The Red & Black Forums | An AC Milan Community The Red & Black Forums | An AC Milan Community The Red & Black Forums | An AC Milan Community

Go Back   The Red & Black Forums > AC Milan > AC Milan History, Legends, Icons & Former Players

AC Milan History, Legends, Icons & Former Players Talk about the history of AC Milan or its legendary/ordinary former players.

Old 03-02-2006, 16:52   #1
Sidd
सिद्धर्थ Rossonero

Default AC Milan History

The history of the red-black stripes shirts is one of the less known by the fans. The man responsible for the look of the AC Milan shirt was Herbert Kilpin, one of the Englishman who established AC Milan. Kilpin inspired himself from the English sides shirts, who most of them had at that time a shirt with stripes and a badge with a cross on a background. That's why the Milan badge represents a red cross on a white background.

The twenty years fascist rule imposed Milan to wear a white shirt with two vertical stripes, one black and one red, running down in the center of it. In 1942 the club changed the shirt again, now numbering five vertical red and black stripes.

Kilpin' s original shirt reappeared in two occasions. In 1962 when it was worn with a black collar and in 1978 with a v-neck.

In 1981 Milan was the first team who printed their player names on the back of the shirts. In the same season the club introduced on the shirt a devil image on the right breast. Later on was first introduced a sponsor name on the shirt.

The goalkeeper shirt was usually black, to intimidate the "enemies", but in 1999 a yellow shirt was worn to remember about the winning of the tenth title.

In the centenarial year, 1999, the shirt of Kilpin was re-introduced, with the star on the chest (one star is awarded when the team wins its tenth title and so on) and on each part that covers the arms they stitched a centenarial badge. This shirt was availble only for only one year (16/12/1999 - 16/12/2000).

source-->http://www.acmilan-online.com/
i always wondered what the heck was an english flag doing in an italian club's flag ,now this makes sense
also thought if any1 had some old facts about milan's proud past could post it here
Sidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 19:07   #2
Adri
Senior Team Member

Fav. Players: Maldini, Boban, van Basten, Kaka, Sheva, Etxeberria,Guerrero

This is not the english flag on Milan's shirts, the red cross rappresents the crest of the city of Milano.
Adri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 19:42   #3
DugiNesta
the epic #3

Fav. Players: Nesta - Maldini - El Shaarawy - Kaka - Gattuso - Messi

AC Milan is an Italian football club. Based in Milan, Lombardy, they play in red-and-black stripes and black shorts ( the same as Bohemian F.C. ), giving them the nickname rossoneri ("red-blacks"). One of the most successful clubs in the World, they have won the prestigious European Cup 6 times (second only to Real Madrid), Serie A 17 times (only rivals Juventus have more Scudettos) and Coppa Italia five times. It is also one of the most supported football clubs in the world.

The club was founded in 1899 as the Milan Cricket and Football Club by Alfred Edwards and Herbert Kilpin, British expatriates. In honour of its origins, the club has retained the English spelling of its city's name, instead of changing it to the Italian Milano; it should be noted that the current Italian pronunciation is actually MEE-lahn.

The team's current stadium is the 85,700 seater Giuseppe Meazza, also known as the San Siro. The stadium is shared with Internazionale (also known as "Inter"), the other major football club in Milan. AC Milan supporters use "San Siro" to refer to the stadium because Meazza was a star player for Inter.

Historically, AC Milan (usually referred to as "Mělan" in Italy) was supported by the city's working classes and trade unionists, while Inter was mainly supported by the more prosperous. However, in recent years, the clubs have seen a significant reversal in supporter bases, since Milan is now owned by media magnate and current conservative Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi, while Inter is now owned by a centre-left oil businessman, Massimo Moratti.

Perhaps AC Milan's greatest period of success was in the late 1980s and early 1990s, triumphing in the European Champions League in 1989, 1990 and 1994 as well as a brace of domestic league titles and various other prizes. During this time, the rossoneri came to be known as 'Gli Invicibili' the Invincibles - as proven by an unprecedented 58 match run with no defeats; their 1992 Scudetto triumph came without a single defeat - to this day a feat which has not been repeated. The Invincibili team had the likes of Franco Baresi and Paolo Maldini commanding possibly one of the best defences in history alongside the Dutch trio of Ruud Gullit, Frank Rijkaard and Marco Van Basten rounding out the attack. AC Milan was crowned European champions in 1969 when Cesare Maldini, current skipper, Paolo's father was in the side. More recently, AC Milan have attempted to recapture their glory days with two domestic titles in 1999 and 2004 and a sixth Champions League trophy in 2003. In 2005, AC Milan let a 3-0 lead in their Champions League Final slip to a 3-3 draw before losing on penalties against FC Liverpool of England. This was the first time that AC Milan had lost in a European Final while playing in their away strip (all-white).

