Marseille doping scandal rocks Milan

acerвιc wιт

Milano Siamo Noi!
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Paolo Maldini, Thiago Silva, Serginho, Kaká, Gennaro Gattuso, Kevin Prince Boateng & Filippo Inzaghi

Saturday 21 January, 2006

Milan are ready to demand the 1993 Champions League trophy after a Marseille star claimed the team was on drugs for the Final.

The Rossoneri lost the match in Munich 1-0 to a goal from Basil Boli, as their opponents became the first French team ever to lift the trophy. It was a shock, as Fabio Capello’s side had a 100 per cent record until that point with 10 consecutive victories.

Now former Marseille midfielder Jean-Jacques Edelie has revealed in his autobiography that the game was not all it seemed to be.

“The only time I agreed to take a doping product was the 1993 Champions League Final,” he confessed in the book that will come out on March 1.

“In all the clubs I played in, I saw some doping going on, except for Bastia, but this was the only time I accepted. We all took a series of injections and I felt different during the game, as my physique responded differently under strain. The only player who refused to take part was Rudi Voller (pictured).”

The news is a particular shock to Milan, as among the Marseille stars were future Serie A heroes Didier Deschamps and Marcel Desailly.

It’s not the first time that the French club has been embroiled in controversy, as it emerged they had fixed their title-clinching League game against ASOA Valence-Clime so that they could concentrate on the European Final. The side was stripped of Le Championnat, relegated and barred from defending this trophy.

Milan have asked their lawyers to look into the situation and many of the players who lost that day are hoping to be awarded the title with a 13-year delay.

“I am shocked and find this news disturbing,” Daniele Massaro told the Corriere dello Sport. “If these allegations are proved, then it would be right to take the trophy away from Marseille and return it to Milan. The whole thing is simply incredible.”

Roberto Donadoni, who is now Coach of Serie A side Livorno, aimed his scorn at the club hierarchy.

“I don’t know what the future of that cup holds, but one thing is certain: if it's proved that all the players were on something, then the directors must’ve had a hand in it. I remain stunned by the fact that professionals in this sport can go to any lengths in order to win.”

Vice-President Adriano Galliani called for UEFA to take action over these allegations.

“Our lawyer is looking into the situation and we believe that UEFA cannot help but begin an inquest when confronted with these statements. Of course, if Marseille really were on drugs against us that night, then I think it’s right for the trophy to be assigned to Milan. We’ll wait and see what happens.”

Looks like 7 CL for us!!! =]

tmilan

Marius
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Chiricheș
San Paolo said:

Saturday 21 January, 2006

Milan are ready to demand the 1993 Champions League trophy after a Marseille star claimed the team was on drugs for the Final.

The Rossoneri lost the match in Munich 1-0 to a goal from Basil Boli, as their opponents became the first French team ever to lift the trophy. It was a shock, as Fabio Capello’s side had a 100 per cent record until that point with 10 consecutive victories.

Now former Marseille midfielder Jean-Jacques Edelie has revealed in his autobiography that the game was not all it seemed to be.

“The only time I agreed to take a doping product was the 1993 Champions League Final,” he confessed in the book that will come out on March 1.

“In all the clubs I played in, I saw some doping going on, except for Bastia, but this was the only time I accepted. We all took a series of injections and I felt different during the game, as my physique responded differently under strain. The only player who refused to take part was Rudi Voller (pictured).”

The news is a particular shock to Milan, as among the Marseille stars were future Serie A heroes Didier Deschamps and Marcel Desailly.

It’s not the first time that the French club has been embroiled in controversy, as it emerged they had fixed their title-clinching League game against ASOA Valence-Clime so that they could concentrate on the European Final. The side was stripped of Le Championnat, relegated and barred from defending this trophy.

Milan have asked their lawyers to look into the situation and many of the players who lost that day are hoping to be awarded the title with a 13-year delay.

“I am shocked and find this news disturbing,” Daniele Massaro told the Corriere dello Sport. “If these allegations are proved, then it would be right to take the trophy away from Marseille and return it to Milan. The whole thing is simply incredible.”

Roberto Donadoni, who is now Coach of Serie A side Livorno, aimed his scorn at the club hierarchy.

