, remember? Pitty you knocked Zambia out in the group stages
Quote:
Egypt currently is building a new generation in order to reach World Cup 2010 in Ghana and to defend our title.
World Cup's in South Africa and I don't remember Egypt winning it in 2006 African Cup 2008 should solve the problem
Old 08-04-2007, 13:43   #14
Faяouk
Banned

Fav. Players: Filippo Inzaghi, C Ronaldo, Kaka, Joe Cole, Totti, Recoba, Rui Costa, Pirlo, Gattuso, Maldini, Nesta

Quote:
I've always liked Baldie Hassan. Brought you your 4th African Cup in the 1998 final against defending champions South Africa, remember? Pitty you knocked Zambia out in the group stages
Of course I do BTW, before the tournament everybody in Egypt believed that we will get out of the group stages, Morocco + Zambia were better than us ... there was no chance we were going to beat Morocco [we never do, even if we are miles better ... Egypt usually fails against other northern african teams, specially Morocco] So we had to beat you before we play Morocco to make sure we qualified. Thanks to Hassan we won 4-0 Hazem Emam, my Idol was at his top that time ... was still young and full of youth, ever heard of him?

Quote:
World Cup's in South Africa and I don't remember Egypt winning it in 2006 African Cup 2008 should solve the problem
Oh shit, that was a bad typo. I edited it ... I meant we needed to qualify to World Cup 2010 in South Africa, and defend our title in Ghana.

Last edited by Faяouk; 08-04-2007 at 13:47. Reason: Fucked up the quote
Old 08-04-2007, 14:11   #15
GreatKalu
I still believe!

Quote:
Thanks to Hassan we won 4-0 Hazem Emam, my Idol was at his top that time ... was still young and full of youth, ever heard of him?
You really had to remind me of the score now, did you? I'm sure I have ... post a link about him
Old 08-04-2007, 14:43   #16
Faяouk
Banned

Quote:
I'm sure I have ... post a link about him
Hazem Emam is one of the most talented Egyptian footballers in history. He started his career in shooting club youth, then he went to El Zamalek, the clube of his father and grand father. He used to enter as a sub in his first couple of seasons. When he reached 20 Ruud Kroll took him to the African Nations Cup 1996, Hazem excelled in the tournament and got snapped by Udinese. Two days later Sir Alex Ferguson called his father to ask for his service [only if he had waited two fucking days, he would have been a United star] After joining Udinese they called him 'Zico of the Pyramids'
Nice article about him in Italian [I want a translating program or website ... help??] Zacherionni refused to play him in his regular position, the playmaker ... behind the two strikers, and decided to play him upfront. At that time Bierhoff/Amoruso were having two rocking seasons, in which Udinese finished 5th and 3rd. Emam decided to move ... he went to Di Graphshap in Holland on loan and had an amazing season; Ajax wanted his service but Udinese refused ... in January 2001 he returned to his home, Zamalek.

His wikipedia

Winning the Pepsi World Challenge in 2001

A video of his skills

I have the Pepsi World Challenge video on my PC, I'll upload it soon and post it here along with his pictures.
Old 08-04-2007, 16:34   #17
Passion for *9*
AC Milan Icon

Quote:
Hazem Emam is one of the most talented Egyptian footballers in history.
Oh no... not again Ferguson called him up + a couple days later he found himself on the bench of a not so famous Dutch club.

Spare us hyping up this fucking no-name again + again.

Signature

Old 08-04-2007, 17:11   #18
Faяouk
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passion for *9*
Oh no... not again Ferguson called him up + a couple days later he found himself on the bench of a not so famous Dutch club.

Spare us hyping up this fucking no-name again + again.
I'm just stating the whole truth on one of Egypt's best players But it isn't all his fault that he didn't make it in Europe, but it's rather our mentality and the way players get raised here which makes 90% of Egyptian players who go to Europe return again to Egypt after a little period. Only who broke this rule were: Mido who is struggling to become a star like Drogba or Ibrahimovic who he played with, Ahmed Hassan who also didn't become a famous star, Zidan who is struggling to get a Werder Bremen chance, and others who play in mid table teams in turkey.
Old 08-04-2007, 20:39   #19
Passion for *9*
AC Milan Icon

Quote:
Oh, aren't you grateful I posted this link like centuries ago ?

Really, don't test my patience. There's an Emam thread, started by you, where you can dump your love declarations for this dud.

Signature

Old 08-04-2007, 20:54   #20
Passion for *9*
AC Milan Icon

According to Abidjan.net Africa Sport, currently second in the Ivorian 1st division, are in the process of striking up a partnership with Inter who will help build a youth academy.

Inter are really about to make it a habit to always be a step ahead of us

Signature