On 19 December 2005, Milan Vice-President/CEO, Adriano Galliani announced that the team is seriously working to move out from San Siro. He said that Milan's new stadium will be largely based on Schalke Arena and following the standards of football stadia in America, Germany, and Spain. Most likely it will be a stadium for football purpose only (without the athletic tracks). The new stadium's name will be given to the sponsors.

from wikipedia

Signature
DugiNesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 20:56   #4
Sidd
सिद्धर्थ Rossonero

how did Inter pop-up in Milan,when AcMilan were going so strong?
Sidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 21:11   #5
Yuchen Li
58 unbeaten !

Fav. Players: Maldini, Kaladze, Materazzi, Abbiati, Pirlo, Gattuso, Ambrosini, Kaka, Inzaghi, Gilardino

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidd@acmilan
how did Inter pop-up in Milan,when AcMilan were going so strong?
I think Milan going to strong is maybe at 1950-1960, at that time, there are 3 Sweden players, they are very storng. One of them is a great strikers !!!! But in fact, his job is a fire-fighter !!!!!

Signature

people laugh and people cry

some give up and some always try

some say "Hi" and some say "Bye"

others may forget you but never I

http://www.geocities.com/lyc_fish/loveandkiss.html
Yuchen Li is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 21:26   #6
Adri
Senior Team Member

Fav. Players: Maldini, Boban, van Basten, Kaka, Sheva, Etxeberria,Guerrero

The article from Wikipedia is wrong! The loss against Liverpool wasn't the first loss with the all white strip: in the 1993 CL final Milan lost against Ajax (0-1, Kluivert) while playing in the all white strip!
Adri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 21:49   #7
ambro_forever
амбросини

Fav. Players: ambrosini maldini sheva kala billy albertini leonardo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adri
in the 1993 CL final Milan lost against Ajax (0-1, Kluivert) while playing in the all white strip!

Signature

FOREVER

ambro_forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 21:52   #8
Yuchen Li
58 unbeaten !

Fav. Players: Maldini, Kaladze, Materazzi, Abbiati, Pirlo, Gattuso, Ambrosini, Kaka, Inzaghi, Gilardino

Quote:
Originally Posted by veljo
He makes a mistake, that is in 1995. In 1993, Milan lost a French club. But at the end of that year, because the French club cheat so they had to go to Serie B. By the way, i want to know who makes Basten injured in 1993 , does the defender is Bolly ????

Signature

Old 09-02-2006, 02:44   #9
gaizka22
Apprentice father

Fav. Players: van Basten, Maldini, Zidane, Baresi, Maradona, Boban, Baggio, Matthaus, Costacurta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuchen Li
He makes a mistake, that is in 1995. In 1993, Milan lost a French club. But at the end of that year, because the French club cheat so they had to go to Serie B. By the way, i want to know who makes Basten injured in 1993 , does the defender is Bolly ????
Yeah, that was Olympique Marseille. As for Basile Boli, true he was hard on MvBasten on that final (He also scored the winning goal. As a Milan fans, you can't help but really hate him on this game). A particularly rough tackle from behind sent MvB to the ground clutching his ankle in agony. In today's standard it would've been a straight red, but he only received a yellow. He also blocked MvB's volley effort, but unfortulately the stud also caught MvB's ankle who went down, massaging his ankle and at the same time shooting a worried look towards the bench.

MvB just got back from a 3-4 month injury but Capello wanted him to play that night, which was normal considering he was the FIFA Player of the Year. But in a sensible point of view, I think it would be better if JP Papin was fielded. He was fresher and had a decent season.

But Basile Boli wasn't the only brute that caused early retirement. There were others (most notably Vierchowod and Jurgen Kohler) that gave him worse treatment during his Serie A days.

Signature
If there’s a God, you must see Him in your heart
If there’s a soul, you must perceive it
Otherwise, it is better not to believe
It is better to be an outspoken atheist
Than to become a religious hypocrite
gaizka22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 03:48   #10
Yuchen Li
58 unbeaten !

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaizka22
Yeah, that was Olympique Marseille. As for Basile Boli, true he was hard on MvBasten on that final (He also scored the winning goal. As a Milan fans, you can't help but really hate him on this game). A particularly rough tackle from behind sent MvB to the ground clutching his ankle in agony. In today's standard it would've been a straight red, but he only received a yellow. He also blocked MvB's volley effort, but unfortulately the stud also caught MvB's ankle who went down, massaging his ankle and at the same time shooting a worried look towards the bench.

MvB just got back from a 3-4 month injury but Capello wanted him to play that night, which was normal considering he was the FIFA Player of the Year. But in a sensible point of view, I think it would be better if JP Papin was fielded. He was fresher and had a decent season.

