The Red & Black Forums | An AC Milan Community The Red & Black Forums | An AC Milan Community The Red & Black Forums | An AC Milan Community

Go Back   The Red & Black Forums > Other > Off Topic

Off Topic You can talk here about everything that doesn't fit in the rest of the forums (movies, music, games etc.)

Old 10-08-2018, 08:13   #3661
Alec
Football Idiot Savant

Fav. Players: Paul Pierce, Aimar, Nesta, Pirlo, Gattuso, Kaká, Romagnoli, VAR, Ghengis Khan

I realized the next UFC event has the Gaethje fight but then I looked at the rest of the card and went kind of flaccid.

Guess we might see the last Michael Johnson fight in there if he loses and there's Warley but that card really is paper thin, even for a fight night.

Signature
100% muscle - 0% intelligence
Alec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 22:03   #3662
Milaniscool
Face that runs the place

Fav. Players: Balotelli, Romagnoli, Robben

I'm finally starting muay thai. Next it's straight to the UFC. You read it here first.
Milaniscool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 23:11   #3663
drobeck
Senior Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milaniscool View Post
I'm finally starting muay thai. Next it's straight to the UFC. You read it here first.

Awesome bro good luck to you.

I am seriously considering joining an Mma gym. At 27 years of age with no fighting experience, even regular fist fights or street fights, am a bit scared. What do you guys think. Am in decent shape other than scrawny legs lol.

Is there a way to spar with professionals and get knocked around without seriously getting hurt?
drobeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 23:24   #3664
Mexes5
AC Milan Legend

Fav. Players: Nesta, Seedorf, Gattuso, Kaka, Inzaghi, Shevchenko, Mexes, Pato, Pazzini

Just go and leave your ego at the door, you're there to learn and train not knock someone's head off. Go as a hobby and enjoy it first and foremost I think.

I live in Las Vegas and they have great MMA gyms here, Syndicate & Xtreme Couture which I went to for a few months, shit is way too expensive though.
Mexes5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 23:32   #3665
Mexes5
AC Milan Legend

Fav. Players: Nesta, Seedorf, Gattuso, Kaka, Inzaghi, Shevchenko, Mexes, Pato, Pazzini

Three WMMA on the card for Til-Woodley, think I'll give that one a hard pass.

Saying that they could be more entertaining than that fight
Mexes5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 23:38   #3666
drobeck
Senior Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mexes5 View Post
Just go and leave your ego at the door, you're there to learn and train not knock someone's head off. Go as a hobby and enjoy it first and foremost I think.

I live in Las Vegas and they have great MMA gyms here, Syndicate & Xtreme Couture which I went to for a few months, shit is way too expensive though.
Believe me I won't have any ego lol. how much was it per month? I've got this gym i heard good things about. costs i think 100 per month or so. I live in the Columbus Ohio.
Old 11-08-2018, 01:01   #3667
Soldier_of_god
AC Milan Icon

Fav. Players: cr7, Kaka, sheva, zidane, pastore , zlatan ibra,T.silva, jovetic, Arjen robben, drogba, suarez

Quote:
Originally Posted by drobeck View Post

I am seriously considering joining an Mma gym. At 27 years of age with no fighting experience, even regular fist fights or street fights, am a bit scared. What do you guys think. Am in decent shape other than scrawny legs lol.

Is there a way to spar with professionals and get knocked around without seriously getting hurt?
first do alot of strength and conditioning. I mean alot. then train to get hit first imo. Train to get hit in torso, quads, calves etc. Work on strengthening tour neck and shoulders. Learn some basic techniques simultaneously ofcourse but learn how to take a shot first before you jump into serious mma training for specific techniques.
Soldier_of_god is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 03:26   #3668
drobeck
Senior Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_Jacare View Post
first do alot of strength and conditioning. I mean alot. then train to get hit first imo. Train to get hit in torso, quads, calves etc. Work on strengthening tour neck and shoulders. Learn some basic techniques simultaneously ofcourse but learn how to take a shot first before you jump into serious mma training for specific techniques.
Thanks will try to do this
Old 11-08-2018, 06:38   #3669
Alec
Football Idiot Savant

Fav. Players: Paul Pierce, Aimar, Nesta, Pirlo, Gattuso, Kaká, Romagnoli, VAR, Ghengis Khan

Quote:
Get the Ibuprofen ready.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drobeck View Post

Just do it, won't hurt you. I crossed over into fighting late too from football&basketball due to injuries and it was easily the best decision I made and I leapfrogged a lot of people in terms of ability simply due to consistency and dedication. Anyone can do that.

In any decent gym they won't put you to spar with professionals, don't worry. Just go to trainings regularly and you'll adapt quickly. If you have someone reliable that's not a bitch to be a training partner, that can help too. My biggest asset is having a friend that always trains so I feel the need to train too always

Definitely work on those legs, all your power gets generated from the hips and legs for fighting. Try to squat as often as your recovery lets you - that can be every day for some, twice a week for others. Definitely recommend jumping rope too for conditioning.

I have a boxing centric perspective but it should do well enough in MMA/MT/Kick boxing or anything else fight related.

