The Red & Black Forums | An AC Milan Community The Red & Black Forums | An AC Milan Community The Red & Black Forums | An AC Milan Community

Go Back   The Red & Black Forums > AC Milan > AC Milan Discussions

AC Milan Discussions Talk about AC Milan's tactics, AC Milan news, events, history, etc., in here. Also find out details on how to travel to Milan and buy AC Milan tickets.

View Poll Results: Who was a better striker
Ronaldo 1 11.11%
Marco Van Basten 5 55.56%
They were both equally good since Marco wasn't that fast and Ronaldo couldn't head a beach ball 3 33.33%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Old 19-02-2008, 17:38   #1
drucurl
Banned

Fav. Players: Ronaldo, Maldini, Nesta, Kaká, Ba, Silva
Default Ronaldo OR Van Basten

What made me make this thread (other than ultra-fanboyism ) was the goal.com article where Fabio Capello - the same guy that Benched Ronaldo and PLAYED Van Basten said that Ronaldo was better It makes me wonder....who would you choose and why...Thanks for your participation.

(p.s. vote Ronaldo )

Last edited by drucurl; 19-02-2008 at 18:12.
drucurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2008, 18:10   #2
Besfort
AC Milan Icon

Both of them were magnificent players, with the same eye for goal, and a winning spirit.

But if we watch the facts, Ronaldo may be a bit more higher level than Marco was.
Ronaldo holds records, than everyone would love to break it.

Van Basten has 3 Golden Balls, Ronaldo has 2 (+1) robbed from Sammer in 1996.

Van Basten has won the CL, but Ronaldo the World Cup and holds the record of all time top goalscorer.

I would give my vote to Marco, if Ronaldo wouldn't been a Milan player (That would be a fan vote), but this time I was talking the honest and my opinion.

So, Ronaldo.

Signature
Besfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2008, 18:14   #3
drucurl
Banned

Man above me:
Although Ronaldo has one less Golden Ball (then again everybody is supposed to have only two right ) He has the RECORD for most WOPY....along with zidane
Old 19-02-2008, 19:44   #4
milanissimo
AC Milan Legend

Fav. Players: van basten, pirlo, nesta, kaka`

Ppl MVB has finished career very young+i don`t know how can some ppl judge him if they have never watched him to play(LIVE)....
Those r players that have played in 2 different times and i dunno if this comparison is right.But if i have to choose....
I had honour to watch them both and with all respect for Ronie MVB was better IMO

Last edited by milanissimo; 19-02-2008 at 21:39.
milanissimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2008, 20:29   #5
radioactivenerd
Gol de Pablitooooo

Fav. Players: Maldini, Batistuta, Crespo, Aimar, Roberto Carlos, Totti, Ayala, Rui Costa, Nesta, BARAJA

Ahem...drucurl...

You forgot to add Crespo to the Poll!

Signature

Save Us

radioactivenerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2008, 13:38   #6
CanUNoTouch
Gone all Pete Tong

Fav. Players: There are far too many to name past & present

My 2 favourite strikers ever.

It depends on what time of the week/month it is when you ask me who is better, I'll always give a different answer.
CanUNoTouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2008, 16:57   #7
karish
Kaka

Fav. Players: R9,kaka,Pato,Sheva,R80,Seedorf

Ronnie is the best ever
karish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2008, 17:47   #8
drucurl
Banned

man above me:
don't forget to vote...MVB is leading
Old 20-02-2008, 18:42   #9
Centre
AC Milan Legend

Yes MVB retired early due to injury (28 or 29) but Ronaldo isnt much older than that and he missed time last time he screwed up his knee so when you think about they both played for relatively the same amount of time (give or take)...

At any rate... I would take Ronnie.

Man above me:

I voted. They are tied now.

Signature

Quote:
Originally Posted by Congo Powers View Post
AC MILAN. we big dick. deal with it.
Centre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2008, 18:50   #10
Besfort
AC Milan Icon

Dru should've add another option on pool "They both sucked"

Signature
Besfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2008, 18:53   #11
Centre
AC Milan Legend

man above me:
Thats what i wanted to pick but it wasnt a choice.

Signature

Quote:
Originally Posted by Congo Powers View Post
AC MILAN. we big dick. deal with it.
Centre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2008, 19:03   #12
Sasha
The UNBANNABLE One

Fav. Players: Azzurri e Rossoneri

Voted MVB, my father's idol.

Signature

MILAN
Sasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2008, 19:36   #13
lia
yada yada

Fav. Players: Mané Garrincha, Kaká, Nesta, Ronaldo

I voted for Ronaldo. I didn't follow MVB career very much (was too young) but I've seen footage and could see what a player he was (same with Pelé and Garrincha ). They're both excellent players, of course, and they both played for Milan (although MVB has so much more history with the club), but with Ronnie there's an extra factor: emotion. I have some fine memories from NT games (WC esp.) that I watched and he brought so much joy to me.

Signature
lia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2008, 19:47   #14
Andromeda
^AC.Milan Girl^

Fav. Players: Paolo Maldini

although i'm not following MVB career live.. but my bro influenced me.he is die hard MVB mania.so i voted for MVB MAN IS LEGEND

Signature
Life Goes On
Andromeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2008, 19:55   #15
drucurl
Banned

The poll is heating up with MVB ever so slightly ahead....I think Capello has to register at R&B
Old 21-02-2008, 14:08   #16
gaizka22
Apprentice father

Fav. Players: van Basten, Maldini, Zidane, Baresi, Maradona, Boban, Baggio, Matthaus, Costacurta

MvBasten is the closest thing to a complete player. For a 6’3” player, moves like a 5’5” player. He can do anything. Shoot with both feet, dribble, headings and passing. The last 2 are something that Ronaldo isn’t capable. When it comes to speed, both are equally impressive. Ronaldo in 96 – 98 can run very fast but MvBasten on his best playing days can run 100 meter under 11 seconds. Ronaldo’s strength is on his dribbling and skill to get goals while MvBasten can create magic from almost nothing.