But Basile Boli wasn't the only brute that caused early retirement. There were others (most notably Vierchowod and Jurgen Kohler) that gave him worse treatment during his Serie A days.
Thank you. We cannot only blame Boli because other defenders injure Basten and it accomulate so at finally, Basten has to retired when he was very young.

I don't think Boli is very good. I think at that time, the most important defender in Olympique Marseille is Desilly, and we get him in the next season. He also scored 4th goal when Milan 4-0 Barcerona, did you remember that goal, very curve, a good banana ball !

But i am very strange in 1998, Desilly is very good and why Milan sell him ??? Milan sell some important defenders, for example, Milan sell Sala. Why Milan sell Sala ??? Do you know Sala, his number is 24, he is one of the member that help Milan win the 1999 Serie A.

Signature

Old 09-02-2006, 04:19   #11
gaizka22
Apprentice father

Fav. Players: van Basten, Maldini, Zidane, Baresi, Maradona, Boban, Baggio, Matthaus, Costacurta

Quote:
I don't think Boli is very good. I think at that time, the most important defender in Olympique Marseille is Desilly, and we get him in the next season. He also scored 4th goal when Milan 4-0 Barcerona, did you remember that goal, very curve, a good banana ball !
Whether Boli was good or not is debatable but OM that year was very good (Deschamp, Abedi Pele, Voeller, Barthez, Sauzee). And Desailly didn't even play in that final and he is not a defender, he played in midfield alongside Albertini. And of course any self-respecting Milan fans must know his goal in CL 94 that made me jumping up and down.

Quote:
But i am very strange in 1998, Desilly is very good and why Milan sell him ??? Milan sell some important defenders, for example, Milan sell Sala. Why Milan sell Sala ??? Do you know Sala, his number is 24, he is one of the member that help Milan win the 1999 Serie A.
Because he was getting old. If you notice in Milan (and French national team) he played in midfield but after moving to Chelsea he played as a center back along with his countryman Frank Lebouf. He continued to play in this position in French national team. And it is very normal if anybody who were in Milan in season 96/97 and 97/98 would want to leave Milan since the club was sinking.

Luigi Sala as important defenders? You've got to be kidding me. Did you actually watch him play? That's like saying Coloccini and Roque Junior are good defenders. Sala is a mediocre defender at best. Yes he was in the team that won the 99 scudetto but he looked decent defending the right side because he had Thomas Helveg covering him.

Signature
Old 09-02-2006, 06:38   #12
Beemer
AC Milan Icon

Wikipedia isn't entirely accurate, since readers are allowed to edit articles.

Signature
Beemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2006, 17:00   #13
Yuchen Li
58 unbeaten !

Quote:

Because he was getting old. If you notice in Milan (and French national team) he played in midfield but after moving to Chelsea he played as a center back along with his countryman Frank Lebouf. He continued to play in this position in French national team. And it is very normal if anybody who were in Milan in season 96/97 and 97/98 would want to leave Milan since the club was sinking..
But in 1999, Desalliy was 30 years old, as a DM or CB, he is not so old. He can continue to play maybe 3 years and has good condition in these 3 years. I don't think Desailly wants to leave Milan, he doesn't care money and the champion ( because he had been got Serie A and CL in Milan ). Maybe this is because Milan didn't think he can play as the CB !

L
Quote:
luigi Sala as important defenders? You've got to be kidding me. Did you actually watch him play? That's like saying Coloccini and Roque Junior are good defenders. Sala is a mediocre defender at best. Yes he was in the team that won the 99 scudetto but he looked decent defending the right side because he had Thomas Helveg covering him.
I had watch some Milan's games in that time. I feel Sala is good at heading, and his teamwork is very excellent. I think Milan sell him because Milan get Laursen, but in fact, if Sala can still in Milan, maybe he will become a famous defender !!!

Ok, we stop talking about Desailly and Sala. In my opinion, defense is very important in Italian Serie A. This is why Juventus can get a lot of champion in these 8 years. I feel after 1999, Milan didn't have good central defenders until Nesta come, do you think so ???

Signature

Old 20-02-2006, 06:24   #14
jamzer
Rookie

Default History of logo

May i know story about milan logo?
why oval, use a cross, or etc?
thx
jamzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2006, 10:33   #15
MaGasTeR
Pride of Yorkshire

Fav. Players: Pippo, Kewell, Kaka, A. Smith, Nesta, Bowyer, Rino, Viduka, Sheva, Rob. Keane, Gila, Harte, Maldini

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamzer
May i know story about milan logo?
why oval, use a cross, or etc?
thx
i don't know why is it oval, but the cross on the badge is the cross of Saint George (the same on England's flag) because the found of the club (Alfred Edwards) was english. Red and black stripes, the club colours, ACM initials, 1899 year of foundation.

