Ricardo Rodriguez Thread

ROSSONERI7

Myself
Reaction score
https://www.football-italia.net/135015/gattuso-milan-reaction-bodes-well

GATTUSO:
“I didn’t like the first half performance, as we were moving the ball around with no impact, we at most tickled Empoli rather than hurt them. I got very angry, as we were almost caught on the counter with both full-backs pushing up and that must not happen.

knowing the player, having seen how he naturally play (up the pitch) ... it's pretty obvious to anyone with common sense that he has been instructed to not go up as much for the team to keep some defensive shape.

at some point during this game, during an attack on the other side, you could hear Gattuso frantically screaming "Ricardo! Ricardo! Ricardo! Ricky!..." then you see Rodriguez, who was out of the picture, retreat back from a higher position...

Alo88

Milan Legend
Reaction score
https://www.football-italia.net/135015/gattuso-milan-reaction-bodes-well

knowing the player, having seen how he naturally play (up the pitch) ... it's pretty obvious to anyone with common sense that he has been instructed to not go up as much for the team to keep some defensive shape.

at some point during this game, during an attack on the other side, you could hear Gattuso frantically screaming "Ricardo! Ricardo! Ricardo! Ricky!..." then you see Rodriguez, who was out of the picture, retreat back from a higher position...

Similiar thing happened in the Atalanta game. We all wished some more initiative from him, but not so Rino. As long as he hits some of those nice crosses like in the 1st half when Paquetas goal got cancelled, I‘m fine witht hat.

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Maldini, Buffon, Rino*Pirlo*Clarence, Sheva, Totti, Ibra, Pippo, Giacomo, Carlo, Il Dottore
Yup clear validation from Gattuso’s comments last night that RicRod has been instructed to stay deep. It has nothing to do with his talents or characteristics, that is the Milan tactic. And it makes a lot of sense.

Pingu

American Calcio Milan
Stream Guru
Reaction score
Yup clear validation from Gattuso’s comments last night that RicRod has been instructed to stay deep. It has nothing to do with his talents or characteristics, that is the Milan tactic. And it makes a lot of sense.

Definitely better to have Conti/Calabria attack down the right and have RR slot in as a 3rd CB when we're going forward. I understand why Gattuso wants it like this, considering RR isn't exactly fast. Nice to see sometimes he does go forward though as he has a great cross on him.

MilanMB

Serendipity
Reaction score

So what you're saying here is that if RR had the attacking talent and characteristics of day Marcelo - the tactics would be the same?

He's been more average than below average lately and that's good I guess, but definitely a weak point in this team.

Rumpelstiltskin

Milan Icon
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Daniel Maldini.
So what you're saying here is that if RR had the attacking talent and characteristics of day Marcelo - the tactics would be the same?

He's been more average than below average lately and that's good I guess, but definitely a weak point in this team.
In that case, he would've probably played Abate as a more defensive minded RB instead of Conti/Calabria.

ROSSONERI7

Myself
Reaction score
this is pretty easy to understand. and that has been the tactics since the season started.
there's no way a guy who likes to go forward all of a sudden stops.

no 2 FBs pushing up. straigth out of the coach's Mouth... 1 attacks and 1 stays down to make sure there are 3 defenders back when caught on the counter.

if RR had Marcelo's Attacking Characteristics, then the other FB would have been asked to stay down (you would probably be shitting on the RB then)

he is asked to do a job and he is doing it very well, period.

i see 3 logical reasons why he is the one chosen to stay down:

1. he can defend better than the other FB (whether it's Calabria or Conti)

2. they (our RBs) are more athletic, therefore can track back faster

3. Suso was the main creator until Paqueta arrived, Hakan "on Vacation" so everything went through the right side, so it's normal that the FB on that side supports him.
and Suso's Form earlier in the season has a lot to do with Calabria (and Kessier) making runs to get mens off Suso (and his increased use of his right foot as well)

P.S: point #3 raise another question about Hakan. sure, he has been bad until recently...but would having his FB help him more higher up the field would have helped him string 2-3 decent matches in a row earlier in the season to get his confidence and form back a little earlier?
it's no coincidence that it's happening now that Paqueta is here, as he provides that help going forward. they mix and match and combine very well up there to destabilize the opponents.

Alo88

Milan Legend
Reaction score

Actually yes, if you believe Rinos words. He even said somewhere in a post Match interview - don't know if it was for DAZN, Sky or Milan TV - that at one point in the 1st half he was very angry because both FBs were attacking simultaneously while leaving the two CBs alone with Empolis attackers.

