European Coefficients Watch feat. Dr Galliani & co dominating the corridors of power

nonsonoqui

Io non ho cugini
Staff member
Reaction score
5 italian's made it through to the next round in Europe, 6 english teams have made it too... i'll repeat what i told you last time, Italians doing well is insignificant if the English continue doing well.. we need a combination of both occurring each read if we want to overtake them this year. England has done better than Italy in Matchday 6 primarily because of the 15/8=1.875 bonus points for the 3 english teams making it to the knockouts of the CL.. Italy only got 10/6= 1.666 bonus points by match day 6.

That is why I am hoping Italian teams draw English teams. Napoli and Lazio can't, but I hope Fiorentina do, and I hope Juve draw Chelsea.

I was optimistic that Italian teams would make it, and a couple would get knocked out of CL, but only Man U did, and now they're in the EL, which I hope and think they don't take seriously.

IcyDiavolo

Milan Icon
Reaction score
ideally, we could have an italian winner in the EL that would finish outside the top 3 in Serie A, that's the only way we could have 4 teams in the CL next season..
Correct me if I'm wrong... but doesn't everything stay as it is now for next season (i.e. England with 4 CL spots; Italy with 3)?

If we overtake them the changes will only take place in 17-18 season IIRC.

Hitman

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong... but doesn't everything stay as it is now for next season (i.e. England with 4 CL spots; Italy with 3)?

you are completely correct when you are talking about the coefficients...if we overtake them before the end of this season, the 4 top teams of Serie A 2016/2017 will play in the CL of 2017/2018.

but I'm talking about something a bit different... don't forget last year they changed the rules and the winner of the EL goes directly to the CL (even if they don't qualify to the CL from their respective leagues)...

the top 2 teams from this year's Serie A will go directly to the CL, the 3rd time will go through qualifiers, and if Napoli/Fio/Lazio win the EL without finishing in the top 3 of Serie A, they can also go directly to the CL. just like how Seville this year was the 5th Spanish team in the CL and last year they were not in the top 4 in La Liga.

Hitman

Milan Legend
Reaction score
CL DRAW

Bayern Munich x Juventus
Real Madrid x Roma
Barcelona x Arsenal
Man City x Dynamo Kiev
Chelsea x PSG

Juve and Roma will exit the competition early, they won't stand a chance against their opponents. Arsenal also have no chance, while it is impossible for City to fail. Chelsea/PSG is a 50-50 game.

EUROPA LEAGUE

Lazio x Galatasary (50/50)
Napoli x Villareal (50/50)
Tottenham x Fiorentina (50/50)
Man Utd x FC Midtyland (100% united)
Liverpool x FC Augsburg (75% liverpool)

Are you optimistic about the next round in Europe? I'm not. The draw was very, very harsh to the Italians. Not one of the 5 Italians got an average draw, they all got unlucky and extremely difficult to impossible to beat opposition. The Manchester clubs both lucked out big time. If this draw had been slightly different, I would've told you Italy still had a chance to get that 4th spot back this year but now - impossible.

Mario

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Terrible draw for the Italian sides... the fact that English clubs got lucky doesn't make it any better

I'm not optimistic

romlakers

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
It seems everyone is trying to complicate Italia's route. Nonetheless in EL all the 3 clubs can do it.

Qaas

Vi må tage det som det kommer
Reaction score
Fav. Players
KAKA, Maldini, Nesta, Dida, Inzaghi, Sheva, TSilva, R9, Raul, Casillas, Schmeichel, Messi, Zlatan
Very very tough draws for serie a... Only napoli (maybe) are favourites to win their match

Polotelli

Milan Legend
SAPL Moderator
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maignan, Tomori, Kjaer, Theo, Bennacer, Leao, Giroud
way to many tough battles, yeah it's not gonna happen this year
but I hope they can keep the gap as small as possible

it's Ladri's own fault for not finishing first in their group
Imagine if it was Bayern - City and Ladri - Dinamo

Arsenal is out for sure, I hope PSG can do it again this year.
let's hope the epl continues their reputation in the EL

General

Official RnB Mercato Stress Counselor
Reaction score
Fav. Players
People who Try Harder, semantics aficionado
CUsMO5AWEAQOJph.png

Although the current year isn't current, here is something to consider:

11/12 had a +4 for the EPL. The following 2 years are - combined 4 points for the EPL with a 6 point plus for Serie A in 14/15.

If Italy keeps it within a 2 point gap this year... It's basically a head to head race next year.

If Italy just keeps it close, the 14/15 6 point cushion gives them a few chances to overtake the EPL.

It would be great to see it happen this season, but it's still within striking distance for a few years.

IcyDiavolo

Milan Icon
Reaction score
While I am even less optimistic about our chances of closing the gap, it's not all impossible. Roma and Juve are probably going to get knocked out, but so are Arsenal and Chelsea. It could come down to the EL, and if Fiorentina get past Spurs then that's two birds with one stone.

Mexes5

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Seedorf, Gattuso, Kaka, Inzaghi, Shevchenko, Mexes, Pato, Pazzini
Roma have time to sort it out by February, still some good players there, Real Madrid under Benitez on the other hand suck, let's be honest.

Juve are a good team, but Bayern are too strong.

General

Reaction score
Fav. Players
Roma have time to sort it out by February, still some good players there, Real Madrid under Benitez on the other hand suck, let's be honest.

It will be next year that Italy will prevail in the coefficient wars

Leicester FC to qualify for the CL and go 0-6 in the knockout rounds.

Massaro94

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maradona-Shevchenko-Zizou

How exactly will they sort it out ??? can't buy anyone as most of the top players would be cup tied.