“I don’t know what the future of that cup holds, but one thing is certain: if it's proved that all the players were on something, then the directors must’ve had a hand in it. I remain stunned by the fact that professionals in this sport can go to any lengths in order to win.”

Vice-President Adriano Galliani called for UEFA to take action over these allegations.

“Our lawyer is looking into the situation and we believe that UEFA cannot help but begin an inquest when confronted with these statements. Of course, if Marseille really were on drugs against us that night, then I think it’s right for the trophy to be assigned to Milan. We’ll wait and see what happens.”

Looks like 7 CL for us!!! =]

It's hard to believe that. :conf:

tmilan

Marius
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Chiricheș
teis said:
Why, I would find it hard to believe that any team would play clean

Yes, but all the OM players?

teis

Alice in Chains
Reaction score
tmilan said:
Yes, but all the OM players?
why not? I seems normal to me

Why make one player play better if you can make them all play better?
Drugs are used in all sports, so why not in football

Reaction score
Why are any of you shocked? Look at juve they did it all the time, the only reason they didn't get punished for it was a technicality - a rule that would've seen them prosecuted was abolished a few years earlier.

I already knew that OM had cheated in some way because Milan played the Intercontinental Cup and the European Supercup that year instead but I didn't know it was because all but one their players were doped up. The only surprise for me is Marcel Desailly, how could he look anyone at Milan in the face let alone play for them for years? - TRAITOR !!! :mad:

Milan should definately be handed the trophy even if it is 13 years too late!

menon_inc

¤ I Still Believe ¤
Reaction score
Its ours! Give it back to us! I doubt anything will happen but i hope they take the right action!

teis

Alice in Chains
Reaction score
Rossoneri_Alè! said:
Why are any of you shocked? Look at juve they did it all the time, the only reason they didn't get punished for it was a technicality - a rule that would've seen them prosecuted was abolished a few years earlier.

I already knew that OM had cheated in some way because Milan played the Intercontinental Cup and the European Supercup that year instead but I didn't know it was because all but one their players were doped up. The only surprise for me is Marcel Desailly, how could he look anyone at Milan in the face let alone play for them for years? - TRAITOR !!! :mad:

Milan should definately be handed the trophy even if it is 13 years too late!
the correct term would be do ;)

Riccardo

AAAARGGHH!!!!
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Pippo, Gattuso, Nesta, Rui Costa
I agree that if this is true then Marseille should be stripped of the trophy, but I don't feel it should be handed to us. I wouldn't want our 7th CL trophy like that. Lets win it properly in Paris

Billy1969

Banned
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Inzaghi, Van Basten, Baresi, Boban, Savisevic, Albertini, Gattuso
I remember that final very well, as I watched it live on television. I don't know if the whole Marseille team was on doping but even then Milan was a lot better, besides the lucky goal, a header from Boli (like Stam does sometimes these days) resulting from a corner kick made it 1-0 in the 37th minute and from then on, Marseille didn't leave their side of the field for the rest of the match. This is, right after the CL 2005 final the worst defeat of the Rossoneri in my memories. Olmetta, the Marseille goalkeeper back then saved some incredible balls, and I remember clearly thinking to myself, believe it or not, wth did that guy smoke to be so good?

DugiNesta

the epic #3
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta - Maldini - El Shaarawy - Kaka - Gattuso - Messi
our 7 Trophy :star:

Besi

¤ TheSaint ¤
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini , Kaká
Hehe , he can easily say that he lied , and all history is gone .. I dont think they will give that trophey .. anyway .. if they really used doping , we deserve to have that 7th trophey ..

Lets see...

Demerio

Photoshop Lieutenant
Reaction score
Fav. Players
KAKA-Pandev-PATO
GALLIANI: 'Sure Uefa will open inquest'
1/21/2006
MILANELLO - Adriano Galliani on Eydelie's revelations: 'We are sure Uefa will open an inquest. Of course, if Marseille really were on drugs against us that night, then I think it’s right for the trophy to be assigned to Milan as we would have been able to play the Intercontental Final and European Super Cup. Our lawyer is looking into the situation.'