Medal collection from National Team, Ronaldo is definitely ahead of MvBasten because of the World Cup win in 02 and his goals in 3 WC. Throughout his career, MvBasten only played in 4 World Cup games and scored 0. He only have the Euro 88 medal to boast.

Club wise, MvBasten is ahead of Ronaldo. Ronnie won 2 UEFA Cups, 1 Inter Continental Cup and 1 Spanish La Liga. MvBasten won 3 Scudetto, 2 Champions Cup, 2 European Super Cup, 2 Inter Continental Cup.

In terms of legacy. I still have the feeling that MvBasten is ahead of Ronnie (although I can be VERY biased since he is my fave player of all time). His last game ever was in May 93 when he was only 28 (after 4 months lay off). He still have at least 3-4 good seasons ahead of him. He was forced to retire when he was at his peak. And in 92 he was at his best season ever before injury cut him short in November 92. He scored 12 goals in 9 league games, and who can forget that 4 goals vs IFK Gothenborg.

In the list of FIFA all time greatest player, MvBasten was voted in number 9. Ahead of him are the usual suspects like Maradone, Pele, Di Stefano, Puskas, Cruyff, Beckenbauer, Platini (in no particular order). I can’t help think how he will be rated if injury doesn’t cut him short.

Capello said Ronaldo is better. He earns the right to say that. But let’s put it this way. He is a very tough and hard coach. He never smiled or applause when his team scores or won something important. The most he will do is nod his head in agreement. But he cried in the San Siro dug out and didn’t hide his tears from the camera when on August 18, 1995 MvBasten stepped on the field for a lap of honor to thank the tifosi.

Lastly, IMO Ronaldo embodied how the game should be played beautifully with all his step over, dribbling, speed and tricks. MvBasten is God's answer if we can ask Him to make us a complete player.

Signature
If there’s a God, you must see Him in your heart
If there’s a soul, you must perceive it
Otherwise, it is better not to believe
It is better to be an outspoken atheist
Than to become a religious hypocrite
gaizka22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2008, 14:19   #17
Wild
*Rejuvenation*

Fav. Players: Baresi - Maldini - Nesta - Jessica Alba

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaizka22
MvBasten is the closest thing to a complete player. For a 6’3” player, moves like a 5’5” player. He can do anything. Shoot with both feet, dribble, headings and passing. The last 2 are something that Ronaldo isn’t capable. When it comes to speed, both are equally impressive. Ronaldo in 96 – 98 can run very fast but MvBasten on his best playing days can run 100 meter under 11 seconds. Ronaldo’s strength is on his dribbling and skill to get goals while MvBasten can create magic from almost nothing.

Medal collection from National Team, Ronaldo is definitely ahead of MvBasten because of the World Cup win in 02 and his goals in 3 WC. Throughout his career, MvBasten only played in 4 World Cup games and scored 0. He only have the Euro 88 medal to boast.

Club wise, MvBasten is ahead of Ronaldo. Ronnie won 2 UEFA Cups, 1 Inter Continental Cup and 1 Spanish La Liga. MvBasten won 3 Scudetto, 2 Champions Cup, 2 European Super Cup, 2 Inter Continental Cup.

In terms of legacy. I still have the feeling that MvBasten is ahead of Ronnie (although I can be VERY biased since he is my fave player of all time). His last game ever was in May 93 when he was only 28 (after 4 months lay off). He still have at least 3-4 good seasons ahead of him. He was forced to retire when he was at his peak. And in 92 he was at his best season ever before injury cut him short in November 92. He scored 12 goals in 9 league games, and who can forget that 4 goals vs IFK Gothenborg.

In the list of FIFA all time greatest player, MvBasten was voted in number 9. Ahead of him are the usual suspects like Maradone, Pele, Di Stefano, Puskas, Cruyff, Beckenbauer, Platini (in no particular order). I can’t help think how he will be rated if injury doesn’t cut him short.

Capello said Ronaldo is better. He earns the right to say that. But let’s put it this way. He is a very tough and hard coach. He never smiled or applause when his team scores or won something important. The most he will do is nod his head in agreement. But he cried in the San Siro dug out and didn’t hide his tears from the camera when on August 18, 1995 MvBasten stepped on the field for a lap of honor to thank the tifosi.

Lastly, IMO Ronaldo embodied how the game should be played beautifully with all his step over, dribbling, speed and tricks. MvBasten is God's answer if we can ask Him to make us a complete player.

MVB made football simple while Ronaldo made it a joy.
If I had 2 pick 2 strikers it will surely b Ronaldo + MVB.

Signature
Wild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2008, 14:42   #18
PRIYO
World Cup Winner

Fav. Players: Kaká, Sheva, Sergio Claudio, Ibra.

Why is sheva not in the poll?

I voted for MVB.
PRIYO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2008, 14:47   #19
drucurl
Banned

MVB starting to take the lead like the winner he is Can Ronaldo make up the lost ground
Old 21-02-2008, 15:12   #20
karish
Kaka

Fav. Players: R9,kaka,Pato,Sheva,R80,Seedorf

I voted already dru Ronnie for live
karish is offline   Reply With Quote