Milan v Tottenham: English Commentators

aztattooedsean

Primavera
Reaction score
It's not just the English commentators. Everyone is hyping the Premier League and it's teams. The reasons for that isn't stupidity or something, it's availability and marketing.

English is the unofficial language of the world at the moment. With it, the english speaking world's culture is the unofficial culture of the world. In football, it's the same, but with accent on England because the rest of the english speaking world sucks at it. Come to think of it, even England sucks at it, seeing their international record. But their league is strong, due to a mixture of money and it's global reach.

The world of football has readily available anything on any England club in English. We know their rivalries, their songs, their culture, their hooligans, their favorite beer etc. Sure you can find the same about any league. However, it takes a lot more digging, and learning an extra language. So why bother? The multicultural policy of most of the high profile english clubs just helps more people relate to it.

Don't take me wrong. I have nothing against England, or the English, or the culture. I respect many things English. Their writers, their thinkers, their language, their comedy, their "pluck". Many of those are overhyped too. Still there's a lot of it that's good. However, when it comes to football, I prefer the Serie A. It's possible that's because I am a Milan fan and you don't usually rationally choose which club to support. So while it may not have any facts to back it up (sure you can dig up facts, but they never changed anyone's opinion on their own), it's the way things are.

That is very true. The English Premier League and the Serie A get most of the matches seen on tv over here but all of the pre and post match shows usually focus on the English league.

Lord help someone over here who tries to research stuff on the Bundesliga for example. I know some German but the person who knows very little about that league and knows little to no German would be lost as most German clubs still don't have an English option to their website.

When you have as much money as they have going into everything around the English Premier League, you go all out in all avenues to push your product to as many places on this planet as possible. As a result, those that are getting into the sport in general will have first contact with their league.

aztattooedsean

Primavera
Reaction score
Truth is, the only people that like Milan are us Milanistas, that together with the fact that the English media will love any excuse to prove that they are the best.

I am American and I can only speak for myself that the English League, while enjoyable to watch when I have nothing better to watch, does nothing for me.

I would rather watch Milan play or the few Bundesliga matches that I can find on tv.

I hate all the English League match announcers and the in the studio commentators that want us to believe that they are so smart about the sport.:rolleyes:

Dinar

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Baggio, Pippo, Kaka, Shearer, Rino, Ambro, Dida, Thiago
Yeah they really weren't fine.

'If it was Robinho on the ground he'd be there for 10 minutes whining' is an unacceptable comment, and it was by no means the only one of that type. Plus names like 'Crouchy' are so fucking annoying, and the use of first names just for the Spurs players sounds stupid ('It's Gattuso... Flamini... Aaron's got it now!' etc).
They were constantly putting Serie A down and making such ignorant comments ('Robinho's always been quite a lazy player' etc), mispronouncing Milan players names, showing complete lack of knowledge about the league.

It's nothing new from Sky but it's really bad.

And it was Ray Wilkins of all the people, a former Milan player. What a ***.

BTW I kinda like John Helm, best commentator while covering FIFA WC or Confederations Cup. He was covering Bundesliga last season and season before I believe. :star:

We get only Sky's commentary for UCL and EPL here. For Serie A its way different (could English speaking Italians as well), only one among a few is a bit cocky, :tongue: Yet to get hold of their names though. :( They are pretty good. :)

Reaction score
Well thankfuly i didnt watch the match with english commentators i watched it with one of my own country's commentator and besides that he likes to make fun of Gattuso's Angriness and that he tends to overhype players sometimes he's a pretty good commentator and he's really hilarious he called Chiellini "Dr Scooby Dooby Doo" and called Del Piero "Dr.Laka Maka" LOLZ XD :D

Reaction score
i signed up last night and this is my first post. i was too mad, stressed and depressed to even comment last night. i live in england and have supported Milan since 2001. as anyone who lives in england will tell you it is a nightmare hearing other fans talk about Milan. i have backed Milan every single time someone has said anything about them and still do and always will but what worries me though is the declining reputation of a once European heavy weight that fought for top honors every season. i happen to live in Manchester and this is 100x worse than any other city in the country cos the united fans are so arrogant yet they hate me cos i will not stop arguing till it gets physical or they give up and admit Milan are better. i still have hope that Milan will rise one day and conquer Europe and the world again but looking at the match from yesterday we still have a long way to go. I am afraid though that if we do not improve our results and pick up the slack against English teams i might end up losing some arguments because losing to Tottenham is a disgrace.
Well use this Argument:You:How many CLs does Man Utd have again???
Man Utd Fanboys:3
You:Haha Milan has 7 CL title now go to school you morons who know nothing about football :o :cool:

KujaIX

Mexes & Muntari fanboy
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Current team
I found it really quite funny when they claimed Francesco Antonioli - The 43 year old 'keeper - Was playing LB.