Signature
After all that you really do have to ask yourself if it was all worth it... course it fucking was!
MaGasTeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2007, 15:06   #16
crazy4milan
Exotic Stevie G

Fav. Players: Maldini,Weah,Nesta,Dida
Default Milan's History Thread

"The AC Milan football club was estabilished on the 16th of December 1899, its parents being three Englishman, Kilpin, Allison and Davies. They came to the idea when they were at a pint of beer, and they proposed it to two bussinesmen, Edwards and Nathan, and to another person, Mr. Barnett. Edwards was to become the first club president ever of the new Milan Cricket and Football Club.

The club aimed to play cricket as much as they could and to promote the game of football, not so popular in those times. In the first board of directors was also Pierro Pirelli, one of the future presidents of the club and also one of its most important historical figures. The establishment of the club spread into the city and Milan started to gain more and more supporters.

The new club registered with the IFF (Italian Football Federation) and, to take part in the championship, they needed a pitch for the home matches. The site was found: the place of today's central station, Trotter. There was an open countryside field at that time there.

The opening match was played against another team from Milan named Mediolanum. The game was played on the 11th of March 1900 and Milan started its history with a great 3-0 win. The first team who played for AC Milan was: Hoode, Cignaghi, Torretta, Lees, Kilpin, Valerio, Dubini, Davies, Neville, Allison, Formenti. You can see here that three of them were the club establishers , Kilpin, Allison and Davies. Although the 3-0 win was a good score for their morale, the Devils first official match, who was played on 15 April 1900 against FC Torino, was lost with 3-0.

The first captain in AC Milan's history was Herbert Kilpin, one of the founders and through the club's best players. In the early Milan days you needed to be a member of the club. The fees were 20 lira and 12 lira for the students. The punishment for the players who had forgotten to pay was the interdiction to train. The first title for AC Milan was won in their second year of activity, 1901
."

Today is an appropriate date to start this thread, as not only we have become the most successful club in the world, but also it's our 108 birthday.

Remember the first time you saw Milan? The moment you knew they were the team you love? The first time you went to San Siro? That game that will always be in your heart? Those dark days in which we went to Serie B, navigated in the 10/11 spot of the Serie A table, didn't show a sign of improvement earky this millenium (and if you are really old, those 40 years without Lo Scudetto)? Remember the Gre-No-Li, the Dutch Trio and the Ka-Ro-Oli ()?Don't remember them or you didn't lived them but you just wanna talk about them (+ other anecdotes + interesting facts about Milan)...then this is the special thread dedicated to AC Milan's history.

Keep in mind that there's a thread for the ex-Milan players .

Two special videos:

And this link: http://youtube.com/watch?v=t2gVBehaDtA&feature=related

Last edited by crazy4milan; 16-12-2007 at 19:23.
crazy4milan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2007, 16:16   #17
Armin__m
AC Milan Legend

Fav. Players: >>rossoneri<<

nice thread..
the 2nd video isn`t working for me..
Armin__m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2007, 12:51   #18
gaizka22
Apprentice father

One curious note about the 89 Champions Cup Final vs Steaua Bucharest at the Nou Camp. Aside from the 4-0 trashing, the game was also remembered for the mass exodus of Milan fans when 90,000 fans decended to Barcelona, using boat, train, cars and planes.

In that game there were less than 300 Steaua fans attending the match because the then-Communist government was afraid that many will try to deflect to the free world.

Another factor that led to the stadium being totally red (see highlights of the game, especially MvBasten's celebrating the 4th goal by running around the touchoine and you understand what I mean) was because Barcelona people (people from the host city usually received certain allocation) were more than happy to give their tickets to Milan fans who demolished their lifetime rival Real Madrid in the semis. Their main newspaper had this headline after Milan trashed Madrid: "They will not desecrate our ground".

Imagine being one of 300 Steaua fans there. You're surrounded by 90,000 fans from the opposing team and you had to ensure watching your team soundly and totally beaten

Signature
Old 18-12-2007, 00:36   #19
acerвιc wιт
Milano Siamo Noi!

Fav. Players: Paolo Maldini, Thiago Silva, Serginho, Kaká, Gennaro Gattuso, Kevin Prince Boateng & Filippo Inzaghi

^Appreciate the insight. I've seen footage of that unbelievable spectacle. It's something that we will never witness again in the UCL.

Signature

"You cannot buy football, you construct it." - Arrigo Sacchi.
acerвιc wιт is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2007, 00:38   #20
acerвιc wιт
Milano Siamo Noi!

Fav. Players: Paolo Maldini, Thiago Silva, Serginho, Kaká, Gennaro Gattuso, Kevin Prince Boateng & Filippo Inzaghi

What happened to the cricket side of the club. You would've bet that Cricket would've atleast been known to Italians, ha!

Signature

"You cannot buy football, you construct it." - Arrigo Sacchi.
acerвιc wιт is offline   Reply With Quote