Milan's greatest short term need is...

Milan needs immediate help the most in...

• Goalkeeping

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Rygaar

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
Today Milan played Udinese in the second round of their Coppa Italia and were trounced 1-4. After a first leg victory of 3-2, the aggregate score is Milan 4-6 Udinese.

This dismal result leads me to the inevitable question: Where on the pitch does Milan need to focus its investment over the next couple of years? Obviously management is always looking to upgrade everywhere, but where should it focus most of the immediate funds?

[I may be a year or two off on players ages; correct me if that is so]

In attack we have Shevchenko is 28 and Inzaghi 31 while Tomasson has not (and may never) make that step to a first team Milan-caliber striker. Unless something changes, Crespo is not ours.

In offensive midfield, our main players are Kaka (22) and Seedorf (26) with Dhorasso (30) and Rui Costa (32) to back them up. Pirlo is also a playmaker but is obviously in a category of his own with no backup on the squad. We also have Serginho who is our lone winger.

In defensive midfield, we have Gattuso and Ambrosini.

In goal, we have Dida and Abiatti.

Our defense is still world class, but not without its vulnerabilities.

Arguments can be made for any part of the pitch, particularly attack (Gilardino, Torres, Crespo) and at goal (Abiatti is likely to leave), but my opinion is different. Defense is where I think we need to most help. Although I believe we have one of the best three defensive lines in the world, it is aging as we all know. Furthermore, the bench doesn't provide much comfort; against Udinese, our bench provided plenty of scoring (4 goals in two matches: Ambrosini (2), Serginho (1), Tomasson (1)), but bad defending, allowing 6 goals to cross Abiatti's line. With Maldini, Stam, Cafu, Pancaro and Costacurta all past their prime, I think the main focus for short term upgrade should be here.

What do you guys think? Feel free to mention players you think can realistically be brought in.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Puyols would be a fantastic addition.....apparently he is looking to leave Barca and Milan have made it no secret in their interest in him......

acerвιc wιт

Milano Siamo Noi!
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Paolo Maldini, Thiago Silva, Serginho, Kaká, Gennaro Gattuso, Kevin Prince Boateng & Filippo Inzaghi
Rygaar said:
Today Milan played Udinese in the second round of their Coppa Italia and were trounced 1-4. After a first leg victory of 3-2, the aggregate score is Milan 4-6 Udinese.

This dismal result leads me to the inevitable question: Where on the pitch does Milan need to focus its investment over the next couple of years? Obviously management is always looking to upgrade everywhere, but where should it focus most of the immediate funds?

[I may be a year or two off on players ages; correct me if that is so]

In attack we have Shevchenko is 28 and Inzaghi 31 while Tomasson has not (and may never) make that step to a first team Milan-caliber striker. Unless something changes, Crespo is not ours.

In offensive midfield, our main players are Kaka (22) and Seedorf (26) with Dhorasso (30) and Rui Costa (32) to back them up. Pirlo is also a playmaker but is obviously in a category of his own with no backup on the squad. We also have Serginho who is our lone winger.

In defensive midfield, we have Gattuso and Ambrosini.

In goal, we have Dida and Abiatti.

Our defense is still world class, but not without its vulnerabilities.

Arguments can be made for any part of the pitch, particularly attack (Gilardino, Torres, Crespo) and at goal (Abiatti is likely to leave), but my opinion is different. Defense is where I think we need to most help. Although I believe we have one of the best three defensive lines in the world, it is aging as we all know. Furthermore, the bench doesn't provide much comfort; against Udinese, our bench provided plenty of scoring (4 goals in two matches: Ambrosini (2), Serginho (1), Tomasson (1)), but bad defending, allowing 6 goals to cross Abiatti's line. With Maldini, Stam, Cafu, Pancaro and Costacurta all past their prime, I think the main focus for short term upgrade should be here.

What do you guys think? Feel free to mention players you think can realistically be brought in.

we played with a second string line up, half these players havent played at all this season in Serie A considering that Udinese had an unchanged line up of course we were in shit, we played shithouse our defense was poor and not to mention goalkeeping

Reaction score
i voted for the defense...however i do really believe we need about 3-4 young players in our squad at least one in defense, attack and midfield...they dont have to be starting players just willing to sit on the bench and learn form our legends...they should be slowly phased into the team as the oldies retire...thats why i liked collocini and its a pity he is gone...i do like the idea of mancini from roma coming to milan and maybe replacing cafu when he retires!!!

