The Red & Black Forums | An AC Milan Community The Red & Black Forums | An AC Milan Community The Red & Black Forums | An AC Milan Community

Go Back   The Red & Black Forums > Other > Off Topic

Off Topic You can talk here about everything that doesn't fit in the rest of the forums (movies, music, games etc.)

Old 01-06-2007, 15:36   #81
Faяouk
Banned

Fav. Players: Filippo Inzaghi, C Ronaldo, Kaka, Joe Cole, Totti, Recoba, Rui Costa, Pirlo, Gattuso, Maldini, Nesta

I'm OK - You're OK
Faяouk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 16:26   #82
crazymilangirl
Busy, Busy, Busy

Fav. Players: Maldini, Kaka, Gourcuff, Gattuso, Pirlo, Nesta, Seedorf and Superpippo!!!!

^^ im ok - you're ok ? whos the author? sounds kinda interesting...lol

i think i might finish "the zahir" tonight, its 342 pages and im currently on page 250 ..
ill order "11 minuts" and "Veronika decideds to die" tomorrow

" I went to a train station today and leraned that the distance betwene railway tracks is always 143.5 centimetres. Why this absurd measurement? why exactly 143.5 centimetres and not 150 ?
I asked my girlfriend to find out and this is what she discovered:
when they built the first train carriages, they used the same tools as they had for biudling horse-drawn carriages. And why that distance betwene the wheels of the carriages? Because that was the width of the old roads along which the carriages had to travel. And who decided that roads should be that width? Well suddenly, we are plunged back into the distant past. It was the romans, the first great roadbuilders, who decided to make their roads that width. And why? because their war chariots were pulled by two horses, and when places side by side, the horses they used at that time took up 143.5 centimeters.
So they distance bewteen the tracks i saw today, used by our state-of-art high-speed trains, was determined by the romans! When people went to the united states and started building railways there, it didnt occur to them to change the width and it stayed that way.
Since the topic today is marriage, you might wonder what railway tracks has to do with marriage?"

from the zahir by paulo coelho

its amazing how he connects railway tracks to marriage a good book really

Signature
With a courage that was more than human he managed to leave a message for the entire world: "Do not submit to exploitation, of any kind; maintain a tenacious grip on veracity; better die with honour than live in shame".
crazymilangirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 16:46   #83
kats
Senior Team Member

Just started "Perfume: The Story of a Murderer" by Patrick Suskind. So far, so good.
kats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 00:07   #84
vani_pirlo_21
AC Milan Legend

Fav. Players: All Milan, all River Plate, Aimar, Saviola, Montenegro, Lugano,

uuu... that's a great book (Perfume)... I read for my school last semester
it's really interesting how things, people and places are describe with odors... it's also interesting how the secondary characters are presented and then how they're taken out of the story

Signature

Thanks Hanna!
vani_pirlo_21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 00:12   #85
thismisery
soul of the world

Fav. Players: Kaka, Maldini, Nesta, Gattuso, Pirlo, Gourcuff, Giggs, C. Ronaldo, Vidic

that book is gross i heard.

never interested me that much...

i started with wuthering heights by emily bronte 2 days ago.

Signature

Believing costs nothing.
thismisery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 00:33   #86
kats
Senior Team Member

^^^Cool. I like gross things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vani_pirlo_21
it's really interesting how things, people and places are describe with odors...
That's exactly what made me want to read the book, vani_pirlo. I'm glad you liked it, and I'm glad there are other aspects that make the book unique. Something to do this weekend while watching Euro and pretending to work.
kats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 11:08   #87
SouthClaw
Master of Hadou

Fav. Players: Maldini, Nesta, Pirlo, Pato, T. Silva, Ambrosini, Inzaghi

Power and Prospects by Noam Chomsky
SouthClaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 12:14   #88
Faяouk
Banned

Fav. Players: Filippo Inzaghi, C Ronaldo, Kaka, Joe Cole, Totti, Recoba, Rui Costa, Pirlo, Gattuso, Maldini, Nesta

For those who asked, "I'm OK - You're OK" isn't a novel. As many may know, I'm not much of a book reader & I don't like reading. But, two days ago I discovered this book which I rate as "the best ever".

It's exactly what I've been needing, for me it's a must read for EVERYBODY, especially teenagers.

It's a book about psychology, on how to gain control of yourself, your relations, and your future -no matter what has happened in the past.

It's the true facts about everything related about human beings, and it really helps A LOT.