Signature
Old 11-08-2018, 16:31   #3670
Milaniscool
Face that runs the place

Lol I'm ready for the pain. At least I hope. I found a gym in Philadelphia I hear good things about, so I think it's time to start. I been weight training all year putting on some muscle. We got a pretty good judo gym where I live in Delaware, but I wanted to start with striking first.
Old 11-08-2018, 17:44   #3671
Soldier_of_god
AC Milan Icon

Fav. Players: cr7, Kaka, sheva, zidane, pastore , zlatan ibra,T.silva, jovetic, Arjen robben, drogba, suarez

Quote:
Lol I'm ready for the pain. At least I hope. I found a gym in Philadelphia I hear good things about, so I think it's time to start. I been weight training all year putting on some muscle. We got a pretty good judo gym where I live in Delaware, but I wanted to start with striking first.
focus on strength and functional training. As your lifts improve, your muscle tissues will start to build simultaneously. You want to maintain speed and endurance whilst increasing in size and muscle mass.
I definitely learnt that Big muscles means literally f all lol through training. I love sparring with bodybuilding bros. They have literally nonexistent stamina and no real functional strength. I ragdoll them from pillar to post.
I mainly do karate and wrestling. I love wrestling. It's the best foundation for mma imo. Builds power and cardio and allows you to adapt to the rigours of mma training much quicker.
Old 11-08-2018, 17:51   #3672
Alec
Football Idiot Savant

Wrestling also builds a sick neck, I'm looking into getting into it soon because while I enjoy boxing, MMA simply looks very fun and I can't rely on striking only. I feel like boxing and wrestling is a great combination, it appears to work very fluidly together in terms of transitioning from one to the other during a fight.

Also agree on bodybuilding dudes - not only do they usually not train for cardio, but they're often times very tense when striking which only makes them exhaust themselves even quicker.

Signature
Old 11-08-2018, 18:00   #3673
Milaniscool
Face that runs the place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_Jacare View Post
focus on strength and functional training. As your lifts improve, your muscle tissues will start to build simultaneously. You want to maintain speed and endurance whilst increasing in size and muscle mass.
I definitely learnt that Big muscles means literally f all lol through training. I love sparring with bodybuilding bros. They have literally nonexistent stamina and no real functional strength. I ragdoll them from pillar to post.
I mainly do karate and wrestling. I love wrestling. It's the best foundation for mma imo. Builds power and cardio and allows you to adapt to the rigours of mma training much quicker.
Lol thanks for the advice. I was training to get big at first. Once I decided to do muay thai I figured a bulky body wouldn't really work.
Old 11-08-2018, 18:13   #3674
Soldier_of_god
AC Milan Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alec View Post
Wrestling also builds a sick neck, I'm looking into getting into it soon because while I enjoy boxing, MMA simply looks very fun and I can't rely on striking only. I feel like boxing and wrestling is a great combination, it appears to work very fluidly together in terms of transitioning from one to the other during a fight.

Also agree on bodybuilding dudes - not only do they usually not train for cardio, but they're often times very tense when striking which only makes them exhaust themselves even quicker.
I used to do powerlifting before. I feel that helped me alot. I almost often have a strength advantage and I can take shots better. I do feel though that I need to improve my cardio even further. need to find that right balance.

agreed regarding boxing and wrestling combo. love jds fights lol. he has boxing and elite take down defense. prime jds was a beast. Not sure how good his bjj is but man I remember that spinning hook kick he threw versus hunt. I lost my mind. that was insane.

Last edited by Soldier_of_god; 09-09-2018 at 23:21.
Old 11-08-2018, 18:33   #3675
Alec
Football Idiot Savant

Before starting to box, I've done just a little bit of lifting - mostly bro splits and I've been doing a bunch of explosive work for my vertical while playing basketball. Cardio has improved a lot due to boxing.

Now I focus working on legs and my core in the weight room and it has paid dividends so far. My combinations are crisper, faster and more economical. I'm trying to build a legitimate and functioning heavyweight physique over the course of the next 3-5 years. Not to compete, just for fun.

Yeah, JDS is a beast, hope he can catch some type of form now and maybe recapture a bit of his old glory.

Quote:
Lol thanks for the advice. I was training to get big at first. Once I decided to do muay thai I figured a bulky body wouldn't really work.
A bulky body isn't a no go but you'd tire much more easily. Also if the weight slows you down considerably then it's obviously bad too.

Signature

Last edited by Alec; 11-08-2018 at 18:38.
Old 26-08-2018, 06:08   #3676
Alec
Football Idiot Savant

James Vick got humbled hard.

Gaethje delivering entertainment, like he always does. Love that guy, what a god.

Signature
Old 26-08-2018, 09:39   #3677
Az.
Se7en

Fav. Players: Maldini,Shevchenko, Rui Costa, Gattuso, Pippo, Nesta, Ambrosini,Seedorf, Billy,Kaka,Beckham,Zlatan

Gaethje is one violent mother fucker. Punched Vick into another dimension.

Signature

Last edited by Az.; 27-08-2018 at 09:30.
Az. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2018, 13:42   #3678
Curupira
AC Milan Icon

My advice for those wanting to start.

Look at it as a video game and you are playing with your body, just learn to play the game better before having any other expectations. Learn how to use your body first

Signature
Curupira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2018, 13:48   #3679
Sage
Phase 2

gaethje is such a fucking monster, he was winning both fights against alvarez and poirier before his chin gave out.

but IMO the guy is a lovable moron, he gives us the most exciting fights and we love him for it, but he also could easily be undefeated, and potentially a champion if he fought like a pro's pro (GSP)
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2018, 21:53   #3680
Alec
Football Idiot Savant

Gaethje is just super authentic and his style is exciting. He knows it's not optimal to constantly pressure because it'll get you hit, but damn it's entertaining and when it really works out, it's absolutely beautiful.

Hope those cheap fucks at the UFC give him a good contract now. Fight bonuses don't really cover the sacrifice he brings for the fans at this point anymore imo.

Signature