Rygaar

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
San Paolo,

I'm fully aware that it is the second string who was beaten and that is what prompted my question. This defeat means that when many of our top players will have to step down (which will be soon for several of them) unless we have brought in reinforcements we will be very vulnerable. My question is essentially: since we can't expect to be able to buy worldclass talent everywhere at once, where should we focus our investments for the short term?

Rygaar

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
Mancini would be a great replacement for Cafu. Does he play on the right side?

gaizka22

Apprentice father
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
van Basten, Maldini, Zidane, Baresi, Maradona, Boban, Baggio, Matthaus, Costacurta
Rygaar said:
Mancini would be a great replacement for Cafu. Does he play on the right side?

Yes, very much. In fact Mancini was brought to Roma to replace Cafu who was going to play in Japan but (fortunatley) turned out playing for Milan. However, his form has slumped considerably from last season. He now plays on midfield since he scores many goals from his original position last season.

As right back, I was quite impressed with Zenoni (Christiano or Damiano?) in Sampdoria. When Il Samp came to the San Siro last week, he was quite impressive, helping the defense and sending in crosses.

milan03

Banned
Reaction score
WE NEED YOUTH IN ALL AREAS OF OUR TEAM..EVEN OUR MID....DONT YOU GUYS SEE THAT

WE ARE GOING TO BE NOTHING IN 5 YEARS WITH THE TEAM WE'VE GOT NOW :star:

Passion for *9*

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Rygaar said:
My question is essentially: since we can't expect to be able to buy worldclass talent everywhere at once, where should we focus our investments for the short term?
IMO we should change our policy + focus more on long-term investments. In 1-2 years 3/4 of our first AND second-string defense will retire + we'll have to find a bunch of top players within a very short timeframe. It's almost too late to be proactive now, so in order to not lose more time we should definitely start our renewal or overhaul with our backline. I hope for no more patchups, who are only good for a year max. due to their age + fitness, but players in their prime or close to it, aged 24-28. Some of them even younger would be better but I've given up hope on that...

Doesn't mean we're perfectly staffed in other departments, but you gotta start somewhere.

And of course it doesn't mean we should put the acquisition of Gilardino on the backburner...

Last edited:

DonippoKakaShevdini

Santo Baresi
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Der Franco
milan03 said:

Wait a second...I thought I just read somethign by you scolding everyone for not advocating David Beckham's arrival. Perhaps the pills have worn off...

Milan4Life

Primavera
Reaction score
i think that we should be bringing in some younger players and investing in some youth camps around the world. i think this will help develop newer younger players to come up through the milan youth, reserves and finally the actual squad.

Rygaar

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
No one would disagree with the fact that ultimately we need reinforcements everywhere, but as Passion said we have to start somewhere. Question is where is the greatest need?

persik

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
I think at first many forum visitors have to start investing in their brains, trying to see in Milan not a football manager or football simulator club but – the football club Milan with their own policy, traditions, good and bad sides.

First of all: Young player issues. Ye, ye,ye we all, we all need many wonderful young players, who will, who should, who bring, bla, bla ,bla. Look, Milan in fact since 1985 haven’t had almost any good youth team and it wasn’t Milan’s policy. First thing that did Berlusconi after buying Milan - was Sacchi and a huge amount of good, experienced players. That policy worked and works till now. Tough there were real mistakes and wasted money but there were a lot of trophies and wins.
Especially many lost points and hopes from 1997 – 2003 when a lot of players came and many went off in a year or two, showed nothing or not everything they were expected. Milan is a team - that need result, not in the future but now!!! And it is a fact and I think in Berlusconi era it would be so.
Milan have had many talented players who didn’t show anything – Viera, Davids, Kluivert, Sala, Rossini, Laursen, Jose Mari, Coloccini (btw last game for Depor he scored wining goal and plays pretty good so far in his new team on the RB position and as CB too, I say it for sure cause I watch regular Primero, especially Depor and Villareal). Milan had and wasted all of these players only during 5 or 6 years and it is not a full list, all of them were considered as talented and even huge talented and some of them became a real stars but not in Milan. I can remember only two young players who came in Milan during last 5 years and proved their class from the start, it is Shevchenko (23 was) and Kaka’ (21) So!