Reaction score
I've watched Milan all my life under the most ignorant, stupid and biased commentary. Brazilians commentarists are, to keep it simple, a disgrace. I think it's about time you all, English and Americans milanistas, have to face it too and pay the price to have an unnusual choice of team.
Still Brazilian Commentaters are Amazing in general with their Gooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool Eddddddddddddddddddddddddddoooooooo (Insert Team Name here) they're so enjoyable to hear(even though i dont understand Portuguese at all :D)

Reaction score
English Journalists wouldn't understand the concept of this wonderful game,even if it crawled up their asses and brought them to anal orgasm as a direct result.we lost 0-1,thats a one goal margin and they call it a disgraceful display,hell,half of london is all bloated and arrogant because they beat barca 2-1,they are that thick that bloody stupid to even think they will even progress.These commentators are a disgrace to their country,give all the brits a bad name.

Senatore_M84

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Clarence Clyde Seedorf
I've watched Milan all my life under the most ignorant, stupid and biased commentary. Brazilians commentarists are, to keep it simple, a disgrace. I think it's about time you all, English and Americans milanistas, have to face it too and pay the price to have an unnusual choice of team.

What do they say/do?

Hitman

Milan Legend
Reaction score
I found it really quite funny when they claimed Francesco Antonioli - The 43 year old 'keeper - Was playing LB.

Whats worse is before the game when they were talking about Spurs injuries, they said "well even Milan have major injuries such as Pirlo, Pato, and PIPPI".

Wtf is pippi!?!?!?

Reaction score
Fav. Players
Junior & Messias
And Pato ???

He isn't injured ! ROFL Those England scumbags, I am 1/2 American (USA) And many relatives there and everybody in USA Hate England, Otherwise it's the same.

But funny things all my relatives call Football - FOOTBALL, Not Soccer, FOOTBALL...

And they are all mostly in L.A, NY, WDC, Sacramento and Chicago...

I PERSONALLY HATE ENGLAND !!!

We were Missing Pirlo, Boateng, Inzaghi, Ambrosini - and we couldn't use Cassano, Bommel and Emmanuelson :(

But Injuries are NO Excuse - We should simply have won this game...

They were missing a lots of players and we too...

But God i will kill Gay Wilkins >:(

Quinni 17

Gold Tie Hero
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Baresi, Rino, Pippo, Sheva, Pato.
I would love to disagree with most of the comments made in this topic but I cant. The narrow mindedness and casual racism thats on display during a match against foreign opposition is abysmal.

Some commentators are far worse than others in fairness but I think I will throw up if I ever have to hear the phrase "typical italian" or "slow boring league" uttered ever again.

Its not just against the Serie a but every foreign league and foreign players in general despite them making up integral part of the Premiership.

The majority of english commentators/pundits are cunts to be honest.

I fucking hate Graeme Souness.

Reaction score
Fav. Players
Kaka, Shevchenko, Inzaghi, Maldini, Van Basten, Lionel Messi, Pato, Nesta, Van Nistelrooy.
Yes they are biased, even calling Gattuso a "dog of Milan". Ray Wilkins was the most biased compared to the others who were not far behind. Like when Zlatan was offside (which he wasnt) the commentator Ray Wilkins says "offside" straight away before the replay and then says maybe he wasnt offside. Gennaro Gattuso – Milan’s ‘little dog’ who is more bark than bite- this is a headline in the Telegraph. Milan> English teams. Forza Milan!

samir10

Moaaarr Attackers :proud:
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Gattuso, Shevchenko, Boban, Baresi, MVB, Inzaghi, Riquelme
i fucking hate england and english commentators. i was jizzing when croatia beat them in that epic wembley match it was beyond this word to watch those ugly english faces when kranjčar scored wondergoal. if i were englishman i would cut my tongue so i couldn't speak english! a bunch of overrated fuck who think they invented the world. if only milan knock out those sorry asses i would be the happiest man alive.

samir10

Moaaarr Attackers :proud:
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Gattuso, Shevchenko, Boban, Baresi, MVB, Inzaghi, Riquelme
Don`t mean to add something really, but why is a fucking Bosnian commentator hyping Tottenham? Pricks.

i don't watch football on bosnian national tv. they are bunch of fucking biased retards. jebem im majku neću im plaćati pretplatu :thumbsup:

HeroMaldini

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Ambrosini, Nesta, Inzaghi, Pato, Kaka(he'll be back!) Prince, Abate, Ibra, Robbie Keane
well we all know the best way to shut the fuckers up..i just pray to God we do it in the return leg.. Milan have to do it for the fans this time, we cant be humilitated for a 3rd time in a row by an english team at this stage of the champions league, they have no idea what we have to put up with otherwise

Reaction score
Fav. Players
Junior & Messias
England is the most hated nation in Europe so i'm not surprised ! :O

1 WC Victory in 1966 in ENGLAND, when they cheated on the poor Portuguese, Eusébio and Co.

By Moving the game to Wembley ! -.-

And in EVERY WC They think they are the most likely to win...

And that's hilarious !