Demerio

Photoshop Lieutenant
Reaction score
Fav. Players
KAKA-Pandev-PATO
DOPING - Eydelie: 'We all took a series of injections before Munich final'
1/20/2006
Former Marseille midfielder Jean-Jacques Edelie has revealed in his autobiography: 'In every club I have played there has been doping, except for Bastia.' He goes on to write: 'The only time I agreed to take a doping product was the 1993 Champions League Final. We all took a series of injections and I felt different during the game, as my physique responded differently under strain. The only player who refused to take part was Rudi Voller.'

SouthClaw

Master of Hadou
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Nesta, Pirlo, Pato, T. Silva, Ambrosini, Inzaghi
Now, I wait for a Liverpool player to make a similar confession about drugs they took during halftime of the 2005 CL final.

Sidd

सिद्धर्&
Reaction score
msiddiqu said:
Now, I wait for a Liverpool player to make a similar confession about drugs they took during halftime of the 2005 CL final.
probably steven gerard after 13 years when he writes his biography :tongue:

Congo Powers

⭐⭐
Reaction score
Fav. Players
B&G, RuiCosta, Pippo, Sheva, Stam, Kaka, Abbiati, Cassano, Mexes, TH19, RL10, KPB, 45, Krunic
give us the damn trophy!

Reaction score
WOW!We should make it 7 then.Hope we make it 8 after this season.We will be closing in on Real Madrid then.This is all what I have hoped for that one day will overcome them.
FORZA ROSSONERI!

Besi

¤ TheSaint ¤
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini , Kaká
tsetses said:
WOW!We should make it 7 then.Hope we make it 8 after this season.We will be closing in on Real Madrid then.This is all what I have hoped for that one day will overcome them.
FORZA ROSSONERI!

Hehe , lets make it 7 ... than we will think about 8..

Milanista10

FORZA MILAN, IL MILAN OLE
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, Baresi
i doubt theyll strip marseille. however they wont let this be unpunished..a posibility is that the award Milan as co-winners of the Champions League of that year.You never know ;) :)

acerвιc wιт

Milano Siamo Noi!
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Paolo Maldini, Thiago Silva, Serginho, Kaká, Gennaro Gattuso, Kevin Prince Boateng & Filippo Inzaghi
Honeslty though why the hell would you write it in your own biography?
Dumb ass!

menon_inc

¤ I Still Believe ¤
Reaction score
San Paolo said:
Dumb ass!

Good point. Maybe a good way of marketting his book by bringing up this contreversial issue.

Beemer

Milan Legend
Reaction score
San Paolo said:
Dumb ass!
That's nothing new; Pete Rose denied betting on baseball for 14 years until he finally 'fessed up about it in 2003, but only to sell his new autobiography. Who cares about scruples when there's money to be made? :rolleyes:

Last edited:

pnut408

Banana Slug
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Sheva, Maldini, Gattuso
The only player who refused to take part was Rudi Voller

I'm really proud of Rudi, a real football player.

But yeah, IF it's proven that they did take drugs, they should be stripped of the trophy. I don't know about awarding it to Milan though. After all, we didn't win it.

acerвιc wιт

Milano Siamo Noi!
Reaction score
Fav. Players
BMWTaylor said:
That's nothing new; Pete Rose denied betting on baseball for 14 years until he finally 'fessed up about it in 2003, but only to sell his new autobiography. Who cares about scruples when there's money to be made? :rolleyes:
Don't get me wrong I know people do it but why?
Probably can't live on longer with a guilty conscious

pixiraver

Acmilan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Ronaldinho, okocha, shevchenko, inzaghi, maradona, romario
What good will it do to us if we are given the trophy?Let us forget about past glories and forge ahead,lets win this CL trophy and atleast that bwill gladden our hearts.And how can they prove what the player or whatever said in his book?the guy is only trying to sell his god forsaken book !!

Kyara

¤ Il Poeta ¤
Reaction score
Fav. Players
MVB|Sheva|Max|Maldini|Kakà
pnut408 said:
But yeah, IF it's proven that they did take drugs, they should be stripped of the trophy. I don't know about awarding it to Milan though. After all, we didn't win it.
You make a good point, but we would've had a better chance of winning if they hadn't taken those drugs, right? ;)

I mean we're getting a new title out of nowhere, hell I ain't gonna say no to that :tongue:

Pipa

Rotten Apple
Reaction score
It happens all the time. and it's normal for those juve bastards to take drugs. marseille should be stripped and the 7th CL for us.... :D

Schedule