• South Korea

Votes: 6 27.3%

• Total voters

Senatore_M84

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Clarence Clyde Seedorf
told you all, Uruguay is good. I think they are 1 legitimate creative mid away from probably winning the tourney. I mean they play Forlan as it....

Suarez is good. I have liked him in all games except france. I really think he was huge v. South Africa, even if Forlan had that awesome goal. He's alot more of a forward than i thought though...

ww

Banned
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Lugano, Raí, Rogério Ceni, Ambrosini, Gattuso
Suarez has improved so much from what I thought he was (another Huntelaar), however, dude, you can make a pass to a better placed teamate, instead of taking a super complicated shot that will lead to nowhere.

Even if Korea had chances, Uruguay looked very good, calm, they could've done without the scare had they not given the initiative to Korea...but you know instead of getting all desperate about scoring, they just started controlling the game and creating chances.

Lugano is soo very old school defender (dirty motherfucker :D), so old school he gets away from getting carded just cause he has a super presence on the field. Europe misses this defenders so badly.

Oh c'mon Lugano's not dirty, he never try to hurt their adversaries like Materazzi. He does a good use of this strength and determination but always aiming the ball or blocking his adversaries with his body.

His presence on the field is what I most miss on him. The saddest day on football for me is, together with the death of Telê Santana and Rai's retirement, when Lugano left São Paulo to Europe.

Lugano's a fucking hero, no matter what team he plays.

gaizka22

Apprentice father
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
van Basten, Maldini, Zidane, Baresi, Maradona, Boban, Baggio, Matthaus, Costacurta
Great game and a great start to the second round. Uruguay will really fancy their chance vs USA/Ghana in QF.

The commentator mentioned that this is the first time since Peru in WC 70 that any South American team except Brazil and Argentina ever made it to the QF.

Now let's see what Argentina, Brazil, Paraguay and Chile can do. Too bad Brazil and Chile will play each other. On other note if Paraguay wins their game vs Japan, it's sad to see both the Asian representatives got knocked out by South American representatives.

crazy4milan

Exotic Stevie G
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini,Weah,Nesta,Dida
Oh c'mon Lugano's not dirty, he never try to hurt their adversaries like Materazzi. He does a good use of this strength and determination but always aiming the ball or blocking his adversaries with his body.

His presence on the field is what I most miss on him. The saddest day on football for me is, together with the death of Telê Santana and Rai's retirement, when Lugano left São Paulo to Europe.

Lugano's a fucking hero, no matter what team he plays.

Come on he is dirty, not Materazzi or Paolo Montero dirty but he has his things.

Senatore_M84

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Clarence Clyde Seedorf
Lugano=Walter Samuel. Samuel is a little dirty, but not in a bad way at all

he is classic South American CB. He knows HOW to play, no other way to put it, lift his teammates, when to foul, when to not, how to organize... And I gotta say, i love it

The whole uruguay back 7 is very good tactically. Well coached team ;)

Sasha

The UNBANNABLE One
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Azzurri e Rossoneri
LOOOOOOOOOOOOOL South Korea. :D

ww

Banned
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Come on he is dirty, not Materazzi or Paolo Montero dirty but he has his things.

I think we have different interpretations for dirty.

For me dirty is someone who tries to hurt his adversaries or try to provoking them like Materazzi did to Zidane.

Lugano make tactical fouls and sometimes push and pull depending of the momment but I don't think that's dirty. I think it's kinda the same of what Ambrosini does. It's more about enthusiasm and determination than lack of character.

I think there's a big difference between Lugano/Ambrosini and Materazzi/Roy Keane.

crazy4milan

Exotic Stevie G
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini,Weah,Nesta,Dida
he is classic South American CB. He knows HOW to play, no other way to put it, lift his teammates, when to foul, when to not, how to organize... And I gotta say, i love it
Yup me too, though I have to say more than knowing when to or not to foul, his presence, even if he isn't on a top european team, at times gets him away from probable deserved red cards.

I'm serious, even it's classical South American CBs, Europe used to have their own kind of this type of defenders, not so much anymore, and IMO it's costing them.

Well coached team ;)
Oh Tabarez, it reminds me of the guy seating 2 lines above me in the Uruguay-CR game that just went crazy screaming at Tabarez (we were pretty close to their bench), telling him he was an inept, Tabarez and the rest of the bench just laughed it off. I guess, all the horrible things he could've endured, he heard at San Siro and at the Monumental.

Senatore_M84

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Clarence Clyde Seedorf
I have an imagine of Capitao Lugano as a child....

Just constantly trying to commit tactical fouls all over field and gettign carded and sent off. Seriously. Lugano, Gilberto Silva, Ambrosini. you are in love with the "I'm not quite fast enough to get there cleaning so i'm going to slightly foul them so they don't break away" player.

KujaIX

Mexes & Muntari fanboy
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Current team
I'm not sure who i want to win out of Uruguay and Argentina/Mexico. I like them all despite i usually root for the underdogs. But i like Maradona and his reaction's from the sideline makes me laugh.

Tough choice. Although i am happy for Uruguay beating South Korea.

Senatore_M84

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Clarence Clyde Seedorf
Yup me too, though I have to say more than knowing when to or not to foul, his presence, even if he isn't on a top european team, at times gets him away from probable deserved red cards.