England = Overrated (PERIOD)

Quinni 17

Gold Tie Hero
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Baresi, Rino, Pippo, Sheva, Pato.
Overated I agree. I actually hate the national team. Nothing wrong with English people... just the commentary is shocking. I expected better from Ray Wilkins. :(

Reaction score
Fav. Players
Junior & Messias
DRoopy%20redknapp.jpg

Hope Allegri wins the tactic duel with Redknapp the dog !!!

aztattooedsean

Primavera
Reaction score
I have a question for those that have been able to have access to football on tv going back before the 90's ended.

I am in total agreement about the bias of the English media towards English football.

What was it like when the Serie A was the dominate league? Was it appreciated by media or did they try to knock it down?

Dwa Milan

Milan Per Sempre
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Dejan Savicevic, Pirlo, Kaka,zambrotta,rui costa,sandro nesta,gourcuff, Marco Simone
I have a question for those that have been able to have access to football on tv going back before the 90's ended.

I am in total agreement about the bias of the English media towards English football.

What was it like when the Serie A was the dominate league? Was it appreciated by media or did they try to knock it down?

Not really, from what I remember back than the commentary was a bit normal, but I don't really pay attention on the commentary and mostly focus on watching the game back then (not to mention I was still a kid).
It probably started in late 90's(early 2000) when English teams managed to compete again in the Champions League,
the Europa League commentary yesterday (Napoli v Villareal) was pretty okay though, off course no English teams involved :D

Zeusftw

#WeAreSoRich
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Paul Singer, Leonardo, Maldini, Romagnoli Capitano, Bakayoko, Kessie, Suso, Caldara, Calibria
The only reason why I felt a bit of sympathy for Englands loss against Germany is because Capello is the manager of the squad or eitherwise I could careless about England or its national team lmao. The english are so arragent when it comes to anything outside the EPL.

neutral

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Yes i totally agree with this. It doesnt even only go towards Italian football, when South Africa hosted the World Cup we got constant stick from the English media about stupid/silly things. They are biased and so far up there own arses its ridiculous. I do think the one point people are missing though is that its the english media thats rubbish but lots of hatred is going down to the English people in this thread. The English people are not to blame and some of the posts here ( i wont mention names) are bordering on racism.

ernesto

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Fav. Players
maldini, nesta, pirlo, inzaghi, buffon
I would love to disagree with most of the comments made in this topic but I cant. The narrow mindedness and casual racism thats on display during a match against foreign opposition is abysmal.

Some commentators are far worse than others in fairness but I think I will throw up if I ever have to hear the phrase "typical italian" or "slow boring league" uttered ever again.

Its not just against the Serie a but every foreign league and foreign players in general despite them making up integral part of the Premiership.

The majority of english commentators/pundits are cunts to be honest.

I fucking hate Graeme Souness.

EPL and english players are so good which is why they are bagging one world up after another year after year :o

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Maldini, Buffon, Rino*Pirlo*Clarence, Sheva, Totti, Ibra, Pippo, Giacomo, Carlo, Il Dottore
BTW I kinda like John Helm, best commentator while covering FIFA WC or Confederations Cup. He was covering Bundesliga last season and season before I believe. :star:

Absolutely! John Helm is a brilliant commentator. His baritone, random trivia he throws in while commentating, and his sheer love for the game. Top guy.

As for English commentators, I have not watched an English commentary stream for almost 2 years now. The xenophobia and ignorance has gone from irritating to outrageous to amusing to pathetic. This could well happen to any country with a lot of immigrants, so I wouldn't judge them.

Even when the match is in my TV, I prefer to watch streams because of this simple reason. I do have a sexy wide-screen LCD monitor :tongue:

Obviously the English dudes are paid money to keep repeating the BPL is the Best Mantra, but it's their ridiculousness in doing it so blatantly that makes it pathetic.

aztattooedsean

Primavera
Reaction score
Not really, from what I remember back than the commentary was a bit normal, but I don't really pay attention on the commentary and mostly focus on watching the game back then (not to mention I was still a kid).
It probably started in late 90's(early 2000) when English teams managed to compete again in the Champions League,
the Europa League commentary yesterday (Napoli v Villareal) was pretty okay though, off course no English teams involved :D

thanks for the information, I was just curious. :thumbsup::cool:

naive_harry

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Inzaghi, Gattuso, Kaka, Pato, Abate, Nocerino and in that order
I think the bigger plan is to make an EPL team win the champions league this year. So all the refs are giving stupid decisions, Messi's disallowed goal, Ibra's disallowed goal, come on now. Like some one mentioning the fact that every 50-50 decision will go there way.

neutral

Milan Icon
Reaction score
I think the bigger plan is to make an EPL team win the champions league this year. So all the refs are giving stupid decisions, Messi's disallowed goal, Ibra's disallowed goal, come on now. Like some one mentioning the fact that every 50-50 decision will go there way.

This is silly, flamini could of easily got a red card and he didnt?

Schedule