Official Combat Sports (MMA, Boxing, Kickboxing) Thread

Charbel

"Il Capitano"
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini, L.Ronaldo, Nesta, Ambrosini
he won every round clearly, not barely.

but yes, he did look rusty on the feet.
He won round 2 and 3 more clearly cuz he spent more time on the ground, but the first round was not as clear to be honest, though would definitely give it to him. The hype he was getting before the match started made me expect more, but I dont know a lot about the sport to be able to make that judgement.

MilanMB

Serendipity
Reaction score
He won round 2 and 3 more clearly cuz he spent more time on the ground, but the first round was not as clear to be honest, though would definitely give it to him. The hype he was getting before the match started made me expect more, but I dont know a lot about the sport to be able to make that judgement.

Yes, round 2 and 3 were more clear. Gustafsson stole the first round by taking him down at the end. Judging from how fights are scored in MMA, all rounds were crystal clear. Try not to listen to Az, he says a lot of crazy stuff.

But, you're totally correct in expecting more. He was losing the stand up, which led to him taking his opponent down, that's MMA for you. Tbh, I wasn't expecting much from Gus after almost a year away from the Octagon, but I was still disappointed in his stand up. He looked very slow.

I don't have high hopes for Gus making a third run for the title, I think losing to Jones, Cormier and Rumble messed him up mentally. Let's see how he looks in the next fight, there's been talks about a rematch with Jones, but I think Bader would be a more natural match up right now.

MilanMB

Serendipity
Reaction score
A good example to compare this fight with is the one between Jones vs OSP.

Jones looked horrible, but won all five rounds comfortably IIRC.

Curupira

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Yes, round 2 and 3 were more clear. Gustafsson stole the first round by taking him down at the end. Judging from how fights are scored in MMA, all rounds were crystal clear. Try not to listen to Az, he says a lot of crazy stuff.

But, you're totally correct in expecting more. He was losing the stand up, which led to him taking his opponent down, that's MMA for you. Tbh, I wasn't expecting much from Gus after almost a year away from the Octagon, but I was still disappointed in his stand up. He looked very slow.

I don't have high hopes for Gus making a third run for the title, I think losing to Jones, Cormier and Rumble messed him up mentally. Let's see how he looks in the next fight, there's been talks about a rematch with Jones, but I think Bader would be a more natural match up right now.

I think they are referring to the fact that he was not doing well in the stand up.

But I agree, I don't see Gus making another title run either.

MilanMB

Serendipity
Reaction score
forza

[spoilgustafsson

but he did look shaky on the feet[/spoil]

I think they are referring to the fact that he was not doing well in the stand up.

But I agree, I don't see Gus making another title run either.

Just as the fight ended I said that he didn't look good in stand up, and I've repeated myself three times after that.

Whether he was good on the feet or not doesn't, in this case, have to do anything with the score and judges decision.

Mexes5

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Seedorf, Gattuso, Kaka, Inzaghi, Shevchenko, Mexes, Pato, Pazzini
A good example to compare this fight with is the one between Jones vs OSP.

Jones looked horrible, but won all five rounds comfortably IIRC.

OSP stood there and did jack shit the whole time and then was praised for it. :fp:

Milaniscool

Face that runs the place
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Balotelli, Leão, Theo, Zlatan, Tonali
I got a question, does anybody here think CM Punk makes it out the first round in his fight?

Curupira

Milan Legend
Reaction score
I got a question, does anybody here think CM Punk makes it out the first round in his fight?

This is Mickey Gall in a grappling tourney against Gordan Ryan (one of the hottest prospect right now). Considering Gordan Ryan beat Keenan Cornelius (another top grappler) in a nogi no time limit sub only match after an hour and 40 minutes, I'd say Gall's grappling skills aren't bad and for sure are above CM Punks.

I really don't see this going well for him.

MilanMB

Serendipity
Reaction score
He's been getting to much shit for basically following a dream, so now I want him to win just because of the haters.

But I don't think he'll stand a chance.