I'm serious, even it's classical South American CBs, Europe used to have their own kind of this type of defenders, not so much anymore, and IMO it's costing them.

IMO Europeans are going down road of USA which isn't necessarily good.... everything is tooooo structured from a young age. In South America they still learn in streets and fields more than academies. And that goes for all aspects, attacking, defending etc.

IMO you gotta have a balance.

Senatore_M84

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Clarence Clyde Seedorf
I'm not sure who i want to win out of Uruguay and Argentina/Mexico. I like them all despite i usually root for the underdogs. But i like Maradona and his reaction's from the sideline makes me laugh.

Tough choice. Although i am happy for Uruguay beating South Korea.

Good thing you won't have to choose till world cup finals ;)

Winner of usa/ghana faces uruguay

Sasha

The UNBANNABLE One
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Azzurri e Rossoneri
Anybody but Mecico

KujaIX

Mexes & Muntari fanboy
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Current team
Good thing you won't have to choose till world cup finals ;)

Winner of usa/ghana faces uruguay

Oops. Now it makes sense why it was played today(Ghana vs. USA). I totally should have known that. :D

Well then, i predict that Uruguay will get to the Semi Finals then. Good for them, although there are really no extremely strong teams here. And yes, USA are good but not in that upper calibre. And yes. I am putting England in that upper calibre of teams even if some of you haters disagree for reasons such as jealousy.

Susan

Sempre Milan
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Paolo Maldini, Sandro Nesta, Thiago Silva, Pippo, Ibra, Kaka
Was a nice start of the eighth finals today, a good game. I would say it was a deserved win for Uruguay, Suarez was great today, the second goal he scored was awesome. But also South Korea were not bad and did well too and also had a time when they controlled the game. So that made it an interesting match.

Sage

Phase 3
Staff member
Reaction score
2 posts and a goal off the line :mad: :mad: :mad: fuck uruguay, forza ghana/usa against them

Maldiniac

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
good performance, good game, sad to see them didnt qualify :(

Ghisolfa

SUN SEMPER CHI
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Baresi, Maldini, Baggio, Pirlo
Oops. Now it makes sense why it was played today(Ghana vs. USA). I totally should have known that. :D

Well then, i predict that Uruguay will get to the Semi Finals then. Good for them, although there are really no extremely strong teams here. And yes, USA are good but not in that upper calibre. And yes. I am putting England in that upper calibre of teams even if some of you haters disagree for reasons such as jealousy.

Would like to point out that the disagreement is out of EVIDENCE, not jealousy.

Pedro

iedereen is gek
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Paolo Maldini & Marc-André ter Stegen
And yes. I am putting England in that upper calibre of teams even if some of you haters disagree for reasons such as jealousy.

So why do they suck so much?

ww

Banned
Reaction score
Fav. Players
I think that the teams in the upper calibre are Brazil, Italy and Germany. Those are the teams who have: Strong culture of football, balls and legendary players. Everything in the most high level.

In the second calibre I put Netherlands and Argentina. Netherlands because they have a strong culture of football and legendary players but their balls are not in the most high level. Argentina has everything that Brazil, Italy and Germany but not in the same level. A little bit lower.

In the third calibre I put England and Uruguay because they have a nice story but not enough to be in the top 2. England have a huge difference of testicles if we compare their national team not only with everyone in my top 2 but also some teams such as USA and Ghana and this "kick and run" culture is no big deal. "Fast tempo" is something that works only on EPL and it's not fair to say that a country that don't even have one decent manager has a strong football culture. Uruguay also has a nice story but they lost their tough football culture and balls as time went by. Also, they spent a long time without displaying great players. They're just recovering it now.

In the forth calibre I put Mexico, Portugal, USA, Ghana, Ivory Coast, South Korea and Japan. Those countries were nothing in the past but developed their football very well in the last decade.

I don't really know where to put Spain then I decided to leave them out of my ranking with the excuse that I'm talking about male football.

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Maldini, Buffon, Rino*Pirlo*Clarence, Sheva, Totti, Ibra, Pippo, Giacomo, Carlo, Il Dottore
I think that the teams in the upper calibre are Brazil, Italy and Germany. Those are the teams who have: Strong culture of football, balls and legendary players. Everything in the most high level.

In the second calibre I put Netherlands and Argentina. Netherlands because they have a strong culture of football and legendary players but their balls are not in the most high level. Argentina has everything that Brazil, Italy and Germany but not in the same level. A little bit lower.

In the third calibre I put England and Uruguay because they have a nice story but not enough to be in the top 2. England have a huge difference of testicles if we compare their national team not only with everyone in my top 2 but also some teams such as USA and Ghana and this "kick and run" culture is no big deal. "Fast tempo" is something that works only on EPL and it's not fair to say that a country that don't even have one decent manager has a strong football culture. Uruguay also has a nice story but they lost their tough football culture and balls as time went by. Also, they spent a long time without displaying great players. They're just recovering it now.

In the forth calibre I put Mexico, Portugal, USA, Ghana, Ivory Coast, South Korea and Japan. Those countries were nothing in the past but developed their football very well in the last decade.

I don't really know where to put Spain then I decided to leave them out of my ranking with the excuse that I'm talking about male football.

Nice, pretty accurate and LOL at Spain..

I'd put Portugal in the same tier as England and Uruguay, simply on the basis of their quality.

And I'd say Chile is a drifter between that tier and the lower one.

Schedule