I may right a bit of things about it when I finish it, not sure.
Faяouk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 12:18   #89
thismisery
soul of the world

Fav. Players: Kaka, Maldini, Nesta, Gattuso, Pirlo, Gourcuff, Giggs, C. Ronaldo, Vidic

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazymilangirl
^^ im ok - you're ok ? whos the author? sounds kinda interesting...lol

i think i might finish "the zahir" tonight, its 342 pages and im currently on page 250 ..
ill order "11 minuts" and "Veronika decideds to die" tomorrow

its amazing how he connects railway tracks to marriage a good book really
Paulo Coelho, I dont know what to think fo him.

I read Veronika decides to die in German, and I liked it.
The beginning may be a bit dull, but I think the book really helped me, kinda in life. It's about finding your delight for life again, after losing it. Coming out of your dull life, and "doing" things, you want. It's really good I think.

I read 11 Minutes too, 1 year ago, in English. It's astonishing how he relates the topic prostitution to philosophy. I really liked it too.

Do you think I should try the Zahir too?

Signature

Believing costs nothing.
Old 02-06-2007, 15:49   #90
crazymilangirl
Busy, Busy, Busy

Fav. Players: Maldini, Kaka, Gourcuff, Gattuso, Pirlo, Nesta, Seedorf and Superpippo!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thismisery
Paulo Coelho, I dont know what to think fo him.

I read Veronika decides to die in German, and I liked it.
The beginning may be a bit dull, but I think the book really helped me, kinda in life. It's about finding your delight for life again, after losing it. Coming out of your dull life, and "doing" things, you want. It's really good I think.

I read 11 Minutes too, 1 year ago, in English. It's astonishing how he relates the topic prostitution to philosophy. I really liked it too.

Do you think I should try the Zahir too?
Damn, you've read all the books i want to read.

Well mate, i LOVE paulo coelho and his books..they are all awesome and has like a message behind the stories he tells. I think his books can help whoever is open minded and understands the messages..lol

well i think you should read the zahir, it is 300+ pages but imo its worth it. Its actually 3 or 4 stories connected to one big story which is a man looking for his wife...doesnt know is she is kidnapped, if she left him after 10 years of marriage or if he has been ignorant and didnt listen when she told him she'd leave..or if she is dead since she was a war correspondent..

read it, but i dont know what other poeple would think of it, especially since you dont know what to think of paulo coelho..give it a chance though

have you read the alchemist? it comes after "a pilgrimage" (i think) and in "the zahir" he keeps mentioning his other books..the main character in "the zahir" is actually himself..he says a writer can only write about his own life..so just a warning: the alchemist, the pilgrimage and his other books are mentioned in "the zahir" but overall..its a good book and i cant remember last time i read a book i liked this much

farouk: fanx mate, i was the only one wondering LOL sounded like a teenage book...i never liked those but if i ever see it, i might give it a chancec

Signature
With a courage that was more than human he managed to leave a message for the entire world: "Do not submit to exploitation, of any kind; maintain a tenacious grip on veracity; better die with honour than live in shame".
Old 02-06-2007, 15:54   #91
thismisery
soul of the world

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazymilangirl
Damn, you've read all the books i want to read.

Well mate, i LOVE paulo coelho and his books..they are all awesome and has like a message behind the stories he tells. I think his books can help whoever is open minded and understands the messages..lol

well i think you should read the zahir, it is 300+ pages but imo its worth it. Its actually 3 or 4 stories connected to one big story which is a man looking for his wife...doesnt know is she is kidnapped, if she left him after 10 years of marriage or if he has been ignorant and didnt listen when she told him she'd leave..or if she is dead since she was a war correspondent..

read it, but i dont know what other poeple would think of it, especially since you dont know what to think of paulo coelho..give it a chance though

have you read the alchemist? it comes after "a pilgrimage" (i think) and in "the zahir" he keeps mentioning his other books..the main character in "the zahir" is actually himself..he says a writer can only write about his own life..so just a warning: the alchemist, the pilgrimage and his other books are mentioned in "the zahir" but overall..its a good book and i cant remember last time i read a book i liked this much

farouk: fanx mate, i was the only one wondering LOL sounded like a teenage book...i never liked those but if i ever see it, i might give it a chancec
well I think I do like his writing style, or at least the topics he covers.
Yeah in Veronika decides to die, he mentions himself in 2 short scenes, and I noticed, that this book is heavily autobiographied, what I mean is, he takes some of his life experiences and writes about it, for example, he was sent to a psycho clinic too, and all...

No I only read Veronica decides to die, and 11 Minutes from Coelho.

I like reading long books, so I think I'll get The Zahir and The Alchimist ^^

thanks for the recommendation.

//edit:
I read your other post about coelho in this thread, and
in veronica decides to die, it's the simple question "what is crazy? what does it mean?"

I dont remember the "question" in 11 minutes, but I thinki it was about "what is freedom" too.

Signature

Believing costs nothing.