Milaniscool

Face that runs the place
Reaction score
Fav. Players
He's been getting to much shit for basically following a dream, so now I want him to win just because of the haters.

But I don't think he'll stand a chance.

I never fault a person for going out and actively pursuing their dreams because most don't. My problem is the guy got to cut in line to get into the UFC. He doesn't deserve to be in the UFC at all based on his fighting skills. I understand it though because he will probably draw in some added viewers, but make him do some amateur fights or something first.

Curupira

Milan Legend
Reaction score
I never fault a person for going out and actively pursuing their dreams because most don't. My problem is the guy got to cut in line to get into the UFC. He doesn't deserve to be in the UFC at all based on his fighting skills. I understand it though because he will probably draw in some added viewers, but make him do some amateur fights or something first.

He has a big name and can draw ratings, hence the "cut in line" to get to UFC part. Also, I don't know if you know this or not but "get in UFC" isn't that hard and doesn't mean good pay or any kind of prestige. It's not like CM Punk will be in line for a belt.

With that said though, Gall has a relatively unpolished game as well. Even so, I think CM Punk will get smoked.

MilanMB

Serendipity
Reaction score
He has a big name and can draw ratings, hence the "cut in line" to get to UFC part. Also, I don't know if you know this or not but "get in UFC" isn't that hard and doesn't mean good pay or any kind of prestige. It's not like CM Punk will be in line for a belt.

With that said though, Gall has a relatively unpolished game as well. Even so, I think CM Punk will get smoked.

:thumbsup:

Milaniscool

Face that runs the place
Reaction score
Fav. Players

You are right it doesn't take being at a Jon Jones level to get into the UFC, and I know the pay can be insane low considering it the UFC. Still though he has no merit to be in the UFC based on anything he has done as an athlete on top of being almost 40. Like I wrote before though, I totally understand it based on him getting some viewers in, so it is what it is. I hope he can prove me wrong though because I always love the underdog story. Hell, if he wins I might be inspired to do a kickboxing fight.

Curupira

Milan Legend
Reaction score
You are right it doesn't take being at a Jon Jones level to get into the UFC, and I know the pay can be insane low considering it the UFC. Still though he has no merit to be in the UFC based on anything he has done as an athlete on top of being almost 40. Like I wrote before though, I totally understand it based on him getting some viewers in, so it is what it is. I hope he can prove me wrong though because I always love the underdog story. Hell, if he wins I might be inspired to do a kickboxing fight.

Do it! It will be fun regardless.

MilanMB

Serendipity
Reaction score

You are also right. :thumbsup: Both arguments hold in this case.

It's simply a business decision by UFC, they want wrestling fans to cross over. It's not like they're doing it by the goodness of their heart to help CM Punk reach his dreams :lol:

And you never know in sports, he wont win any UFC belts, but winning against fighters like Gall isn't something I would call impossible.

Curupira

Milan Legend
Reaction score
You are also right. :thumbsup: Both arguments hold in this case.

It's simply a business decision by UFC, they want wrestling fans to cross over. It's not like they're doing it by the goodness of their heart to help CM Punk reach his dreams :lol:

And you never know in sports, he wont win any UFC belts, but winning against fighters like Gall isn't something I would call impossible.

If it goes to grappling, it's not going to end up well for him, FOR SURE. His best chance is to knock Gall out or just out point him. I don't see either happening because Galls stand up isn't terrible and CM Punk wasn't training striking professionally or anything.

Az.

Se7en
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini,Shevchenko, Rui Costa, Gattuso, Pippo, Nesta, Ambrosini,Seedorf, Billy,Kaka,Beckham,Zlatan
tumblr_oc9ax8b9z71u2ragso1_500.gif

Probably the most awesome anything related MMA i have seen this year.

Soldier_of_god

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
cr7, Kaka, sheva, zidane, pastore , zlatan ibra,T.silva, jovetic, Arjen robben, drogba, suarez
Have u seen cerrone vs cote man? Thst was good too

Sage

Phase 3
Staff member
Reaction score
lawler cerrone confirmed for ufc 205 :b:

Az.