Besides, look at the players who were considered as a huge talents and the most wanted by the clubs at the start of this season – Mexes, Ferarri, Pandev, Javi Alonso, Kegman, Fabiano and Diego (Porto), Cavenaggi (Spartak Moscow now, really nothing), Maresca, also we can add here as man of bad season – Mancini, Portilio, Perotta, Brighi. Ye there are many reasons why all of them didn’t show what was expected and I hope such situation will be changed and they all become real stars. I only want to say that talent is only talent who has still to grow.

By the way, I hope Gilardino will come in Milan and will not be a new Rossini or Jose Mari

redondo

Banned
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maradona, Rivera, Redondo, Baresi, Riquelme, Aimar, Lucho, Mascherano, Tevez, Maxi, Pupi, Rosales
percik said:
I think at first many forum visitors have to start investing in their brains, trying to see in Milan not a football manager or football simulator club but – the football club Milan with their own policy, traditions, good and bad sides.

By the way, I hope Gilardino will come in Milan and will not be a new Rossini or Jose Mari
ya sure milan need alberto?

Cavenaggi (Spartak Moscow now, really nothing)
it is Cavenaghi not cavenaggi :o

he disappointed in moscow, i know him much better when he was here, i think ya see him more often.can ya inform me (honestly) on his failure.i mean genuine view.i know he is failure, i dont know reason.
dont go off topic for this favour.just send me a personal message.
gracias!

Kyara

¤ Il Poeta ¤
Reaction score
Fav. Players
MVB|Sheva|Max|Maldini|Kakà
redondo said:
ya sure milan need alberto?

it is Cavenaghi not cavenaggi :o
Mr "Argentina" starts to correct spelling too :rolleyes:

Improvement
yb665.gif

ARNOLD RIMMER

Second Technician
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Pippo, DeSciglio
milan03 said:

True, but we are not exactly going to be playing with the same team in 5 years are we? Besides the fact most of them will have retired.

ads216

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
We need a midfield playmaker, two defensive players and a striker. The most important requirement should be they all are under the age of 26. And every player over 30 should not be given a contract extension.

But the way we are going, the average age of the team keeps going up each year. When will this madness stop?

Passion for *9*

Milan Legend
Reaction score
ads216 said:
We need a midfield playmaker, two defensive players and a striker. The most important requirement should be they all are under the age of 26. And every player over 30 should not be given a contract extension.

But the way we are going, the average age of the team keeps going up each year. When will this madness stop?
I agree, we need reinforcements everywhere, even Abbiati has become a liability. I'd start with defenders simply because the guys we have will collectively + rapidly decline next year: Pancaro is already finished, Costacurta can play 1 match max + then needs an oxygen tent for 3 days... Stam plays 2 matches + then is 'injured' again... Cafu has clearly lost accuracy in his crosses compared to last season, you just can't expect a 34-year old to run the pitch end-to-end 95 min every matchday. Yea, our situation is serious + I won't be fooled by our current position in the table, let alone by PAST success.

Kyara

¤ Il Poeta ¤
Reaction score
Fav. Players
MVB|Sheva|Max|Maldini|Kakà
Passion for *9* said:
I agree, we need reinforcements everywhere, even Abbiati has become a liability
Against Udinese Abbiati was unbelievable :head: I've come to the point where I'd think he's letting the ball slip out of his hand/leg ( :conf: ) on purpose :rolleyes: He's literally costed us two Coppa campaigns, not that I care much anyways, but yeah, sell him :o

With the supposed arrival of Gila, the hopeful signing of Hernan ( :D ), the awaited departure of JDT ( :sleep: ) and the return of Pippo, things would seem a lot more attractive in the attack ... I was hoping to see Caracciolo there or perhaps Cassano (yeah right), but baldy is too useless ...
As far as Midfield is concerned, I don't really see a problem with it except for the necessity of someone to replace Rui who'd leave sooner or later regardless of his performances ... We have two of the best defensive mids, that is Rino and Max, along with Seedorf who will not be replaced (don't even dream of it), Brocchi and Dhorasoo for la panchina :rolleyes:

I am craving, however, for Marek's arrival as I have not seen decent crossing for ages, except for Cafu and Rui sometimes ... The defense will have to change sooner or later and it will happen En Sha Allah step by step 'cause we can't bring 3/4 top players at once and expect the ones we have to wave ciao ciao ...