I think Gattuso wants one FB to cover with the two CBs while the other attacks. RR is by characteristics not as offensive as Calabria or now Conti, but defensively better, which led into him being usually the guy to stay behind even when he'd liked going forward more often.

RR, even when he had Real or Bayern observing him, never was the player to run down the ground line a la Marcelo. However Marcelo was born winger if I reckon well, meaning having the speed and the dribbling of a winger, meaning obviously being that kind of offensive FB he is. RRs strengths are elsewhere. For example, to me it looks like he's attempting way more of that long crosses from the trequarti than before now that we have a Piatek attacking the depth as well as Paqueta. Total different story with Higuain and injured Bonaventura without Paqueta if you ask me.

necromancer

Lo Stile di Pioli
Staff member
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Nesta, Maldini, Buffon, Rino*Pirlo*Clarence, Sheva, Totti, Ibra, Pippo, Giacomo, Carlo, Il Dottore
It's not rocket science really.. Montella had the same idea. One FB attacks, one stays deep. RicRod fits the deep role to the T so far.

If we play Laxalt on the left, it's likelier that we'll play Abate on the right to get that balance. Or even Calabria in a defensive role - he has been getting better at maintaining a deep defensive line this season.

MilanMB

Serendipity
Reaction score
You absolute n00bs. It's very rare that both FB's are attacking at the same time, in any team. What would even be the point of that? Again, the reason why RB attacks and not our fantastic LB is that our LB sucks at it. This is negative for us because it's predictive - opponents know that our wide attacks will be coming from the right side, and they usually do a good job doubling down on Suso.

brk

Milan Legend
Reaction score
You absolute n00bs. It's very rare that both FB's are attacking at the same time, in any team. What would even be the point of that? Again, the reason why RB attacks and not our fantastic LB is that our LB sucks at it. This is negative for us because it's predictive - opponents know that our wide attacks will be coming from the right side, and they usually do a good job doubling down on Suso.

Right, which is why we overload the left side with Hakan and Paqueta, with Rodriguez giving an easy option for a safe pass to recycle.

MilanMB

Serendipity
Reaction score
ok i'm sorry guys, RR is Roberto Carlos and Milan is keeping him prisoner as defensiv LB.

MilanMB

Serendipity
Reaction score
The guy is painfully average in everything he does... i can't believe he of all people is getting a pass here :lol:

helloAgain

Milan Veteran
Reaction score
he is our best player in terms of building the play from back. so there you go he is great at at least one thing.

Thenebra

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Well when we win everybody is good. But as soon as we start loosing hakan and rr are the first names that come up.

I would say he is average at best.

MilanMB

Serendipity
Reaction score
Well when we win everybody is good. But as soon as we start loosing hakan and rr are the first names that come up.

I would say he is average at best.

yes, this is what i'm saying as well.

at best, he is average. usually he's not at his best though.

Birsaforever

I hate Pink Floyd
Reaction score
He's one of the first players that comes into my mind when i think which one i would like to replace with an upgrade, but this season he has been definitely above average.

vidarth

Ibra Supremacy
Reaction score
Fav. Players
Sheva, Ibrahimovic, Kaka, Nesta, Maldini, Gattuso, Seedorf, Ronaldinho
I think what they mean is switching play to the right :lol:

He's actually good at that.

MilanMB

Serendipity
Reaction score
Imagine getting subbed and getting replaced by the RB because you're absolutely useless in every possible way. That's Rodriguez.

MilanMB

Serendipity
Reaction score
Easily my most disliked player in the squad. Reminds me of the feelings I had towards Balotelli when he was here.

Burlesqoni

Milan Legend
Reaction score
That's pretty harsh. Balotelli could teach fan triggering at universities.

MilanMB

Serendipity
Reaction score
Susos form is much worse.

Absolutely but I just dislike RR more. At least with Suso you know there's a chance and some hope that he can produce some magic. With RR I'm always wondering how bad will he be today...

Alo88

Milan Legend
Reaction score
Disgusting display. Should be benched against Udinese.

MB, I think your overestimating Suso (maybe as much as I'm overestimating RR). It's the third season in a row where Suso has more pathetic games than good ones in one season. Maybe those one-two good months we see from him every season are him overperforming, not him playing at his usual level. Maybe his usual level is that what we see 70% of the rest of the season.