Se7en
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini,Shevchenko, Rui Costa, Gattuso, Pippo, Nesta, Ambrosini,Seedorf, Billy,Kaka,Beckham,Zlatan
Have u seen cerrone vs cote man? Thst was good too

Yes, awesome as well. Man cowboy fights like on a daily basis :lol:

lawler cerrone confirmed for ufc 205 :b:

YESSSSS

So we now have on it:

Lawler - Cowboy
Weidman - GaySoldier.

Its shaping up to be one of the best cards ever.

Milaniscool

Face that runs the place
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Do it! It will be fun regardless.

I'm definitely thinking about it. Never done any combat though and I only have gotten hit in the face once by accident in a basketball game. I love to watch kickboxing though and Glory has got me really wanting to do it.

Last edited:

Curupira

Milan Legend
Reaction score
I'm definitely thinking about it. Never done any combat though and I only have gotten hit in the face once by accident in a basketball game. I love to watch kickboxing though and Glory has got me really wanting to do it.

In that case, you might want to train for at least 1 year...Be sure to pick out a legit kickboxing gym.

Soldier_of_god

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
cr7, Kaka, sheva, zidane, pastore , zlatan ibra,T.silva, jovetic, Arjen robben, drogba, suarez
Haha gaysoldier vs weidman would be amazing
I got gaysoldier on that one. What about you guys?

Jacare vs winner of (bisping hendo)

Salthold vs spider the silvaaaaaaaaaa

I have a question though. Just say hendo beats bisping and retires. What happens then. Does bisping fight jacare for a vacant middleweight title?

Curupira

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Haha gaysoldier vs weidman would be amazing
I got gaysoldier on that one. What about you guys?

Jacare vs winner of (bisping hendo)

Salthold vs spider the silvaaaaaaaaaa

I have a question though. Just say hendo beats bisping and retires. What happens then. Does bisping fight jacare for a vacant middleweight title?

My guess Jacare vs winner of Yoel vs. Weidman.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mickey Gall's open workout:

CM PUNK's open workout:

MilanMB

Serendipity
Reaction score
If Bisping loses against Hendo he'll never get a title fight again

Soldier_of_god

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Weidman definitely doesnt deserve a title shot curu. He has to face rockhold again imo. I want to see rockhold vs andy though. Albeit its an old washed up andy but he is still crafty and as crazy as ever haha.

Winner of rockhold vs silva to fight winner of gaysoldier vs weidman
Jacare vs bisping for the title shot.
Aint no sunshine, in these homes. Only darkness everydayyyy lol.

Curupira

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Weidman definitely doesnt deserve a title shot curu. He has to face rockhold again imo. I want to see rockhold vs andy though. Albeit its an old washed up andy but he is still crafty and as crazy as ever haha.

Winner of rockhold vs silva to fight winner of gaysoldier vs weidman
Jacare vs bisping for the title shot.
Aint no sunshine, in these homes. Only darkness everydayyyy lol.

Agree with MB on this one, if Bisping loses, he aint getting nowhere near that title again.

I can see your reasoning in that Weidman should rematch Rockhold, however, how can you say he is absolutely undeserving when he is 13-1 and his only loss is Rockhold when you have all these WAY less deserving immediate rematches?

I think Hendo is retiring, win or lose.

If Bisping wins, he will fight Jacare. If he loses, title is vacated and it becomes a 4 man tournament between Rockhold, Jacare, Weidman, and Romero.

Soldier_of_god

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Yea fair enough. So jacare weidman. Romero rockhold makes sense in that case.

Soldier_of_god

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
What if bisping wins and then goes on to beat souza lol.

Milaniscool

Face that runs the place
Reaction score
Fav. Players
What if bisping wins and then goes on to beat souza lol.

Then he makes a fool out of a lot of people, including me. To me Hendo is his best shot at getting in a title defense. Would love to see Dan go out with a KO win though.

Schedule