Last edited by thismisery; 02-06-2007 at 15:56.
Old 02-06-2007, 18:20   #92
crazymilangirl
Busy, Busy, Busy

Quote:
Originally Posted by thismisery
//edit:
I read your other post about coelho in this thread, and
in veronica decides to die, it's the simple question "what is crazy? what does it mean?"

I dont remember the "question" in 11 minutes, but I thinki it was about "what is freedom" too.
great that you guna get them, mate

yea, i like these question that nobody really has an answer to, and he always takes on topics that concerns everyone on this earth...so like, you kinda make your own answers to these questions..

i like the "what is crazy" a kewl author really...

you know, i was reading this book in class and my norwegian teacher goes.."it looks like you really love to read, can you recommend any books for the whole class to read?"
and i went: "um..i dont really like to read but this book is rather interesting and abt recommending, i think ill wait 'till i finish this book"

LOL as if everyone in the class would "thank" me if i recommend "the zahir"...300+ pages,,,the people would freak out! especially the blondes xD
i dont mind the books length as long as its interesting...

OMG i swear "lies of silence" was sooo goddamn boring!

Signature
Old 03-06-2007, 11:54   #93
mocha N eco
Primavera Player

Fav. Players: Maldini, Nesta, Pirlo, Totti, Kaka, Essien, Gattuso, Zidane, De Rossi, Pippo, Drogba, Buffon, Cesc

Reading good old P.G.Wodehouse right now. 'French Leave'. A laugh riot as usual.
mocha N eco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2007, 02:36   #94
Sasha
The UNBANNABLE One

Fav. Players: Azzurri e Rossoneri

A Doll's House, by Henrik Ibsen... Gets pretty crazy at the end, what with the lady running away and all that... Otherwise an interesting short book...

Signature

MILAN
Sasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2007, 11:56   #95
Inzaghi9
=alta tensione=

Fav. Players: Inzaghi, Kaká, Pato

Umberto Eco-La nome della rosa (The name of the rose)...for 2nd time great book,but kinda difficult to read

Signature

THE VERY BEST
9 & 7
Inzaghi9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2007, 13:19   #96
crazymilangirl
Busy, Busy, Busy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilanoMike
A Doll's House, by Henrik Ibsen... Gets pretty crazy at the end, what with the lady running away and all that... Otherwise an interesting short book...
God, i cant remember how many times ive been forced to read this at school. We also once made a play where i had to play the wife LOL.

Anyway, that book is also pretty interesting and inspires people to think outside the box. Because at the time it was written & published as a play, it did create alot of "chaos". It was in the 1900s and women werent allowed to leave their house & kids behind etc. So some countries denied to set up the play or sell it unless Henrik Ibsen changed the end. At that time, Germany was one of the bigger "customers" so when they refused to set it up or sell it, Henrik Ibsens changed the end of it.

Guys, i already read 11 minuts and veronica decides to die. Ill have to admit, i was really disappointed when reading "Veronika decides to die"...It was the usual coelho book with all the ingredients thats supposed to make it good. But i think it was a complete different book from when it began and to the end. I saw the end coming so it wasnt shocking either. Id rate it 3 out of 5. But " 11minutes" is really good..he gets the love story and the girls' story right so id rate this one 4/5 just because i felt that it was a little too many details at the end. Sometimes too much gets disgusting if you know what i mean lol

Signature
Old 30-08-2007, 12:52   #97
Besfort
AC Milan Icon

As for me.. i read a lot of books , and i like it.
My favourite book is " His bright light " The life of Nick Traina , writed by Danielle Steel.
I also have readed Accident, The kiss and Five days in Paris, all from Danielle Steel.
As i read manny books , i also readed Da Vinci Code from Dan Brown , and some Albanian Books.

Signature

Last edited by Besfort; 30-08-2007 at 13:41.
Besfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2007, 13:57   #98
Maldini
Banned

Fav. Players: Paolo Maldini

Little Red Riding Hood.....its a freaking interesting book man, i totally reakon everyone should give it a go.
Maldini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 15:56   #99
Andromeda
^AC.Milan Girl^

Fav. Players: Paolo Maldini

i just read TEANDEI BABY vol.2
this one absolutely killing me.. i can't stop laughing

Signature
Life Goes On
Andromeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 04:54   #100
gaizka22
Apprentice father

Fav. Players: van Basten, Maldini, Zidane, Baresi, Maradona, Boban, Baggio, Matthaus, Costacurta

Just start reading "Dead Man Walking" yesterday. Loved the film and finally got my hands on the book. Found it on some second hand store.

Signature
If there’s a God, you must see Him in your heart
If there’s a soul, you must perceive it
Otherwise, it is better not to believe
It is better to be an outspoken atheist
Than to become a religious hypocrite
gaizka22 is offline   Reply With Quote