Everything in its time ...

FORZA MILAN!!!

Andra

Primavera
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Kaka', Maldini, Sheva, Crespo, Nesta, Cafu, Dida, Gattuso, Pirlo, Inzaghi,
U know... it's kinda funny watching u guys "discuss" all this transfer stuff.... Don't u people know that the team managers have a really good plan for the next seasons...How do you know that they'll want to buy new players.... I thing that we should focus on the Milan junior side...the Primavera... in my oppinion, they are the future of this team...instead of buying world class players from other teams...we should grow our own.... in the worst case.... i am "pro" for buying a few young brazilian talents, like kaka', and not let other values from the club leave... I think we shouldn't sell Tomasson... he is just "asleep".... i am sure he is having a bad periond...but we can't just sell him like that...every great player has bad periods... so did sheva, as i recall, in 2002/2003 season, but with his help we lifted the Champions League.... So i think we should give secod string players like JDT, Dhorasoo etc. a second chance.... This is madness... How can u not offer a contract extension to over 30 year olds....???... We don't need only youth... we also need EXPERIENCE...... i recall the manchester united fans calling our defence " a group of pensioneers"... but let me tell u that this group of pensioneers is the best in the serie a... a championship in which defence is the key... y do u ppl see things like a disaster...as long as every1 is doing his job, i am contenrt...

Last edited:

Luis

You'll never drink alone!
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Pelé, Shevchenko, Zamorano, Salas & Alexis Sánchez
Goalkeeper and Defence

At the goalkeeping position we have: Dida, Abbiati and Fiori, what else could you ask ?

We should keep (I think):
Maldini - we should be looking for a replacement for the near future
Kaladze
Simic
Nesta
Stam
Costacurta - we shouldn't look for a replacement since we still have Maldini
Cafú - Don't know if he is going to keep his speed and stamina - maybe we should get some younger right back

We should get rid of:
Pancaro - Should be expeled from Milan, he really sucks!

Last edited:

Luis

Reaction score
Fav. Players
Midfield

I think we should keep:
Gattuso - simply the best
Pirlo - very good
Dhorasoo - a good sub.
Seedorf - if Marek arrives, he would be a perfect sub for Marek
Kaká - He has a lot to offer, he is only 23

and we should sell:
Brocchi - we have to simply get rid of him, he is too mediocre for Milan
Rui Costa - there are better and younger players around in his position
Serginho - old, and past it (a long time ago)
Ambrosini - too good for a sub, he should get first team play in some other team

Last edited:

Luis

Reaction score
Fav. Players
Attack

We should keep:
Shevchenko

We should sell:
Inzaghi
Tomasson
Crespo

and we should get:
Gilardino
Luca Toni
Caracciolo or Cassano :p

Last edited:

Oma_B

Starting Eleven
Reaction score
Fav. Players
SHEVA,BLOKHIN,Rui, Maldini, Okocha, Ronny D, Hagi, Cryuff, MVB, Belanov n Yashin
wow does it get any better than this????

pixiraver

Acmilan Legend
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Ronaldinho, okocha, shevchenko, inzaghi, maradona, romario
milan03 said:

I agree with u milano3 but with money we could buy new players,but i think we should have a good youth system where we can recruit players just like barca,arsenal and manutd.

ads216

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Milan's greatest short term need is Geritol, Depends and some wheel chairs for the players who're just about ready for the nursing home!

ads216

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
Milan's greatest short term need is Geritol, Depends and some wheel chairs for the players who're just about ready for the nursing home!

Passion for *9*

Milan Legend
Reaction score
ads216 said:
Evil !!!!! But didn't u recently have a change of mind, declaring Crespo is allright + welcome ? You meant to test the heavy-duty Depends, eh ? :tongue:

Besi

¤ TheSaint ¤
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Maldini , Kaká
r3dman said:
Crespo isn't ours to sell!

Even if he was ours .. where we would sell him ? maybe to my city team Shkendija :D , they have some money to spent .. not bad idea..

Schedule