Real might suck :thumbsup: but just like Milan they live for this competition and they will be looking to put this one to bed in the 1st leg. I expect another bayern style drubbing.

Massaro94

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maradona-Shevchenko-Zizou
Quick Q for the co-efficient force.

Is there any chance we can over take the bundesliga this year in the co-eff table ?

Mr Delicious

Banned
Reaction score
Although the current year isn't current, here is something to consider:

11/12 had a +4 for the EPL. The following 2 years are - combined 4 points for the EPL with a 6 point plus for Serie A in 14/15.

If Italy keeps it within a 2 point gap this year... It's basically a head to head race next year.

If Italy just keeps it close, the 14/15 6 point cushion gives them a few chances to overtake the EPL.

It would be great to see it happen this season, but it's still within striking distance for a few years
Insightful analysis .

One only has to click "2017" to come to the same conclusion.

General

Reaction score
Fav. Players

Mr Delicious

Banned
Reaction score

Italy has overtaken England in this season's tally :D :D:

http://kassiesa.home.xs4all.nl/bert/uefa/data/method4/crank2016.html

Long way to go yet, but I'm really hoping Fiorentina or Napoli meet an English side next.

England have three left in the CL and there in the EL
Italy two and three respectively..

Italy is currently 3.387 points behind England.. No more huge bonus points for this season and from Feb onwards it'll be straight knockout so the Italians will have time to recover their form and go far if they get a good draw

And yet, no one has been mentioning this

It's the simple stuff, Delish
Simple indeed

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Maldini, Buffon, Rino*Pirlo*Clarence, Sheva, Totti, Ibra, Pippo, Giacomo, Carlo, Il Dottore
I fully expect all Italian teams to get knocked out next round. This thread will then be closed till next season.

Casualista

Monsieur
Reaction score
I fully expect all Italian teams to get knocked out next round. This thread will then be closed till next season.

That's no way to promote sophisticated discussione where we analyze every foul call, every referee decision, every UEFA indecision against Italy this season.

Preferably with MB asking a few women for 'tits or gtfo' prior to that.

xerazon

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
What do you guys think about the Draws?

Champions League:

Paris SG - Chelsea
Roma - Real Madrid
Arsenal - Barcelona
Juventus - Bayern M?nchen
Dynamo Kiev - Manchester City

Europa League:

Midtjylland - Manchester United
Fiorentina -Tottenham
Villareal - Napoli
FC Augsburg - Liverpool
Galatasaray - Lazio

Personaly I think they are sadly in EPL's favor :/
Champions League wise, I think Chelsea and Arsenal are out - but so are Juve and Roma. Maybe Juve has a Chance but I think it's as small as Arsenals or Chelseas.

In the Europa League I thinks thinks will be decided for both leagues.
While Manchester United and Liverpool should go easy trough, the rest has a difficult task, and sadly this tasks are on the Italian side. I would consider having 3 teams in the next Round of both competitions a Big sucesess, as it would allow Serie A to keep up with the EPL coefficent Point wise.

What gives me hope though, is that Benitez and Van Gaal are chokers, but so is Rudi Garcia.

Polotelli

Milan Legend
SAPL Moderator
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maignan, Tomori, Kjaer, Theo, Bennacer, Leao, Giroud
hoping for a better return

xerazon

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
somewhat bad, but somewhat ok results.

Fiore is still in it - 1:1 not that bad.
Lazio the same, expect that they have the away goal - and i think they need it more then Fiore would.
Napoli should be able to beat Villarreal at home.

Roma is done, lets see if Juve can hurt Bayern again.

Hitman

Milan Legend
Reaction score
bad results... Napoli need 3-1 at home to qualify.. Viola didn't win at their home so they're forced to score two goals at Spurs.. Lazio were fairly comfortable and they're the ones in the best position to make it to the next round from all of the Italians.

Napoli and Juve being eliminated this early is a big blow for Italians in terms of the coefficients. This draw was very nasty to the Italians. If Viola managed to beat Spurs that'd be a direct KO to a direct competitor, it would mean a lot. And I believe United will have no issues making it through despite the miraculous result in the away leg.

Augsburg-Liverpool is an interesting battle between Germany-England...them two countries will be fighting it out for the 4th CL spot with Italy in the next 3-4 years. It is in Italy's advantage for English to lose this season so hopefully as many of them as possible get eliminated. I don't fancy Italy's chances of going far in Europe this year. It's too early still but I can't see Juve, Roma, Fiorentina, Napoli (a 2nd string Napoli btw) qualifying.

nonsonoqui

Io non ho cugini
Staff member
Reaction score
bad results... Napoli need 3-1 at home to qualify.. Viola didn't win at their home so they're forced to score two goals at Spurs.. Lazio were fairly comfortable and they're the ones in the best position to make it to the next round from all of the Italians.

Napoli and Juve being eliminated this early is a big blow for Italians in terms of the coefficients. This draw was very nasty to the Italians. If Viola managed to beat Spurs that'd be a direct KO to a direct competitor, it would mean a lot. And I believe United will have no issues making it through despite the miraculous result in the away leg.

Augsburg-Liverpool is an interesting battle between Germany-England...them two countries will be fighting it out for the 4th CL spot with Italy in the next 3-4 years. It is in Italy's advantage for English to lose this season so hopefully as many of them as possible get eliminated. I don't fancy Italy's chances of going far in Europe this year. It's too early still but I can't see Juve, Roma, Fiorentina, Napoli (a 2nd string Napoli btw) qualifying.

Or 2-0.

Roma are out.
Lazio have a good chance, and I think Napoli do as well.
Juve, I think, will beat Bayern Munich.

Fiorentina have the toughest task after Roma. Let's see how it all shapes up.

Schedule